ADVERTISEMENT

TODAY'S CONTROVERSIAL POLL: Best Rock Band Guitarist!

Who's the best all time rock band guitarist?

• Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

• George Harrison, The Beatles

• Pete Townshend, The Who

• Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

• Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

• Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

• Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

• Eric Clapton, Cream

• David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

• Joey Ramone, The Ramones

Results are only viewable after voting.
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Criteria: Lead guitarist for a rock band, no solo acts (so, no Hendrix, BB King, Chuck Berry, Prince, Les Paul, or SRV).

Vote: One per person - make it count!

Write in's: You're gonna do it anyway; go ahead.

And before anyone gets cute, no Randy Marsh doesn't count...

tumblr_lmojjq7BkP1qiafiwo1_500.gif

1. Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page-earls-court-1975.jpg

2. George Harrison, The Beatles

26d052796259ff41b29f7ee1eb4ce20fc6d24384.jpg

3. Pete Townshend, The Who

abded84bf935f33ea2d12616a55caaf6c00eaf78.jpg

4. Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers

6dd0a6693bbee130b81046bcae5cfcd2f42b8648.jpg

5. Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

81c1344375d54cdcbc8051f6d9e7bf2064225c85.jpg

6. Jeff Beck, Yardbirds

6d5c289840eaff749d8b57227da77b7e58245ec2.jpg

7. Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones

22ef48e63dbafd2cf4f9abbf4784b520bcf368e1.jpg

8. Eric Clapton, Cream

ca8f381086fdccf394db91c5c2b655d46e41a9f0.jpg

9. David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

f32690c358842751a251c222aa31a273ad5ef28d.jpg

10. Johnny Ramone, The Ramones

feaa1c3d3c09fbd7a7a152842b3f4908759af294.jpg

I am a huge Clapton fan but his body of work is only slightly part of Cream. Also love EVH for his creativity. LOVE Pink Floyd's Gilmour and feel that the lick in Comfortably Numb is the best guitar lick of all time. Pete & Page are also fantastic.

However, based on body of work as a lead guitarist, gotta go with the Stones' KR. Just about every Stones hit, in the millions?, starts with a cool and unique guitar lick. And what depth and diversity: from "hot stuff" to "beast of burden" to "Angie" to "start me up" to "brown sugar", to Gimme Shelter"...

Dude is awesome.

Last edited:
This one is visceral. I voted for Jeff Beck on the basis of the poll. Was just listening to Jeff this morning - Freeway Jam from Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Live. The way he builds the solo from 2:25 to the feedback at 3:01 is just genius. Don't believe in a best guitarist. I have a favorite - Jimi Hendrix since 9th grade, but I won't say that he is the best. There are so many fabulous musicians who have set foot on the stage. I'm one and done with this poll. Don't want to get too involved. :)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
This one is visceral. I voted for Jeff Beck on the basis of the poll. Was just listening to Jeff this morning - Freeway Jam from Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Live. The way he builds the solo from 2:25 to the feedback at 3:01 is just genius. Don't believe in a best guitarist. I have a favorite - Jimi Hendrix since 9th grade, but I won't say that he is the best. There are so many fabulous musicians who have set foot on the stage. I'm one and done with this poll. Don't want to get too involved. :)

Of course very subjective and personal when it comes to music; probably my favorite guitarist of all time is Adam Jones from Tool, and/or Slash from GnR - but, I just didn't have the room. I actually tried to play to what are the 'consensus' best guitarists and ones that would resonate most with the voters here.

another flawed poll, ala USAToday... Not having Ritchie Blackmore and Dave Davies on this list is a sin... as much as I respect his impact on R+R, Eric Clapton is overrated IMHO... Breaking News: Joey Ramone was not responsible for the Ramones incredible guitar-crunch... George Harrison, my favorite Beatle, relied to much on that signature "dying cat" sound that is like a whiff of taragon to some (ie: me)

the poll really isn't necessary anyway as EVH is, by far, the greatest guitar god based on body-of-work, innovation, and the way his style impacted everything that came afterward, nothing tops the EVH Frankenstrat "brown sound"... Pete is wayyyy up there, too, but for other reasons

some sleepers that, while certainly not "greatest of all time" warrant a nod of appreciation (personal favorites) Fast Eddie Clarke... Glen Tipton... Rudolf Schenker... Tom Sholz... Eliot Easton (wayyyyyy underappreciated) Gary Moore .... Jon Sykes... Warren DiMartini... George Lynch

Reactions: LionJim
another flawed poll, ala USAToday... Not having Ritchie Blackmore and Dave Davies on this list is a sin... as much as I respect his impact on R+R, Eric Clapton is overrated IMHO... Breaking News: Joey Ramone was not responsible for the Ramones incredible guitar-crunch... George Harrison, my favorite Beatle, relied to much on that signature "dying cat" sound that is like a whiff of taragon to some (ie: me)

the poll really isn't necessary anyway as EVH is, by far, the greatest guitar god based on body-of-work, innovation, and the way his style impacted everything that came afterward, nothing tops the EVH Frankenstrat "brown sound"... Pete is wayyyy up there, too, but for other reasons

some sleepers that, while certainly not "greatest of all time" warrant a nod of appreciation (personal favorites) Fast Eddie Clarke... Glen Tipton... Rudolf Schenker... Tom Sholz... Eliot Easton (wayyyyyy underappreciated) Gary Moore .... Jon Sykes... Warren DiMartini... George Lynch

Ugh. TL;DR. Don't vote or read. Thanks.

I am familiar with the men on the list, although they do not really play my type of music. Still, I will cast a write in vote for Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple. I am a fan, not because of what he was, but because of what he has become. I am a big fan of his folk rock music with Blackmore's Night. His wife, Candice Night, is a great singer and very attractive. If you never heard Blackmore's Night, here is a sample of the group, with Ritchie on guitar and Candice singing.

5ac3bb66dc53fff2f8432fea7b112e6f.jpg

Of course very subjective and personal when it comes to music; probably my favorite guitarist of all time is Adam Jones from Tool, and/or Slash from GnR - but, I just didn't have the room. I actually tried to play to what are the 'consensus' best guitarists and ones that would resonate most with the voters here.
These polls are great. I'd be prone to pontificate on this one though. Have played and been a fan of the guitar - styles across the board for 45 years now. Hendrix, Beck, SRV, Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Paco de Lucia, John McLaughlin, Joe Pass, Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Slash, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, John Williams, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, EVH, John Scofield, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheney, Pat Martino, etc...

Reactions: Victor E. Bell

EVH is a guitar god for sure.

Tommy's a beast, mnpsu. Fantastic entertainer too.
What a decent human being, besides being a one man band. The energy! He plays straight through for two hours and he's the rhythm, bass, melody and lead - sometimes seemingly all at once. Unreal musician. He heard Chet Atkins on the radio once as a child and the rest was history.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Have always been a huge Clapton and Hendrix fan, but I believe the fat man, Leslie West, is under-appreciated.

What a decent human being, besides being a one man band. The energy! He plays straight through for two hours and he's the rhythm, bass, melody and lead - sometimes seemingly all at once. Unreal musician. He heard Chet Atkins on the radio once as a child and the rest was history.

He's constantly practicing too. Always trying to get something better. Guy just has a dedication to his craft that most people me included have no concept. If people don't know him here's a little sample....

He's constantly practicing too. Always trying to get something better. Guy just has a dedication to his craft that most people me included have no concept. If people don't know him here's a little sample....

There are entire concerts on Youtube. One of my favorite clips is a Chinese audience going bonkers during one of his encores.

There are entire concerts on Youtube. One of my favorite clips is a Chinese audience going bonkers during one of his encores.

Funny listening them sing Beatles songs.

Honestly, go to any good guitar store and watch people come in and pick up an ax. There is so much talent out there its unreal. There is a local guy, never wanted to make it big, named Larry Carlton. I have a lot of his stuff and play it all the time. Fantastic player. I also got my lessons from a guy that backed up Alice Cooper...he found religion (as alice did) and got off the road (and other stuff)....unbelievable talent. he, what I call, "speaks" guitar fluently. He can play anything from anybody from just hearing it once. he, like some here, felt that EVH was the best he'd seen.

Funny listening them sing Beatles songs.

Honestly, go to any good guitar store and watch people come in and pick up an ax. There is so much talent out there its unreal. There is a local guy, never wanted to make it big, named Larry Carlton. I have a lot of his stuff and play it all the time. Fantastic player. I also got my lessons from a guy that backed up Alice Cooper...he found religion (as alice did) and got off the road (and other stuff)....unbelievable talent. he, what I call, "speaks" guitar fluently. He can play anything from anybody from just hearing it once. he, like some here, felt that EVH was the best he'd seen.
Larry Carlton - one of the great session players. The vid isn't good, but check out his solo live with Steely Dan here.

Carlos Santana

A really good duo is Shahin & Sepehr (Shahin Shahida and Sepehr Haddad). Two Iranian-Americans.

Last edited:
Reactions: bytir
Larry Carlton - one of the great session players. The vid isn't good, but check out his solo live with Steely Dan here.

I was at a local store when they were having a big sale. I listen to "alone but never alone" in my car and the best song is named "smiles and smiles to go" was playing. Suddenly my, then 10 year old son, says "dad, that's your song. We go upstairs and here's Larry Carlton playing by himself with a little amp. He does, or used to do, a lot of local coffee shop stuff. Great guy to talk to.

Since I can't vote for SRV I'll stick with the Blues genre and go with Clapton. A close second to EVH -- Eruption and his solo on Beat It are iconic.

I wanted to get more modern guys like Morello, Adam Jones, Johnny Greenwood, etc. Simply can't win with these polls.
Don't be discouraged Midnighter. Look at how much discussion these polls generate. I surely appreciate the intent.

I wanted to get more modern guys like Morello, Adam Jones, Johnny Greenwood, etc. Simply can't win with these polls.

Dude..pick you your HSE yet? Ours is not the Sport. My wife absolutely LOVES hers. She was telling me this morning that she was talking to a co-worker who leaned onto the front door and the suspension went down (it does this to let her get in and out of the car more easily). Dude jumped back and exclaimed how cool her "ride" was.

range-rover-hse-1.jpg

Dude..pick you your HSE yet? Ours is not the Sport. My wife absolutely LOVES hers. She was telling me this morning that she was talking to a co-worker who leaned onto the front door and the suspension went down (it does this to let her get in and out of the car more easily). Dude jumped back and exclaimed how cool her "ride" was.

range-rover-hse-1.jpg

Yup; it was delivered a few weeks ago. Absolutely love it (my wife, who is quite petite, loves driving it too). Happy we had the entertainment system factory installed - lifesaver for my one year old who loves it on longer trips. Ours has the lowering mechanism too but my favorite 'add on' is the driver assist mechanism, that senses cars around you when driving and flashes an indicator light on the mirrors when a vehicle is in your blindspot. Here's a pic.

HSE_zps6h2yxwoy.jpg

Why aren't Jimmy Hendrix, Joe Walsh, Dave Mason, Neil Young or Alvin Lee listed?

Or Prince or Stevie Ray Vaughn? Because I was looking for 'rock band' guitarists; not primarily solo acts. You can split hairs with someone like Neil Young, but he's mostly known as a solo act. But, I encourage you to do a poll with solo guitarists.

I think you guys need to go a little harder edge. How about a guy who can take death and mayhem and make beautiful music. This is more on the end of listenability but good technically as well. Kirk Hammett, Metallica.

Kirk_Hammett_by_mehmeturgut.jpg

Yup; it was delivered a few weeks ago. Absolutely love it (my wife, who is quite petite, loves driving it too). Happy we had the entertainment system factory installed - lifesaver for my one year old who loves it on longer trips. Ours has the lowering mechanism too but my favorite 'add on' is the driver assist mechanism, that senses cars around you when driving and flashes an indicator light on the mirrors when a vehicle is in your blindspot. Here's a pic.

HSE_zps6h2yxwoy.jpg

Beautiful! I think ours is Obsidian Black, or something like that. We did not get the entertainment pack as my daughter has a iPad and I get unlimited usage through my company.... Love the driver's assist too, but don't have the blind spot indicator for some reason. Only issue is that we can't figure out how to get all the doors to unlock when done, without having to hit the unlock button.

I think you guys need to go a little harder edge. How about a guy who can take death and mayhem and make beautiful music. This is more on the end of listenability but good technically as well. Kirk Hammett, Metallica.

Kirk_Hammett_by_mehmeturgut.jpg

Could do a 'metal' poll with guys like Randy Rhodes, Kirk Hammett, Adam Jones, Kerry King, etc. Certainly, someone would be pissed about CC DeVille being included....

Beautiful! I think ours is Obsidian Black, or something like that. We did not get the entertainment pack as my daughter has a iPad and I get unlimited usage through my company.... Love the driver's assist too, but don't have the blind spot indicator for some reason. Only issue is that we can't figure out how to get all the doors to unlock when done, without having to hit the unlock button.

The wife only likes black cars. We were bummed that the leather color available on previous models is now only available in the Autobiography edition, but that's a minor complaint. I'm still learning things every day!! One of the coolest things I discovered was that when unlocking at night, a little 'bat signal' shoots down on the ground in front of the door....looks like this:

fOOETFH.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT