ADVERTISEMENT

What's With the Confederate flag being displayed at the tailgate today?

Originally posted by Alphalion75:
Nfm
Which "the tailgate" are you referring to? I'm guessing there's a couple thousand flags of all different kind flying on any given football Saturday.

Probably someone's that resides near either the MD or West Virginia border. Greene, Fayette or other similar moronic counties.

Regrettably, that flag has been there for some time now.

And I have learned that they don't seem to notice dirty looks or rolled eyeballs.

Read a history book. A massive part of the civil war was slavery. Can't believe you're asking that question

Oh that's right the the north invaded the south to stop slavery because they thought it was wrong.
Sorry my fault.

Maybe the guy is just acknowledging his southern heritage. Maybe he is a redneck. Maybe he
Is a rascist.

Who are you to cast the first stone?

Latty you have no clue read a book. Here I will help you.

The south left for many reasons. One being property as they called it.

The north fought to keep the union together. Then like any war things evolved as they do:
"
I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Lincoln did the right thing by keeping the union together at all costs.

Then he did another right thing by finally abolishing slavery.

He is the greatest republican and one of the greatest presidents ever because of it.

If the democrats had there way then We would be several countries and slavery would have
Continued.

Reactions: Ski
I find it offensive insomuch as it represents rebellion against the union. Now that's a hard pill for me to swallow in light of recent federal government overreach. But to your point, I cannot imagine the emotions it invokes in African Americans. Especially seeing that flag raised in a bucolic setting like State College, PA.

I've a suggestion. The next time you see it why not try to engage them diplomatically in an attempt to bring them around to your way of thinking, rather than broadcasting your distaste anonymously here. I mean, since you feel so strongly about it.

Give it a whirl.

The racism debate aside, I always shake my head when I see some northern redneck wannabe flying the confederate flag. Southerners claim it's part of their heritage, blah, blah, etc. You can agree with that or not but what's the northern redneck wannabe's excuse? Why not fly the union jack? It would make as much sense.

Originally posted by NittPicker:
The racism debate aside, I always shake my head when I see some northern redneck wannabe flying the confederate flag. Southerners claim it's part of their heritage, blah, blah, etc. You can agree with that or not but what's the northern redneck wannabe's excuse? Why not fly the union jack? It would make as much sense.
I don't want to get into the center of this debate, but I do know a guy that relocated to Pennsylvania from Virginia due to an employment opportunity and he often flies the Confederate flag as a symbol of pride in his heritage. He had relatives that fought in the Civil War.

A guy in my town flies one on his 70s pickup with lift kit and oversized tires. He has an IQ of golf par.
eek.r191677.gif

Re: Lots of Confederate flags flown in the more rural parts of Pennsy

Originally posted by Southeastern PA Buck:
A Sunday drive through many of our fine counties will provide the casual observer a glimpse at the confederate flag.
Yup out in the countryside you'll see them. Not everyday, but some hicks seem to take pride in racism.

Most people who fought in the war did not own slaves
And we're not there to defend it ir get rid of it from the north

Nobody says that slavery was right. Don't change history
To satisfy your point of view as to the rewriting of history

If you saw the flag then have the courage if it does offend
You to say something. Just make sure you don't bash their
First amendment right to fly it

Before I sold my other house by Bedford, the guy next door was a post office nut who had Nazi flags in his front window, and all around the house.

Originally posted by lattydaddy:
Yes. He had family that fought in the war to defend slavery.
Having spoken with this gentlemen on a few occasions about his family history, I can tell you his family had no slaves, and did not support the institution. His family did feel strongly about states rights. I will leave it at that. My point was only that just because a Confederate flag is flown in the North, it does not mean the person doing so is a Northern redneck.

History is written by the winners.. You would do well to "educate yourself".

And I can't believe you are simplistic enough

to equate flying the Confederate flag with racism. Slavery was not "a massive part of the civil war."

To the branch campus rejects claim slavery was not a big part of the civil war...Plz google "what caused the civil war"

Re: And I can't believe you are simplistic enough

Originally posted by lobo lion:
to equate flying the Confederate flag with racism. Slavery was not "a massive part of the civil war."
Its pretty rednecky though.

When I was growing up, I was never around anyone that was black or Jewish or gay. My perceptions were formed by others with their stereotype opinions. When I went to Penn State, there was a little exposure to those groups, so perceptions changed a little. Then I went to work in the major East Coast cities and you know what, I got to know people as individuals and not stereotypes and my perceptions changed dramatically. I also had perceptions about the South until I had the opportunity to travel there and get to know people. Now, when I travel back to Pittsburgh, I stop in a red neck biker bar and guess what, those individuals are very different from the stereotypes.

Now what I do know is that all the stereotypes about Gen X and Gen Y have to be true and I really do not have to make any effort to get to know any of those folks.

I love it when I see that Penn State education put to good use.

Originally posted by lobo lion:
Linked are the South Carolina Articles of Secession. Below is a section of it. You will find the "states' rights" argument, but that argument is very clearly directed toward the issue of slavery in the Southern states. To argue slavery was "not 'a massive part of the civil war'" is to is ignore the very documents rendered by the states as they left the Union. The "property" so discussed is chattel slave property, not any other form.

These ends it endeavored to accomplish by a Federal Government, in which each State was recognized as an equal, and had separate control over its own institutions. The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.
We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.
For twenty-five years this agitation has been steadily increasing, until it has now secured to its aid the power of the common Government. Observing the forms of the Article establishing the Executive Department, the means of subverting the Constitution itself. A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.
This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.
On the 4th day of March next, this party will take possession of the Government. It has announced that the South shall be excluded from the common territory, that the judicial tribunals shall be made sectional, and that a war must be waged against slavery until it shall cease throughout the United States.
The guaranties of the Constitution will then no longer exist; the equal rights of the States will be lost. The slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy.
Sectional interest and animosity will deepen the irritation, and all hope of remedy is rendered vain, by the fact that public opinion at the North has invested a great political error with the sanction of more erroneous religious belief.

South Carolina Articles of Secession

Pretty dumb, especially when the stadium, a major road through town, and a dorm are all named after a Civil War veteran from the Union side, who was also a post-Civil-war Republican politician.

Originally posted by razpsu:
Oh that's right the the north invaded the south to stop slavery because they thought it was wrong.
Sorry my fault.

Maybe the guy is just acknowledging his southern heritage. Maybe he is a redneck. Maybe he
Is a rascist.

Yes, who can forget that fateful day of April 12, 1861 when the North attacked Fort Sumter.

Here is the Georgia Secession declaration. I won't copy and highlight, but this one may be even more forward with the slavery connection than South Carolina's- they get into it before the end of the first line. The words "right" and "rights" are only found seven times in the document, compared to thirty-five for "slave" and "slavery."

Georgia Secession document

Originally posted by CDW3333:

Originally posted by razpsu:
Sorry my fault.

Is a rascist.

Yes, who can forget that fateful day of April 12, 1861 when the North attacked Fort Sumter.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
yeah, how dare they.

But seriously, the impetus for the South firing upon the fort was the fact the North sent a supply ship with food and troops to THEIR OWN facility.

Re: So successionism? Is that OK?

I wish Penn State football would have more of a zeal for successionism, we might win more games. It's better than mediocritism.

Thanks, wonder how many times you have actually spent any time in either

Fayette or Greene County. My guess is very little!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT