ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where we stand with recruits 4/21

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
These used to come on Mondays and with a new work project that has a bevy of tasks due on Mondays they will now at earliest come Tuesday. This one is kind of long too...

Updates: I didn't move McPhearson up last week even though many suggested it, but I guess I should have listened as he pulled the trigger and is a Nittany Lion. Moved Angeline down since he chose to go to ND last weekend over PSU, still think home state advantage will eventually win out, no matter how many articles Tom Loy writes about him. I moved Ball up and Niang down. I think with Ball we are trending up but moving Niang down has nothing to do with his interest in us, I just feel that right now based on where the coaches have been spending time recruiting OL that those two are on more equal footing and wanted to reflect that in my categories. Speaking of the OL, Harbaugh is invading PSU territory and making the moves on Davis, so not to be out done Jimmy Franklin had 4* OG Onwenu come down from MI to Blue-White and showed him a great time that ended with an Offer. Davis is looking more out of reach but Onwenu is an interesting one to watch, and a nice test case on Franklin's ability to recruit nationally. Another national recruit to watch is King, I thought we'd have to get real lucky on that one but he had a great visit a few weeks ago and we are definitely in the hunt there. At OLB I feel much better about Brown than Hansford, if anything comes out about Brown's Blue-White experience he could be in for moving up more on the chart. Diggs could be on tap to move down the list and fellow MD 4* WR Smothers may be moving up in coming weeks after visiting twice last week. I have no idea what making Boudreaux's top 10 or Upshurs top 12 actually means other than they stay on the list. Lastly Nordin is back up to In The Battle after a good visit.

Commit Watch:
4* OL Menet, 4* CB Hamlin, 4* DL Dioubate, 3* OLB Hudson, 3* S Pryts, 3* OT Fries

Very Good Chance:
4* TE Angeline, 4* DE Betiku, 4* DT Jordan, 4* DE Johnson, 3* DT Wheeler

In The Battle:
4* WR Nixon, 4* WR Diggs, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DE King, 4* OG Boudreaux, 4* OG Onwenu, 4* TE Farrell, 3* OLB Brown, 3* OT Ball, 3* DE Toney, 3* DT Panasiuk, 3* DT Colon, 3* OT Niang, 3* OL McCargo, 3* TE Dalton, 3* CB Gilbert, K Nordin

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* ATH Fuller, 4* QB Haskins, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* CB Rene, 3* DT Kamara, 3* OLB Hansford,

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* OT Williams, 4* DE Kareem, 4* WR Layne, 4* WR Smothers

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none).

I agree with most. I'd probably swap Wheeler and Hamlin. I might even move Hamlin down to "In the Battle" I think we have work to do their and have a lot of competition from OSU, ND, and possibly Pitt. I'd probably drop Betiku and Johnson down as well.

The type of W/L record we have this year is going to be very important. If we struggle, then the negative recruiting against us will focus on JF's perceived coaching ability.

I agree with most. I'd probably swap Wheeler and Hamlin. I might even move Hamlin down to "In the Battle" I think we have work to do their and have a lot of competition from OSU, ND, and possibly Pitt. I'd probably drop Betiku and Johnson down as well.
Agree with this. Would also move Toney up. If we want him, we get him

These used to come on Mondays and with a new work project that has a bevy of tasks due on Mondays they will now at earliest come Tuesday. This one is kind of long too...

Updates: I didn't move McPhearson up last week even though many suggested it, but I guess I should have listened as he pulled the trigger and is a Nittany Lion. Moved Angeline down since he chose to go to ND last weekend over PSU, still think home state advantage will eventually win out, no matter how many articles Tom Loy writes about him. I moved Ball up and Niang down. I think with Ball we are trending up but moving Niang down has nothing to do with his interest in us, I just feel that right now based on where the coaches have been spending time recruiting OL that those two are on more equal footing and wanted to reflect that in my categories. Speaking of the OL, Harbaugh is invading PSU territory and making the moves on Davis, so not to be out done Jimmy Franklin had 4* OG Onwenu come down from MI to Blue-White and showed him a great time that ended with an Offer. Davis is looking more out of reach but Onwenu is an interesting one to watch, and a nice test case on Franklin's ability to recruit nationally. Another national recruit to watch is King, I thought we'd have to get real lucky on that one but he had a great visit a few weeks ago and we are definitely in the hunt there. At OLB I feel much better about Brown than Hansford, if anything comes out about Brown's Blue-White experience he could be in for moving up more on the chart. Diggs could be on tap to move down the list and fellow MD 4* WR Smothers may be moving up in coming weeks after visiting twice last week. I have no idea what making Boudreaux's top 10 or Upshurs top 12 actually means other than they stay on the list. Lastly Nordin is back up to In The Battle after a good visit.

Commit Watch:
4* OL Menet, 4* CB Hamlin, 4* DL Dioubate, 3* OLB Hudson, 3* S Pryts, 3* OT Fries

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:
4* WR Nixon, 4* WR Diggs, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DE King, 4* OG Boudreaux, 4* OG Onwenu, 4* TE Farrell, 3* OLB Brown, 3* OT Ball, 3* DE Toney, 3* DT Panasiuk, 3* DT Colon, 3* OT Niang, 3* OL McCargo, 3* TE Dalton, 3* CB Gilbert, K Nordin

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* ATH Fuller, 4* QB Haskins, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* CB Rene, 3* DT Kamara, 3* OLB Hansford,

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none).

And while I do love your literary work, all of what you said don't mean a hill of beans now bmw......And it hurts me to say that about you.

I appreciate your time and effort.

And while I do love your literary work, all of what you said don't mean a hill of beans now bmw......And it hurts me to say that about you.

I appreciate your time and effort.

How do you mean Glov? Because of the new format? Or because we are 9 1/2 months from signing day?

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Franklin needs Gary much like JoePa needed DWill.

A 4* LB would sure be nice. LBU seems to be in a recruiting rut. Also need two 4* DTs. The holes on the LOS and at LB are frustrating because the team is loaded at most skill positions. Got some good OL prospects last year but they will need time to grow.

Franklin needs Gary much like JoePa needed DWill.

A 4* LB would sure be nice. LBU seems to be in a recruiting rut. Also need two 4* DTs. The holes on the LOS and at LB are frustrating because the team is loaded at most skill positions. Got some good OL prospects last year but they will need time to grow.

You would think that Gary would come in and start right away and for that reason would be huge, but I don't think we NEED him. It would become more important to keep A. Johnson(who was only a 3* himself) without him, even so White has looked better than a 3* in spring camp. Getting depth is key, while I would love to get Gary, Dioubate, and Jordan, getting one of them plus Wheeler and Pansuik or Colon certainly wouldn't be a bad hull.

Gary is going to take officials. We should be one of them, plus maybe one more unofficial. Winning games could go a long way with him.

At LB, I don't agree. Cabinda, Reeder, Bowen, & Cooper are all natural LBs we've gotten the last two years, add in positional moves from Farmer and Kelly and I think we have a nice crop of LBs. Plus this seems to be more of a priority in 2017 where we are in well with 4*s Adams (PA), Rivers (VA), Roberts (DE), and Dixon (MD) already. If we miss on Ferns don't expect more than Hudson and/or Brown.

I admit that I'm influenced by star ratings. It scares me when I see OSU with eight 4* LBs in the last 2 years. Our only 4* recruits are Bowen (only 3* by ESPN & 247) and Farmer (who is a converted DB).

My perception is that Cabinda, Reeder, & Cooper will be solid run stuffers in the middle but might not have the 4* athleticism to make plays sideline to sideline. We should learn more this fall because Cabinda will get a lot of PT and one of the other guys might see some time in a backup role.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Upshur has me totally confused .I am glad we still have a shot now that he has put us on his top 13 list. I thought he was ignoring us until he showed up at the B/W game with Toney.

Do we take more than one TE or is it first one on board? Plus, are we looking at any other QBs?

Do we take more than one TE or is it first one on board? Plus, are we looking at any other QBs?

My thought is that it is the first one on board. I don't think Upshur is coming to Penn State. Ferrell was a OSU lean but they have Hausmann and are already running off players because of scholarships, so I don't think they can afford 2 TEs. I think more than likely it comes down to Dalton or Angeline, with Angeline being a bit of a tougher get but the more preferred prospect.

If I redid the list today I would move Haskins down again(to Lucky) and I think that is it for QBs since we are all in on 5* Hunter Johnson in 2017 and Zembiec is going to pick up a 4th* before this is all said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT