ADVERTISEMENT

What are your top war movies.Choose a movie for....

Wow... so many will try a few that others haven't mentioned yet... for Revolutionary still like the Patriot... for Civil War I really enjoyed "Glory" thought it gave a different angle. For WWII I loved Midway/Patton/Saving Private Ryan. Vietnam I really liked Hamburger Hill and Platoon (in addition to others listed here). Also big fan of Black Hawk Down/American Sniper/Lone Survivor... Band of Brothers was off the charts but obviously had a much larger time frame to cover battles.

A couple I didn't see mentioned:

Run Silent Run Deep
Where Eagles Dare
The Guns of Navarone
Von Ryan's Express
PT 109

A great WW2 Comedy movie is Father Goose, with Cary Grant. Here, he plays a drunk guy that navy strands on an island to ID incoming Japanese planes. Comedy ensues when a bunch of girl scouts, led by Leslie Caron.

Not for nothing but maybe you should look at WWII movies. Men at war, Battleground,Battle cry,Steel helmet, A walk in the sun, Sands of Iwo Jima and many , many other gret movies..
Yeah WWII has some great ones but I stand by statement about Vietnam. The Deer Hunter, Hamburger Hill, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Born on the fourth of July, We were Soldiers.

The winners are Fair Gambit and GreginPitt for Sergeant York.

All Quiet on the Western Front was another good one, but I did not see it mentioned.

Recently I saw Railway Man. It had a great effect on me. Did anyone else see it? What were your thoughts?

The McKenzie Break, Murphy's War, Gung Ho (Carlson's Raiders), Bataan, Back to Bataan (watch closely at the beginning, you can see John Wayne get yanked by a wire out of the foxhole by a "shell explosion"), Devils Brigade, To Hell and Back.

Objective Burma, Wake Island (said to be one of the very best WWII films..look closely when "Skipper the Dog" is going to have puppies..a mean feat because Skipper clearly has an enormous dong on her), Pride of the Marines, A Guy Named Joe.

Heartbreak Ridge...
Heartbreak Ridge, except for Eastwood's character, should have been listed as a comedy. I guarantee you there's not a Force Recon unit in the marine corps that is comprised of ANY of the misfits portrayed in that movie. The
Heartbreak Ridge...
Heartbreak Ridge, with the exception of Eastwood's character, is wrong in so many ways and a complete insult to all marine Force Recon members. I can guarantee you that the conduct and character portrayed by the marines in the Quonset hut scenes is strictly Hollywood and the firing range scene would never happen as shown in the movie with regular marines let alone Force Recon marines. Surprised Eastwood was even involved in such a sham let alone the film director. I expect more from Eastwood. Very poorly done IMO.

If you watch closely in Bataan (Robert Taylor, Lloyd Nolan, Robert Walker (hammy death scene by sniper) and other big names), when Epps the African American gets a samurai sword in the neck, it's obviously animated, cut camera, and hammy. Still a good movie though.

Forgot one in "Back to Bataan". After Maximo the Filipino is mercilessly beaten by the "Japanese" (most of whom were Chinese or Filipino actors) he leads them where the partisans are. He grabs the keys from the truck, and you can tell all the soldiers going off the cliff a dummies. Unrelated but similar scene in "Gunga Din" when the bridge rope is cut the Indians falling into the gorge are clearly all dummies.

A fun thread would be about gaffs in Westerns and related shows. You can clearly see dummies falling, stop motion/cut camera, animation, jets flying by overhead (embarrassment in Joe Kidd) and cars driving by in the background where Pancho and the Cisco Kid are kicking some azz, and they're not chewing gum.

Not Deer Hunter for Nam. Not Full Metal Jacket. Siege of Firebase Gloria, Green Berets, Hamburger Hill, We Were Soldiers Once (Battle of Ia Drang probably the most accurate).

I like your list Colorado man. I'd add "The Naked and the Dead" with Aldo Ray. Patton, We were soldiers (recently saw an interview with the author who was i the movie. He became emotional when reviewing the place where the Colonel asked him to tell the story of the soldiers.....A young man from Lincoln University, Oxford HS grad was kia in this battle. He was in creek bed were the Colonel told them to fire three rounds at anteing specious and they did and all heck broke out. He was do to cycle out by mid Nov. Told his mother he would be home in that time frame and she turned on the porch light to help him when he arrived. They were sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner when the telegraph was delivered, the worst Thanksgiving that family ever had. Such a sad story, so many young lives, such a waste. Sorry for the off topic rant but each time I see that movie I get emotional too. Those men were cursed, called baby killers and spit on in the airports upon returning home.

Firebase Gloria, the 1st time I saw Gunny in a film.

You Natzy Spy

Y31ev.jpg

I liked Zulu Dawn, but I heard Zulu was better.

Was going to mention Zulu. A stunningly good movie on many levels, with warriors on both sides who respected each other, in a varity of ways.

Not for nothing but maybe you should look at WWII movies. Men at war, Battleground,Battle cry,Steel helmet, A walk in the sun, Sands of Iwo Jima and many , many other gret movies..

Minor correction: The Steel Helmet was about Korea. For WWI I'll mention The Lost Battalion and Hells Angels.

Heartbreak Ridge, except for Eastwood's character, should have been listed as a comedy. I guarantee you there's not a Force Recon unit in the marine corps that is comprised of ANY of the misfits portrayed in that movie. The

Heartbreak Ridge, with the exception of Eastwood's character, is wrong in so many ways and a complete insult to all marine Force Recon members. I can guarantee you that the conduct and character portrayed by the marines in the Quonset hut scenes is strictly Hollywood and the firing range scene would never happen as shown in the movie with regular marines let alone Force Recon marines. Surprised Eastwood was even involved in such a sham let alone the film director. I expect more from Eastwood. Very poorly done IMO.
I agree. A very bad movie. Could have been great without the slackers they were portraying as marines.

Crimson Tide; Apocalypse Now; Deer Hunter; Saving Private Ryan; Longest Day; Guns of Navarone; Dirty Dozen; Tora Tora Tora; Letters from Iwo Jima

Crimson Tide; Apocalypse Now; Deer Hunter; Saving Private Ryan; Longest Day; Guns of Navarone; Dirty Dozen; Tora Tora Tora; Letters from Iwo Jima

Until I recently re-watched "The Longest Day" I didn't realize how slow the first hour or so is. I tried showing it to my kids in History class and they were falling asleep and I didn't blame them. Every time they introduce a new character he gives a speech, a long speech.

A couple I didn't see mentioned:

Run Silent Run Deep
Where Eagles Dare
The Guns of Navarone
Von Ryan's Express
PT 109

A great WW2 Comedy movie is Father Goose, with Cary Grant. Here, he plays a drunk guy that navy strands on an island to ID incoming Japanese planes. Comedy ensues when a bunch of girl scouts, led by Leslie Caron.
Yeah, Where Eagles Dare is a personal favorite...the others are good as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT