ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Who would be considered a more highly touted future Hwt? Cole Mirasola
Or Jude Correa, also if they brought in Jude wourealdn’t this potentially turn away his twin brother Connor from PSU? I don’t know, just was thinking about these things , I do feel somehow Cael would make it work cause that’s what he Does, just didn’t know who was considered to be the better future HWT since both are growing into it
An honest question, so an honest 'opinion'.

I think Correa is the stronger candidate. Both are at this point in time a bit undersized, but Correa may be a slightly more natural light heavy (2+ years down the road) with Marisola a more natural 197. Connor will be put on a weight gain program to grow into a heavy. The past 2-3 years have seen all of the top ranked 'pure heavy hammer' prospects commit to our top competition. Anything can happen with Cael at the helm but given Connor's petigre, a respect for our future competition and his size I think low AA is his ceiling, which of course is pretty damned good.

There is little doubt that the Marisolas were a package deal, and if we are being honest Cole was the real target. Correa is younger with arguably a stronger record and despite being a smaller heavy candidate as well, he has a little more time to naturally grow into his frame to help determine if he is a more natural heavy or not. I won't say he is a future national champion, but I believe he has a higher ceiling than Conner. Granted I have only seen a handful of either of their matches, on paper I think it leans Corea.

I prefer to watch the smaller more athletic heavyweight, and the thought of one or two kids on the Cassar plan is enticing.

In all honesty I think we should target him and let the best man win, acknowledging the potential friction this may cause with two Martisola's in the mix.

For now, we have a window where we may have a national champion at the weight which of course IMO is one of the more difficult weights to develop a champion. Too much rides on genetics, and I don't really see a dominating, sure thing recruit out there for once Kerk is gone. Whomever man's the spot if we can get an AA out of it, it's all good.

I think Correa is the stronger candidate. Both are at this point in time a bit undersized, but Correa may be a slightly more natural light heavy (2+ years down the road) with Marisola a more natural 197.
Askren said months ago that Mirasola would be a college HWT.

Reactions: Split shot

I think Correa is the stronger candidate. Both are at this point in time a bit undersized, but Correa may be a slightly more natural light heavy (2+ years down the road) with Marisola a more natural 197. Connor will be put on a weight gain program to grow into a heavy. The past 2-3 years have seen all of the top ranked 'pure heavy hammer' prospects commit to our top competition. Anything can happen with Cael at the helm but given Connor's petigre, a respect for our future competition and his size I think low AA is his ceiling, which of course is pretty damned good.

There is little doubt that the Marisolas were a package deal, and if we are being honest Cole was the real target. Correa is younger with arguably a stronger record and despite being a smaller heavy candidate as well, he has a little more time to naturally grow into his frame to help determine if he is a more natural heavy or not. I won't say he is a future national champion, but I believe he has a higher ceiling than Conner. Granted I have only seen a handful of either of their matches, on paper I think it leans Corea.

I prefer to watch the smaller more athletic heavyweight, and the thought of one or two kids on the Cassar plan is enticing.

In all honesty I think we should target him and let the best man win, acknowledging the potential friction this may cause with two Martisola's in the mix.

For now, we have a window where we may have a national champion at the weight which of course IMO is one of the more difficult weights to develop a champion. Too much rides on genetics, and I don't really see a dominating, sure thing recruit out there for once Kerk is gone. Whomever man's the spot if we can get an AA out of it, it's all good.
There are an awful lot of assertions in the first couple of paragraphs that are fairly dubious at this point, but I guess since we're on a message board, well, whatever.

There are an awful lot of assertions in the first couple of paragraphs that are fairly dubious at this point, but I guess since we're on a message board, well, whatever.
'opinions' are often dubious, especially mine.

I had a 'strong' opinion that Braxton Amos would be challenging for a title out of the gate. Face see egg.

Last edited:
Geez. Can Cael sweep him off his feet during the visit to PSU? Does Cael have the juice?
Willie said before he thinks Rath is down to PSU, Nebraska, and maybe Missouri. Rath said he has visited some schools but has some visits left to take.

I doubt Cael can sweep him off his feet, if Rath takes a serious look at PSU's depth chart at his likely weights. Maybe he chooses PSU anyway, but gotta think him being undecided in March would be to our advantage.

100% PSU FAN but I got to do it to save face....

PED STATE

ps: idc what anybody thinks what's true is true........

NOT CAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

Not sure if it was noted about Rath but he was at Penn State this weekend in the room.
I know a guy that is pretty good friends with his father. His thought is Nebraska is where he might end up. Snyder has been pretty active on his heals.

Reactions: hlstone
Rath is a very good talent but I see him going to Nebraska as well. Not sure he wants to jump in murders row at PSU. He is good but a lot of things would have to go right for him to start. Snyder seems like he has a good handle on the Eastern PA wrestlers.

Virginia Tech has been putting in some work and gathering some top PA kids.

Any word on where some to the other PA wrestlers are looking? Botero, Desmond, Evanitsky, Bouzakis, Austin Johnson. These guys are all juniors.

Rath is a very good talent but I see him going to Nebraska as well. Not sure he wants to jump in murders row at PSU. He is good but a lot of things would have to go right for him to start. Snyder seems like he has a good handle on the Eastern PA wrestlers.

Virginia Tech has been putting in some work and gathering some top PA kids.

Any word on where some to the other PA wrestlers are looking? Botero, Desmond, Evanitsky, Bouzakis, Austin Johnson. These guys are all juniors.
Botero committed to Michigan on Nov 6.

Update on Sean Kinney Hwt from Nazareth. Cael went to his football game last week against Northampton. Coach spoke to him afterwards but Sean is leaning towards playing football in college. Sean has started every game for Nazareth since he was a freshman.
Speaking of which , last night I watched a great high school football game. #2 Ranked Parkland vs #9 Nazareth. Parkland takes lead 17-10 with 4 minutes 17-10. Nazareth gets ball and head coach Falzone son (only a sophomore )plays quarterback and leads them to touchdown . Falzone decides to go for 2. They run the swinging gate formation, and yes the kid that centered the ball caught the 2 point conversion. Parkland gets ball with minute left and drive to Nazareth 40 complete pass to 15 and kid gets ball punched out and Nazareth returns for touch last play of game. It was a great played and coached game.

Last edited:
I really don’t think Cael is sold on any of these heavyweights coming up. Perhaps Michael Mocco is in his sights?
Or maybe Coby Merrill? I'd also say Dreshaun Ross, but he's likely going football. Not sure Adam Waters will get that big.

After we landed the twins, hard to expect a push for a starter-level 2025 HWT. 2026 makes more sense.

Cole had a big win over Dillan Johnson in the finals. Got a buzzer-beating td to win 5-4.
For those who aren't familiar: Johnson is the #2 HWT in the country behind Hopke. 3x IL state champ and Fargo finalist, committed to Wisconsin for football + wrestling. (Originally to NW, but flipped after they fired Fitzgerald.)

He's a defensive lineman and pushing 285 during football season. Mirasola was at 220 for Fargo -- so this is a significant size/strength difference, and Mirasola won anyway.

Not that any of this would stop us from hand-wringing over him.

Slightly surprising. But he’ll certainly get a great education.
He was at CV.

He was interested in PSU, but wanted to play football. He wasn't going to get an offer from Franklin because he is too small. I think his options in football were mostly limited to FCS.

He's going to a playoff FCS team (with D1 teams on their schedule) and I'm sure he's getting a scholarship. They've got 65 to give out. They're in his backyard and it's a great school.

His alternative was going to a school like PSU to NOT receive a full scholarship and NOT play his #1 sport. Instead he's going to a great school for free and he chances of continuing in the sport he loves after college may even be better (although they are very small in both).

When you consider the athlete's desires, it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT