ADVERTISEMENT

What are we to make of our receiver situation?

creamery

Jul 28, 2009
A. We’re good with those who’ve stayed. Coaching staff sees something we don’t.
B. We’ll be ok without those who left.
C. We’ll get a game breaker in the portal. Coach Franklin will find a Diamond in the rough.
D. There’s a freshman sensation who will break out
E. ????

Reactions: psu1969a
I would not want to see what the PSU Karen's see.
If I every do, I will ❤️‍🔥 out my 👀

C. We’ll get a game breaker in the portal. Coach Franklin will find a Diamond in the rough.
E. ????

We had to see cuts made. The room was bloated. KLS was a known entity and a true loss. The others, not so much.

I'd rather see the true freshman get 4th string snaps than the players who have left.

We had to see cuts made. The room was bloated. KLS was a known entity and a true loss. The others, not so much.

I'd rather see the true freshman get 4th string snaps than the players who have left.
McClain couldn't catch a curl pattern with the pass hitting his hands repeatedly = no loss. KLS was a loss. Next man up!

I think we have to hope that better scheme and execution gets it done. Flemming was a good add in terms of a reliable target that's willing to do the dirty work. He may not be a big upgrade from KLS in terms of athletic ability and deep threat, but this trade may be a net positive. It is likely to be a big positive on the impact it has on the rest of the room IMO.

And I think that the passing game could take more advantage of the strong TE and RB rooms. I would guess that the new OC is much better at using these strengths than the previous OC.

Would I like a top 100 WR or 2 to add to our WR room? Absolutely, but for some reason they all think that they will get balls thrown their way at Ohio St until they've wasted 2 to 3 years and realize that they've been recruited over.

Besides Lambert Smith, were any of these recent departures anything but a body taking up a scholarship?

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Franklin said the WR talent was fine right after KLS hit the portal. Don't you all believe this. If not, I'm astounded.

😂

E. ????

Didn't Michigan beat us handily, while never throwing a pass in the 2nd half?

Kotelnicki got the 9th best offense in the country last year with a back-up QB, a mediocre sack and turnover rate, and a dearth of talent compared to Penn State.

As long as Wallace can learn how to catch the football, I'm not remotely worried. Yurcich was an idiot who didn't run the football outside or throw the ball over the middle (our passing game was incredibly constricted). He didn't properly use Tyler Warren, probably our best overall pass-catching option, nor Theo Johnson. Just getting rid of Yurcich is addition by subtraction. Replacing him with someone as highly competent as Kotelnicki makes me quite optimistic. We have enough talent at RB and TE that if the guy is even 3/4ths as good as he looked at Kansas, the run game and middle of the field will be opened up enough that our receivers will look way better than last year.

I don't expect 2002 Bryant Johnson or 2019 Hamler production out of any of Wallace or Saunders or Fleming but they'll be good enough.

E. ????
E

Didn't Michigan beat us handily, while never throwing a pass in the 2nd half?
Yes they did, because
  1. We couldn't pass either.
  2. They outsmarted us by lining up with 7 OL. That netted 2 big plays.

Kotelnicki got the 9th best offense in the country last year with a back-up QB, a mediocre sack and turnover rate, and a dearth of talent compared to Penn State.

As long as Wallace can learn how to catch the football, I'm not remotely worried. Yurcich was an idiot who didn't run the football outside or throw the ball over the middle (our passing game was incredibly constricted). He didn't properly use Tyler Warren, probably our best overall pass-catching option, nor Theo Johnson. Just getting rid of Yurcich is addition by subtraction. Replacing him with someone as highly competent as Kotelnicki makes me quite optimistic. We have enough talent at RB and TE that if the guy is even 3/4ths as good as he looked at Kansas, the run game and middle of the field will be opened up enough that our receivers will look way better than last year.

I don't expect 2002 Bryant Johnson or 2019 Hamler production out of any of Wallace or Saunders or Fleming but they'll be good enough.
I'm optimistic for Kotelnicki as well. But I think some of his success was going against lesser D's. The stats below are opponents' team defense rankings:

Kansas: Was only held below 30 points against Texas (14 pts), Iowa St (28 pts), Texas Tech (13 pts), K St (27 pts)
Missouri St (NR)
Illinois 96th
Nevada 118th
BYU 99th
Texas 15th
UCF 62nd
Oklahoma St 91st
Oklahoma 49th
Iowa St 44th
Texas Tech 63rd
Kansas St 27th
Cincinatti 102nd
UNLV 92nd

Penn St: Was only held below 30 pts against Michigan (15 pts), Ohio St (20 pts), Rutgers (27 pts), and Ole Miss (25 pts, missing players)
W. VA 65th
Delaware (NR)
Illinois 96th
Iowa 4th
Northwestern 41st
UMass 133rd
Ohio St 2nd
Indiana 101st
Maryland 40th
Michigan 1st
Rutgers 34th
Mich St 87th
Ole Miss 42nd

So both teams were held below 30 points in 4 games. Kansas's 4 came against the #15, #27, #44, and #63 defenses. Penn St's came against the #1, #2, #34, and #42 (missing lots of players) defenses. PSU actually faced the top 3 defenses in the country (outside of their own #3 defense).

E. ????
I don't know, but what position did Franklin coach in the NFL? It mystifies me how a head coach with that background and with one of the best QB prospects in the country is unable to land a single stud receiver. B'Ob had several here when Franklin arrived, even though he was dealing with sanctions. Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: ram2020
Would I like a top 100 WR or 2 to add to our WR room? Absolutely, but for some reason they all think that they will get balls thrown their way at Ohio St until they've wasted 2 to 3 years and realize that they've been recruited over.

We have to give WRs a reason to come here, not hope for OSU's sloppy seconds or convince kids they're not good enough to play at OSU.

And that begins with three things: a QB that can reliably distribute the ball downfield, an offensive scheme that showcases the passing game, and a WR coach that can develop WRs.

Top-100 WRs go to OSU to learn from Brian Hartline. Even dudes that barely play and transfer got the benefit of playing for Hartline and using that development at their next stop. We need our WR coach to develop the talent we do have, show results, and then recruiting will pick up.

I call the new receiver room, addition by subtraction.

Guys either:
Weren't good enough
Didn't want to compete
Not wanted by new(er) coaches
Needed a new place to freshen up

No receiver on this roster performed in the clutch or in important games.
Let whatever is left on the roster compete and find an Ethan Kilmer along the way.

Reactions: bison13
We have to give WRs a reason to come here, not hope for OSU's sloppy seconds or convince kids they're not good enough to play at OSU.

And that begins with three things: a QB that can reliably distribute the ball downfield, an offensive scheme that showcases the passing game, and a WR coach that can develop WRs.

Top-100 WRs go to OSU to learn from Brian Hartline. Even dudes that barely play and transfer got the benefit of playing for Hartline and using that development at their next stop. We need our WR coach to develop the talent we do have, show results, and then recruiting will pick up.
Maybe we should make you the WR coach since you obviously have all the answers.

It's a message board where people have opinions -- even though 99% of us have never coached. If you don't like criticism of JF or the team, even if some if it might not come from "qualified" people, what are you doing on here? Sometimes being 'outsiders' who haven't necessarily coached or played can lead to better discussions.

Reactions: blair10

When I see comments like this on a message board, it usually tells me there's a lot of discontent with some aspect of the program (in our case, WRs and the offense in general) and fans direct their frustration at other fans for pointing out the obvious.

This is a thread about our thoughts on the WR situation. Is your response because you disagree with my answer?

Reactions: psu00 and scrivener
When I see comments like this on a message board, it usually tells me there's a lot of discontent with some aspect of the program (in our case, WRs and the offense in general) and fans direct their frustration at other fans for pointing out the obvious.

This is a thread about our thoughts on the WR situation. Is your response because you disagree with my answer?
He criticizes most on here who are critical of the program -- whether that be a player, position group, coaches, etc. I guess we should all be thrilled with everything, think everyone is doing a great job, etc. It's a message board with passionate fans and alumni. He needs to get over it.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
I call the new receiver room, addition by subtraction.

Guys either:
Weren't good enough
Didn't want to compete
Not wanted by new(er) coaches
Needed a new place to freshen up

No receiver on this roster performed in the clutch or in important games.
Let whatever is left on the roster compete and find an Ethan Kilmer along the way.
Ya, for the first reasons but an Ethan Kilmer along the way will only do it as long as he brings along $34 million in NIL money. 😂

Ya.. an Ethan Kilmer will do it as long as he brings along $34 million in NIL money. 😂
When I say Ethan Kilmer, I meant a walk-on find...Who will require no NIL at the time, just an opportunity.
However if that walk-on can produce a 55-800-6 stat line, sign him up for some NIL funds in year two.
There has to be a Chris Hogan out there in that large student body.

How did we get guys like Godwin, Robinson, Hamilton, & Hamler?

It's a message board where people have opinions -- even though 99% of us have never coached. If you don't like criticism of JF or the team, even if some if it might not come from "qualified" people, what are you doing on here? Sometimes being 'outsiders' who haven't necessarily coached or played can lead to better discussions.
Agree 1000%. I recall JF touting Meiga a few years back but the kid barely saw the field. And, he stated that "Irv Charles" was the best WR he had ever coached!!!

It's a message board and criticism is fair and should not be attacked.

Agree 1000%. I recall JF touting Meiga a few years back but the kid barely saw the field. And, he stated that "Irv Charles" was the best WR he had ever coached!!!

It's a message board and criticism is fair and should not be attacked.
Irv Charles was a 4* recruit with great size but was ultimately kicked off the team for a violation of team rules. He ultimately made it to the NFL so he must have had talent.

Reactions: wilbury
When I say Ethan Kilmer, I meant a walk-on find...Who will require no NIL at the time, just an opportunity.
However if that walk-on can produce a 55-800-6 stat line, sign him up for some NIL funds in year two.
There has to be a Chris Hogan out there in that large student body.

Is he playing football.

There's not much left in the portal but one guy that Franklin might want to go after is Jaden Rashida from ASU. A

This article is uncomplimentary about Franklin finding help for Allar. It makes me wonder if PSU's limited NIL money went to retain current players. Opponents like Oregon & OSU haven't been held back.

There's not much left in the portal but one guy that Franklin might want to go after is Jaden Rashida from ASU. A

This article is uncomplimentary about Franklin finding help for Allar. It makes me wonder if PSU's limited NIL money went to retain current players. Opponents like Oregon & OSU haven't been held back.

Sadly, the article is very true. I feel very bad for Allar who will have zero weapons at WR.

I don't know, but what position did Franklin coach in the NFL? It mystifies me how a head coach with that background and with one of the best QB prospects in the country is unable to land a single stud receiver. B'Ob had several here when Franklin arrived, even though he was dealing with sanctions. Something doesn't add up.
I think it has to do with what/is being featured in the PSU offense:
(1) Rbs
(2) TEs
(3) QB (run centric or safe passing)
(4) WRs @ bottom of pecking order. Why? Don't know.

Contrast with OSU who are WR & QB pass centric)

How did we get guys like Godwin, Robinson, Hamilton, & Hamler?
Allen Robinson was more than a decade ago, and thrived in a system that prioritized the passing game. Nobody on our staff had any connection to Allen Robinson.

You pointed to three very good WRs -- and I'd add another with Dotson. Godwin and Dotson being in that "elite" category. That's four (two top-tier WRs) over the course of ~8 years. Not bad, but hardly in the upper level of CFB. And most importantly for the purpose of this conversation, not particularly relevant to our recent struggles at the position. Despite his bigger flaws, Gattis could definitely recruit and develop WRs.

It's not a mystery that our style of offense and our WR development hasn't been attracting the big fish.

Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT