ADVERTISEMENT

Some questions about attending next weeks game (PSU/IA)

AEG82

Dec 15, 2022
Yes, I'm an Iowa fan and I just want to state that I'm super excited to participate in what I consider the best atmosphere in college football next week! I've heard it's a great time at Happy Valley from other Iowa fans who've gone. This is absolutely a bucket list item for me, so, yeah, pretty stoked about it.

I'm curious about attire as I, amongst four others, are Iowa fans but we're planning on wearing white Iowa t's so as not to detract from the scene on TV. Probably a silly question but is this the correct thing to do or is that weird? I just don't want to be disrespectful is all and I don't know PSU fans expectations for Whiteouts from away fans.

Secondly, what should we be purchasing in terms of a lot for tailgating? Would we just find a spot to get in and pay there or are lots the only viable option?

Lastly, what is the time frame for arrival or how long should we plan to leave beforehand if we're an hour outside of State College to begin? I'm hoping to be properly drunk and was hoping to get about 4 hrs. of tailgating in at least.

Anyway, appreciate any help you all would be willing to give.

Yes, I'm an Iowa fan and I just want to state that I'm super excited to participate in what I consider the best atmosphere in college football next week! I've heard it's a great time at Happy Valley from other Iowa fans who've gone. This is absolutely a bucket list item for me, so, yeah, pretty stoked about it.

I'm curious about attire as I, amongst four others, are Iowa fans but we're planning on wearing white Iowa t's so as not to detract from the scene on TV. Probably a silly question but is this the correct thing to do or is that weird? I just don't want to be disrespectful is all and I don't know PSU fans expectations for Whiteouts from away fans.

Secondly, what should we be purchasing in terms of a lot for tailgating? Would we just find a spot to get in and pay there or are lots the only viable option?

Lastly, what is the time frame for arrival or how long should we plan to leave beforehand if we're an hour outside of State College to begin? I'm hoping to be properly drunk and was hoping to get about 4 hrs. of tailgating in at least.

Our fans are going to brutal to Iowa fans bc of the way your fans treated our players last meeting. I'd wear a white PSU t-shirt if I were you and root for PSU.

Alrighty, well, that doesn't bode well for us lol. It can't be any worse than Arizona fans treatment of us I'd imagine so we'll make do the best we can I guess.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
To actually answer your questions:
1) I think white Iowa gear would be cool and received as a sign of respect.
2) If you want to tailgate you’ll need to purchase parking. Your best bet would be getting a pass from one of the many scalpers outside the stadium as there is limited parking passes available for purchase as you enter the lots and you’ll be way out from the stadium.
3) The easier you arrive the better, especially if you need parking. I would plan on being there around noon, so leave around 11:00.

I think you’ll find most fans friendly and welcoming though I know as another poster pointed out there are a lot of folks that have not forgotten Ferentz’ inappropriate comments about our DT that suffered a season ending injury in our last meeting faking the injury. So I expect people to be pretty charged up.

Hope that helps.

If you don't have a parking pass purchase one on the way in as it will save you a couple of bucks. There will be "vendors" selling them downtown and along the roads in.

If you wear white Iowa attire you will be appreciated by PSU fans for the gesture.

If PSU is on your bucket list my advice is to get to State College as early as you can (after a good night's sleep) and then walk around town, stop in a couple bars as well as some shops, then make your way up to the game in mid afternoon to enjoy the tailgating and all that goes on around the stadium.

Even with the less than civil way Iowa tends to treat PSU out there I expect you will be treated very well as long as you're respectful.

Have fun!

Alrighty, well, that doesn't bode well for us lol. It can't be any worse than Arizona fans treatment of us I'd imagine so we'll make do the best we can I guess.
Wear your Iowa colors. Wearing white Iowa gear would be seen as respectful but most visiting fans don’t do that. With all respect it won’t matter on tv. The yellow mostly blends into the white on tv overhead shots and the black will be seen as navy blue.

The parking fees are outrageous this year if you show up on game day without a pass. I’d try to get one before you leave or from a scalper on game day. They are for specific lots and there are certain one way travel patterns to take to get to your lot. Otherwise, you can park at a few places around town and take the shuttle in instead of parking in the grass fields around the stadium.

Generally, PSU fans are very hospitable to visitors, (minus the occasional drunk students). There is some bad blood with Iowa in general but I wouldn’t worry about it as an Iowa fan unless you’re acting like an a$$- then someone might say something.

Enjoy your trip to Pennsylvania, (minus the outcome of the game ;)).

Last edited:
Try to get a parking pass ahead of time.

White iowa gear will be fine.

You should not have any problems. It is not like an eagles game.

Reactions: AEG82
I've read the last three posters responses, exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciation. I remember the incident well and the comments after it. I understand the sentiment.

I don't anticipate us winning this game but it'll be fun for me regardless. Again, thank you for the help as I'm relieved I'll be able to tailgate and blend in rather than stick out if it was inappropriate. We'll be wearing white and I absolutely won't starting anything.

I just hope McNamara makes it out of the game healthy. We obviously can't replace him as everyone in the nation is aware of our offensive ineptitude.

Here's to a good injury free game. My favorite opponent to play when we do. Always a good game regardless of any disparity it seems.

I've read the last three posters responses, exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciation. I remember the incident well and the comments after it. I understand the sentiment.

I don't anticipate us winning this game but it'll be fun for me regardless. Again, thank you for the help as I'm relieved I'll be able to tailgate and blend in rather than stick out if it was inappropriate. We'll be wearing white and I absolutely won't starting anything.

I just hope McNamara makes it out of the game healthy. We obviously can't replace him as everyone in the nation is aware of our offensive ineptitude.

Here's to a good injury free game. My favorite opponent to play when we do. Always a good game regardless of any disparity it seems.
If you’re parking/ tailgating in the grass lots get the parking pass early. Can get it at BJC (basketball arena near the stadium) up to Friday IIRC (going from memory- see the attached link above). If not then try a scalper. Otherwise, if you show up without one they’ll let you in to certain lots if there’s room but it costs like $100 (completely ridiculous).

When tailgating, start up conversations with PSU fans around you. Don’t feel you have to stay with Iowa folks. State College isn’t Columbus. ;) You’ll be offered food and drinks and asked about Iowa’s team/ general game discussion.

As for travel times, it depends where you’re staying and when you leave. It’s a night game so traffic shouldn’t be too bad going as it’ll be spread out over the day. After the game there will be significant delays and you can sit in the grass lots for a long, long time as traffic funnels out. Everyone leaves at the same time and State College is a small town whose roads have trouble dealing with that. Many people will tailgate after the game some to let traffic thin out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Westcoast24
If you are 300lb and run on the field and chop block and leg whip you teams starting DT until he suffers a likely career ending injury and boo him while he is lying on the ground unable to stand up, you will be warmly welcomed like any decent human beings.

As for your low life coaching staff, I don't know, but If they see lots of Lazer spots on their clothes during the game, they should not be surprised but perhaps should quickly head to the locker room and stay there till they get the all clear.

Hope your program gets a lot fewer racists and thugs for coaches soon. That would bode well for true adult Iowa fans.

BTW... I expect you will be treated well no matter but all bets are off after that disgrace debacle at Cornholer field.

• Haha

I think PSU football fans generally treat visiting fans well, but as other posters have said, there’s bad feeling towards Iowa fans with how our injured players (some of whom missed the rest of the season) were treated in IC. I’m actually a little worried about it. I think wearing Iowa white is prob a good idea. A night game after a full day’s tailgate can bring out the worst in people.

I suggest arriving by 1:00 and earlier then that wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m an hour and a half away and plan to arrive by 11:00am at the latest. But I enjoy a day’s worth of tailgating.

You’ll want to head into the stadium at least 1:30 before kickoff unless long lines don’t bother you.

You say you want to have your full drink on. Just be careful; like I said, folks aren’t pleased with Iowa fans.

There are two game-day lots for those that didn’t pre-purchase parking. There will be scalpers too.

Why don’t you post to this thread with what lot you end up in and where. Maybe some of us will say hello if we can, and help you out with some friendliness.

I think PSU football fans generally treat visiting fans well, but as other posters have said, there’s bad feeling towards Iowa fans with how our injured players (some of whom missed the rest of the season) were treated in IC. I’m actually a little worried about it. I think wearing Iowa white is prob a good idea. A night game after a full day’s tailgate can bring out the worst in people.

I suggest arriving by 1:00 and earlier then that wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m an hour and a half away and plan to arrive by 11:00am at the latest. But I enjoy a day’s worth of tailgating.

You’ll want to head into the stadium at least 1:30 before kickoff unless long lines don’t bother you.

You say you want to have your full drink on. Just be careful; like I said, folks aren’t pleased with Iowa fans.

There are two game-day lots for those that didn’t pre-purchase parking. There will be scalpers too.

Why don’t you post to this thread with what lot you end up in and where. Maybe some of us will say hello if we can, and help you out with some friendliness.
Will do! We have one PSU fan with us as well so that should help too lol. If I get into trouble, three of us are veterans of 10+ years each and we'll play that card. I just want to enjoy the game is all, win or lose, and get to experience the best atmosphere in college football.

Will do! We have one PSU fan with us as well so that should help too lol. If I get into trouble, three of us are veterans of 10+ years each and we'll play that card. I just want to enjoy the game is all, win or lose, and get to experience the best atmosphere in college football.
If you would call out your thug coaching staff for the low life's they are then you would be welcomed anywhere and anytime.

It won’t be an issue. What’s ‘hot topic’ discussion on football boards doesn’t always translate to the wider fan base. The white outs are more of a carnival type atmosphere. Enjoy the game and make sure to stop back here after to report on your trip.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who still resents Iowa’s treatment of our players last year. And while I understand it’s a minority of fans overall, Iowa boasts the greatest ratio of misinformed, low-brow, vile posters still spewing garbage about the Sandusky situation. It’s made our role in relegating them to perpetual also-ran status in wrestling all the more satisfying.

Reactions: gogolion
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who still resents Iowa’s treatment of our players last year. And while I understand it’s a minority of fans overall, Iowa boasts the greatest ratio of misinformed, low-brow, vile posters still spewing garbage about the Sandusky situation. It’s made our role in relegating them to perpetual also-ran status in wrestling all the more satisfying.
Some pseudo PSU fans who are do nothing kiss ups think it is just fine for thugs to maime players with leg whips and other tactics ruled out of the sport shortly after leather helmets. Also, it's perfectly fine to boo our players when they can't stand up and it requires surgery for them to walk. It's also fine with these B1G ball licking subservients to not give a shit about some of those players losing an NFL career to common thugs. Those pseudo PSU fans just wanna be part of something bigger and elite and party and be happy all the time. There are those types of self entitled Karen's in all walks of life. Some actually like being that way. All have auto alarms in their cars and are afraid to stand up to anything. Hard to believe but it is true.

• Wow
Let me help. I hope we can treat you the way I’m always treated in Iowa. Football, Wrestling and RAGBRAI.

If you can message me or cryptically get me an email address, I’ll send you my spot number and you don’t need to worry about a tailgate. Just join ours all day.

Let me help. I hope we can treat you the way I’m always treated in Iowa. Football, Wrestling and RAGBRAI.

If you can message me or cryptically get me an email address, I’ll send you my spot number and you don’t need to worry about a tailgate. Just join ours all day.
👄 Job Alert 😘! Beware ⚠️ of kissing 🐮 🔔 Men on their knees! 😂

Wear your Black and Gold and be proud of it! I always do at away games. What are they going to do, beat you up? Remember they are mere mortals aswell. Go Hawks!

Wear your Black and Gold and be proud of it! I always do at away games. What are they going to do, beat you up? Remember they are mere mortals aswell. Go Hawks!
Wildturk 😂 The Four Letter Word Hawkeyes of sued by your own athletes fame have much to be proud of. Yes, we are mere mortals, never claimed to be anything else. However, there is a huge difference between mere mortals and out of control pigs. Not say you or the OP are pigs but we witnessed wide scale degenerate Pig behavior 2 years ago in your stadium fostered by your teams thug coaching staff. Your choice of the words 'They Are Mere Mortals' outs how small you think Four Letter Word U fandom, by in large, has become.

• Wow
Wildturk 😂 The Four Letter Word Hawkeyes of sued by your own athletes fame have much to be proud of. Yes, we are mere mortals, never claimed to be anything else. However, there is a huge difference between mere mortals and out of control pigs. Not say you or the OP are pigs but we witnessed wide scale degenerate Pig behavior 2 years ago in your stadium fostered by your teams thug coaching staff. Your choice of the words 'They Are Mere Mortals' outs how small you think Four Letter Word U fandom, by in large, has become.
You are just a mere mortal. Just like me. I'm not intimidated by your comments on here.

We are just talking about a game that 18-23 year old kids play after all. It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things. How we carry ourselves in our daily lives is much more important to me nowadays.

I know you are just wanting to be aggressive and make sure nobody forgets about the Lions last loss to Iowa, and how it went down in your mind. That's easy to see.

I just hope both teams play a good game and nobody gets injured. Whiteout games are electric there, just like the night games in Kinnick. Very much looking forward to watching my team compete Win or Lose!

It seems I'm in the minority, but I think an Iowa fan wearing white will be seen as uninformed, like they didn't know it was a white out and accidentally wore white gear.

I should just save this post and reuse it before every home game.

Take the CATA bus from the Hills Shopping Center. Parking is free and the bus costs a couple of dollars unless you are a senior and then it is free. You park at the shopping center and take the bus to the stadium. The city blocks off a lane and lets them go straight through. Other than a few planned stops, you are at the stadium in 15 minutes or so.

It starts three hours before kickoff. The last trip back from the stadium to the plaza is one hour after final gun.

The real benefit is a) very low cost b) you get dripped off beyond where the real traffic problems start/end c) streamlined path to and from.

The only real downside is that you can't really linger at the stadium after a game. Now, friends tell me you can uber a couple hours after the game so that is still an option. But for anyone unfamiliar with the complex parking constructs around the stadium, its the only way to go.

It seems I'm in the minority, but I think an Iowa fan wearing white will be seen as uninformed, like they didn't know it was a white out and accidentally wore white gear.
I honestly wouldn't even think about it. I would just assume they like the white Iowa shirt they own.

Reactions: JimNazium
I think most of the other responses have the key points here. Two things I would second:

Wearing white would certainly be respected (most opposing fans do not do this).
Definitely take time to wander around campus/town (i.e. don't just tailgate and go to the game)

There are also some useful tailgate lot rules here:
Some things are probably obvious (no kegs) and some are not (no glass bottles on grass areas)

The only other thing I'd mention for tailgating (and maybe someone else already said it and I missed it) is that the only groups you might have issues with are the current students/recent graduates. Some of the tailgates get very boisterous and I've seen some bad behavior. So I'd steer clear of any groups that look like they are all <25 years old. Everyone else will be friendly (maybe some gentle ribbing or mild profanity, but nothing crazy) especially if you are friendly to start.

Have fun!

So I'd steer clear of any groups that look like they are all <25 years old. Everyone else will be friendly (maybe some gentle ribbing or mild profanity, but nothing crazy) especially if you are friendly to start.
Funny stuff 😀😃😄😁😆, this is the same advice one would expect if going into a really shady area late at night to purchase booze.

As you can see, Penn State fans remember stuff. It wasn't just the Iowa fans booing a Penn State player who blew out his knee. It was Ferentz defending those fans saying he thought they smelled a rat. There wasn't a rat, only a D-tackle in a tremendous amount of pain. The residual anger over that will probably be heard in Beaver Stadium saturday night -- I suspect there will be a lot of booing when Ferentz is introduced.

But to individual Iowa fans I think people will be welcoming and polite and hopefully friendly. There may be some drunk yahoos but most of the PSU fan base is pretty civilized.

I don't get why opposing fans want so badly to attend a "white" out in an attempt to ruin the scene. It doesn't make sense.

• Haha
Who is trying to "ruin the scene"? It's someone wanting to attend a big football game in a great environment. That's great that someone would want to travel to support their team.
Yeah, I would Iike to attend a PSU vs Iowa night game at Kinnick one of these years.

Yeah, I would Iike to attend a PSU vs Iowa night game at Kinnick one of these years.
You won't regret it! Iowa nice is a real thing no matter what the internet tells you.. I agree with staying away from the drunk college kids in general. They tend to look for trouble.

Reactions: Cowbell Man

If you slip and fall during the wet conditions in the parking lots, I will boo you to get up.

Who is trying to "ruin the scene"? It's someone wanting to attend a big football game in a great environment. That's great that someone would want to travel to support their team.
And the fan asked if it’s cool to wear white as an opposing fan so they wouldn’t spoil the whiteout scene. Seems like the fans are asking for legit help.

Hard to imagine why we wouldn’t respond with…..actual help.

You won't regret it! Iowa nice is a real thing no matter what the internet tells you.. I agree with staying away from the drunk college kids in general. They tend to look for trouble.
I’ve been to several and fog the most part I agree with you - pregame. Afterwards, no matter the winner, the Hawkeye Express can be a miserable ride for the visitors.

Iowa nice is calling strangers pedophiles and throwing beer cans at opposing players, got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT