ADVERTISEMENT

TODAY'S CONTROVERSIAL POLL: Best Rock Band Guitarist!

Who's the best all time rock band guitarist?

• Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

• George Harrison, The Beatles

• Pete Townshend, The Who

• Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

• Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

• Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

• Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

• Eric Clapton, Cream

• David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

• Joey Ramone, The Ramones

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jesus H Christ we are forgetting Lindsay Buckingham.... while EVH is well above the other candidates offered on the original "Poll"... Lindsay Buckingham is about as good as they come...

LB is tasty and a good songwriter.. I work with a 27 year guitar teacher who can play Eruption with his left hand.. the kid is so good that when he plays songs the starts out with 3 note chords, moves on to 7th chords in the 2nd verse, and then jumps to 9th chords and the last verse just to build tension.. so when I here stuff like "as good as they come" when guys like Johnny Hiland are alive.. youtube Johnny Hiland out there its SMH.. watch this attached video of Ben Higgins:

Where is Slash?

Also, although not considered very often when looking at these types of polls, Brad Gillis of Night Ranger is an absolute master of the guitar. Night Ranger is unfortunately known for their power ballads (i.e. Sister Christian) but the guitar work on many of their other tunes is crazy good.

Finally, I repeat again, where is Slash in the poll? Also, a poll like this without Randy Rhoads? An interesting bit of triva regarding Brad Gillis (of Night Ranger) and Randy R. When Randy died in that tragic accident, Gillis stepped in and filled his spot with Ozzy for a while.

Voted for Gilmour though any listed could be tops.

What about the Edge, Dave Matthews, Peter Buck, and/or Kurt Cobain?

You like scofield, give me McLaughlin then for Miles Davis alum. See Mahavishnu orchestra and Jack Johnson soundtrack with Miles.

Brian May and Mark Knopfler should be on the list. Two of the best ever. And I do not even like their bands.

Criteria: Lead guitarist for a rock band, no solo acts (so, no Hendrix, BB King, Chuck Berry, Prince, Les Paul, or SRV).

Vote: One per person - make it count!

Write in's: You're gonna do it anyway; go ahead.

And before anyone gets cute, no Randy Marsh doesn't count...

tumblr_lmojjq7BkP1qiafiwo1_500.gif

1. Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page-earls-court-1975.jpg

2. George Harrison, The Beatles

26d052796259ff41b29f7ee1eb4ce20fc6d24384.jpg

3. Pete Townshend, The Who

abded84bf935f33ea2d12616a55caaf6c00eaf78.jpg

4. Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

6dd0a6693bbee130b81046bcae5cfcd2f42b8648.jpg

5. Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

81c1344375d54cdcbc8051f6d9e7bf2064225c85.jpg

6. Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

6d5c289840eaff749d8b57227da77b7e58245ec2.jpg

7. Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

22ef48e63dbafd2cf4f9abbf4784b520bcf368e1.jpg

8. Eric Clapton, Cream

ca8f381086fdccf394db91c5c2b655d46e41a9f0.jpg

9. David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

f32690c358842751a251c222aa31a273ad5ef28d.jpg

10. Johnny Ramone, The Ramones

feaa1c3d3c09fbd7a7a152842b3f4908759af294.jpg
Alvin Lee----Ten Years After Just for the hell of it

You like scofield, give me McLaughlin then for Miles Davis alum. See Mahavishnu orchestra and Jack Johnson soundtrack with Miles.
I have a friend who is a masterful technician and a very modest guy. He told me an incredible story about John McLaughlin.

LINK: John McLaughlin - Genius

From the linked article:

I went to soundcheck the next day in the large hall in Boston where they were performing, and when I heard just how loud they were going to be, I started to get really nervous. But as I watched John get to work, it was inspiring to me when I realized I was watching a master. The monitor-mix guy had a 10-band dynamic EQ in his gear rack. It’s essentially a multi-band parametric EQ with dynamic suppression on each band, so the louder the particular frequency got in its own band, the deeper the suppression. And John was starting and stopping the trio and yelling out frequencies—not notes—to the monitor guy! When he was finished with all 10 bands, all the “hot notes” and body and top resonances were perfectly in control at ear-blasting levels.

Reactions: rudedude
Criteria: Lead guitarist for a rock band, no solo acts (so, no Hendrix, BB King, Chuck Berry, Prince, Les Paul, or SRV).

Vote: One per person - make it count!

Write in's: You're gonna do it anyway; go ahead.

And before anyone gets cute, no Randy Marsh doesn't count...

tumblr_lmojjq7BkP1qiafiwo1_500.gif

1. Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page-earls-court-1975.jpg

2. George Harrison, The Beatles

26d052796259ff41b29f7ee1eb4ce20fc6d24384.jpg

3. Pete Townshend, The Who

abded84bf935f33ea2d12616a55caaf6c00eaf78.jpg

4. Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

6dd0a6693bbee130b81046bcae5cfcd2f42b8648.jpg

5. Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

81c1344375d54cdcbc8051f6d9e7bf2064225c85.jpg

6. Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

6d5c289840eaff749d8b57227da77b7e58245ec2.jpg

7. Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

22ef48e63dbafd2cf4f9abbf4784b520bcf368e1.jpg

8. Eric Clapton, Cream

ca8f381086fdccf394db91c5c2b655d46e41a9f0.jpg

9. David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

f32690c358842751a251c222aa31a273ad5ef28d.jpg

10. Johnny Ramone, The Ramones

feaa1c3d3c09fbd7a7a152842b3f4908759af294.jpg

Jimmy Page over Keith Richard?

No F'in way!

That made me laugh!!

I'm not sure you can call Keith Richard a lead guitarist. He primarily plays rhythm and may have written some of the most memorable rhythms ever.

another flawed poll, ala USAToday... Not having Ritchie Blackmore and Dave Davies on this list is a sin... as much as I respect his impact on R+R, Eric Clapton is overrated IMHO... Breaking News: Joey Ramone was not responsible for the Ramones incredible guitar-crunch... George Harrison, my favorite Beatle, relied to much on that signature "dying cat" sound that is like a whiff of taragon to some (ie: me)

the poll really isn't necessary anyway as EVH is, by far, the greatest guitar god based on body-of-work, innovation, and the way his style impacted everything that came afterward, nothing tops the EVH Frankenstrat "brown sound"... Pete is wayyyy up there, too, but for other reasons

some sleepers that, while certainly not "greatest of all time" warrant a nod of appreciation (personal favorites) Fast Eddie Clarke... Glen Tipton... Rudolf Schenker... Tom Sholz... Eliot Easton (wayyyyyy underappreciated) Gary Moore .... Jon Sykes... Warren DiMartini... George Lynch

+1 on Tom Sholz

I'm going to show a little love for Alex Lifeson. Find me one person who doesn't instantly recognize a Rush song. To me, writing the riff is more important than the playing as you can always find people who can play incredibly fast. Its the creativity and attention to detail that sets the great ones apart for me. And just to be clear, Alex can pick it too.

I believe you have to include Neil Schon. And as far as great guitarists that would have to include one of the fastest and smoothest ever, Mr Roy Clark.

There are many great guitarists that fronted rock bands. IMHO when objectively looking at factors (on balance) such as composer, writer, riff meister, live performer, musical influencer and rock persona, Jimmy Page leads the group.

James Burton

Grady Martin

Hank Garland

Eddie Cochran

Scotty Moore

All these original greats would kill any dick beat that came after.

I voted for Johnny Ramone on the list just because he had balls. Keith had balls, but gave em up to keep Jagger happy.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

James Burton

Grady Martin

Hank Garland

Eddie Cochran

Scotty Moore

All these original greats would kill any dick beat that came after.

I voted for Johnny Ramone on the list just because he had balls. Keith had balls, but gave em up to keep Jagger happy.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Ah, no he didn't. Keith still has the balls of the band sir.

Reactions: mn78psu83
My new favorite version of the song. The intro jam is awesome.

Great stuff Dave! I might have to splurge for that '72 live box set. Howe did some fine work with Asia too. I remember the '09 Yes/Asia tour when Steve did double duty for both bands.

How about Trevor Rabin and Steve Hackett? Loved Hackett's work with Genesis in the 70's. I know Trevor was only in he band 10 years but went on to have a great career writing movie soundtracks. He did the soundtracks for Con Air, Enemy of the State, Armageddon, National Treasure and Get Smart to name a few.

My new favorite version of the song. The intro jam is awesome.

Dave, here's the ultimate video of YIND. The actual 5 who recorded the Yes Album in '71. Don't see many early videos of Bill Bruford before he left the band, or Tony Kaye on keyboards. Steve has to be one of the most "underrated" guitarists of all-time.

Yes you can!

He is one of the very best all-around guitar players.

Go see the Stones bro...Ron Wood almost exclusively plays lead. That in no way is a put down to Keith. He is by far the best that ever lived at what he does. It just isn't guitar solo's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT