ADVERTISEMENT

3 questions

Conewago

Jul 10, 2017
3 questions

1 I don't have access to the rules at the moment. What's the scoring sequence for stall warnings in college? In NFHS - so high school etc - it is 1st warning no points, 2nd and 3rd 1 point, 4th 2 points, 5th match terminated. Same in college?

2 I see non Penn State fans in YouTube comment sections claiming Penn State is the most stall-happy team. On a scale of 1-10, how happy does this absurdity make you? I'm at a solid 6 out of 10. I really try not to focus on what bitter, jealous people say because our fans, like our wrestlers, should focus on being grateful for what we have but that is just SO hilarious 😂

3 was breaking the all time scoring record in your list of possible accomplishments when Cael took this job? It wasn't in mine. I truly can't believe we did this, boys. What a beautiful day to be a Nittany Lion. Thanks to everyone, including you all, for our community

Reactions: Ja1339
3 questions

1 I don't have access to the rules at the moment. What's the scoring sequence for stall warnings in college? In NFHS - so high school etc - it is 1st warning no points, 2nd and 3rd 1 point, 4th 2 points, 5th match terminated. Same in college?

2 I see non Penn State fans in YouTube comment sections claiming Penn State is the most stall-happy team. On a scale of 1-10, how happy does this absurdity make you? I'm at a solid 6 out of 10. I really try not to focus on what bitter, jealous people say because our fans, like our wrestlers, should focus on being grateful for what we have but that is just SO hilarious 😂

3 was breaking the all time scoring record in your list of possible accomplishments when Cael took this job? It wasn't in mine. I truly can't believe we did this, boys. What a beautiful day to be a Nittany Lion. Thanks to everyone, including you all, for our community
1) Yes

2) 0. Does not affect me at all. Provides some amusement, nothing more.

3) No, was thrilled for the opportunity to win some titles. Nor was it even in the back of my mind when Cael told the alums "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh."

3 questions

34.5 bonus points does not equal stalling.

3 questions

As for the stalling comment. Penn State does stall quite often . When they're up by 9 to 11 points and 20 seconds are left in match 😏

3 questions

The whole stall thing is just sort of hilarious, so i'd have to go somewhere in the 8 range.

Do psu wrestlers stall sometimes? Sure. But there is a very very material difference in the substantive context when it occurs. When psu wrestlers stall, I'd lay dollars to donuts it is generally late in the third period, typically after being the only wrestler to earn a lead from a takedown, or from earning a lead as a result of more takedowns than their opponents.

By contrast, PSU wrestlers routinely face wrestlers who, beginning in periods 1-2, try to 'shorten matches' via 'edge wrestling,' 'maintaining space,' and plain old 'backing up' (just to mention three examples off the top of my head from last night).

Interesting philosophical question whether there 'should' be a contextual difference between the two in terms of the implementation guidance.

Oh, and BTW, sometimes psu wrestlers in fact get called for stalling, but interestingly, that usually happens once.

The whole stall thing is just sort of hilarious, so i'd have to go somewhere in the 8 range.

Do psu wrestlers stall sometimes? Sure. But there is a very very material difference in the substantive context when it occurs. When psu wrestlers stall, I'd lay dollars to donuts it is generally late in the third period, typically after being the only wrestler to earn a lead from a takedown, or from earning a lead as a result of more takedowns than their opponents.

By contrast, PSU wrestlers routinely face wrestlers who, beginning in periods 1-2, try to 'shorten matches' via 'edge wrestling,' 'maintaining space,' and plain old 'backing up' (just to mention three examples off the top of my head from last night).

Interesting philosophical question whether there 'should' be a contextual difference between the two in terms of the implementation guidance.

Oh, and BTW, sometimes psu wrestlers in fact get called for stalling, but interestingly, that usually happens once.
most of the time, when PSU wrestler do stall, it is at the end where the stalling point is non-consequential. it isn't for the whole period...

R. Figs is what stalling in neutral looks like. D Carr is what stalling on top looks like.
If you had D Carr stalling on top during the MM match, I'm not sure. He had what seemed like 6 mat returns in 2+ minutes of RT.

If his plan to stall is to let a guy get to his feet to pick him up and return to the mat that is "artful" stalling. Also, MM thought the score was tied and was going to sudden victory, so he did not press DC at the end.

Last edited:
If you had D Carr stalling on top during the MM match, I'm not sure. He had what seemed like 6 mat returns in 2+ minutes of RT.

If his plan to stall is to let a guy get to his feet to pick him up and return to the mat that is "artful" stalling. Also, MM thought the score ess tied and was going to sudden victory, so he did not press DC at the end.
I don't think Carr was trying to stall like Tony Nelson's blatant Stall Ride of Doom -- i.e., just follow his guy around the mat. But he was not trying to score from top.

That said, the complaints about it are a little unseemly. This wasn't out of Psycho's control -- he gave himself plenty of opportunities to escape. Also, unfortunately, he gave himself too many opportunities to escape.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
You have to be winning to stall late in matches so PSU has way more opportunities. What people don’t realize is that other teams are the ones who stall for 6:30 and then PSU backs off for the last :30 because they’re ahead. People totally overlook the fact that nobody wants to mix it up with Levi, MM, BB, AB, Kerk and Carter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT