ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't the national (or everyone outside of Pittsburgh) see what we see with Tomlin?

djm_psu_alum

Nov 30, 2016
I realize I used "we" knowing full well that there are probably some Steeler fans still on Tomlin's side but it does feel like (finally) the local media and fans have turned the corner on him. I have wondered over the past 3-4 years why no one puts Tomlin to task for a series of issues under his watch. Does it really boil down to "he's never had a losing record"? I've heard some talking heads call those of us who want to move on from Tomlin as spoiled. I've seen Bradshaw get criticized daring to call out Tomlin. Another excuse rolled out is -- "you think Tomlin is so bad? what how fast he gets hired after he leaves the Steelers." I am sure that would happen as there are loads of retreads and unqualified guys who get the top job but I also think he wouldn't as many offers as the national media thinks because (purely conjecture on my part) I think other organizations see Tomlin's inadequacies. Has any coordinator under Tomlin been hired as a HC elsewhere? What's his coaching tree? It seems like it is fallen branches of offensive and defensive coordinators who are let go so Tomlin can save face.

I realize I used "we" knowing full well that there are probably some Steeler fans still on Tomlin's side but it does feel like (finally) the local media and fans have turned the corner on him. I have wondered over the past 3-4 years why no one puts Tomlin to task for a series of issues under his watch. Does it really boil down to "he's never had a losing record"? I've heard some talking heads call those of us who want to move on from Tomlin as spoiled. I've seen Bradshaw get criticized daring to call out Tomlin. Another excuse rolled out is -- "you think Tomlin is so bad? what how fast he gets hired after he leaves the Steelers." I am sure that would happen as there are loads of retreads and unqualified guys who get the top job but I also think he wouldn't as many offers as the national media thinks because (purely conjecture on my part) I think other organizations see Tomlin's inadequacies. Has any coordinator under Tomlin been hired as a HC elsewhere? What's his coaching tree? It seems like it is fallen branches of offensive and defensive coordinators who are let go so Tomlin can save face.
Are you looking for more than he's black?
He hasn't won a playoff game since 2016. No coach should survive that in pro sports.

Reactions: Ski and NoBareFeet
Remember who started the Rooney rule. Tomlin will be there regardless of his record.

Are you looking for more than he's black?
He hasn't won a playoff game since 2016. No coach should survive that in pro sports.
I would hope it isn't that but hard to think it isn't a factor (conscious or not) with some. I realize the weight of the Rooney Rule.

In thinking about a reasonable comparison, I realize Mike McCarthy's run with the Packers isn't exactly the same but he had 3 losing seasons in 13. Made the playoffs 9 out of 13 seasons (69%), won a Super Bowl, made 4 conference championships, 10-8 playoff record, and had a .618 win %. He was fired by a franchise that is on the same level as the Steelers when it comes to national respect.

Tomlin, by comparison, has had 0 losing seasons (3 8-8 seasons), made the playoffs 63% of the time, won a Super Bowl (one could argue that was with Cowher's guys, lost a Super Bowl, made 3 conference championships, 8-9 playoff record, and a .636 win %.

Perhaps, the worst thing that could have happened was winning that Super Bowl in his second season. It gave him a lifetime contract.

Reactions: LandoComando
What should his record be with this current group? They’ve got below average offensive talent, a pretty good defense, and are a game over .500. Seems to me to be pretty much in line with where they should be overall this year.

There are few if any organizations that would fire him today…don’t think the national media is missing anything. And bringing the color of his skin into it is pathetic.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
What should his record be with this current group? They’ve got below average offensive talent, a pretty good defense, and are a game over .500. Seems to me to be pretty much in line with where they should be overall this year.

There are few if any organizations that would fire him today…don’t think the national media is missing anything.
It's not about the record with the current team
It's about the inability to win the post season since 2016 and the fact he continually loses games he shouldn't be losing. There's zero excuse for losing to NE and Arizona at home back to back weeks.
No organization is going to ignore his lack of post season success other than the Steelers. Mediocrity isn't the goal.

There are few if any organizations that would fire him today…don’t think the national media is missing anything. And bringing the color of his skin into it is pathetic.
He is responsible for helping shape the offensive roster and the coaching staff. He is responsible for the lack of playoff success the last 6 years. He made the bad hires. He was at least partly to blame for the drafts.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

So you think he shows up the first day of training camp and gets introduced to his new players? He's heavily involved in the draft process (Kenny Pickett for one, was his pick). They're his players.

It's not about the record with the current team
It's about the inability to win the post season since 2016 and the fact he continually loses games he shouldn't be losing. There's zero excuse for losing to NE and Arizona at home back to back weeks.
No organization is going to ignore his lack of post season success other than the Steelers. Mediocrity isn't the goal.
100% - not about just this season. Look at the product on the field. Look at the immaturity on the sidelines. Look at the coordinators that are brought in and flushed out with all being fired or just not renewed. Has anyone on the sideline under Tomlin ever been hired for an elevated position at another franchise?

I don't think Steeler fans are demanding Super Bowls ever year. We don't want mediocrity and disfunction which is what this team for the past decade.

Cowher had losing seasons but the team had an identity. He had qualified and good coaches who moved up and out to other clubs.

Heck, the one area Tomlin is supposed to be a genius is on the defensive side. If they can't get to the QB, they are trouble. They haven't been able to cover a TE for 5+ years. That's not talent--thats his scheme he won't shift away from. This is the highest paid defense (I believe) and yet 19th or 20th in yards allowed through the pass, rush, and 3rd down defense. They are 7th in points allowed but with an offense as bad as this, they need to be 1st to give them a chance each week.

Reactions: Washingtonlion
So you think he shows up the first day of training camp and gets introduced to his new players? He's heavily involved in the draft process (Kenny Pickett for one, was his pick). They're his players.
Yeah this apologist take that he has average to below average players so he is fine and nothing to see here is pretty bad. Does he have any accountability for his team looking like a hot mess and losing to two 2-10 teams in succession at home? The longer term trend of blowing games to poor teams thus negatively impacting playoff position or not making the playoffs because of it?
His below average playoff record? His inability to develop a QB room? Poor discipline on the team and players with a lack of motivation? Does he get a free pass on all of this? He has a say in draft picks and player personnel decisions. That has not gone well. Is he the worst coach? No, but you can"t tell me the Stillers could not upgrade from him.

Yeah this apologist take that he has average to below average players so he is fine and nothing to see here is pretty bad. Does he have any accountability for his team looking like a hot mess and losing to two 2-10 teams in succession at home? The longer term trend of blowing games to poor teams thus negatively impacting playoff position or not making the playoffs because of it?
His below average playoff record? His inability to develop a QB room? Poor discipline on the team and players with a lack of motivation? Does he get a free pass on all of this? He has a say in draft picks and player personnel decisions. That has not gone well. Is he the worst coach? No, but you can"t tell me the Stillers could not upgrade from him.
Exactly. Perhaps, the easiest way to say this is that after 17 seasons, it has gotten stale. At this point, he is who he is. The track record with coordinators has been consistent. The playoff record has been consistent. The way they win games now is consistent. He may never completely bottom out to a 3-14 record but is he ever going to have a 12 or 13 win season? I would argue that 2020 12-win season was an aberration.

The Steelers have been exactly the same for the past 4 seasons...
  • Immaturity at spots (especially the WR position).
  • Poor in fundamentals (for every crazy catch Dionte makes, he drops a simple one, and their tackling has been atrocious).
  • Regardless of the coordinators, there is still confusion on both sides of the ball.
  • For every game they win the shouldn't, they lose 2 games they should win.
  • They may make the playoffs but they will get knocked out (easily)
We've reached the Chuck Noll 1980s era for Tomlin--he'll have some winning seasons, maybe make the playoffs but they'll be a middle of the road team.

The world is waking up. Last night the network isolated on Pickens and how he doesn’t do anything on runs. Said other teams have told them he does this and tells the D when it’s a run. A horrible look for any team. Add to that the Dionte Johnson mind meltdown when he stood there watching a fumble and walked off the field as the other team ran it back.

Tomlin hasn’t had any discipline on his teams since Antonia Brown and Ben. And this really goes right to the Rooneys. They need to call in Tomlin and tell ‘You get control of this team in three weeks or we will bring in someone that will’.

Because there’s a narrative to push….DEI

The Browns aren't the franchise for anyone to model themselves after.
Browns also have a playoff win since Tomlin last won--against Tomlin of course.
The Browns:
Total SB wins: 0
Total SB appearances: 0
No 1st round pick in 22-23-24. They traded for a QB who is now out for the season.

Yeah, there is a very obvious reason that today's mainstream sports media won't be critical of Tomlin.
I listened to some 93.7 from the Burgh today. Not only were the hosts very critical toward Tomlin, but so were all of the station promos. I have heard criticism of Tomlin from the hosts, but not from the station promos. Basically the entire station was taking a dump on the Steelers.

I'd say he has lost a ton of the local support. People are pissed and want heads to roll. The Steelers used to be the one city team you could rely upon to give a good season. The Rooney clan right now reeks of nepotism and dip shittery.

The Browns:
Total SB wins: 0
Total SB appearances: 0
No 1st round pick in 22-23-24. They traded for a QB who is now out for the season.
Right--no one wants to be the Browns yet they've won a playoff game more recently than the Steelers
John Elways owned the Browns or they'd have an appearance

Exactly. Perhaps, the easiest way to say this is that after 17 seasons, it has gotten stale. At this point, he is who he is. The track record with coordinators has been consistent. The playoff record has been consistent. The way they win games now is consistent. He may never completely bottom out to a 3-14 record but is he ever going to have a 12 or 13 win season? I would argue that 2020 12-win season was an aberration.

• Poor in fundamentals (for every crazy catch Dionte makes, he drops a simple one, and their tackling has been atrocious).
  • Regardless of the coordinators, there is still confusion on both sides of the ball.
We've reached the Chuck Noll 1980s era for Tomlin--he'll have some winning seasons, maybe make the playoffs but they'll be a middle of the road team.
People think Franklin has maxed out, Tomlin is worse than him in that regard. The Stillers are not winning another playoff game under Tomlin and certainly not ever threatening to win a conference title or Super Bowl.

People think Franklin has maxed out, Tomlin is worse than him in that regard. The Stillers are not winning another playoff game under Tomlin and certainly not ever threatening to win a conference title or Super Bowl.
They are 2 peas in a pod. Nice guys who talk a good talk. But for 60 minutes become complete dumbasses. Then become captain cliche in press conferences.

Reactions: Ski and hoflane

They are 2 peas in a pod. Nice guys who talk a good talk. But for 60 minutes become complete dumbasses. Then become captain cliche in press conferences.
At least Tomlin doesn't say that useless, empty, disingenuous comment at the beginning of every presser..."I appreciate you all coming out to cover Penn State football". Like he is the girls lacrosse coach at some little high school. Hey dummy, Penn State is a national brand attracting over a hundred thousand people to every home game with a lot of media who need to cover the program to do their fricken job. And you sure as hell know that so stop putting on that stupid act, you aren't appreciative. He just sounds like such a doofus when he says that and it is clear he doesn't mean it.

Reactions: Ski and PAgeologist
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT