ADVERTISEMENT

TODAY'S CONTROVERSIAL POLL: Best Rock Band Guitarist!

Who's the best all time rock band guitarist?

• Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

• George Harrison, The Beatles

• Pete Townshend, The Who

• Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

• Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

• Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

• Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

• Eric Clapton, Cream

• David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

• Joey Ramone, The Ramones

Results are only viewable after voting.
Obviously some who posted their preferences here are not guitar players as I can tell by their responses. However, 9 of the top 10 are definitely deserving, especially since Joey Ramone was a lead singer not a guitar player (Johnny was the guitar player). Keith Richards and Rudolf Schenker are rhythm guitarists, although in the tops of that category, but because of that they don't fit into this poll.

My all time favorite is Michael Schenker of the Scorpions and UFO - Chops and tone extraordinaire. He has been a major influence on many current guitar players including Kirk Hammet. Also a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore (one of the first neoclassical shredders), Tony Iommi (basically invented a whole new genre of rock music), and Uli Roth (also one of the first neoclassical shredders) to name a few. I don't know why Iommi was not included in the top 10 of the poll as it would be a routine thing for most rock guitarists. Page was not only a great guitar player, but also a top notch arranger and producer. It is impossible for me to pick who is the best, because many of these players all are up there and for different reasons.

My background is that I have played guitar since 1971, played in a rock band for awhile, own more that 25 guitars and a few amps, have built my own guitar amp and built 20+ effects pedals - just finished a Tonebender MKIII clone and am currently working on a Rangemaster treble booster clone. Doesn't make me any more qualified for the poll, but I may be coming at it from a somewhat different perspective than a lot of people.

Reactions: bytir
let's face the best looking guitar is Sheryl Crow, now I could watch and listen to her all day!!! I know she is not in a 'Band' but heck who cares!!! I don't know if she can really play, but heck, who cares!!! I do like her.......sound!

Obviously some who posted their preferences here are not guitar players as I can tell by their responses. However, 9 of the top 10 are definitely deserving, especially since Joey Ramone was a lead singer not a guitar player (Johnny was the guitar player). Keith Richards and Rudolf Schenker are rhythm guitarists, although in the tops of that category, but because of that they don't fit into this poll.

My all time favorite is Michael Schenker of the Scorpions and UFO - Chops and tone extraordinaire. He has been a major influence on many current guitar players including Kirk Hammet. Also a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore (one of the first neoclassical shredders), Tony Iommi (basically invented a whole new genre of rock music), and Uli Roth (also one of the first neoclassical shredders) to name a few. I don't know why Iommi was not included in the top 10 of the poll as it would be a routine thing for most rock guitarists. Page was not only a great guitar player, but also a top notch arranger and producer. It is impossible for me to pick who is the best, because many of these players all are up there and for different reasons.

My background is that I have played guitar since 1971, played in a rock band for awhile, own more that 25 guitars and a few amps, have built my own guitar amp and built 20+ effects pedals - just finished a Tonebender MKIII clone and am currently working on a Rangemaster treble booster clone. Doesn't make me any more qualified for the poll, but I may be coming at it from a somewhat different perspective than a lot of people.

I mis-typed; obviously meant Johnny Ramone (and that is a picture of Johnny Ramone). Further, poll says rock band guitarist, not necessarily 'lead' guitarists. Man, this isn't worth doing half the time. Do your own f'n poll.

These polls are great. I'd be prone to pontificate on this one though. Have played and been a fan of the guitar - styles across the board for 45 years now. Hendrix, Beck, SRV, Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Paco de Lucia, John McLaughlin, Joe Pass, Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Slash, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, John Williams, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, EVH, John Scofield, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheney, Pat Martino, etc...

You've earned my undying respect. Especially for Pat Martino.

I mis-typed; obviously meant Johnny Ramone (and that is a picture of Johnny Ramone). Further, poll says rock band guitarist, not necessarily 'lead' guitarists. Man, this isn't worth doing half the time. Do your own f'n poll.
no man it is!! I think they are great, just some people playing with you!! It's your poll and your rules- like you said, 'did I say best LEAD guitarist??' No so move on !! Keep up the good work. (fwiw, I like them because I've learned something, never heard of half these guys people brought up, like the guy playing classical gas, without this poll I would have missed that!)

yea.. it would be guys you've never heard of.. you even left a few monsters off of the list.. George Lynch, Neil Schon would slaughter 2/3rds of those guys..

as a guy who owns a wall full of guitars and plays constantly I would give the nod to Van Halen, Hendrix and SRV... as all three of those guys have influenced tons of players.. Hendrix reinvented the guitar, EVH pulled music out of a disco rut, and SRV bot the blues scales and 9th chords to the masses. But guys like Yngwie Malmsteem, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Bonmassa, Nuno Bettencourt, George Lynch, Al Dimeola, Steve Morse, John Petrucci all dominate in their specific niches.. Steve Vai has probably spent more time playing guitar than anybody alive on the planet.. the guy's work ethic is insane.-sg

Reactions: rudedude
While not my favorite band by a longshot, Brian May from Queen should be on the list.

Who on here doesn't instantly recognize his sound, no matter the song?

Last summer Eddie Trunk did a great interview with Joe Satriani and Joe told a awesome story about the first time he and Kirk Hammett met Brian May at a benefit. The two of them went to Brian's dressing room and nervously asked if they could take a turn on Brian's guitar hoping that they could replicate his famous sound. They both took turns on it and it sounded to them like a very normal guitar when they played. Joe says that Brian then picked it up and tore into his licks, making that undeniable Brian May sound that two guitar greats, Joe and Kirk, couldn't make. It was a great story told by Joe who holds up Brian May as one of the best ever.

You've earned my undying respect. Especially for Pat Martino.
When I was in high school one of our friends was more progressive than the rest of us musically. He turned those of us who wanted to listen to Pat Martino, Joe Pass, etc... I just last week listened to Pat Martino. That picking. Wow. I love youtube. John Scofield played the most interesting "blues" solo I've ever heard live. It was his own blues, but it was one of the greatest examples of improv I've ever seen or heard. Full of seemingly broken lines that wound there way back to the theme. Just beautiful. Here is Pat Martino's version of Impressions. Wes' is the other great version.

Last edited:
While not my favorite band by a longshot, Brian May from Queen should be on the list.

Last summer Eddie Trunk did a great interview with Joe Satriani and Joe told a awesome story about the first time he and Kirk Hammett met Brian May at a benefit. The two of them went to Brian's dressing room and nervously asked if they could take a turn on Brian's guitar hoping that they could replicate his famous sound. They both took turns on it and it sounded to them like a very normal guitar when they played. Joe says that Brian then picked it up and tore into his licks, making that undeniable Brian May sound that two guitar greats, Joe and Kirk, couldn't make. It was a great story told by Joe who holds up Brian May as one of the best ever.

It was between him and Johnny Ramone for the last slot. I figured I'd had enough 'legendary band guitarists' and wanted to flavor the poll a bit with someone comparable but in another genre.

Reactions: senatedon
another flawed poll, ala USAToday... Not having Ritchie Blackmore and Dave Davies on this list is a sin... as much as I respect his impact on R+R, Eric Clapton is overrated IMHO... Breaking News: Joey Ramone was not responsible for the Ramones incredible guitar-crunch... George Harrison, my favorite Beatle, relied to much on that signature "dying cat" sound that is like a whiff of taragon to some (ie: me)

the poll really isn't necessary anyway as EVH is, by far, the greatest guitar god based on body-of-work, innovation, and the way his style impacted everything that came afterward, nothing tops the EVH Frankenstrat "brown sound"... Pete is wayyyy up there, too, but for other reasons

some sleepers that, while certainly not "greatest of all time" warrant a nod of appreciation (personal favorites) Fast Eddie Clarke... Glen Tipton... Rudolf Schenker... Tom Sholz... Eliot Easton (wayyyyyy underappreciated) Gary Moore .... Jon Sykes... Warren DiMartini... George Lynch

I agree that Clapton is very overrated, but there's no need to poop all over this poll. Any top guitarist poll that has a limited number of choices is flawed, by definition, since there's absolutely no right or wrong. This poll is fun, as evidenced by all the replies. I will weigh in with my expert opinions later.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
From your list I'm going Keith Richards.
But my write in is Brian May.
And you know I'm a huge Johnny Marr fan.

when you've played a long time you are who you are.. if EVH blugged into Billy Gibbons rig it would sound like EVH.. Take Slash or Keith Richards.. neither guy is proficient or blessed with much dexterity.. they are both unorthodox and it would be very hard to get their stuff down exactly.. I've covered Stones stuff but didn't even bother copping Keith, I just played the same chords, but it would be hard for me to ever sound like him as I grew up playing EVH, Lynch, Ratt and stuff that is not remotely as funky or offbeat.. Slash bends notes half-ass, or over bends.. stuff that sounds cool but is not really inline with accurate playing.. 30 years into playing I finally started playing some funk and it has taken me a while to get used to that stuff.-sg

Eddie Van Halen was asked "How does it feel to be considered the worlds greatest guitar player" and he replied "I don't know, go ask Steve Lukather".

Jimmy Hendrix supposedly once said that about Phil Keaggy. Anyway, just joking about Lukather. I don't know enough of his work to have an opinion.

Phil Keaggy is an EXCELLENT choice also, he was just so incredible, so amazing, and it makes perfect sense that Jimi was so enamored with his playing. It's just a theory, but it's possible that had Keaggy not gone in the direction of Christian-based and oriented music, he might have been more widely known.

That's a pretty good list. Personally, I would've added Ronnie Wood to it. His body of work with Faces and later with the Stones is rather impressive.

Reactions: Grant Green
1- Townshend
2- Page
3- mick Taylor........Richards couldn't hang with his solos but man Keef could write the riffs!

I agree that Clapton is very overrated, but there's no need to poop all over this poll. Any top guitarist poll that has a limited number of choices is flawed, by definition, since there's absolutely no right or wrong. This poll is fun, as evidenced by all the replies. I will weigh in with my expert opinions later.

exactly... limiting the selections was a poor decision... and some of the choices were poor (George Harrison, Joey Ramone? c'mon dude)
also Agree - as I, too, enjoy reading the dissertaions in the thread

That's a pretty good list. Personally, I would've added Ronnie Wood to it. His body of work with Faces and later with the Stones is rather impressive.
Ronnie wood is Keef light. There's a reason mick Taylor at age of 21 replaced Brian Jones in the Stones!

Of that list, Gilmour is an easy choice for me. Such a distinctive sound.
I will second Morello as a write in vote. Phenomenal, innovative, distinctive.

Last edited:
Criteria: Lead guitarist for a rock band, no solo acts (so, no Hendrix, BB King, Chuck Berry, Prince, Les Paul, or SRV).

Vote: One per person - make it count!

Write in's: You're gonna do it anyway; go ahead.

And before anyone gets cute, no Randy Marsh doesn't count...

tumblr_lmojjq7BkP1qiafiwo1_500.gif

1. Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page-earls-court-1975.jpg

2. George Harrison, The Beatles

26d052796259ff41b29f7ee1eb4ce20fc6d24384.jpg

3. Pete Townshend, The Who

abded84bf935f33ea2d12616a55caaf6c00eaf78.jpg

4. Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

6dd0a6693bbee130b81046bcae5cfcd2f42b8648.jpg

5. Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

81c1344375d54cdcbc8051f6d9e7bf2064225c85.jpg

6. Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

6d5c289840eaff749d8b57227da77b7e58245ec2.jpg

7. Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

22ef48e63dbafd2cf4f9abbf4784b520bcf368e1.jpg

8. Eric Clapton, Cream

ca8f381086fdccf394db91c5c2b655d46e41a9f0.jpg

9. David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

f32690c358842751a251c222aa31a273ad5ef28d.jpg

10. Johnny Ramone, The Ramones

feaa1c3d3c09fbd7a7a152842b3f4908759af294.jpg
My vote goes for Steve Morse.

yea.. it would be guys you've never heard of.. you even left a few monsters off of the list.. George Lynch, Neil Schon would slaughter 2/3rds of those guys..

as a guy who owns a wall full of guitars and plays constantly I would give the nod to Van Halen, Hendrix and SRV... as all three of those guys have influenced tons of players.. Hendrix reinvented the guitar, EVH pulled music out of a disco rut, and SRV bot the blues scales and 9th chords to the masses. But guys like Yngwie Malmsteem, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Bonmassa, Nuno Bettencourt, George Lynch, Al Dimeola, Steve Morse, John Petrucci all dominate in their specific niches.. Steve Vai has probably spent more time playing guitar than anybody alive on the planet.. the guy's work ethic is insane.-sg
exactly... limiting the selections was a poor decision... and some of the choices were poor (George Harrison, Joey Ramone? c'mon dude)
also Agree - as I, too, enjoy reading the dissertaions in the thread

Well, it's either use POLL feature on this website which limits you to ten choices (but, keeps track of all the voting), or you have a wide open write in poll where someone has to keep tabs.

And to be honest, I lifted the top rock band guitarists in near identical fashion from this Rolling Stone article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

Their panel of experts who contributed to their poll includes:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Here was their Top Ten:

10. Pete Townshend
9. Duane Allman
8. Eddie Van Halen
7. Chuck Berry
6. B.B. King
5. Jeff Beck
4. Keith Richards
3. Jimmy Page
2. Eric Clapton
1. Jimi Hendrix

So, in my poll, which was supposed to be limited to rock BAND guitarists, I had No's 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11 (George Harrison), 14 (David Gilmour), and 28 (Johnny Ramone). Queen's Brian May should have been before Johnny Ramone (he was ranked #26), but again, wanted some variety. If I were keeping it 'straight' to what Rolling Stone had, both Angus Young (ACDC) and Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) would have been before Ramone and May.

In essence, your beef is with those folks above, to include Eddie Van Halen and Nancy Wilson, who voted in that poll - not me. And those idiots, to include Carlos Santana and Tom Morello, put Davies at #91 and Blackmore at #50. I'm not suggesting that this poll is settled law by any stretch, but that the list comes from a pretty informed voter base.

Last edited by a moderator:

The problem with guys like Malmsteen and Vai, in my opinion, is that while their chops are otherworldly, they use them to make music that few people want to listen to, which is usually the point of playing an instrument. (Black Star is one exception, though. Great Malmsteen song.)

the thing about this list.. only Beck and EVH have chops.. there are 13 guys that hang out in every Guitar Center in the country that would slaughter anybody else on the list.. now.. TASTE and SONGWRITING are very important.. but I feel a "great" guitar player should have some dexterity and the ability to run a scale or two.. Gilmour is a great player but he'd be lost in an uptempo rocker with a double bass kick.-sg

the thing about this list.. only Beck and EVH have chops.. there are 13 guys that hang out in every Guitar Center in the country that would slaughter anybody else on the list.. now.. TASTE and SONGWRITING are very important.. but I feel a "great" guitar player should have some dexterity and the ability to run a scale or two.. Gilmour is a great player but he'd be lost in an uptempo rocker with a double bass kick.-sg

See my post to MMII. Thanks.

another flawed poll, ala USAToday... Not having Ritchie Blackmore and Dave Davies on this list is a sin... as much as I respect his impact on R+R, Eric Clapton is overrated IMHO... Breaking News: Joey Ramone was not responsible for the Ramones incredible guitar-crunch... George Harrison, my favorite Beatle, relied to much on that signature "dying cat" sound that is like a whiff of taragon to some (ie: me)

the poll really isn't necessary anyway as EVH is, by far, the greatest guitar god based on body-of-work, innovation, and the way his style impacted everything that came afterward, nothing tops the EVH Frankenstrat "brown sound"... Pete is wayyyy up there, too, but for other reasons

some sleepers that, while certainly not "greatest of all time" warrant a nod of appreciation (personal favorites) Fast Eddie Clarke... Glen Tipton... Rudolf Schenker... Tom Sholz... Eliot Easton (wayyyyyy underappreciated) Gary Moore .... Jon Sykes... Warren DiMartini... George Lynch
agree on Ritchie Blackmore

Jimmy Page said it was Jerry Garcia back in 1971. I'll go with that.

I will say there's been no more versatile guitarist than Garcia. Ever.

Jimmy Page said it was Jerry Garcia back in 1971. I'll go with that.

I will say there's been no more versatile guitarist than Garcia. Ever.

Thoughts on Prince? BB King said something similar about him....oh, and if you haven't seen it, his solo during a performance of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at George Harrison's RRHOF induction ceremony is BLISTERING....watch Harrison's son in the background; kid is in awe (Prince shows up at 3:28)...

Reactions: simons96
Thoughts on Prince? BB King said something similar about him....oh, and if you haven't seen it, his solo during a performance of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at George Harrison's RRHOF induction ceremony is BLISTERING....watch Harrison's son in the background; kid is in awe (Prince shows up at 3:28)...

Lawdy I've been sharing that video for years! When Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Steve Winwood all pause to bask in Prince's greatness, you know he is a legend. The younger Harrison is definitely thrilled as well.

Lawdy I've been sharing that video for years! When Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Steve Winwood all pause to bask in Prince's greatness, you know he is a legend. The younger Harrison is definitely thrilled as well.

I hadn't seen it before but I was talking about rock guitar players with my dad and he showed it to me. I was just stunned. Not because I didn't think Prince could play that well, but because he absolutely kills it on a stage with a lot of star power. It's just thrilling to watch. If you had to go 'entire package', I don't know that anyone beats Prince - probably an all time top ten songwriter too.

I hadn't seen it before but I was talking about rock guitar players with my dad and he showed it to me. I was just stunned. Not because I didn't think Prince could play that well, but because he absolutely kills it on a stage with a lot of star power. It's just thrilling to watch. If you had to go 'entire package', I don't know that anyone beats Prince - probably an all time top ten songwriter too.

I perform "Delirious" and "Gett Off" for karaoke. no I will not share videos. :rolleyes:

and I think "Let's Go Crazy" is one of the best guitar songs of all time

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
If you judge by innovation and creativity, without requiring advanced chops, then you have to consider Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth. I think they expanded the "vocabulary" of rock guitar more than anyone in the last 30 years. But of course, their music is not for everyone.

Reactions: massimoManca II
Jesus H Christ we are forgetting Lindsay Buckingham.... while EVH is well above the other candidates offered on the original "Poll"... Lindsay Buckingham is about as good as they come...

Wow. That is a performer as well as a musician. Phenomenal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT