ADVERTISEMENT

Sources: Big Ten coaches urge action vs. Michigan in call (link attached)

One of the downsides here aside from Michigan's obvious competitive advantages, is that actions taken against UM this season stand to impact PSU negatively. If UM gets hit with something that makes them weaker, potential wins over them lose value. If they were to go as far as to suspend the whole program (doubtful), PSU doesn't get to play them and loses the only remaining opportunity get back into the division race and boost their playoff resume. Any sort of sanctions that severely hurts UM this season also hurts PSU.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
One of the downsides here aside from Michigan's obvious competitive advantages, is that actions taken against UM this season stand to impact PSU negatively. If UM gets hit with something that makes them weaker, potential wins over them lose value. If they were to go as far as to suspend the whole program (doubtful), PSU doesn't get to play them and loses the only remaining opportunity get back into the division race and boost their playoff resume. Any sort of sanctions that severely hurts UM this season also hurts PSU.
Exactly

I'm okay with that. The truth is important.

But let's be real, regardless...The PSU offense is not great, and that's being kind. PSU isn't winning anything this year, whether that be the East, the B2G, or a natty. By all accounts, OSU is down, and the PSU offense couldn't compete, managing just 2 field goals until a touchdown in the last minute when the game was out of reach.

I'm okay with that. The truth is important.

But let's be real, regardless...The PSU offense is not great, and that's being kind. PSU isn't winning anything this year, whether that be the East, the B2G, or a natty. By all accounts, OSU is down, and the PSU offense couldn't compete, managing just 2 field goals until a touchdown in the last minute when the game was out of reach.
I will gladly trade our small opportunity to sneak into the playoff and get killed by Georgia for a highly embarrassing evisceration of the Michigan program by the conference.

Oh to be on the Gameday panel with Mushmouf. If I was Herbie, I would troll him mercilessly - make him leave the set

Couple things to consider...
1. With expansion, the b2G will rely less on the cache of the Big 2. scUM has been mediocre for 2 decades. The conference no longer NEEDS them, and will need them less as more teams are expansion continues.
2. If the B2G chooses not to sanction scUM, that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't know. Does the scandal affect the coaches/media votes in the polls and the CFP committee's decisions, especially if it's close? RE: a Natty, does the B2G think this is realistic if scUM's success has been aided by cheating and they won't be able to cheat against the likes of UGA?

I could be wrong, but I think the cow is less sacred than it has ever been.

I agree that with the entry of the best PAC-10 teams, especially blueblood glamour-program USC, into our conference, the status of the Big-2 will diminish somewhat and their influence be diluted. This is a good thing. This is a very good thing.

Regarding Michigan's mediocrity, it's only been 18 of the last 20 years. During the most recent two seasons they found their way back to elite status. Oddly, this is the very period that they've been cheating. Pure coincidence no doubt.

As for polls, the only one that counts is the CFP, and the chairman of the committee has already stated that the cheating scandal has not and will not affect their ranking of Michigan.

Basically Michigan is Too Big To Fail. It's clear that the NCAA will slow-walk its investigation into 2024. And personally, I can't imagine the league taking action of its own before then. Too many people in high places have too much to lose if the Wolves are penalized this year...or maybe any year.

On the bright side, this will mean that a win by us on November 11 would still mean a lot. And we can hope that Michigan is going to be distracted to say the least as they enter our stadium that day.

Reactions: Waltwam
I agree that with the entry of the best PAC-10 teams, especially blueblood glamour-program USC, into our conference, the status of the Big-2 will diminish somewhat and their influence be diluted. This is a good thing. This is a very good thing.

Regarding Michigan's mediocrity, it's only been 18 of the last 20 years. During the most recent two seasons they found their way back to elite status. Oddly, this is the very period that they've been cheating. Pure coincidence no doubt.

As for polls, the only one that counts is the CFP, and the chairman of the committee has already stated that the cheating scandal has not and will not affect their ranking of Michigan.

Basically Michigan is Too Big To Fail. It's clear that the NCAA will slow-walk its investigation into 2024. And personally, I can't imagine the league taking action of its own before then. Too many people in high places have too much to lose if the Wolves are penalized this year...or maybe any year.

On the bright side, this will mean that a win by us on November 11 would still mean a lot. And we can hope that Michigan is going to be distracted to say the least as they enter our stadium that day.
We have another chance at this: Last year The Bucks came to our valley and all the rich trust fund kids and the blue hairs and the casual fans made the Beaver into a relatively easy place to play...then blamed it on "well fox forced us to play at noon".

Time to man the f up this year and I don't even care if we lose to Maryland...no excuses this time. Noon or schmoon

I fully acknowledge this is a possibility, but I also acknowledge that the CFP decisions are a month away and this thing is just beginning. A lot can happen in the media and court of public opinion. If the entire sports world thinks scUM is a cheater, and their involvement taints CFB, you'll see ES(EC)PN and the rest of the media begin the mental gymnastics required to justify their exclusion. If the case can be made that scUM taints the pool, the CFP committee will have to exclude them to avoid harming the playoff itself.

Regarding the B2G taking action, the news today that the rest of the B2G schools are heated and demanding action, we'll see how adamant the 13 other schools are, and how willing the B2G Commissioner is to ignore them.

If this weren't one of the conference's two Sacred Cows, we all know what would be happening by now.

So now the league has to choose between two uncomfortable options: A) maintain the current see-no-evil posture in the interest of getting possibly two playoff spots and a potential national championship which will be obviously tainted to the point of scandalous; or B) do the right thing, swallow the bitter medicine, and sanction Michigan in the interests of the integrity of the conference and college football.

I'm still betting on (A), but the pressure seems to be building for (B). One thing for sure, the conference won't do the right thing unless basically forced to do so.
Nothing will be done this year. The NCAA hasn’t even notified the school of anything and when/if they do, the school has 90 days to respond….the season will be long over by the time anything happens or doesn’t happen.

Nothing will be done this year. The NCAA hasn’t even notified the school of anything and when/if they do, the school has 90 days to respond….the season will be long over by the time anything happens or doesn’t happen.
Not so fast my friend...

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
Michigan Fires Staff Member After 'Disturbing' Video Emerges https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...isturbing-video-emerges-underage-solicitation via @athlonsports

Holy crap! Michigan has gone rogue. Long way to fall for what was once one of the sport's historically great programs priding itself on on-field excellence and off-field integrity.

Oh well, it would appear the people in charge there think sacrificing the school's reputation and honor was a price worth paying in order to (maybe) win a national championship.

They're in it up to their necks now and are no doubt panicking in the realization that they have nothing to lose by lying and stonewalling. In fact, that's their only chance. And who's to say it won't yet work.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Holy crap! Michigan has gone rogue. Long way to fall for what was once one of the sport's historically great programs priding itself on on-field excellence and off-field integrity.

Oh well, it would appear the people in charge there think sacrificing the school's reputation and honor was a price worth paying in order to (maybe) win a national championship.

They're in it up to their necks now and are no doubt panicking in the realization that they have nothing to lose by lying and stonewalling. In fact, that's their only chance. And who's to say it won't yet work.
sHuT tHeM dOwN!!!!!

Isn’t that the precedent from our conference chums?

Reactions: psu00 and GSPMax
What we are hearing is a 2 game suspension of Harbaugh and both of his coordinators, starting Monday.

Based upon what?
If Michigan supplied their players with hookers and drugs for free, and paid other teams’ players to throw games, they wouldn’t get the death penalty. The phrase “too big to fail” definitely applies to them.

Nothing is going to happen during the season IMHO. I do expect penalties in the off season though.

The one slight thing I think could happen for 2023 is perhaps making Michigan ineligible for the Big Ten championship. But I still think that’s very unlikely

Reactions: LandoComando
Nothing is going to happen during the season IMHO. I do expect penalties in the off season though.

The one slight thing I think could happen for 2023 is perhaps making Michigan ineligible for the Big Ten championship. But I still think that’s very unlikely
If they're 12-0 could that be done to assure them a playoff bid and help Ohio State get a second one? :)

Puts them in the title game and makes them a 12-1 conference champ likely giving the Big Ten 2 teams.

They put em in last year at 11-1 no conference championship.

How would CFP feel about Michigan being disqualified for the CCG?

The Big 10 taking issue could lead to them taking issue. They've made it known that until somebody else takes action, they are just going to rate the football played.

They put em in last year at 11-1 no conference championship.

How would CFP feel about Michigan being disqualified for the CCG?

The Big 10 taking issue could lead to them taking issue. They've made it known that until somebody else takes action, they are just going to rate the football played.
How isn't it a conference championship? Ohio State would be 11-1 and playing some horrible west team to the technical title. Maybe there's an asterisk by it but still officially a title. Ohio State is also currently #1 and may be heading into that Michigan game so it's possible they're still top 4 even with a loss there.
Not sure what the committee would do with Michigan but at 12-0 they probably still get in. Not playing in that game only prevents them for being 13-0 in that scenario.
And if the Big Ten action doesn't ban them from a bowl game then does that impact the committee?
All good questions but I think it benefits Ohio State for sure and wouldn't hurt Michigan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT