ADVERTISEMENT

Sources: Big Ten coaches urge action vs. Michigan in call (link attached)

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Here is a hotlink:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-action-michigan-sign-stealing-emotional-call

Some are attempting to minimize this as just "sign stealing" - what scUM did is far beyond simple "sign stealing" as the coaches' comments reflect. scUM used a complex, and patently illegal, espionage scheme to decipher formations and essentially "the playbook" of opponents that matched to in-game sideline signals. Essentially, they used patently illegal means to steal their opponents proprietary playbooks - something that was illegal even when the only playbooks that existed were actual physical playbooks.

This is a huge deal as this quote from the article reflects:

"I don't think the Big Ten understood how upset everyone was," said another source. "The tenor of the call was asking the Big Ten to show leadership -- the conference and the presidents. An unprecedented violation of the rules would require unprecedented action from the Big Ten."

Here is a hotlink:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-action-michigan-sign-stealing-emotional-call

Some are attempting to minimize this as just "sign stealing" - what scUM did is far beyond simple "sign stealing" as the coaches' comments reflect. scUM used a complex, and patently illegal, espionage scheme to decipher formations and essentially "the playbook" of opponents that matched to in-game sideline signals. Essentially, they used patently illegal means to steal their opponents proprietary playbooks - something that was illegal even when the only playbooks that existed were actual physical playbooks.

Unprecedented....kinda like what they did to us?

Hopefully so. Harbaughs rise and Stalions employment track. Yeah there have been great players...but UM always has great players.

Is knowing what the other team is doing before the play Jimmah's "Secret Sauce?"

This should be more fun than a sleepover!

Truth. It is hard to escape....

Unprecedented....kinda like what they did to us?

Hopefully so. Harbaughs rise and Stalions employment track. Yeah there have been great players...but UM always has great players.

Is knowing what the other team is doing before the play Jimmah's "Secret Sauce?"

This should be more fun than a sleepover!

Truth. It is hard to escape....
2/3 year playoff ban. Schollie reduction and record fine. Coaches suspended/terminated.

Here is a hotlink:

This is a

Unprecedented action required. They will move the noon kickoff of the OSU game to 7:30 so not as many people can see its broadcast.
huge deal as this quote from the article re

Here is a hotlink:

If this weren't one of the conference's two Sacred Cows, we all know what would be happening by now.

So now the league has to choose between two uncomfortable options: A) maintain the current see-no-evil posture in the interest of getting possibly two playoff spots and a potential national championship which will be obviously tainted to the point of scandalous; or B) do the right thing, swallow the bitter medicine, and sanction Michigan in the interests of the integrity of the conference and college football.

I'm still betting on (A), but the pressure seems to be building for (B). One thing for sure, the conference won't do the right thing unless basically forced to do so.

It would be interesting if they acted now. I would think they would have to complete an investigation and present it to a school first and give the school a chance to respond but who knows.

Yes I understand there are many news stories talking about what all took place but that isn’t an actual investigation. Also I am not defending any of the actions for those that
will jump right to that.

Reactions: lazydave841
They (B1G) will do what they can to ensure an OSU win and undefeated season so that the talk subsides. Probably create and push a different scandal in an effort to divert attention from this. With expansion and M not in title hunt it will go away without heavy penalties. Just my guess.

They (B1G) will do what they can to ensure an OSU win and undefeated season so that the talk subsides. Probably create and push a different scandal in an effort to divert attention from this. With expansion and M not in title hunt it will go away without heavy penalties. Just my guess.
I’ve heard rumors that the league is in deep discussions with John O’Neill to come back for a cameo game.

So maybe the BIG will allow us a few extra seconds on the play clock in critical situations. And toe stepping on the sidelines will be fine for us now. Maybe UM will have holding called against them. The refs will tell JJ that he's lucky to be playing. We'll see how this goes.

So maybe the BIG will allow us a few extra seconds on the play clock in critical situations. And toe stepping on the sidelines will be fine for us now. Maybe UM will have holding called against them. The refs will tell JJ that he's lucky to be playing. We'll see how this goes.
Maybe they will not penalize us because the QB cannot hear the signals.o_O

Here is what will happen. IF we beat Michigan, they will then cancel the rest of the season for Michigan so they can't beat Ohio State. That way there is no three way tie that we could win. If we lose, they will somehow try to cripple them a little.

“Overall, Stalions has purchased tickets to more than 35 games in at least 17 stadiums over the last three years, ESPN reported”

I’m not sure if this is just coincidence or not. But 3 years ago and prior Michigan pretty much stunk by their historical standards. Lots of disappointing seasons. Then all of a sudden they were Michigan again.

Ha, i thought the same. But seriously, if they are not willing to take action prior to the completion of the investigation the conference needs PSU and OSU to beat UM. The appearance of UM in a playoff game is a black eye for the conference.

Reactions: 81b&w and blmr31
“Overall, Stalions has purchased tickets to more than 35 games in at least 17 stadiums over the last three years, ESPN reported”

I’m not sure if this is just coincidence or not. But 3 years ago and prior Michigan pretty much stunk by their historical standards. Lots of disappointing seasons. Then all of a sudden they were Michigan again.
I can be sold on UM offense improving because OL and Corum/Edwards combo are very good. I do believe the biggest BS in on the defensive side of ball. They could not have improved to that level without some serious cheating. They lost alot of NFL talent over two years. That is the crime IMHO.

Reactions: blmr31
It would be interesting if they acted now. I would think they would have to complete an investigation and present it to a school first and give the school a chance to respond but who knows.

Yes I understand there are many news stories talking about what all took place but that isn’t an actual investigation. Also I am not defending any of the actions for those that
will jump right to that.

My thing is this: if the evidence exists and supports that rules were broken and an advantage was gained, shut the Michigan season down and don't allow any more damage.

If the evidence isn't there, go about business as usual.

If this has been months in the making, somebody has enough information to make this call. You don't have to go any further until the investigation is complete, but it would be ridiculous to let them keep playing if the evidence is true and damning.

I can be sold on UM offense improving because OL and Corum/Edwards combo are very good. I do believe the biggest BS in on the defensive side of ball. They could not have improved to that level without some serious cheating. They lost alot of NFL talent over two years. That is the crime IMHO.
Maybe it's just me but it seems like everyone knows the PSU signs. Last week, it seemed like IU was in the perfect defense every play. Same with OSU. Every time we had a TE or RB leak out into the flat they were covered like a glove. Maybe we just need a new play caller.

Reactions: ram2020
Last week, it seemed like IU was in the perfect defense every play.
Offense too. Was it mentioned in the game thread? I recall they ran on a 3rd and 6 and picked it up like cash money on the street. Couldn't believe it.

Reactions: wilbury
Sounds like we are going to lose more bowl money

2/3 year playoff ban. Schollie reduction and record fine. Coaches suspended/terminated.
At minimum I'd like to see the rest of the Big 10 schools temporarily be allotted some additional practice time to enable them to spend more time on changing up signals. I don't know how often this is normally done, from reading between the lines it sounds like maybe once a year unless they suspect a signal has been stolen, then they will change that particular one but not the whole playbook. Maybe I'm off with those assumptions though. But one of the competitive advantages here, beyond the obvious one of UM knowing plays in advance, is opposing teams now also have to spend more time on changing up all signals before they play UM, taking away time from normal coaching and game planning. This is something the NCAA could rectify quickly without even punishing UM, while they continue their investigation.

If this weren't one of the conference's two Sacred Cows, we all know what would be happening by now.

So now the league has to choose between two uncomfortable options: A) maintain the current see-no-evil posture in the interest of getting possibly two playoff spots and a potential national championship which will be obviously tainted to the point of scandalous; or B) do the right thing, swallow the bitter medicine, and sanction Michigan in the interests of the integrity of the conference and college football.

I'm still betting on (A), but the pressure seems to be building for (B). One thing for sure, the conference won't do the right thing unless basically forced to do so.

Couple things to consider...
1. With expansion, the b2G will rely less on the cache of the Big 2. scUM has been mediocre for 2 decades. The conference no longer NEEDS them, and will need them less as more teams are expansion continues.
2. If the B2G chooses not to sanction scUM, that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't know. Does the scandal affect the coaches/media votes in the polls and the CFP committee's decisions, especially if it's close? RE: a Natty, does the B2G think this is realistic if scUM's success has been aided by cheating and they won't be able to cheat against the likes of UGA?

I could be wrong, but I think the cow is less sacred than it has ever been.

1. With expansion, the b2G will rely less on the cache of the Big 2. scUM has been mediocre for 2 decades. The conference no longer NEEDS them, and will need them less as more teams are expansion continues.
2. If the B2G chooses not to sanction scUM, that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't know. Does the scandal affect the coaches/media votes in the polls and the CFP committee's decisions, especially if it's close? RE: a Natty, does the B2G think this is realistic if scUM's success has been aided by cheating and they won't be able to cheat against the likes of UGA?

They still need Michigan. And Ohio State. And us.
Even adding the 4 schools from the Pac XII who do you think FOX, CBS and NBC want to televise the most often?

They still need Michigan. And Ohio State. And us.
Even adding the 4 schools from the Pac XII who do you think FOX, CBS and NBC want to televise the most often?
need is different than NEED. I'll say that the 2 sacred cows are no longer sacred.

Yeah I don't see that but maybe. They're still the biggest brands along with maybe USC.
Current marquee programs - OSU, scUM, with eastern interloper PSU.
2024 marquee programs - OSU, scUM, PSU, USC, Oregon, Washington.

the NEED for scUM is no longer sacred

Interesting take, thanks.

Disagree but we'll see.
B10 network/ESPN/ABC survived the "down" years that occurred between 2008-2017 (a few 10 win seasons but 7 seasons of 8 or fewer wins). I think Fox/CBS/NBC would survive a penalized Mich once the west coast continent joins.

At minimum I'd like to see the rest of the Big 10 schools temporarily be allotted some additional practice time to enable them to spend more time on changing up signals. I don't know how often this is normally done, from reading between the lines it sounds like maybe once a year unless they suspect a signal has been stolen, then they will change that particular one but not the whole playbook. Maybe I'm off with those assumptions though. But one of the competitive advantages here, beyond the obvious one of UM knowing plays in advance, is opposing teams now also have to spend more time on changing up all signals before they play UM, taking away time from normal coaching and game planning. This is something the NCAA could rectify quickly without even punishing UM, while they continue their investigation.
Teams change and disguise their signs way more often than you think they do.

B10 network/ESPN/ABC survived the "down" years that occurred between 2008-2017 (a few 10 win seasons but 7 seasons of 8 or fewer wins). I think Fox/CBS/NBC would survive a penalized Mich once the west coast continent joins.
Survive? Of course
Be happy???

Lando is a Michigan troll. The entire board knows this, where you been dude?

No he's not Art, Art is like 80 years old and has been a straight a$$hole since the plot it days 25 years ago.
Lol still not a Michigan fan. Pretty soon you'll say Pitt

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT