ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Recruits at Ironman

Lockett beats Henckel 3-1. Beautiful blast double in the first by Lockett for the only td

Reactions: danoftw
That’s a really nice win for Sealey. I love Lockett as a prospect (before OKST [presumably] ruins him)
iu

Reactions: PASLP2
I think Sealey has really jumped a level this past year with most of it coming in his wrestling IQ and handfight. He still has a super high attack rate but against the best guys he is a bit more judicious in his attacks and doesn’t seem to shoot himself out of matches like he’s done in the past. Ferrari’s defense and top game could be Sealeys kryptonite but I expect this match to be much closer than the last. Sealey really needs to get a td early so he doesn’t have to go under if possible. I’m a homer but I absolutely love how Sealey is wrestling and I’m picking him to win a super tight bout.

Last Round:

Finals:
126lbs- #1 LL vs. #2 J.Forrest
165lbs- #2 J.Sealey vs. #1 A.Ferrari

3rd:
157lbs- #10 A.Cunningham vs. #9 J.Ginter

7th:
132lbs- #4 M.Gibson vs. #9 D.Orine

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
Any wrestling fan has to love those two finals matches. Which others are you watching for good competition?
The 132lb match should be incredible. Ben Davino vs Marcus Blaze. Blaze is the kid who beat Ramos at the college open a few weeks ago while Davino is ranked number 1 and headed to Ohio State next year. Both are U17 world team members as well

If he is, it's only because state champ Kollin Rath stayed down at 152, state finalist Shawn Taylor outgrew 160, and Nick Kunstek (34-1 and #1 last year but ineligible for the postseason) also outgrew 160. (Rath and Taylor have yet to wrestle this year; Kunstek has 1 match in so far.)

That's not to knock Cunningham or downplay his potential at all. Just to note that he has not earned a ranking above any of them yet, including the win over Evanitsky.

Some might also (before last night) rank him below Luke Sipes and/or Sam Gautreau.

BTW, you saw the name, saw a ranking (all rankings list high schools), and didn't connect him as possibly Casey's kid?
Yes a possibility, but Cunningham is not quite a name that means "relitive". Like I said he is/was never mentioned much if at all. Sorry I don't have all the spare time to indulge in PSU coaches personal life. That's why I have you!

Any wrestling fan has to love those two finals matches. Which others are you watching for good competition?
Probably everything between Luke & Sealey, specifically:

132 Finals- #1 B.Davino vs. #2 M.Blaze
138 Finals- #1 B.Bassett vs. #2 O.Ayoub
150 3rd Place- #1 K.Rath vs. #3 J.Joy

SATURDAY - DECEMBER 9th, 2023

3:00 P.M. - BREAK ALL MUST EXIT 'THE DOME'

4:00 P.M. - Parade of Champions' ALL FINALISTS enter 'THE DOME'

4:30-6:30 - Championship Finals and 3rd/5th place bouts on 3 mats

6:45 P.M. - Awards Ceremony

*all times are Eastern Standard Time

Reactions: RandyL and mcpat
Weird to anyone else that they host this giant tournament every year but Walsh Jesuit doesn’t seem to actually have a wrestling program?

Weird to anyone else that they host this giant tournament every year but Walsh Jesuit doesn’t seem to actually have a wrestling program?
Back in the 90’s when I wrestling in high school they had the number 1 team in the country. In the mid 90’s they had Clint Musser, Sonny Marchette, Joe Heskett, Adam Plouse, Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Knupp. Musser, Heskett, and Knupp won 3 OH state titles while Johnson, Marchette and Plouse won 2. Heskett was so good but I remember thinking that Marchette was just an absolute beast. Definitely fell off a bit I would say

Last edited:
Back in the 90’s when I wrestling in high school they had the number 1 team in the country. In the mid 90’s they had Clint Musser, Sonny Marchette, Joe Heskett, Adam Plouse, Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Knupp. Musser, Heskett, and Knupp won 3 OH state titles while Johnson, Marchette and Plouse won 2. Heskett was so good but I remember thinking that Marchette was just an absolute beast. Definitely fell off a bit I would say
Thank you for the education!

Reactions: zzs006
Jake Dailey making the finals at 190 is so impressive, he was a 152 last season and a 165/175 at all offseason tournaments

144lbs 3rd Place #3 M.Miller vs. #12 J.Robinson
Period 1:
Nothing 0-0

Period 2:
Miller down
Miller escape 1-0

Period 3:
Robinson down
Robinson escape 1-1

Overtime:
#3 M.Miller DEC #12 J.Robinson 2-1 SV1

Last edited:
150lbs 3rd Place #1 K.Rath vs #3 J.Joy
Period 1:
Nothing 0-0

Period 2:
Joy down
Joy escape 1-0

Period 3:
Rath down
Rath escape 1-1

OT-1:
Nothing

OT-2:
Joy down
Joy escape 2-1

OT-3:
Rath down
Rath escape 2-2

OT-4 (double overtime):
Joy down
Rath rideout

Not a lot of action in this one.

150lbs 3rd Place #1 K.Rath DEC #3 J.Joy UTB 2-2?

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
157lb 3rd Place- #10 A.Cunningham vs. #9 J.Ginter
Period 1:
nothing 0-0

Period 2:
Ginter down
Ginter escape 1-0
Cunningham takedown 2-1
Cunningham rides him out
Blood time

Period 3:
Cunningham down
Cunningham reversal 4-1
Riding tough
More blood time
Cunningham rides him out

157lb 3rd Place- #10 A.Cunningham DEC #9 J.Ginter 4-1

165lb Finals- #2 J.Sealey vs. #1 A.Ferrari
Period 1:
nothing 0-0

Period 2:
Sealey down
Sealey escape 1-0 (out in 15 sec)
nothing else, period ends 1-0 Sealey

Period 3:
Ferrari down
Ferrari escape 1-1 (out in 15-sec too)
Stall warning Ferrari, 1-min left
Blood time
ends 1-1

OT-1:
Nothing
More blood time Ferrari

OT-2:
Ferrari down
Ferrari escape 2-1

OT-3:
Sealey down
Sealey escape 2-2

UTB:
Sealey down
Ferarri rides out

165lb Finals- #1 A.Ferrari DEC #2 J.Sealey 2-2 UTB

Last edited:
Mark my words, while LL and Sealy deservingly get the attention, years from now fans will look back and say we didn't really know what we had coming at the time. Think Nick Lee clone.
Cael knew.

I asked him 5+ years ago if his sons wrestled and were prospects and he answered

“Yes but Casey’s kids are the ones we want…”.

Reactions: danoftw and phelpsp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT