ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Recruits at Ironman

Oops!

oops GIF

Reactions: BruceK-PSU83
I just watched it. Yes - Ferrari took more shots. But he backed up to the edge of the circle and wrestled from there the entire match. Was Sealey supposed to shoot just to go out of bounds? It was basically how Hidlay wrestles AB. Prob smart strategy vs an aggressive wrestler like Sealey, but annoying to watch.
Another point of emphasis should be if a wrestler is consistently backing away to the edge call it stalling. Make them wrestle.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
If Iawo admin lets AJ in ( thats a huge risk) and he gets down to 197 and wrestles Brooks, he will wrestles on his knees and look for one takedown. Hopefully the Refs are beave enough to call stalling.

Reactions: WIP2001
My take aways:
Both Ferrari and Sealy should have successful college careers. Doubt they will be the same weight, but could be some fun battles if they do. Not sure why Sealy didn't try to get to his feet in OT instead of a reversal.... Luke is really good, but Jax' funky style is very fun to watch. I hope he comes to PSU simply for the entertainment value and crazy scrambles we would get to watch over his career. Asher had a nice showing too. Devino's win against Blaze was a little surprising after Blaze's recent run.
Devino is very good, so not really a surprise he beat Blaze. These two are pretty evenly matched IMO, like the top guys in most of the other weights at Iron Man. There were a lot of close, low scoring bouts in the semis and in the finals, with a number going to OT. So not much separation.

Did we watch the same match? Where was sealeys shot output. He didn’t touch a leg till the end of the 2nd. Sealey is an elite wrestler, with wins over senior level guys, but he had no offense this match.
When your opponent has one foot OOB the whole match, it tends to discourage shooting. I was actually surprised that baby fast twitch wrestled like such a delgado.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
@GableBeer is 100% right that you guys would be making fun of Sealey as the perfect Iowa wrestler because all he does is push. That's not his usual style, but that is how he wrestled in this match. And that makes sense. Angelo ate him up in the scrambles at WNO. Being more selective with his attacks was imperative for him this match.

Angelo had 12 committed attacks by my count and Sealey had 5. Angelo was the only one who got in deep and came close to scoring, and he did so multiple times.

I don't think either one of them should have been warned. I think Sealey's forward pressure was enough to balance the attack discrepancy.

The warning on Angelo was bad. Not only had he out-attacked him in the match, he had out-attacked him in the third period at that point! In fact, in the span of 20 seconds we saw two identical attack sequences from both guys: Angelo attack - nothing Angelo second attack - gets to the leg. 20 seconds later: Sealey attack - nothing Sealey second attack - gets to leg and drives him off and gets the warning. That's bad. Let them wrestle. They're both working to score.

That was an extremely high level match between two elite high school wrestlers. Neither backed down or blinked. We saw great adjustments from Sealey and all the reasons why Angelo is one of the most college ready recruits in the last couple years. Really well wrestled by both guys.
You are one of my favorite posters. Iowa fan. Honest.

Reactions: js8793 and jsn4388
... Training with a coaching staff who aren't paranoid nutjobs while having vastly superior training partners has got to be worth at least two points going forward. .... When you factor in that the Ferraris are a dumpster fire it doesn't bode well for the Hawkeyes.
We have a decade+ of evidence what's going to happen, completely ignoring combustible personalities adding some drama to the process.

Another point of emphasis should be if a wrestler is consistently backing away to the edge call it stalling. Make them wrestle.
I think a lot of times this is right, like Hidlay-Brooks. But I think the difference here is that Ferrari looked to score the entire match. Yes, he was retreating and keeping great position, but maintained a consistent attack rate from the opening whistle. As long as he's attacking, Ferrari has no obligation to make things easier on Sealey.

Also, can't be emphasized enough how bad the tiny mat at Ironman is. Would love to see these guys wrestle on a correctly sized mat.

I think a lot of times this is right, like Hidlay-Brooks. But I think the difference here is that Ferrari looked to score the entire match. Yes, he was retreating and keeping great position, but maintained a consistent attack rate from the opening whistle. As long as he's attacking, Ferrari has no obligation to make things easier on Sealey.

Also, can't be emphasized enough how bad the tiny mat at Ironman is. Would love to see these guys wrestle on a correctly sized mat.
Agree with you first few sentences.

Per the mat size though… what freakin difference would mat size have made in this match. I dont care if they would have had a 60’ circle, Ferarri would have found his way to the EDGE.

Agree with you first few sentences.

Per the mat size though… what freakin difference would mat size have made in this match. I dont care if they would have had a 60’ circle, Ferarri would have found his way to the EDGE.
Watch this:

The movement in this match is basically the same. Sealey comes forward, Ferrari retreats. The difference is that instead of being on the edge after 3-4 steps back, he still has 2-3 feet left and that's where he stays most of the match. The white outer ring on this mat is the perfect visual tool for this. That's basically the size of the Ironman mat vs. the size of a normal mat.

Watch this:

The movement in this match is basically the same. Sealey comes forward, Ferrari retreats. The difference is that instead of being on the edge after 3-4 steps back, he still has 2-3 feet left and that's where he stays most of the match. The white outer ring on this mat is the perfect visual tool for this. That's basically the size of the Ironman mat vs. the size of a normal mat.
Nice work, and would watch it if I hadnt blown friday off watching ironman all damn day.

Iowa has about the biggest circle in the NCAA, and im sure your guy uses every damn inch of it in retreat.

Watch this:

I hope you aren’t saying that if the mat was bigger the result would’ve been the same as at WNO. Sealey has gotten much better. I don’t like how Ferrari wrestled the match constantly floating to the edge but he attacked so much that I am more than ok with him not being hit for stalling for doing it. He is a tough puzzle to figure out. If they don’t call stalls for dropping to a knee then he is super hard to attack. Plus, when is butt is to the edge any attack Sealey does take just puts them out of bounds. It’s great tactics by Ferrari in my mind and something guys are going to have to figure out because his style won’t change

I hope you aren’t saying that if the mat was bigger the result would’ve been the same as at WNO. Sealey has gotten much better. I don’t like how Ferrari wrestled the match constantly floating to the edge but he attacked so much that I am more than ok with him not being hit for stalling for doing it. He is a tough puzzle to figure out. If they don’t call stalls for dropping to a knee then he is super hard to attack. Plus, when is butt is to the edge any attack Sealey does take just puts them out of bounds. It’s great tactics by Ferrari in my mind and something guys are going to have to figure out because his style won’t change
not at all. just that he wouldn't have been standing on the boundary the entire match.

not at all. just that he wouldn't have been standing on the boundary the entire match.
Seems like he should be easy to figure out if he only takes 3-4 steps back EVERY time.

Maybe if he ever breaks the habit he will take another step or 2 and be on the boundary of NCAA circles.

I'm curious how a match between Ryder vs Ferrari would go. Ferrari said it was scheduled for WNO but Ryder was nicked up after Worlds (mentioned they are friends and he really wants the match, no shade thrown)

Ryder in every sense seems like a Gabe Arnold clone. Not a whole ton of offense but man his build makes him impossible to bring down. I know he wrestled 182 but he goes 176 for free and rumor is he doesn't really cut. He won Fargo and 2 Cadet World Medals and he's pretty green in free. He's at M2 right now training.

From what I hear, one reason he moved to State College was to establish residency like the Lee family did, making me think he isn't getting a ton of scholarship money.

Last edited:
Reactions: js8793
Seems like he should be easy to figure out if he only takes 3-4 steps back EVERY time.

Maybe if he ever breaks the habit he will take another step or 2 and be on the boundary of NCAA circles.
Des anyone know if all Ironman mats are the same size as those in the finals?

If they're not, then look at his low-scoring matches in the quarters (4-1) and semis (5-1) against opponents not at the Sealey or Lockett level.

If they're not, then look at his low-scoring matches in the quarters (4-1) and semis (5-1) against opponents not at the Sealey or Lockett level.
His semi opponent beat Sealey last year. Only 30 seconds of his quarters match took place in neutral.

Not sure where those particular matches were held but the Rudis mats did look bigger.

Found it odd that the finals werent on a Rudis mat, assuming they were a huge sponsor.

Watch this:

I would bet that if these guys stay at the same weight through college, the future match results will resemble the historical Iowa-PSU rematches and corresponding NCAA placement.

See Desanto-RBY, Eireman-Lee, Marinelli-Cenzo, Kemerer-Starocci, Warner-Dean, Cassiopi-Kerk
etc….etc…etc…

I like our chances!

Reactions: mcpat
I would bet that if these guys stay at the same weight through college, the future match results will resemble the historical Iowa-PSU rematches and corresponding NCAA placement.

See Desanto-RBY, Eireman-Lee, Marinelli-Cenzo, Kemerer-Starocci, Warner-Dean, Cassiopi-Kerk
etc….etc…etc…

I like our chances!
Assuming Sealey cracks the line-up 😳

Watch this:

The first 2 takedowns that match probably shows why Sealey wrestled the way he did this time around. Ferrari's reattacks are beautiful. I know it was mentioned he never touched Ferrari's leg at Ironman but last time he did that, Ferrari turned it into his own 2 with a beautiful dive roll. For a strong kid, he is very funky as well, which you don't see as much from AJ, which is likely why people say Angelo will be the best Ferrari brother. After 2 periods when he was down 5-1, think Sealey was just broken and Ferrari took advantage to pour it on.

Reactions: js8793
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT