ADVERTISEMENT

PSU changing the shield logo?

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
changes are needed, but not on the logo IMHO. Doesn't look too bad, though:

500x230x5471924298_65a7581969-e1438367872675.jpg.pagespeed.ic.45LIqDYD8X.jpg

500x162xScreen-Shot-2015-08-04-at-1.56.47-AM.png.pagespeed.ic.sTlfoUtl_G.jpg

A few thoughts: I don't think the new logo is bad, and I hadn't realized the old logo was so old. I would have preferred for the color to be darker - why not use Penn State's navy? That doesn't seem to make sense. The font isn't my cup of tea, but the old one wasn't my cup of tea, either - I didn't understand why the "S" was larger than the "P", and with the new logo it's consistent. I like how the logo is on one line, rather than being stacked in the old logo and I like the new lion statue design as it brings out the lion rather than it being washed out in the big blue shield.

As another point, I can't fathom why the University strayed away from using the official university seal on its branding. So many other universities use their seals, and I think that Penn State's is quite attractive and clearly signals PSU as the state's flagship university. I know that many of the Ivy League schools use a shield, though, so maybe that's what they're going for.

Overall, not bad at all, and I think it's a refreshing upgrade all things considered.

A few thoughts: I don't think the new logo is bad, and I hadn't realized the old logo was so old. I would have preferred for the color to be darker - why not use Penn State's navy? That doesn't seem to make sense. The font isn't my cup of tea, but the old one wasn't my cup of tea, either - I didn't understand why the "S" was larger than the "P", and with the new logo it's consistent. I like how the logo is on one line, rather than being stacked in the old logo and I like the new lion statue design as it brings out the lion rather than it being washed out in the big blue shield.

As another point, I can't fathom why the University strayed away from using the official university seal on its branding. So many other universities use their seals, and I think that Penn State's is quite attractive and clearly signals PSU as the state's flagship university. I know that many of the Ivy League schools use a shield, though, so maybe that's what they're going for.

Overall, not bad at all, and I think it's a refreshing upgrade all things considered.

Agree...I like the new logo, but the color is out of line IMHO. Does this mean a uniform change is in the future?

You have to wonder if it's just a case of someone trying to find something to present to justify his paycheck. The amount of busy work out there, anywhere, is astonishing. At least this seems to be quite benign.

That's right Jim. Was it broken? Then don't fix it. How much did this cost?

Smells like bureaucratic empty suits trying to justify their existence.

Reactions: eloracv and 91Joe95
That's right Jim. Was it broken? Then don't fix it. How much did this cost?

Smells like bureaucratic empty suits trying to justify their existence.
If the University is accurate in saying that it had become challenging to use the old logo in digital publications, I would think that might qualify as an issue requiring a fix. And, considering the old logo was designed in the pre-internet age, that might make sense. It was one thing when the logo was used primarily on physical letterhead, but that's probably not the primary use anymore.

If the University is accurate in saying that it had become challenging to use the old logo in digital publications, I would think that might qualify as an issue requiring a fix. And, considering the old logo was designed in the pre-internet age, that might make sense. It was one thing when the logo was used primarily on physical letterhead, but that's probably not the primary use anymore.
How could the original, simple design be challenging in a digital world, though? I don't see it.

As a graphic designer I'd like to know what he meant, specifically by, "doesn't translate well"
Does he mean it doesn't Stand Out enough? I guess I can kind of see that but I like the "elegance" of the original a lot more than the newer design. The only thing I think needed to be fixed on the original was the Font.
I think you could have kept the shield and Lion from the original and just reworked/repositioned the rest.

Uh... why is the color different?!?

Agree...I like the new logo, but the color is out of line IMHO. Does this mean a uniform change is in the future?

Second its not even the proper color, unless of course we are changing the current blue we use.

Because that is the official Penn State shade of blue. The uniforms used to be that color, a dark royal blue, but they were changed to a dark navy sometime during the Paterno era. The lighter, dark royal is still the official Penn State Blue, even though the Athletic department uses the darker navy color. Most Penn State memorabilia uses the dark navy which is not the official school color.

http://visualeditorialstandards.psu.edu/graphic-identity-system/

MPC00379393-2.jpg

MPC00379388-2.jpg

Last edited:
...easy reason...

...change logo...change shirts, stationery, banners, etc., etc.,....

...market the new stuff...

...make more money...;)

Reactions: eloracv and furfoot
According to Barron -
“I am excited to see us moving forward with an updated visual identity that connects our rich tradition with a bright future," Penn State President Eric Barron. Penn State will officially unveil the updated academic mark later in August. (This does not affect the University Seal and Intercollegiate Athletics identity, which continue to roar.)

Not a fan of the new logo, color and font. Seems like a marketing scam to get people to buy new things. People bought the "one team" merchandise, so there's definitely some patsies that will buy this as well.

...easy reason...

...change logo...change shirts, stationery, banners, etc., etc.,....

...market the new stuff...

...make more money...;)
I disagree. Changing the logo on everything on and around campus and online is not a trivial expense for the university. I don't see this as a money grab.

PSU has the new logo on Facebook and it shows a darker blue than the version posted in the OP.

I do not like the new shield logo. The original is more dignified. The new one is a bit cartoony. The only issue I have with the original logo is that the lion is small.

On a side note, Penn State has presented the original shield logo in a lighter shade of blue before. These logos are available via Google Images:

Penn-State-University-Writing-Residency.jpg

19Ezrc.AuSt.42.jpg

I liked the older one better, especially since it noted the year PSU was founded. But I can live with this new one, even though the eyes look a little like a ghost. My bigger question is what was the tab for the consultants who worked on this. I'm pretty sure PSU went outside for this vs. using in house resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Because that is the official Penn State shade of blue. The uniforms used to be that color, a dark royal blue, but they were changed to a dark navy sometime during the Paterno era. The lighter, dark royal is still the official Penn State Blue, even though the Athletic department uses the darker navy color. Most Penn State memorabilia uses the dark navy which is not the official school color.

http://visualeditorialstandards.psu.edu/graphic-identity-system/

MPC00379393-2.jpg

MPC00379388-2.jpg

The color you state is our official color is different from the color shown here in this "new" logo. So in effect, we would have three or even more different shades of blue in use in some official capacity. Great.

I do not like the new shield logo. The original is more dignified. The new one is a bit cartoony. The only issue I have with the original logo is that the lion is small.

On a side note, Penn State has presented the original shield logo in a lighter shade of blue before. These logos are available via Google Images:

Penn-State-University-Writing-Residency.jpg

19Ezrc.AuSt.42.jpg

Pretty much agree. My only issue with this or the (old) logo is the Font.
The lion is iconic its the one everyone has their picture taken with in front of Rec Hall.
If they wanted to change it up all they had to do was just "tweak" the original. They already had a good base
to work from.

The color you state is our official color is different from the color shown here in this "new" logo. So in effect, we would have three or even more different shades of blue in use in some official capacity. Great.

Yea thats always one of the things that bugged me, along with about 6 different version of the font used to spell out Pennsylvania State University.

The lion reminds me in some ways of this logo, which was also a failure.

I actually think this was a solid logo but a bit to busy for PSU where a classic look goes a long way. The shield version of this '95 attempt was a little bette

2573.png

I actually think this was a solid logo but a bit to busy for PSU where a classic look goes a long way. The shield version of this '95 attempt was a little bette

2573.png

I always liked that one but I can see where this one would be a problem for letterhead but it looks great as a magnet or on a sweatshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT