ADVERTISEMENT

What are your top war movies.Choose a movie for....

Not a movie, but a mini-series.....Band of Brothers for WWII.

No particular order:

Das Boot (original German!!!)
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
American Sniper
Letters From Iwo Jima (outstanding!!! - again, original Japanese)
Flags of Our Fathers - didn't care for it at first, especially after Iwo Jima, but its been growing on me
We Were Soldiers

There are other good ones, but those are the immediate that jump to mind. Loved Band of Brothers, The Pacific not so much, although my expectations may have been too high. Notice how "the forgotten war" is missing. Any good Korean War movies?

Reactions: simons96
No particular order:

Das Boot (original German!!!)
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
American Sniper
Letters From Iwo Jima (outstanding!!! - again, original Japanese)
Flags of Our Fathers - didn't care for it at first, especially after Iwo Jima, but its been growing on me
We Were Soldiers

There are other good ones, but those are the immediate that jump to mind. Loved Band of Brothers, The Pacific not so much, although my expectations may have been too high. Notice how "the forgotten war" is missing. Any good Korean War movies?

You nailed it. Loved BoB, but only liked The Pacific. Got real slow towards the end.

My favorites.....
French & Indian War..................Last Of The Mohicans (1992) & Northwest Passage
Revolutionary War.....................The Patriot & Drums Along The Mohawk
Civil War......................................Gettysburg & The Horse Soldiers
World War I.................................The Blue Max & Sergeant York
World War II.................................Patton & The Longest Day
Korean War..................................Pork Chop Hill & The Bridges At Toko-Ri
Vietnam War.................................Platoon & Full Metal Jacket

Last edited:
There are probably more good movies about the Vietnam conflict than any other war this country has fought in. Here is my list. Revolutionary war - The Patriot. For the War of 1812 - The Buccaneer(1958 version). The Civil war - Gone with the wind.

The Mexican - American war really does not have a good movie in my estimation so I will go with the "Alamo" even though that battle is a prelude to the war. The Spanish American war -Rough riders. WWI - Lawrence of Arabia. WWII - Private Ryan. Korea - M*A*S*H Vietnam - The deer hunter. For conflicts in the last quarter century I think "Blackhawk down" was pretty good. I guess "American Sniper" would cover Iraq and Afghan wars. Anybody got one for Desert Storm?

My favorites.....
French & Indian War..................Last Of The Mohicans & Northwest Passage
Korean War..................................Pork Chop Hill & The Bridges At Toko-Ri

Last of the Mohicans, the one with, dare I say it, "Randolph Scott" :)

Reactions: fairgambit
QUOTE="mhentz, post: 177279, member: 4582"]Best ever Viet Nam war movie has to be Nam Angels. Hands down.[/Q[UOTE]
Please...Hell's Angels save the day in Na?. This is not even a B movie. Save your money and time.

Yes, ZULU is far better.
Yes, Zulu is very fine. Michael Caine, Stanley Baker.

I know this is a hokey choice and not a particularly good movie, but I loved 633 Squadron when I was a kid. I remember watching it on TV and then going to school the next day and it was all my friends and I talked about all day. LOL, I recall everyone saying that when we grew up, we'd join the Air Force, every last one of us deaf.

My favorites.....
French & Indian War..................Last Of The Mohicans (1992) & Northwest Passage

Nice list. There are a number of other worthy WWII movies, such as Run Silent Run Deep, Battleground, Battle of the Bulge, and one of my favorites, Midway.

I watched one this morning that I had not seen before. About a Marines squad that was assigned to go into a Jap held island and find a man that owned a plantation there to verify information previously radio'd about a min field (in ocean) that was vital to the imminent USS landing. Can't remember the name.

Another is the movie staring Robert Wagner that also had Buddy Ebsen. They ended up on a hill, defending it against lots of Japs during a night time assault. A wacko Major was in command that ended up getting relieved. I've seen it multiple times but can't remember the name. Just looked it up on Wiki... Between Heaven and Hell.

Sergeant York is one of my all time favorites.

Nice list. There are a number of other worthy WWII movies, such as Run Silent Run Deep, Battleground, Battle of the Bulge, and one of my favorites, Midway.
I watched one this morning that I had not seen before. About a Marines squad that was assigned to go into a Jap held island and find a man that owned a plantation there to verify information previously radio'd about a min field (in ocean) that was vital to the imminent USS landing. Can't remember the name.
Another is the movie staring Robert Wagner that also had Buddy Ebsen. They ended up on a hill, defending it against lots of Japs during a night time assault. A wacko Major was in command that ended up getting relieved. I've seen it multiple times but can't remember the name. Just looked it up on Wiki... Between Heaven and Hell.
Sergeant York is one of my all time favorites.
I forgot Run Silent Run Deep which is also one of my favorites.....Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. And the others you mentioned...all great films.

My three favorite war movies in historical order are:
1 She wore a yellow ribbon (I know I may be stretching it but it was an Indian war.)
2 The Longest Day (which occurred exactly 11 years to the day before I was born)
3 A Bridge Too Far (Imo, the best war movie ever made)

I could probably list several dozen WWII movies that if I see them on I will try to watch\record them {Stalag 17 loved Holdens last line "If I ever run into any of you bums on a street corner, just let's pretend we've never met before.", The Battle of the bulge, The Enemy Below, In Harms Way, ect.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Battle of Britain
They Were Expendable
From Here to Eternity

Greatest Cold War Movie: The Hunt for Red October. (Probably America's most successful war ever).

Second best Cold War Movie: Video I shot of being overflown by a Russian Bear Bomber south of Iceland during Ocean Safari '85.

The Pacific was a good series. In many ways, it just seemed like another war series until the last episode when PFC Sledge has a hard time readjusting and all he had a hard time relating to his old life. The scene where he couldn't go hunting with his Dad was very powerful.

And on a lighter note, greatest spoof war movie: 1941. Hollywoo!

There are probably more good movies about the Vietnam conflict than any other war this country has fought in. Here is my list. Revolutionary war - The Patriot. For the War of 1812 - The Buccaneer(1958 version). The Civil war - Gone with the wind.

The Mexican - American war really does not have a good movie in my estimation so I will go with the "Alamo" even though that battle is a prelude to the war. The Spanish American war -Rough riders. WWI - Lawrence of Arabia. WWII - Private Ryan. Korea - M*A*S*H Vietnam - The deer hunter. For conflicts in the last quarter century I think "Blackhawk down" was pretty good. I guess "American Sniper" would cover Iraq and Afghan wars. Anybody got one for Desert Storm?
Not for nothing but maybe you should look at WWII movies. Men at war, Battleground,Battle cry,Steel helmet, A walk in the sun, Sands of Iwo Jima and many , many other gret movies..

My favorite war movies and why
Mister Roberts - Tells of the war against boredom and how good leadership overcame a bad leader
Twelve O'Clock high - How leadership changed a unit
Battleground - Shows the intervals between combat and how soldiers cope
Hamburger Hill - Tells a true story and gets the language of Vietnam right "Un-ass my AO"
Saving Private Ryan - The opening scene of Omaha Beach has everything, the sights, he sounds (bullets overhead and hitting flesh), the shaking and the fear. Only thing missing is the smell.
Tora, Tora, Tora, - Gets the facts right with a few exceptions.
The Gallant Hours - Without any combat scenes shows how battles are won and lost
Attack - Shows what real courage is all about

A few of my favorites:
1) Red Dawn
2) Kelly's Heroes
3) The Dirty Dozen
4) The Longest Day
5) Dances with Wolves
6) The Patriot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT