ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 1/15/16

Nate Johnson has cancelled his visit. Going to ND instead. Seems like he's out Harbaughing Harbaugh

Good stuff ChiTownLion!

SHAKA TONEY
#7 Senior DE OLB
Imhotep Charter High School
Philadelphia, PA

Lucky 7⃣
@toney_7
Offense Defense All American| Penn State Commit|A
2764.png
|PA All State 1st team 3A Defensive player of the year team All PA defensive 1st team USA All State All city

CZNO5LXWAAczmQF.jpg:large

Lucky 7⃣ ‏@toney_7 2h2 hours ago

#WeAre #pennstate #dapride16
1f535.png
26aa.png
@coachjfranklin @Coach_Gattis

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Amir Watts was offered who is a DT out of Chicago. Rhane visited him yesterday. Currently his schedule is full. Only way I could see us getting him would be if he cancelled an OV somewhere else and visited PSU. On the positive flip side, we are hosting Kyzir White, the WVU JUCO S commit, on the 22nd and Nate Johnson, Michigan WR commit, on the 29th. I think White seems like a kind of likely flip at this point and I think it shows that it is unlikely that Golden will start next year.

In The Battle:
3* DT Watts

ps. Rivals has him as a 4-star.

Bigger question right now is do we get another commit at all? Maybe a WR is all?

Not going to lie, a little discouraged. Its not looking good for Hill, Hamlin and now a bit worried since Ferns did and could not make trip.

Would like one or two of the DBs in Hamlin or Hill and Ferns and I would be happy.

Snelson or the other WR committed to Temple look like our best chance and maybe Hudson if Michigan won't take him. We need LB and DT first and foremost.

Bigger question right now is do we get another commit at all? Maybe a WR is all?

Not going to lie, a little discouraged. Its not looking good for Hill, Hamlin and now a bit worried since Ferns did and could not make trip.

Would like one or two of the DBs in Hamlin or Hill and Ferns and I would be happy.

Snelson or the other WR committed to Temple look like our best chance and maybe Hudson if Michigan won't take him. We need LB and DT first and foremost.

Nope. No other commits.

Reactions: Agoodnap
As it stands, this class is a good class. But with all the very late offers out there, it is clear that the staff is scrambling. I'm hoping that this poor finish is the last of its kind for CJF and co.

clearly DT and LB are the top priorities. due to being light on these positions in the past 4 classes, we now have to get guys who are ready to play very soon. we lost the luxury of developing players over 3-4 years at these positions.

hoping we hold the current verbally committed players intact.

my only concern is that the media = and recruits are holding Franklin accountable for his CURRENT results on the field. nobody is recognizing he had a team totally gutted from the illegal sanctions. this year was always going to be the low (or even 2016). it seems that the media has forgotten that PSU took this hit. If Franklin cannot recruit top 10 the next few years, he will have to win with less talent than some of his opponents.

JF class 2014 = held all verbals
JF class 2015 = lost 2 verbals - Wimbush hurt
JF class 2016 = not sure but certainly more seem to be looking than we have seen the last two years.

This is sad. I feel really bad for this kid as he has it rough. I really hope his playing football and getting a degree can help him and his family. I have to think at this point it is going to be Temple, but we shouldn't stop talking to him just in case.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Keep the faith folks!

IMO, and only IMO, we will land 5 more recruits.

Not sure which ones but it will total 5.

Even if it ends up being just outside a top-ten class, it is a really nice job by CJF & staff considering all that has gone on the last several years.

Keep the faith folks!

clearly DT and LB are the top priorities. due to being light on these positions in the past 4 classes, we now have to get guys who are ready to play very soon. we lost the luxury of developing players over 3-4 years at these positions.

hoping we hold the current verbally committed players intact.

my only concern is that the media = and recruits are holding Franklin accountable for his CURRENT results on the field. nobody is recognizing he had a team totally gutted from the illegal sanctions. this year was always going to be the low (or even 2016). it seems that the media has forgotten that PSU took this hit. If Franklin cannot recruit top 10 the next few years, he will have to win with less talent than some of his opponents.

JF class 2014 = held all verbals
JF class 2015 = lost 2 verbals - Wimbush hurt
JF class 2016 = not sure but certainly more seem to be looking than we have seen the last two years.

Losing Wimbush did NOT hurt for Pete's sake!!

Stop it already. Maybe it hurt cosmetically in recruiting but not on the field.

I like ya sir but you are not correct on Wimbush.

Losing Wimbush did NOT hurt for Pete's sake!!

Stop it already. Maybe it hurt cosmetically in recruiting but not on the field.

I like ya sir but you are not correct on Wimbush.
I'm not sure if I agree with that, Glov - just my opinion, but I think Wimbush would have been our starting quarterback in 2016 if he had signed with us.

My concern if we do not land any other big fish is this. Franklin was brought in and lets be honest in his 2 years his biggest attribute has been "selling" and recruiting the program.

Now that we have seen him coach 2 years, granted with lesser players than a normal PSU should have, we still had many winnable games, its not like we had Indiana or Purdue type talent, I would not say his strength is in game coaching.

So his #1 strength is recruiting which can help cover up some coaching deficiencies. If that starts falling off he and we are in a little trouble. Now that can all change with a couple of big wins next year etc.

But for as much hype around Franklin's recruiting classes, do many here not think the PSU brand, location, academics, etc would sell 75% of these recruits anyway.

Just concerned, he gets a few years in my book to go about business of course, no doubt. But now that the honeymoon period has rubbed off and this recruiting class is not shaping up to be where it was headed I am not panicked but a little concerned.

I guess thats because we are chasing championships here, not 8 win seasons. I see more similarities to a Brady Hoke at this point than a Nick Saban.

He needs to finish up this class strong. We need a guy who puts his hats on the table on or near signing day and changes the tide for us like a Hill or Hamlin. We need that injection of confidence in emotion. Perhaps we don't need it but I WANT it badly.

Menet and Sanders were huge recruits to get in, program changing one's. I am just shocked more have not come aboard with those two and all the youth on this team. The media can jade us one way and so can other coaches but there is a lot of talent here in the wings.

I think the Urban and Harbaugh thing and now Sparty has people looking at us like we have no change for a while. That hurts and it seems to be rubbing off into our cycle this year.

I am shocked we did not convince a kid to commit this weekend. We need a boost here soon.

Reactions: grinagrin
Keep the faith folks!

IMO, and only IMO, we will land 5 more recruits.

Not sure which ones but it will total 5.

Even if it ends up being just outside a top-ten class, it is a really nice job by CJF & staff considering all that has gone on the last several years.

Keep the faith folks!

Five? Who?

We are now offering a Pitt kid at WR with 2 of the same letters to start his name who was an offer sheet that is below mediocre at best. This should never happen if we are dominating the state at PSU. Never unless we are still under sanctions.

Would be different if it was a Allen Robinson who Paterno went after as an under developed kid with a ton of talent (he went to my high school, he was that and more) from the get go, but not scrambling with 11 days left to sign kids.

Seemed all in on Nixon until the last couple weeks. Did they not offer enough kids or what? These are just fair questions that anyone should be asking.

We are now offering a Pitt kid at WR with 2 of the same letters to start his name who was an offer sheet that is below mediocre at best. This should never happen if we are dominating the state at PSU. Never unless we are still under sanctions.

Would be different if it was a Allen Robinson who Paterno went after as an under developed kid with a ton of talent (he went to my high school, he was that and more) from the get go, but not scrambling with 11 days left to sign kids.

Seemed all in on Nixon until the last couple weeks. Did they not offer enough kids or what? These are just fair questions that anyone should be asking.

Counting on the FL recruits going forward will always be sketchy at best. Im wondering if theres a backup plan in case the IMG recruits stay south.

My concern if we do not land any other big fish is this. Franklin was brought in and lets be honest in his 2 years his biggest attribute has been "selling" and recruiting the program.

Now that we have seen him coach 2 years, granted with lesser players than a normal PSU should have, we still had many winnable games, its not like we had Indiana or Purdue type talent, I would not say his strength is in game coaching.

So his #1 strength is recruiting which can help cover up some coaching deficiencies. If that starts falling off he and we are in a little trouble. Now that can all change with a couple of big wins next year etc.

But for as much hype around Franklin's recruiting classes, do many here not think the PSU brand, location, academics, etc would sell 75% of these recruits anyway.

Just concerned, he gets a few years in my book to go about business of course, no doubt. But now that the honeymoon period has rubbed off and this recruiting class is not shaping up to be where it was headed I am not panicked but a little concerned.

I guess thats because we are chasing championships here, not 8 win seasons. I see more similarities to a Brady Hoke at this point than a Nick Saban.

He needs to finish up this class strong. We need a guy who puts his hats on the table on or near signing day and changes the tide for us like a Hill or Hamlin. We need that injection of confidence in emotion. Perhaps we don't need it but I WANT it badly.

Menet and Sanders were huge recruits to get in, program changing one's. I am just shocked more have not come aboard with those two and all the youth on this team. The media can jade us one way and so can other coaches but there is a lot of talent here in the wings.

I think the Urban and Harbaugh thing and now Sparty has people looking at us like we have no change for a while. That hurts and it seems to be rubbing off into our cycle this year.

I am shocked we did not convince a kid to commit this weekend. We need a boost here soon.

Whaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
th

I think this is a very fair and measured post. I get the sense you support Franklin and by no means are panicking, but express valid concerns. Be careful though, this board will tell you to "put on your big boy pants, don't be sissy", probably call you a troll at some point and question your fandom. Look, I like Franklin, and honestly, we need continuity right now. I want him to succeed in a big way and I think the hiring of some of these new coaches is really going to help, but I think its fair to question his coaching acumen a bit. Sanctions or not, there seemed to be little improvement on any area of the team week in and week out this year. There were very few times I said "wow, that was different, thats a good way to attack this defense considering our lack of talent on the O-line." Or "wow, thats a good time to run a fake punt or go for a fourth down conversion." I just don't think Franklin is a great X's and O's guy, he is no Saban, and that's OKAY. He needs to surround himself with smart/proven people, and I think he has answered that bell this off-season a bit. He needs to be a mega recruiter as well, and he still needs to answer that bell a bit, but considering all the program has been through, I think he has done an admirable job in that department, but needs to take a step up next year if we are gonna catch Mich/OSU. He can be a figurehead like a Les Miles, but you better be able to go out and get some hogs on that D-line and recruit your ass off.

I hope that PSU does not chase championships. Richt fired. Miles almost fired. I will take what Joe started. 9 win seasons done the right way with an occasionally run at national championships. I also don't share your pessimism. Harbough is on the upswing Meyer is Myer. Franklin will get his share and more when PSU begins to compete with OSU, UM, and MSU, but it will be in 2017 or 2018. So that means 2018 or 2019 recruiting classes. It is amazing that Franklin has recruited as well as has under the circumstances.

I think this is a very fair and measured post. I get the sense you support Franklin and by no means are panicking, but express valid concerns. Be careful though, this board will tell you to "put on your big boy pants, don't be sissy", probably call you a troll at some point and question your fandom. Look, I like Franklin, and honestly, we need continuity right now. I want him to succeed in a big way and I think the hiring of some of these new coaches is really going to help, but I think its fair to question his coaching acumen a bit. Sanctions or not, there seemed to be little improvement on any area of the team week in and week out this year. There were very few times I said "wow, that was different, thats a good way to attack this defense considering our lack of talent on the O-line." Or "wow, thats a good time to run a fake punt or go for a fourth down conversion." I just don't think Franklin is a great X's and O's guy, he is no Saban, and that's OKAY. He needs to surround himself with smart/proven people, and I think he has answered that bell this off-season a bit. He needs to be a mega recruiter as well, and he still needs to answer that bell a bit, but considering all the program has been through, I think he has done an admirable job in that department, but needs to take a step up next year if we are gonna catch Mich/OSU. He can be a figurehead like a Les Miles, but you better be able to go out and get some hogs on that D-line and recruit your ass off.
With your Saban point, don't you think it's a lot easier to be a "great X's and O's guy" when you have the best players in the country by a wide, gulfing margin?

Reactions: bmw199
With your Saban point, don't you think it's a lot easier to be a "great X's and O's guy" when you have the best players in the country by a wide, gulfing margin?

I do, good point, a little chicken and egg thing to consider here.

Oh yes I have been called such especially by the guy who has the name Franklin is his screen name. LOL

It does not bother me, its kind of like Freeh calling Joe a master mind of a cover up.

What does bother me is the downward swing our recruiting class has been heading and continued today with Dwumfour commit. Not panicked, concerned. My hope is that the 2 new offensive coaches light a fire and give us something we have not seen in the last 2 years, an offense that is competent.

Program needs a jolt right now is all I am saying. Media and others teeing off on us and we need that to change and shut them up.

I do like Franklin and want him to succeed badly, I think he can be the right guy. I am just less confident than i was two years ago when he was hired.

Reactions: ram2020
BTW, there was a update i posted on the 22nd. Not sure why the Pitt fan went back to this one to talk about Watts. Not that it matters, just saying the OP in here is not up to date.

Also, Hudson may stem the flow of bad news this week sometime and I think we made a solid impression with Hamlin too. Barbir may flip. And we have 2 WRs and a DT visiting next week. We'll see about Ferns. We're not out of it for Hill either, I am very skeptical that he actually visits Clemson.

If you actually care what 93.7 or the Pitt or Rutgers board say about the program, there is no hope for you

The logic of many of the posters escapes me. In many cases you are worse than the trolls.
You complain about the wins and losses, knock the job Franklin is doing then complain about recruiting this or that recruit.
JVP "Not everyone is a PennState fit."
Sherrill when the sanctions were announced "Shut the program down. With 45 scholarships they won't win a game."

Lastly recruits read these message boards. If the loyal alums think the coach is short time why should I go there.

We can help or hinder the negative recruiting by the measure and tenor of our comments.
We are unbelievablely better than most people expected to be. That is because we are Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT