ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Facts and History of Penn State Wrestling

NittanyLion84

Jan 24, 2016
PA - D9
In 1899, Penn State students started Class Rush or Scraps to help initiate incoming students into college life. A Scrap was a brutal encounter between large groups of freshman and sophomores, resulting in many injuries, some even grave. Although this annual scuffle was not serious at first, while classes were small, as Penn State grew in size, this event became a major problem. Often each side had over a hundred members in the fray. In 1902, an agreement was reached between the two underclasses to dispense with what they called a barbarous rush and to substitute wrestling matches as a way of testing the relative strengths of the two classes. The first ever organized Penn State Wrestling event took place on 9/23/1902(Incidentally, my Birthday is 9/23). There were only three bouts: light, middle and heavyweight. The class that won two of the three was declared the winner. That first ever Penn State Wrestling event was won by the sophomores, 2-1.

In 1913, even before Penn State was admitted into the Intercollegiate Wrestling Association(later the EIWA). Penn State defeated the league’s two top teams(Cornell and Lehigh), Penn State also defeated the two top teams in the Canadian Intercollegiate Conference(McGill and Toronto) and finally Penn State defeated the top Western Collegiate Conference team(Indiana). Western Collegiate Conference, later became the Big 10. The Collegian insisted, at the end of that season, that Penn State had the best(though unofficial) claim to being the collegiate wrestling champion of both Canada and the US. As a result, I decided to add this year to my signature.😊

Last edited:
While Sophomore vs Freshman Wrestling continued each Fall, on 3/27/1909 Penn State traveled to Cornell for its first official dual meet against an opponent, other than Penn State vs Penn State crime. Penn State lost 6 bouts to 1, primarily through inexperience, to what was considered to be the best team in the EIWA. The impression Penn State made against Cornell was so good that it was being seriously considered that Penn State take Columbia’s place, in the EIWA, next winter.

In 1910, Penn State records its first dual meet win, 7-0 over the University of Pennsylvania.

The very next year in 1911, Penn State achieves its first undefeated team.

Admitted into the EIWA in 1917, Penn State wins its first EIWA Championship in 1918, with 6 Individual Champions.

In 1960, for the first time in Penn State history, an overflow Rec Hall crowd forces a huge contingent of fans over to Schwab Auditorium to see the match via large-screen closed circuit TV, as Penn State beats Army 24-10.

In 1975, John Friz becomes the first ever to defeat a defending NCAA Champion, in the NCAA Finals.

In 1988, Penn State becomes the first team ever to beat Iowa in Carver Arena and in 1989 becomes the first team ever to beat Iowa for the third straight year.

In 1994, in a first and still unique event, Penn State wrestles a triple-header in one afternoon in Rec Hall, beating Minnesota, losing to West Virginia and then beating Pitt

During Penn State’s 1953 NCAA Championship, Charlie Speidel’s own coach, at Montclair State University, New Jersey, 76-year old Wilfred Cann, witnessed the whole tourney and stated: The East did all the wrestling. You’re not a wrestler unless you’re always working for falls. Some of the wrestlers from the West didn’t do that, and that’s why they lost.

Looks like they had edge wrestling and pushing and shoving, way back in 1953!!!

Charlie Speidel kept notes on his best wrestlers, at each of the eight weight classes, over his years as the head coach. One stood out against the others.

Jim Maurey ‘50 - The picture of perfection, a great team captain and performer. One of the smoothest and quickest wrestlers ever seen on the Penn State mats.

Reactions: mcpat
Charlie Speidel kept notes on his best wrestlers, at each of the eight weight classes, over his years as the head coach. One stood out against the others.

Jim Maurey ‘50 - The picture of perfection, a great team captain and performer. One of the smoothest and quickest wrestlers ever seen on the Penn State mats.
him and his brothers - Clearfield boys!

Reactions: NittanyLion84
In the 115 years of Penn State Wrestling, Penn State has had a total of 13 Head Coaches and only one has a loosing record - their very first Head Coach, Hickey Smith. He only coached one dual meet, their very first dual meet vs Cornell on 3/27/1909, which they lost 6 bouts to 1.

In 1910, Penn State records its first dual meet win, 7-0 over the University of Pennsylvania.

The very next year in 1911, Penn State achieves its first undefeated team.

Admitted into the EIWA in 1917, Penn State wins its first EIWA Championship in 1918, with 6 Individual Champions.

In 1960, for the first time in Penn State history, an overflow Rec Hall crowd forces a huge contingent of fans over to Schwab Auditorium to see the match via large-screen closed circuit TV, as Penn State beats Army 24-10.

In 1975, John Friz becomes the first ever to defeat a defending NCAA Champion, in the NCAA Finals.

In 1988, Penn State becomes the first team ever to beat Iowa in Carver Arena and in 1989 becomes the first team ever to beat Iowa for the third straight year.

In 1994, in a first and still unique event, Penn State wrestles a triple-header in one afternoon in Rec Hall, beating Minnesota, losing to West Virginia and then beating Pitt
I was there to see Fritz win,he tore one fingernail totally off just taped it up and went on to win!

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Tri Meets were great....
I think when the schedule doesn't allow for a marquee Bryce Jordan matchup, Penn State should wrestle double header in BJC.
They should wrestle an independent (Army/Navy?) opponent in afternoon with group deep discounted youth promotion admission (Free?) to any organization that is willing to travel. Gear the day on Patriotism. Season ticket holders offered opportunity to buy but not included in Season ticket package.
Wrestle mid level Big Ten opponent (Minnesota?) in evening. Include that match as the Season ticket package.
Someone like me would come out to both matches and support local watering holes. Family's would shop and eat in-between matches. It would be also great to offer kids a chance to see their heroes. Grow the sport.

Last edited:
Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Clair Hess ‘42 - My greatest recollection was the football coach, Bob Higgins, accompanied the freshmen wrestling team on a bus trip to Mercersburg Academy. He talked to everyone and exemplified the Penn State spirit by showing us that the head coach, in a major sport at Penn State, was not above performing a menial task, for the good of the wrestling team and the College.

I thought wrestling started in 2011🤷
Actually I did some research on this and it turns out that wrestling began in 1953. After 1953, the sport was discontinued and didn't begin again until 2011, stopping again in 2015, then returning in 2016. The sport took another hiatus in 2020, but returned in 2022.

Reactions: mcpat
Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Eugene Austin ‘63 - in 1961 I arrived at Penn State and walked on to the wrestling team. I met a man who addressed everyone as Doc. Respectfully in return, everyone called him Doc. Although I was never able to break into the starting lineup and never wrestled a varsity match, Coach Charles Doc Speidel made me feel like an integral part of the Penn State wrestling team. He taught me lessons that have stayed with me throughout the years. Doc Speidel allowed me to discover the mental toughness, determination, perseverance that I had within myself. Ultimately, I found that the lessons learned in the wrestling room were and are often as important, if not more important, than the lessons learned in the classroom.

It was being part of that team that taught me so much. Not everyone can be the number one wrestler in his weight class, but no matter how well I wrestled, I always finished either second or third in wrestle-offs. However, I learned that for a team to be successful there must be depth on the team and strong competition, in practices as well as during matches. I discovered that wrestlers don’t always win, but they always prepare to win. I am proud to say that I was part of the Penn State wrestling tradition and a member of the team.

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Mark Piven ‘64 - My high school wrestling coach, the late Sprig Gardner, of Mepham High School on Long Island, was an old service buddy of Charlie Speidel, was an influence in my attending Penn State. Wrestling for Doc was an experience. His practices were much different from what I was used to. Instead of holding the rigorous practices of drilling over and over, he would tell us to go out and just wrestle. And he walk around showing us many neat little tricks. Penn State was in the EIWA and at the end of the season emphasis was geared to winning the Easterns. The NCAA were mostly an afterthought, since usually only Eastern winners were allowed to go to Nationals, if any. No funds were provided by the NCAA. I was fortunate that, in 1964, the Nationals were at Cornell University. So Coach Speidel decided to take a number of us to wrestle - even, those who had not done well, at the Easterns. My one loss at Nationals was to Uetake, of Oklahoma State, the eventual champion, who went on to win it twice more and also become an Olympic champion. George Edwards and Marty Strayer also placed that year and our team was in the top ten.

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Mark Piven ‘64 - My high school wrestling coach, the late Sprig Gardner, of Mepham High School on Long Island, was an old service buddy of Charlie Speidel, was an influence in my attending Penn State. Wrestling for Doc was an experience. His practices were much different from what I was used to. Instead of holding the rigorous practices of drilling over and over, he would tell us to go out and just wrestle. And he walk around showing us many neat little tricks. Penn State was in the EIWA and at the end of the season emphasis was geared to winning the Easterns. The NCAA were mostly an afterthought, since usually only Eastern winners were allowed to go to Nationals, if any. No funds were provided by the NCAA. I was fortunate that, in 1964, the Nationals were at Cornell University. So Coach Speidel decided to take a number of us to wrestle - even, those who had not done well, at the Easterns. My one loss at Nationals was to Uetake, of Oklahoma State, the eventual champion, who went on to win it twice more and also become an Olympic champion. George Edwards and Marty Strayer also placed that year and our team was in the top ten.
Hey Nit ,was Joe Eremus on the team with you?

I was a counselor at Sprig Garner's wrestling camp. Since you wrestled for him, you know he was a legend. He left LI to come to Gettysburg to coach, but almost immediately had a heart attack and was forced to retire. He brought a couple of LI wrestlers with him to Gettysburg, and they were NQs and place winners.
Uetake was the GOAT from the POV of most everyone I knew back then. My brother went to Lehigh and was a friend of Joe Peritore, almost the Daton Fix of his time --- he lost to Uetake twice in the finals, and also took a 3rd.

Hey Nit ,was Joe Eremus on the team with you?
I was not on the wrestling team, as close as I got was wrestling via a gym class and Hachiro Oishi was our instructor - but he worked us hard, like we were all going to debut, for the Penn State Wrestling team, in Rec Hall.😃

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
I was not on the wrestling team, as close as I got was wrestling via a gym class and Hachiro Oishi was our instructor - but he worked us hard, like we were all going to debut, for the Penn State Wrestling team, in Rec Hall.😃
So you went to Boiling Springs? They never had a state champ until Joe Eremus. But the very next weight class that year was Larry Karper, who was BS's 2nd state champ for that year and forever. And they didn't have another one for decades! Back then, D1 + D3 made up the SE Region. Karper and Eremus were SE Region champs in '62, as coincidentally was my older brother.

I was a counselor at Sprig Garner's wrestling camp. Since you wrestled for him, you know he was a legend. He left LI to come to Gettysburg to coach, but almost immediately had a heart attack and was forced to retire. He brought a couple of LI wrestlers with him to Gettysburg, and they were NQs and place winners.
Uetake was the GOAT from the POV of most everyone I knew back then. My brother went to Lehigh and was a friend of Joe Peritore, almost the Daton Fix of his time --- he lost to Uetake twice in the finals, and also took a 3rd.
Don't forget Bob Fehrs who went to U of Michigan. He lost 3X to Mike Caruso in the NCAA finals at 123. Fehrs was a District 3 native as he went to Milton Hershey school. He didn't wrestle in the PIAA post season tournament because Milton Hershey was a private school that went to the National Prep tournament at Lehigh. But Milton Hershey did wrestle duals against all the local schools including Cumberland Valley, Cedar Cliff and Lower Dauphin.

Edit: PS - I forgot to mention that Milton Hershey had a pretty decent team when I was in HS. Partly because they had the tough competition of their District 3 opponents. They won the team title at the National Prep tournament a few times.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
They are AA now. Know that area well, my Grandfather used to be an Usher, in the Force Catholic Church.
not to far from Straub... I can drink it, but if I have something else I have a hard time having another (in the same type of setting)

had to go to my cousins wedding at that church as a kid... Longest wedding ever - it was in latin, hot inside (no air at the time)
Had to be Father Varga, could do a whole thread on that guy, for throwing out mothers and her baby for crying in church. He would stop mass and point, you! get that crying baby out of this church. He was the 70’s version of Burgermeister Meisterburger, from Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.

Last edited:
Had to be Father Varga, could do whole thread on that guy, for throwing out mothers and her baby for crying in church. He would stop mass and point, you! get that crying baby out of this church. He was the 70’s version of Burgermeister Meisterburger, from Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.
do you know a Dave and Doll Fox? Cousins on my wife's side

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Larry Suhey ‘76 - My grandfather was Bob Higgins, former head football coach, at Penn State and also a wrestler. As a young boy, I would listen to him tell about beating a national champion from Pittsburgh. Meeting Coach Charlie Doc Speidel, in the Rec Hall locker room was a big thrill. As I was standing shaking his hand, he said, Who’s that behind you? I turned to look and he hit me in back of my head, with a tap and said, Never turn your back on a good man!

After following in my grandfather’s footsteps, by earning a letter in both football and wrestling, I realized how great the Penn State wrestling program is and how important it is to the University. If I had ever had to go to war, I would have chosen to have wrestlers to be in the foxhole with me, because they are the most mentally and physically tough people I have ever been around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT