ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Recruits at Ironman

Great Tournament & great looking recruits. Here's the entire recruit results for those that don't want to go back to page 1 & look:

Ironman- Full Tournament Recruit Results

126lbs #1 seed Luke Lilledahl
R1- LL TF L.Stewart 17-2
R2- LL FALL J.Torres (2:51)
R3- LL DEC C.Desena 5-3
QF- LL MD #8 P.Matecki 14-4
SF- LL DEC #4 S.Mendoza 9-5 SV1
Finals- #1 LL DEC #2 J.Forrest 2-1

132lbs #4 seed Mason Gibson

R1- M.Gibson TF C.Genua 22-5
R2- M.Gibson DEC M.Allen 7-2
R3- M.Gibson DEC C.Fretwell 4-1
QF- #5 J.Raney DEC M.Gibson 7-5 SV1
Consi1- M.Gibson DEC Hockaday 7-5 SV1
Consi SF- #7 N.Oneill DEC M.Gibson 6-2
7th Place- #4 M.Gibson DEC #9 D.Orine 6-3

157lbs #10 seed Asher Cunningham

R1- A.Cunningham DEC M.Stein 8-2
R2- A.Cunningham MD J.Goldberg 9-0
R3- A.Cunningham FALL #7 E.Enright (3:11)
QF- A.Cunningham FALL #2 A.Evanitsky (4:52)
SF- #6 A.Stewart DEC A.Cunningham 4-3
Consi SF- A.Cunningham DEC #1 P.Ognissanti 5-0
3rd Place- #10 A.Cunningham DEC #9 J.Ginter 4-1

165lbs #2 seed Joe Sealey

R1- J.Sealey FALL B.Beskur (3:08)
R2- J.Sealey FALL S.Murray (4:20)
R3- J.Sealey TF B.Kohler (24-9)
QF- J.Sealey MD #7 A.Rinehart (15-2)
SF- J.Sealey DEC #3 L.Lockett 4-2
Finals- #1 A.Ferrari DEC #2 J.Sealey 2-2 UTB (Ultimate tie breaker rideout)

I’ll take Sealey everyday over Ferrari as a recruit. Angelo is very good but I think Sealey in the PSU room is going to be a monster. His bottom game used to be a big deficiency but he has gotten much better there. His hand fight is elite as is his attack rate. I am so excited to see him and Luke at PSU

Flip the commitments of these two wrestlers and all you guys would be saying is Sealey is the perfect Iowa wrestler since he just pushes, hand fights, and hopes for stalls.

Flip the commitments of these two wrestlers and all you guys would be saying is Sealey is the perfect Iowa wrestler since he just pushes, hand fights, and hopes for stalls.
Go read my history. I’ve loved Sealey since he was a freshman. And if you think he only pushes, handfights, and hopes for stalls you have never watched the kid wrestle. He attacks more than pretty much anyone in high school. I understand your point though. Both fan bases are going to push their guy. That being said…Ferrari is the perfect Iowa wrestler

I’m guessing you haven’t watched him wrestle much

Did we watch the same match? Where was sealeys shot output. He didn’t touch a leg till the end of the 2nd. Sealey is an elite wrestler, with wins over senior level guys, but he had no offense this match.

Reactions: js8793
Ironman is the greatest HS in-season wrestling tournament - ever.

That said, the match that they use for the finals is a travesty. I understand that it's their "thing," and they want that atmosphere, but it's a complete joke to hold a high-level match on a mat of that size further shrunk by allowing fans to sit on the aprons. Tradition is great and all, but when tradition has a negative impact on the wrestling because the speed and ability of the wrestlers have changed, it's time to adapt.

Buy a new fr*ggin mat with a 32' circle and redo the logistics of your finals, it's not that hard. They're making enough money to invest in equipment, trust me I know.

@GableBeer is 100% right that you guys would be making fun of Sealey as the perfect Iowa wrestler because all he does is push. That's not his usual style, but that is how he wrestled in this match. And that makes sense. Angelo ate him up in the scrambles at WNO. Being more selective with his attacks was imperative for him this match.

Angelo had 12 committed attacks by my count and Sealey had 5. Angelo was the only one who got in deep and came close to scoring, and he did so multiple times.

I don't think either one of them should have been warned. I think Sealey's forward pressure was enough to balance the attack discrepancy.

The warning on Angelo was bad. Not only had he out-attacked him in the match, he had out-attacked him in the third period at that point! In fact, in the span of 20 seconds we saw two identical attack sequences from both guys: Angelo attack - nothing Angelo second attack - gets to the leg. 20 seconds later: Sealey attack - nothing Sealey second attack - gets to leg and drives him off and gets the warning. That's bad. Let them wrestle. They're both working to score.

That was an extremely high level match between two elite high school wrestlers. Neither backed down or blinked. We saw great adjustments from Sealey and all the reasons why Angelo is one of the most college ready recruits in the last couple years. Really well wrestled by both guys.

After Iron Man, how's the stock on Mason Gibson? IIRC, he took one of the Rainey brothers to OT.

My biggest problem was that Ferrari kept backing out to the edge and when Sealy would shoot, he would just sprawl out of bounds. Action gets reset at center.

Besides that the 10 pound larger Ferrari and Sealy looked pretty evenly matched. Looking forward to the next round!

@GableBeer is 100% right that you guys would be making fun of Sealey as the perfect Iowa wrestler because all he does is push. That's not his usual style, but that is how he wrestled in this match. And that makes sense. Angelo ate him up in the scrambles at WNO. Being more selective with his attacks was imperative for him this match.

Angelo had 12 committed attacks by my count and Sealey had 5. Angelo was the only one who got in deep and came close to scoring, and he did so multiple times.

I don't think either one of them should have been warned. I think Sealey's forward pressure was enough to balance the attack discrepancy.

The warning on Angelo was bad. Not only had he out-attacked him in the match, he had out-attacked him in the third period at that point! In fact, in the span of 20 seconds we saw two identical attack sequences from both guys: Angelo attack - nothing Angelo second attack - gets to the leg. 20 seconds later: Sealey attack - nothing Sealey second attack - gets to leg and drives him off and gets the warning. That's bad. Let them wrestle. They're both working to score.

That was an extremely high level match between two elite high school wrestlers. Neither backed down or blinked. We saw great adjustments from Sealey and all the reasons why Angelo is one of the most college ready recruits in the last couple years. Really well wrestled by both guys.
I agree except that Ferrari slid to the edge the entire match. Refs are trained to penalize that action if it occurs repeatedly and it did in this match. Ferrari did take more attacks but they all came from his knee and usually as he was backing up to get Sealey pursuing. It was a super high level match between 2 elite high school kids. I’m glad it wasn’t decided on a stall call. Both fan bases can take things away from the match to be happy about. I just love the progress Sealey has made in the past year. He has become a much better all around wrestler and much smarter on the mat as well. Both fan bases should be excited

After Iron Man, how's the stock on Mason Gibson? IIRC, he took one of the Rainey brothers to OT.
Unfortunately, it's nothing too shocking. The honest evaluation is he was an early bloomer and has plateaued. Very glad to have him though and he obviously knows the deal of signing with PSU. Definitely a guy you're happy to have on your team.

I agree except that Ferrari slid to the edge the entire match. Refs are trained to penalize that action if it occurs repeatedly and it did in this match. Ferrari did take more attacks but they all came from his knee and usually as he was backing up to get Sealey pursuing. It was a super high level match between 2 elite high school kids. I’m glad it wasn’t decided on a stall call. Both fan bases can take things away from the match to be happy about. I just love the progress Sealey has made in the past year. He has become a much better all around wrestler and much smarter on the mat as well. Both fan bases should be excited
The children's mat they use is part of the problem. You take 2-3 steps back and you're already on the edge. Ferrari like's to move backwards and disappear with ducks and sweep singles. He also likes to catch guys coming forward and he'll punch an underhook and throw it by right away. Sealey did a really good job of taking that away after the first 30 seconds and it kept Angelo moving backwards.

If Angelo hadn't been attacking all match, I would have no problem with the stall call. He may have been on the edge, but he opened himself up to far more wrestling and risk than Sealey did in that match.

Absolutely agree Sealey is making a lot of progress. I wish Angelo would compete more so he can feel these high level guys often but I don’t think we will see this match again with them likely being different weight classes in their NCAA careers.

Also ... you can't always tell by looking but it's hard to argue Angelo had any size advantage of Sealey. If anything Sealey looked like the thicker one.

Absolutely agree Sealey is making a lot of progress. I wish Angelo would compete more so he can feel these high level guys often but I don’t think we will see this match again with them likely being different weight classes in their NCAA careers.
I'm always skeptical of new posters who come in arguing but you seem like a quality poster (not unlike js8793) even if you plan to be on the other side, welcome to our board.

I feel like we’re all trying to draw some large conclusion other than they’re both very good and both similarly matched right now.
I might be wearing PSU shades but I have a hard time seeing Angelo changing much in college but you know what? His style will work.

I think Sealey has more room to grow.

I feel like we’re all trying to draw some large conclusion other than they’re both very good and both similarly matched right now.
Yea, both are very good and have bright futures. I like Sealey better at the next level especially considering the coaches he’s going to. Will the Brands brothers be able to develop Angelo offensively? I have my doubts.

I might be wearing PSU shades but I have a hard time seeing Angelo changing much in college but you know what? His style will work.

I think Sealey has more room to grow.
Angelo wrestles just like his brothers, solid positioning, elite defense, he does have more offense than them tho so I guess you never know. He always talks about how he wants to put up points in interviews. I just don’t think that’s how the family likes to wrestle though.

Yea, both are very good and have bright futures. I like Sealey better at the next level especially considering the coaches he’s going to. Will the Brands brothers be able to develop Angelo offensively? I have my doubts.
Angelo has a lot of attacks. His defense and scrambling are easily his best abilities but if you watch his tournament he got to legs of guys easily he just couldn’t crack joes defense

Reactions: hlstone
Unfortunately, it's nothing too shocking. The honest evaluation is he was an early bloomer and has plateaued. Very glad to have him though and he obviously knows the deal of signing with PSU. Definitely a guy you're happy to have on your team.
It was his first real competition back after missing the entire past year. He "plateaued"?

Well said all around. Elite high school wrestlers forsure. Future is bright for both of them

Great Tournament & great looking recruits. Here's the entire recruit results for those that don't want to go back to page 1 & look:

Ironman- Full Tournament Recruit Results

126lbs #1 seed Luke Lilledahl
R1- LL TF L.Stewart 17-2
R2- LL FALL J.Torres (2:51)
R3- LL DEC C.Desena 5-3
QF- LL MD #8 P.Matecki 14-4
SF- LL DEC #4 S.Mendoza 9-5 SV1
Finals- #1 LL DEC #2 J.Forrest 2-1

132lbs #4 seed Mason Gibson

R1- M.Gibson TF C.Genua 22-5
R2- M.Gibson DEC M.Allen 7-2
R3- M.Gibson DEC C.Fretwell 4-1
QF- #5 J.Raney DEC M.Gibson 7-5 SV1
Consi1- M.Gibson DEC Hockaday 7-5 SV1
Consi SF- #7 N.Oneill DEC M.Gibson 6-2
7th Place- #4 M.Gibson DEC #9 D.Orine 6-3

157lbs #10 seed Asher Cunningham

R1- A.Cunningham DEC M.Stein 8-2
R2- A.Cunningham MD J.Goldberg 9-0
R3- A.Cunningham FALL #7 E.Enright (3:11)
QF- A.Cunningham FALL #2 A.Evanitsky (4:52)
SF- #6 A.Stewart DEC A.Cunningham 4-3
Consi SF- A.Cunningham DEC #1 P.Ognissanti 5-0
3rd Place- #10 A.Cunningham DEC #9 J.Ginter 4-1

165lbs #2 seed Joe Sealey

R1- J.Sealey FALL B.Beskur (3:08)
R2- J.Sealey FALL S.Murray (4:20)
R3- J.Sealey TF B.Kohler (24-9)
QF- J.Sealey MD #7 A.Rinehart (15-2)
SF- J.Sealey DEC #3 L.Lockett 4-2
Finals- #1 A.Ferrari DEC #2 J.Sealey 2-2 UTB (Ultimate tie breaker rideout)
Thx for the solid PBP and updates!

Props for that post. From someone that did not see the match, knowing it is the perspective of an Iowa fan, I think it shows class and knowledge......Kudos

Reactions: GableBeer
Catching up on more matches and noticing that the nearfall officiating was consistently bad, usually because guys were out of position and/or lazy. Get in position, get down on the mat, and do it quickly. It's not too much to ask.

Also, Cunningham is a moose. He has a Kemerer back. Looked a full weight class bigger than Stewart (fun match).

If two kids go to a 3rd tiebreaker in HS with one going to PSU and one going to Iowa it's hard to believe the Iowa kid would end up being better. Training with a coaching staff who aren't paranoid nutjobs while having vastly superior training partners has got to be worth at least two points going forward. It was only a few years ago that Nick Lee and Starocci both lost decisive matches at B1Gs only to work on strategy with the coaches and come back to win two weeks later. When you factor in that the Ferraris are a dumpster fire it doesn't bode well for the Hawkeyes.

I am sad to see Angela wrestles like AJ getting down on one knee and floating backward to get his opponent to chase then fires a shot. It will always lead to them having a higher shot count but it needs to be a stall warning when you drop to a knee. 3 ford focus plus the arnold kid means the boring style will continue at Iowa. They will win a lot which Iowa fans will love, but it is unwatchable wrestling. I love how the new 125 lb. commit iowa scored wrestles. He doesn't fit with the rest at all. He wrestles more of a PSU style.

I just watched it. Yes - Ferrari took more shots. But he backed up to the edge of the circle and wrestled from there the entire match. Was Sealey supposed to shoot just to go out of bounds? It was basically how Hidlay wrestles AB. Prob smart strategy vs an aggressive wrestler like Sealey, but annoying to watch.

Reactions: hlstone
My take aways:
Both Ferrari and Sealy should have successful college careers. Doubt they will be the same weight, but could be some fun battles if they do. Not sure why Sealy didn't try to get to his feet in OT instead of a reversal.... Luke is really good, but Jax' funky style is very fun to watch. I hope he comes to PSU simply for the entertainment value and crazy scrambles we would get to watch over his career. Asher had a nice showing too. Devino's win against Blaze was a little surprising after Blaze's recent run.

Reactions: Sullivan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT