ADVERTISEMENT

Some questions about attending next weeks game (PSU/IA)

That does happen - they’ve thrown racial remarks at opposing wrestlers inside Carver as well.
Are there racist people in Pennsylvania? Those pathetic people do not represent the entire Iowa fanbase. A few people say something stupid then suddenly thousands of fans are grouped in with them. That's not how life works.

Are there racist people in Pennsylvania? Those pathetic people do not represent the entire Iowa fanbase. A few people say something stupid then suddenly thousands of fans are grouped in with them. That's not how life works.
Except that I’ve didn’t say all fans. In fact in context with my previous comment, I said for the most part I agreed with you. Now you want to scold me?

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Except that I’ve didn’t say all fans. In fact in context with my previous comment, I said for the most part I agreed with you. Now you want to scold me?
I'm not scolding anyone here. Just clarifying. By "They" you meant someone was accused of saying something racist to a Penn State athlete in Iowa correct? Was it more than one? 3?

I'm not scolding anyone here. Just clarifying. By "They" you meant someone was accused of saying something racist to a Penn State athlete in Iowa correct? Was it more than one? 3?
Blah, blah, blah - now you are just commenting to argue.

Blah, blah, blah - now you are just commenting to argue.
It's a message board with people that have differing view points and opinions. It's ok to ask questions and clarify if one is respectful.

Wild Turk, are you sitting in the Iowa section or on your own? Get to campus early as in late morning or even mid morning and stroll around. Go get some ice cream at the creamery. If you are not tailgating on your own then you can stroll up to one of the tailgate parties and strike up a friendly conversation. Personally, I would target an over 50 crowd that looks friendly.

Don't hang around too much the South end zone area, this is where all the students enter and they will be obnoxious and probably drunk as game time nears. If you are sitting with other Iowa fans you will be in the north end zone area upper deck so opposite from the students. Hope you have a great time but not too great as I hope PSU wins!!

Wild Turk, are you sitting in the Iowa section or on your own? Get to campus early as in late morning or even mid morning and stroll around. Go get some ice cream at the creamery. If you are not tailgating on your own then you can stroll up to one of the tailgate parties and strike up a friendly conversation. Personally, I would target an over 50 crowd that looks friendly.

Don't hang around too much the South end zone area, this is where all the students enter and they will be obnoxious and probably drunk as game time nears. If you are sitting with other Iowa fans you will be in the north end zone area upper deck so opposite from the students. Hope you have a great time but not too great as I hope PSU wins!!
Don’t think WildTurk is actually going to the game (I could very well be wrong). He was in this thread to protect Iowa’s reputation.

The wife and I are heading to the game, on our flight as I type this. Really looking forward to the experience. We’ve always had good experiences at bowl games and with opposing fans. We wear our team colors and cheer them on, but we keep it respectful.

The wife and I are heading to the game, on our flight as I type this. Really looking forward to the experience. We’ve always had good experiences at bowl games and with opposing fans. We wear our team colors and cheer them on, but we keep it respectful.
Yea, nice gesture by the OP, but wear your colors. Enjoy the weekend.

Reactions: hawkeyes27
And it begins🤣. Wife and I boarded the small flight from Philly to State College (wearing our Hawkeye gear) and were promptly booed by the whole plane!! All in good fun, and they all represented your fan base well. Good humored ribbing and some tips on things to do

107000 fans, with a smattering here and there of black and yellow —- I’ve watched a lot of whiteouts on tv and visiting fans wearing their colors never even make a dent. My wife and I are attending tomorrow. We both want to see what a whiteout looks like in person. We will both be wearing our school colors, but we will do so because we are Hawkeye fans, NOT because we want to (or mistakenly believe somehow) that by doing so we could even come close to ruining the whiteout.

Iowa does plenty of color schemes at our home games and I NEVER take offense at visiting fans wearing their own school colors. I would hope others see it the same way. For the most part from my own experience, fans that travel tend to be a much better group than the loudmouths you see on sites like the Hawkeye boards….. I hope anyway. Either way, I am really looking forward to the game tomorrow and really hope to meet some good people from Penn State.

107000 fans, with a smattering here and there of black and yellow —- I’ve watched a lot of whiteouts on tv and visiting fans wearing their colors never even make a dent. My wife and I are attending tomorrow. We both want to see what a whiteout looks like in person. We will both be wearing our school colors, but we will do so because we are Hawkeye fans, NOT because we want to (or mistakenly believe somehow) that by doing so we could even come close to ruining the whiteout.

Iowa does plenty of color schemes at our home games and I NEVER take offense at visiting fans wearing their own school colors. I would hope others see it the same way. For the most part from my own experience, fans that travel tend to be a much better group than the loudmouths you see on sites like the Hawkeye boards….. I hope anyway. Either way, I am really looking forward to the game tomorrow and really hope to meet some good people from Penn State.
Enjoy your trip and grab some rain gear tonight if you didn’t bring any. Hopefully the rain doesn’t mess up the white out too much. ;)

805k7y.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who still resents Iowa’s treatment of our players last year. And while I understand it’s a minority of fans overall, Iowa boasts the greatest ratio of misinformed, low-brow, vile posters still spewing garbage about the Sandusky situation. It’s made our role in relegating them to perpetual also-ran status in wrestling all the more satisfying.
I didn’t have a problem with the fans; every fan base has low class fans. My problem was with Ferentz saying after the game that the fans “smelled a rat” and the Iowa assistant coach falling down after a PSU player went down. That’s beyond classless

I didn’t have a problem with the fans; every fan base has low class fans. My problem was with Ferentz saying after the game that the fans “smelled a rat” and the Iowa assistant coach falling down after a PSU player went down. That’s beyond classless
After last nights game, and seeing the years of offensive ineptitude by Iowa, they want us to really, really believe we faked injuries to slow them down. Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Hey all, congrats on the win. Hopefully this embarrassing showing on a national stage is enough to make the powers that be finally do something about the cancer that has become the Ferentz family’s hold on the program. Kirk has taken the program to new levels, but his loyalties to his son despite the obvious are taking the whole program down.

Either way, wanted to express my thanks to all of you. State College and the surrounding area is beautiful. Every person we interacted with was great and represented your university incredibly well. PSU has perfected how to put on a show, m wife and I had a blast. We ended up sitting on the 50 yard line, about 20 or so rows up on the press box side (no idea how my wife scored such prime seats). People around us were awesome and very eager to share stories and experiences. We will never forget that experience. Class acts all the way around. We were both talking today and agreed that while we will never stop being Hawkeye-first, we will be hard pressed not to root for the Nittany Lions whenever they aren’t playing the Hawks (well, except for Cael and wrestling— still hard to swallow that one)😖

Thanks again everybody, and good luck the rest of the way — we will be pulling for you

Hey all, congrats on the win. Hopefully this embarrassing showing on a national stage is enough to make the powers that be finally do something about the cancer that has become the Ferentz family’s hold on the program. Kirk has taken the program to new levels, but his loyalties to his son despite the obvious are taking the whole program down.

Either way, wanted to express my thanks to all of you. State College and the surrounding area is beautiful. Every person we interacted with was great and represented your university incredibly well. PSU has perfected how to put on a show, m wife and I had a blast. We ended up sitting on the 50 yard line, about 20 or so rows up on the press box side (no idea how my wife scored such prime seats). People around us were awesome and very eager to share stories and experiences. We will never forget that experience. Class acts all the way around. We were both talking today and agreed that while we will never stop being Hawkeye-first, we will be hard pressed not to root for the Nittany Lions whenever they aren’t playing the Hawks (well, except for Cael and wrestling— still hard to swallow that one)😖

Thanks again everybody, and good luck the rest of the way — we will be pulling for you
Glad you enjoyed it!

Also glad you got to be there when Penn State honored its 2023 NCAA Championship Wrestling Team. :)

Yes, I'm an Iowa fan and I just want to state that I'm super excited to participate in what I consider the best atmosphere in college football next week! I've heard it's a great time at Happy Valley from other Iowa fans who've gone. This is absolutely a bucket list item for me, so, yeah, pretty stoked about it.

I'm curious about attire as I, amongst four others, are Iowa fans but we're planning on wearing white Iowa t's so as not to detract from the scene on TV. Probably a silly question but is this the correct thing to do or is that weird? I just don't want to be disrespectful is all and I don't know PSU fans expectations for Whiteouts from away fans.

Secondly, what should we be purchasing in terms of a lot for tailgating? Would we just find a spot to get in and pay there or are lots the only viable option?

Lastly, what is the time frame for arrival or how long should we plan to leave beforehand if we're an hour outside of State College to begin? I'm hoping to be properly drunk and was hoping to get about 4 hrs. of tailgating in at least.

Anyway, appreciate any help you all would be willing to give.

Yes, I'm an Iowa fan and I just want to state that I'm super excited to participate in what I consider the best atmosphere in college football next week! I've heard it's a great time at Happy Valley from other Iowa fans who've gone. This is absolutely a bucket list item for me, so, yeah, pretty stoked about it.

I'm curious about attire as I, amongst four others, are Iowa fans but we're planning on wearing white Iowa t's so as not to detract from the scene on TV. Probably a silly question but is this the correct thing to do or is that weird? I just don't want to be disrespectful is all and I don't know PSU fans expectations for Whiteouts from away fans.

Secondly, what should we be purchasing in terms of a lot for tailgating? Would we just find a spot to get in and pay there or are lots the only viable option?

Lastly, what is the time frame for arrival or how long should we plan to leave beforehand if we're an hour outside of State College to begin? I'm hoping to be properly drunk and was hoping to get about 4 hrs. of tailgating in at least.

Anyway, appreciate any help you all would be willing to give.
Let us know if you were treated OK, and your overall experience that weekend. Thanks.

Glad you both had a good time despite the weather. It’s always fun to visit other universities to see the traditions and their football weekend events. We try to get to 1 or 2 new places each year. It’s also interesting to hear opinions of visiting fans on Beaver stadium, (that we sort of take for granted).

Good luck the rest of the way and feel free to drop by here throughout the year. For Hawkeye fans, you and AEG82 were at least tolerable. ;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT