ADVERTISEMENT

PSU bans Beta and puts huge restrictions on Greek Life

NorCalcLion

Jan 25, 2005
Now the PSU Greeks have something to worry about

STATE COLLEGE - Penn State issued a tough set of rules for fraternity and sorority parties Thursday, even as it issued the Greek life equivalent of the death penalty to the fraternity where a student died during a February party.

The new rules include a limit of 10 alcohol-fueled parties per semester at any single fraternity or sorority; alcohol service at those parties limited to beer and wine, all served by state-certified bartenders; and a ban on kegs.

Penn State is also moving rush - the campus-wide recruitment and period for new fraternity and sorority members - from fall semester to spring semester in 2017-18, to give incoming students more time to become oriented to campus life.

Ads by ZINC
Vice President for Student Affairs Damon Sims said university officials aren't ready to cut the cord with the Greek organizations altogether.

Sims said he likes the groups' role in establishing smaller communities within one of America's largest student bodies, the additional sense of belonging they create for alumni, and the service works they undertake.

The new rules, Sims said, will give the Greeks at Penn State a new chance to "emphasize these good things,while weeding out the problems that have caused such pain, collectively and individually, to all of us."

To wit:

• Internal university figures show fraternity and sorority members are four times more likely than the general student population to be heavy drinkers;
  • Sorority women are 50 percent more likely than other female students to be sexually assaulted, and fraternity men are 62 percent more likely to commit a sexual assault than non-fraternity men.
All of those bad statistics got a human face late Feb. 2, when student Timothy Piazza fell down a set of stairs in the Beta house during a party, and was left unattended for as long as 12 hours as a party raged through the night.

The 19-year-old from Lebanon, N.J. died two days later at Hershey Medical center, and the circumstances of the death are still the subject of a criminal investigation in Centre County.

In the 2014-15 academic year, the Kappa Delta Rho house at Penn State gave the university a black eye with revelations of a members-only Facebook page filled with pictures of hazing activities and female students in compromising positions.

That house's charter at Penn State was suspended for three years.

For all those problems, Greek-letter organizations continue to play a big role at Penn State's main campus.

University officials note there are 82 fraternities and sororities recognized by the school, claiming about 18 percent of the total undergraduate student body as members.

Sims said the new protocols represent a much more aggressive approach by the university to set rules for what are private membership groups that have traditionally been permitted wide berth to self-govern.

"Enough is enough," Sims said. "A fundamental shift is required if these organizations are to be truly successful and sustainable."

One effect of the changes, including the end of self-service from a keg, or strict adherence to underage drinking laws, would be to have fraternities and sororities to operate much more like licensed bars when throwing a party.

The limits on the number of events are also potentially significant.

A Penn State semester is 15 weeks long, so under existing rules, fraternities and sororities faced a liberal cap of 45 alcohol events a semester, or an average of three per week.

That cap was set by Penn State's Interfraternity Council.

Under the new rules, Sims said, that average would be cut to well under one event with alcohol per week.

Sims, in announcing the changes, said enforcement mechanisms are still in development, but will likely involve some combination of university staff and local law enforcement.

A ban on alcohol events this spring has been enforced through random spot checks by Student Affairs staff, a university spokesman said. Penn State could also consider the hiring of a third-party monitoring service.

Violations will lead to immediate penalties for individual houses, and could affect their status at Penn State.

"We are not going to be bashful about winnowing away these organizations if they don't meet our expectations," Sims said.

A collective failure to abide by the new rules could also prompt Penn State to re-impose the ban on all alcohol that has been put into effect this spring. Sims added.

Sims said the ban on Beta Theta Pi - already closed in the wake of Piazza's death - was made permanent as ongoing student conduct investigations have uncovered persistent patterns of serious alcohol abuse, hazing, and the use and sale of illicit drugs.

"The serious violations we have found... which combine with a student's tragic death to lead us to conclude that Beta Theta Pi, despite its notable history at Penn State, merits no continuing place in our community."

This post was updated at 12:39 p.m. to include some information on the number of students involved in fraternities and sororities at Penn State.

Sims said the ban on Beta Theta Pi - already closed in the wake of Piazza's death - was made permanent as ongoing student conduct investigations have uncovered persistent patterns of serious alcohol abuse, hazing, and the use and sale of illicit drugs.
I don't want to sound like I am making light of this situation as I can't even imagine being Tim Piazza's parents, but there is alcohol abuse and illicit drugs being used at every college pretty much every day of the week. Hazing is another story as I can confirm my fraternity never hazed while I was in school and pretty confident it still doesn't today. I completely agree with banning Beta, but penalizing every other fraternity and sorority for their transgression is an overreaction.

I understand Beta is on campus, but I'm really not sure how the university has this much control over off-campus houses!? How are they different then apartments where there are plenty of drugs and alcohol. All this will do is increase the number of apartment parties increasing the chance of something tragic happening at one of them with overcrowded balconies.

Institute a zero-tolerance hazing policy and punish the guilty, but not everyone else who had zero control over what happened. Man, I'm glad I went to PSU when I did!

STATE COLLEGE - Penn State issued a tough set of rules for fraternity and sorority parties Thursday, even as it issued the Greek life equivalent of the death penalty to the fraternity where a student died during a February party.

The new rules include a limit of 10 alcohol-fueled parties per semester at any single fraternity or sorority; alcohol service at those parties limited to beer and wine, all served by state-certified bartenders; and a ban on kegs.

Penn State is also moving rush - the campus-wide recruitment and period for new fraternity and sorority members - from fall semester to spring semester in 2017-18, to give incoming students more time to become oriented to campus life.

Ads by ZINC
Vice President for Student Affairs Damon Sims said university officials aren't ready to cut the cord with the Greek organizations altogether.

Sims said he likes the groups' role in establishing smaller communities within one of America's largest student bodies, the additional sense of belonging they create for alumni, and the service works they undertake.

The new rules, Sims said, will give the Greeks at Penn State a new chance to "emphasize these good things,while weeding out the problems that have caused such pain, collectively and individually, to all of us."

To wit:

• Internal university figures show fraternity and sorority members are four times more likely than the general student population to be heavy drinkers;
  • Sorority women are 50 percent more likely than other female students to be sexually assaulted, and fraternity men are 62 percent more likely to commit a sexual assault than non-fraternity men.
All of those bad statistics got a human face late Feb. 2, when student Timothy Piazza fell down a set of stairs in the Beta house during a party, and was left unattended for as long as 12 hours as a party raged through the night.

The 19-year-old from Lebanon, N.J. died two days later at Hershey Medical center, and the circumstances of the death are still the subject of a criminal investigation in Centre County.

In the 2014-15 academic year, the Kappa Delta Rho house at Penn State gave the university a black eye with revelations of a members-only Facebook page filled with pictures of hazing activities and female students in compromising positions.

That house's charter at Penn State was suspended for three years.

For all those problems, Greek-letter organizations continue to play a big role at Penn State's main campus.

University officials note there are 82 fraternities and sororities recognized by the school, claiming about 18 percent of the total undergraduate student body as members.

Sims said the new protocols represent a much more aggressive approach by the university to set rules for what are private membership groups that have traditionally been permitted wide berth to self-govern.

"Enough is enough," Sims said. "A fundamental shift is required if these organizations are to be truly successful and sustainable."

One effect of the changes, including the end of self-service from a keg, or strict adherence to underage drinking laws, would be to have fraternities and sororities to operate much more like licensed bars when throwing a party.

The limits on the number of events are also potentially significant.

A Penn State semester is 15 weeks long, so under existing rules, fraternities and sororities faced a liberal cap of 45 alcohol events a semester, or an average of three per week.

That cap was set by Penn State's Interfraternity Council.

Under the new rules, Sims said, that average would be cut to well under one event with alcohol per week.

Sims, in announcing the changes, said enforcement mechanisms are still in development, but will likely involve some combination of university staff and local law enforcement.

A ban on alcohol events this spring has been enforced through random spot checks by Student Affairs staff, a university spokesman said. Penn State could also consider the hiring of a third-party monitoring service.

Violations will lead to immediate penalties for individual houses, and could affect their status at Penn State.

"We are not going to be bashful about winnowing away these organizations if they don't meet our expectations," Sims said.

A collective failure to abide by the new rules could also prompt Penn State to re-impose the ban on all alcohol that has been put into effect this spring. Sims added.

"The serious violations we have found... which combine with a student's tragic death to lead us to conclude that Beta Theta Pi, despite its notable history at Penn State, merits no continuing place in our community."

This post was updated at 12:39 p.m. to include some information on the number of students involved in fraternities and sororities at Penn State.

I didn't go to PSU undergrad, but we had a weasily dean just like Damon Sims. The guy, who was a repressed social reject, had it out for fraternities and through subterfuge and heavy-handedness managed to get rid of about 75% of them, and change the whole Greek system during his tenure. Some change was necessary, but this guy went way too far, way too fast. Result? Most of the students who were associated with the Greek system (and that was most of the students) felt more connection to their affiliations than to the school, and the school has effectively lost a generation of alumni support.

I didn't go to PSU undergrad, but we had a weasily dean just like Damon Sims. The guy, who was a repressed social reject, had it out for fraternities and through subterfuge and heavy-handedness managed to get rid of about 75% of them, and change the whole Greek system during his tenure. Some change was necessary, but this guy went way too far, way too fast. Result? Most of the students who were associated with the Greek system (and that was most of the students) felt more connection to their affiliations than to the school, and the school has effectively lost a generation of alumni support.
Agree. Way too far, too fast. Severe.

Spoke to my daughter who is in the greek system at PSU when this came out......

Some of the national chapters are going to fight PSU on the non rush in the fall......many of the houses need a certain number of students to be living in the house in order to not lose significant amount of money for the fraternity. Rush was stopped in the spring, no rush in the fall, so Sophomores who did not rush their freshman year get short changed as the only available time to rush was in the fall of their sophomore year....if they missed that window they will not join a sorority or fraternity in the spring of their junior year....

The cutting down on the partying was expected the stopping any new members for a year will hurt many of the organizations. My daughter said that her friends do feel that PSU loves the greek students and the energy that they put into Football Games, THON, Greek week, and Arts Festival attendance, but are taking this opportunity to punish the organizations that had nothing to do what happened at BETA.

Since the increase in scrutiny many of the greek students have been leaving campus and driving to other campuses, my daughter told me about some of her friends driving to Bucknell, Cornell, Maryland and WV.....which is probably much more dangerous than staying on campus and walking to parties to drink.

...here I thought the "Administration" was outlining the inadequacies of the Board of Trustees...:)

I thought you had finally ditched your Betamax player.

48355_01_sony-finally-kills-betamax.jpg

yikes.

Beta Theta Pi shall never return ... betcha Mark H. Dambly is busy with renderings for a $650k-per-unit housing project for Pennrose

http://news.psu.edu/story/459270/20...nned-new-restrictions-put-greek-letter-groups

Man am I glad I went to school in the early 70s. College must really suck now. We seemed to police ourselves pretty good back then without Big Brother looking over our shoulder all the time.

Really sorry to hear what happened at Beta. But I saw somewhere that 36 students died at Penn State between 2010 and 2013. Seems like the Fraternities have an exponentially better track record than the rest of the University.

When I went to school, we had at least 5 or 10 kids either kill themselves or be killed (fall off balconies, drug od's, etc). None of them lived in Fraternities. And from what I can tell, we had a heck of a lot more social activity than they have now (Jammies, Phi Psi 500, Greek Week, etc, etc, etc).

Feel sorry for you guys.

yikes.

Beta Theta Pi shall never return ... betcha Mark H. Dambly is busy with renderings for a $650k-per-unit housing project for Pennrose

http://news.psu.edu/story/459270/20...nned-new-restrictions-put-greek-letter-groups
We established a few weeks ago that the Beta Fraterinity owns both the house and the lot. I won't be surprised if the National Chapter files suit against PSU.

If Beta loses, there are going to be numerous BOT members and other State College insiders scrambling to purchase that prime piece of property. PSU will certainly be one of the "players" posturing itself into securing the property, in which case the BOT is going to be more "conflicted" than usual.

Last edited:
We established a few weeks ago that the Beta Fraterinity owns both the house and the lot. I won't be surprised if the National Chapter files suit against PSU.

If Beta loses, there are going to be numerous BOT members and other State College insiders scrambling to purchase that prime piece of property. PSU will certainly be one of the "players" posturing itself into securing the property, in which case the BOT is going to be more "conflicted" than usual.
I wonder how the deed is written. Is there a clause which gives the university the right of first refusal to purchase the property since it was originally part of the university (I think)? It would suck if a Dambly type buys it and squeezes some type of ugly high rise into the space.

A fine property indeed. Your new estate?

I wonder how the deed is written. Is there a clause which gives the university the right of first refusal to purchase the property since it was originally part of the university (I think)? It would suck if a Dambly type buys it and squeezes some type of ugly high rise into the space.

What's to stop the National Fraternity from renting the house to anyone they like? What's to stop it from being rented out by a group of students who might have happened to be Beta members in the past? It would just be a house, unregulated by any P-H council. In fall & spring they could hold "get-to-know-you" events with new freshmen & sophomores, and if they are like-minded, could rent units to them. Perhaps the students who live there would all be "members" of some suitably named "private club" like, I don't know, "Bachelors Traditional Premises" or, "BTP" for short?

What's to stop any other fraternity from doing something similar, especially the off-campus ones?

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Man am I glad I went to school in the early 70s. College must really suck now. We seemed to police ourselves pretty good back then without Big Brother looking over our shoulder all the time.

Really sorry to hear what happened at Beta. But I saw somewhere that 36 students died at Penn State between 2010 and 2013. Seems like the Fraternities have an exponentially better track record than the rest of the University.

When I went to school, we had at least 5 or 10 kids either kill themselves or be killed (fall off balconies, drug od's, etc). None of them lived in Fraternities. And from what I can tell, we had a heck of a lot more social activity than they have now (Jammies, Phi Psi 500, Greek Week, etc, etc, etc).

Feel sorry for you guys.
different world- we were responsible for our own actions, today it's always somebody else's fault

I don't want to sound like I am making light of this situation as I can't even imagine being Tim Piazza's parents, but there is alcohol abuse and illicit drugs being used at every college pretty much every day of the week. Hazing is another story as I can confirm my fraternity never hazed while I was in school and pretty confident it still doesn't today. I completely agree with banning Beta, but penalizing every other fraternity and sorority for their transgression is an overreaction.

I understand Beta is on campus, but I'm really not sure how the university has this much control over off-campus houses!? How are they different then apartments where there are plenty of drugs and alcohol. All this will do is increase the number of apartment parties increasing the chance of something tragic happening at one of them with overcrowded balconies.

Institute a zero-tolerance hazing policy and punish the guilty, but not everyone else who had zero control over what happened. Man, I'm glad I went to PSU when I did!
. The difference between off campus houses are Greek organizations are recognized and sanctioned by the university. All national organization require them to recognized by the university in order to keep their charter. In order to be recognized they must follow university and the Greek council.
They already had a zero tolerance policy on hazing. As you can see it was not working. This is not an isolated incident. It was just the straw that broke the camel back. Something had to change. There is far to much liability for both the university and Greek life not to take more measure. Imagine if another student was to die. Lawyers would be salivating to take that case.
Greek life always like to say they not about alcohol. Do they really need to get drunk 45 times a semester or three days a week? There nothing preventing them from having dry events. On top of that it also doesn't stop them from buying their own alcohol and consuming in the house.

Reactions: WTNuke
Rush is the biggest piece of this. and 10 functions for the semester. really does look like the university is trying to phase out frats. Pretty sad. The PSU i know and loved is a joke now
It 10 functions that the chapter provides alcohol. They can have dry functions. How often does a fraternity need to get drunk to have brotherhood?

in the past, psu came out very hard and then loosened up. not sure it is going to be the case this time.

Was never in a fraternity at State, so please don't take my post as anti-Greek. All due respect to those here who were Greek, but could it be that this is part of a trend (and not just at PSU)? Considering the vast majority of students are not in a frat/sorority, would a decline in Greek life ultimately matter? Again, since I never took part in one, I just don't know.

Feel sorry for you guys.
Hell, when I attended, the only fear of dying I had was walking across the HUB lawn between classes ON CAMPUS for fear of getting shot by a sniper.

Was never in a fraternity at State, so please don't take my post as anti-Greek. All due respect to those here who were Greek, but could it be that this is part of a trend (and not just at PSU)? Considering the vast majority of students are not in a frat/sorority, would a decline in Greek life ultimately matter? Again, since I never took part in one, I just don't know.
I think it is a trend, and if kids are free to choose, that's fine with me- but it isn't up to the administration to do it- especially in such an underhanded way.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
It's overdue. These places have needed to clean up their act for awhile. The University feels responsible for the welfare of the undergrads they bring here. I don't blame them for insisting on making it a safer place.

Back in the 60's there was no rush during Fall quarter. It began in Winter quarter which began in January. The house was full and we even had an annex.

Back in the 60's there was no rush during Fall quarter. It began in Winter quarter which began in January. The house was full and we even had an annex.
that must have changed during the 60s, because by the late 60s there was a fall rush

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT