ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 1/15/16

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: Ok, it’s my fault. I posted too positive of an update last time and now we are paying for it. I’ll start with the bad news. Sanders is visiting MSU on the 29th after visiting PSU with the rest of the class on the 22nd. Now, Manny Bowen had the same plan last year and ended up canceling the MSU trip so hopefully that happens again. As you know Dioubate decomitted, or more accurately opened his recruitment back up. At first it looked like and Auburn led bag men type issue, but the more I am watching it, the more it feels like he was uncomfortable with his decision to move too far from home. Pitt, Temple, and PSU will all be visiting him and he will visit MSU on the 22nd. He has an all star game on the 29th so this should be his last visit unless PSU can get a mid week thing going. He’s been to Penn State a number of times so he knows what it’s about, I think in the end he’ll end up at Temple to remain close to his family, but we’re not completely out of it. Dwumfour is visiting Michigan this weekend and we really can’t afford to lose him at this point. Certainly there is probably some Gary influence here as the two were childhood friends. We just have to hope he has a better time at Penn State next weekend. I’m not even going to talk about Jimmy’s sleepover non-sense, but Nordin is in Michigan this week too.

Schedules for our top guys are as follows: This weekend Ferns is in WVU, Nixon is in Georgia, Hansford is in UCLA, Hamlin and Fuller are in OSU, and Hudson is in Michigan. The 22nd most of our class will be in Happy Valley along with Hudson and Hamlin and Fuller will be in Michigan. The 29th Ferns will be our main target and in Happy Valley, I expect the staff to close the deal. Hamlin and Hudson will be in Pitt. Fuller has no plans the weekend of the 29th and 2 OVs left out of his allotted 5, Nixon has no plans after this week and has 4 OVs left, Hansford has 1 OV left to take and no plans after this week, and lastly, why not mention it (maybe hell will freeze over), Gary has no plans after this week and has 1 OV left if he wants it.

My analysis of their schedule is that we need to make a big impression on Hudson and Hamlin, although they’ve both been to Pitt so often that I’m not worried about getting last crack at them. Losing Shoop did NOT help with them. Having Ferns on the last weekend should be good and he’s getting a lot of Crystal Balls to PSU. I always thought Nixon would take an OV to Penn State, I wish it were already planned but I think he will. Gattis and JoeMo were down to see him yesterday in Florida. I have no clue if we’ll actually get Hansford on campus but Hansford had mentioned to another site that he had been to PSU 4 or 5 times already and really liked the campus and felt he didn’t need to OV there because he knows what it’s like. We’ll see what that means. Fuller was going to come on the 29th but now it might be a mid-week visit before that weekend. To me he seems destined to go to OSU.

Amir Watts was offered who is a DT out of Chicago. Rhane visited him yesterday. Currently his schedule is full. Only way I could see us getting him would be if he cancelled an OV somewhere else and visited PSU. On the positive flip side, we are hosting Kyzir White, the WVU JUCO S commit, on the 22nd and Nate Johnson, Michigan WR commit, on the 29th. I think White seems like a kind of likely flip at this point and I think it shows that it is unlikely that Golden will start next year.

Scholarship wise we are basically wide open. Currently we could take 23 if no one else left (counting Kiley as staying yet bc I have seen nothing official saying he won’t be back and Walker seems likely to keep his scholarship), but I expect a few more departures before signing day.

I would really like us to fill the last coaching vacancy at LB or S with a name that will generate a lot of recruiting buzz. Mike Zordich would be a huge steal from Michigan. I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of Lavar, but it would be huge with HS kids, which is something you need to think about.

Commit Watch:
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 3* S Hudson

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
3* DT Watts

Work Left To Do:
4/3* OLB Hansford, 4* DT Dioubate, 4* ATH Fuller

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* DT Gary, 4* OT Williams, 4* CB Hill

Former Interest:
JC DT Chavis, 3* OT Niang

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
3* DT Watts

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

Thanks for the great work, as always. You don't list Dwumfour in the break downs, do you consider him as work left to do, in the battle, or something else?

Update: Ok, it’s my fault. I posted too positive of an update last time and now we are paying for it. I’ll start with the bad news. Sanders is visiting MSU on the 29th after visiting PSU with the rest of the class on the 22nd. Now, Manny Bowen had the same plan last year and ended up canceling the MSU trip so hopefully that happens again. As you know Dioubate decomitted, or more accurately opened his recruitment back up. At first it looked like and Auburn led bag men type issue, but the more I am watching it, the more it feels like he was uncomfortable with his decision to move too far from home. Pitt, Temple, and PSU will all be visiting him and he will visit MSU on the 22nd. He has an all star game on the 29th so this should be his last visit unless PSU can get a mid week thing going. He’s been to Penn State a number of times so he knows what it’s about, I think in the end he’ll end up at Temple to remain close to his family, but we’re not completely out of it. Dwumfour is visiting Michigan this weekend and we really can’t afford to lose him at this point. Certainly there is probably some Gary influence here as the two were childhood friends. We just have to hope he has a better time at Penn State next weekend. I’m not even going to talk about Jimmy’s sleepover non-sense, but Nordin is in Michigan this week too.

Schedules for our top guys are as follows: This weekend Ferns is in WVU, Nixon is in Georgia, Hansford is in UCLA, Hamlin and Fuller are in OSU, and Hudson is in Michigan. The 22nd most of our class will be in Happy Valley along with Hudson and Hamlin and Fuller will be in Michigan. The 29th Ferns will be our main target and in Happy Valley, I expect the staff to close the deal. Hamlin and Hudson will be in Pitt. Fuller has no plans the weekend of the 29th and 2 OVs left out of his allotted 5, Nixon has no plans after this week and has 4 OVs left, Hansford has 1 OV left to take and no plans after this week, and lastly, why not mention it (maybe hell will freeze over), Gary has no plans after this week and has 1 OV left if he wants it.

My analysis of their schedule is that we need to make a big impression on Hudson and Hamlin, although they’ve both been to Pitt so often that I’m not worried about getting last crack at them. Losing Shoop did NOT help with them. Having Ferns on the last weekend should be good and he’s getting a lot of Crystal Balls to PSU. I always thought Nixon would take an OV to Penn State, I wish it were already planned but I think he will. Gattis and JoeMo were down to see him yesterday in Florida. I have no clue if we’ll actually get Hansford on campus but Hansford had mentioned to another site that he had been to PSU 4 or 5 times already and really liked the campus and felt he didn’t need to OV there because he knows what it’s like. We’ll see what that means. Fuller was going to come on the 29th but now it might be a mid-week visit before that weekend. To me he seems destined to go to OSU.

Amir Watts was offered who is a DT out of Chicago. Rhane visited him yesterday. Currently his schedule is full. Only way I could see us getting him would be if he cancelled an OV somewhere else and visited PSU. On the positive flip side, we are hosting Kyzir White, the WVU JUCO S commit, on the 22nd and Nate Johnson, Michigan WR commit, on the 29th. I think White seems like a kind of likely flip at this point and I think it shows that it is unlikely that Golden will start next year.

Scholarship wise we are basically wide open. Currently we could take 23 if no one else left (counting Kiley as staying yet bc I have seen nothing official saying he won’t be back and Walker seems likely to keep his scholarship), but I expect a few more departures before signing day.

I would really like us to fill the last coaching vacancy at LB or S with a name that will generate a lot of recruiting buzz. Mike Zordich would be a huge steal from Michigan. I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of Lavar, but it would be huge with HS kids, which is something you need to think about.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
3* DT Watts

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).

I feel good about Ferns. Don't feel good about the others including Dwumfour. I think Nordin bounces, and if Sanders visits MSU I think our chances of keeping him are about 60/40 (for the good guys). If he doesn't visit (which I would put at about 65% chance he doesn't), we're good. Class will be noted for grabbing some big, glaring needs (OL), but losing talent at our other position of need (DT).

Further update on Karamo, He was trying to decide whether to OV to Temple or OSU this weekend, looks like neither. We were there this week and had apparently a great conversation with him. He will mid week to South Carolina the week after the 22nd before his all star game.

I feel good about Ferns. Don't feel good about the others including Dwumfour. I think Nordin bounces, and if Sanders visits MSU I think our chances of keeping him are about 60/40 (for the good guys). If he doesn't visit (which I would put at about 65% chance he doesn't), we're good. Class will be noted for grabbing some big, glaring needs (OL), but losing talent at our other position of need (DT).
Sanders mom is reportedly still solidly behind Penn State. Dantonio is apparently negatively recruiting hard.

Anything on Sean Foster, the OT, who decommitted from Minnehaha when Limegrover et al were let go?

Part of that is because he doesn't have a Michigan offer yet, right? Think he gets one during his visit? If so, how do you perceive that?
He apparently does have an offer from them, but who knows how many they can take. Over 25 but how far over? Michigan fans will tell you its 32, but that's laughable. We just need to beat them.

Anything on Sean Foster, the OT, who decommitted from Minnehaha when Limegrover et al were let go?
No PSU offer, looks like he is staying in the Mid west/south, visiting Iowa State this weekend. Talking to Arkansas.

EDIT: another fansite says he has one from PSU but other recruiting sites don't back that up.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
3* DT Watts

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

Thanks. These updates are always informative and always welcome.

No PSU offer, looks like he is staying in the Mid west/south, visiting Iowa State this weekend. Talking to Arkansas.

EDIT: another fansite says he has one from PSU but other recruiting sites don't back that up.

Gracias.

I don't have any personal evaluation, but it looks like his best offers (from Rivals database) have been second tier Big Ten programs (Minny, MD, Illinois, Purdue), and shows no interest or offer in Penn State. He does seem to have the body type that CJF likes (6' 8" and 285lbs) as a tackle prospect out of high school.

I don't have any personal evaluation, but it looks like his best offers (from Rivals database) have been second tier Big Ten programs (Minny, MD, Illinois, Purdue), and shows no interest or offer in Penn State. He does seem to have the body type that CJF likes (6' 8" and 285lbs) as a tackle prospect out of high school.

He also has offers from Iowa, Cal, BC, Duke, NC State and a few others (20 total). Something must be up though because the experts have him going to Iowa State.

"Have To Get ReallyLucky:
5* DT Gary, 4* OT Williams, 4* CBHill"

Does PSU really think there is any chance Gary?

"Have To Get ReallyLucky:
5* DT Gary, 4* OT Williams, 4* CBHill"

Does PSU really think there is any chance Gary?
No, but I generally don't remove prospect until they commit. RE: "maybe hell will freeze over"

Speculation on Twitter is that Lavert has cancelled his USC visit this weekend and is OVing to PSU. Again just speculation from non premium twitter accounts. Would be massive if true.

Best news on the recruiting front in awhile

Reactions: bmw199
He apparently does have an offer from them, but who knows how many they can take. Over 25 but how far over? Michigan fans will tell you its 32, but that's laughable. We just need to beat them.
He does have an offer. I haven't seen a single UM fan on this board state we can take 32. It will be around 28.

Desperately waiting for this. Thank you very much. CJF and staff have to be going nuts and getting little sleep. Guess the same is true at many other schools. Sleep when you die, guys! :D

Good news for sure, but which coaches will be around to host him? Aren't they all out recruiting?
I think they're all back tonight since most recruits are visiting somewhere this weekend. BTW he is the only OV this week so should have full court press whole staff after him. He was committed here for almost a whole year after all. His best friend recently committed to MSU and I never thought he really liked them and it was a greater threat to us if Corley verballed to Michigan.

Last edited:

Obviously I trust CJF to bring in the OL recruits needed and upgrade talent, but it seems like we have plenty of tall, long OL/OT kids. I'd like to see CJF go out and get a big roadgrader for the interior line between now and signing day. Flip the UM commit Onwenu, or go after the big PA kid Valintin......

A Hill re-commit could really swing some momentum. I can't figure this kid out at all. It's entirely possible that he really just likes State College more than the other places, and it's said that he's from a bad bad area and it might be best for him to get far away from the influences in Michigan.

Reactions: m48tank
I think they're all back tonight since most recruits are visiting somewhere this weekend. BTW he is the only OV this week so should have full court press whole staff after him. He was committed here for almost a whole year after all. His best friend recently committed to MSU and I never thought he really liked them and it was a greater threat to us if Corely verballed to Michigan.

Thought the full court press was going to be on Sanders on Saturday? Could be just the offensive staff I guess.

With not being out of it with Dioubate and getting Hill back on campus, we may see exactly how good of a recruiter James and his gang are. ABC

I'm holding out hope that Franklin visited someone we haven't heard about before in GA yesterday that will pop up on the radar soon too

Thought the full court press was going to be on Sanders on Saturday? Could be just the offensive staff I guess.
I think the head coach can only have one in home visit per recruit. Franklin was already there. Asst coaches can have more.

I think the head coach can only have one in home visit per recruit. Franklin was already there. Asst coaches can have more.
I think it was supposed to be a JoeMo led visit anyway. Kind of how they introduced him to Nixon yesterday.

18 commits now. 3 more (net of flips) would be 21. I'm guessing we'll finish near that number.

Speculation on Twitter is that Lavert has cancelled his USC visit this weekend and is OVing to PSU. Again just speculation from non premium twitter accounts. Would be massive if true.
Just saw a report on the other site that he is visiting this weekend. Might get him yet.

Just saw a report on the other site that he is visiting this weekend. Might get him yet.

We could use some good news. Hill and Ferns would be great. Hoping for Nixon and Hamlin too. Flipping White would make up for not getting Hamlin in the short-term.

Reactions: bmw199
3 PGH boys:
Hudson - Commits to PSU
Sanders - Realizes PSU is really his choice next weekend (22nd) and cancels MSU visit the following
Hamlin - So hard to tell, I think were at like a 35% chance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT