ADVERTISEMENT

Players that may make an impact this year.....

You should learn to read. I wrote nothing of the sort. My comments had nothing to do with maintaining academic excellence, which I support completely - what Joe accomplished, as well as the standards that CJF has set for academics and player behavior..

What I was saying was that I couldn't care less how much CJF makes. PSU spent what it took to hire a great coach and his staff. CJF is aggressively assembling a talented team, as he said he would on the evening his hiring was announced.

I took no swipes at anyone, but you are the one that comes on strong with the unwarranted criticism. Read the words for what they are, and not for you pleasure in interpreting them so you can make an a$$ of yourself.

You are correct, I posted to wrong msg, but I immediately corrected it - but still my apologies. However, the response it was intended for did take gratuitous swipes at JVP and The Grand Experiment in his response to sluggo 72.

OL and kicking game are the biggest concerns. Everything else (assuming health) should be ok. Tough to get a read on anything in the B/W game, but the OL looks like a struggle again. Hopefully, there is improvement and turn into a positive surprise.
Think you are right, Lundy. God, I hope the OL is measurably better. I'm nervous about the kicking game because Ficken (SP?) was money on field goals and PAT's. He will not be easy to replace.

Reactions: BBrown
Since when did you become PSU's Athletic Director or set what standards are, or should be, for The Pennsylvania State University's many Head Coaches? What a bunch of arrogant drivel - BTW a PSU Head Coach like Cael Sanderson demonstrates that these two goals of producing world-class National Chapionship caliber athletes in the most physically demanding sports while performing in the classroom is NOT a mutually-exclusive endeavor. You really are an arrogant, bloviating piece of work who takes every chance he gets to take unwarranted, classless swipes at an honorable and great man who has passed this earth - you truly are a douche, but sadly mistaken in your belief that you are the spokesman for the PSU Community, what it stands for and what it believes in.

BS, where was the swipe? It must be in your head. sluggo stated that CJF shouldn't use JUCO's even though Joe did. Don't lecture me if you don't know what you're talking about BODE. If Joe did it, than why can't a new HC who was just got off sanctions take a JUCO to a position that was depleted. What I said is a new HC regardless won't be here long if he doesn't win first. You can't keep your job today if you don't win. If you want to deny that or go off on some other rant, have at it. It's a fact in college football today. You don't win and you're out of a job. That kind of kills the Grand Experiment for any HC out there before they even get rolling at PSU. So I think CJF needs to recruit the players he needs to first in order to do that. He's already said the right things about the classroom. His GPA's have been incredible and set records in the spring I believe.

I never once took a shot at Joe, but some of the older fan base needs to let CJF does his thing and make his name. Stop putting him up on Joe's pedestal or doing the GD comparisons to everything Joe did. It's a different time and the circumstances are a bit different when CJF took over. A 3rd year coach who's biggest accomplishment was 3 nine win seasons isn't ready for the Joe comparisons. That is just a simple reality and that is out of respect to Joe, but I doubt you can see that.

Grand experiment never went through sanctions and JUCO's were still used. Sorry times change, but they have for better or worse. If CJF graduates 90% and wins 7-8 games a year for 4-5 years he will be fired. If he wins 10+ a year, MNC, and graduates 60%, he gets a huge raise. I don't care if you don't like it or can't accept it. That is how it works now. You're while hang up is Palmer, but if Joe was the one giving him a ride it would be just fine. He never did anything wrong ever even though he did the same things.

I am a huge fan of Joe, but there is a smaller older group who are complete and utter GD hypocrites when it comes to every other coach. Some things that Joe did himself are taboo for the new coach which is BS. There will not be another Joe Paterno and the new coaches will not probably match what Joe did. That doesn't mean you single out on player for a lack of success. PSU was short 5-7 OL due to the sanctions so that is why they had such depth issues last year. Joe certainly took academic risks. He certainly recruited kids that turned out to be bad eggs. He also helped turn a ton of kids around. Franklin needs to win games and make his own name on and off the field. Hopefully he does. If that means taking JUCO's when needed so be it. So far it's about 2% of his roster and it was the #1 player in a position of need.

PSU fans would never accept a 60% graduation rate.

I don't think anybody is hung up on Palmer. We were just discussing his readiness to step in and make an immediate impact. Yes, Joe took a couple of JUCO kids over the years.

One thing is going to be interesting. I think that Joe would tell a 5th year senior that it's time to move on if he didn't think he would make a contribution on the field during his senior year. But I don't think he ever told that to kids that were going to be juniors and didn't have time to graduate. PSU is heavy with underclassmen and doesn't have as many scholarships available during the next two years. It will be interesting to see which kids are going to leave early to open up some spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
BS, where was the swipe? It must be in your head. sluggo stated that CJF shouldn't use JUCO's even though Joe did. Don't lecture me if you don't know what you're talking about BODE. If Joe did it, than why can't a new HC who was just got off sanctions take a JUCO to a position that was depleted. What I said is a new HC regardless won't be here long if he doesn't win first. You can't keep your job today if you don't win. If you want to deny that or go off on some other rant, have at it. It's a fact in college football today. You don't win and you're out of a job. That kind of kills the Grand Experiment for any HC out there before they even get rolling at PSU. So I think CJF needs to recruit the players he needs to first in order to do that. He's already said the right things about the classroom. His GPA's have been incredible and set records in the spring I believe.

I never once took a shot at Joe, but some of the older fan base needs to let CJF does his thing and make his name. Stop putting him up on Joe's pedestal or doing the GD comparisons to everything Joe did. It's a different time and the circumstances are a bit different when CJF took over. A 3rd year coach who's biggest accomplishment was 3 nine win seasons isn't ready for the Joe comparisons. That is just a simple reality and that is out of respect to Joe, but I doubt you can see that.

My post never mentions CJF nor does it remotely imply he's not doing a good job with the full intention of maintaining PSU's TRADITIONAL COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE & INTEGRITY to the use of bona fide "student-athlete" representatives true to the University's "core mission" and creed. In fact, from everything I've heard Coach Franklin say, he has far more respect for PUS's Tradition, "The Great Joe Paterno" and The Grand Experiment than you do. You first say Paterno had used former JUCO players at the same time as you admit that he had one of best track records in the classroom of any D1-A coach - IOW, the two are not mutually exclusive and you repeatedly contradict yourself in your effort to create strawman arguments via placing words in my mouth that I never spoke. Coach Franklin has repeatedly said that he is committed to honoring the age-old traditions of PSU and none of those traditions speaks louder of PSU's tradition and commitment to success with honor and integrity than The Grand Experiment and I have NO REASON to believe that Coach Franklin is not a "man of substance", his word and his commitments - quite the contrary, unlike yurself, Coach Franklin seems like a "true man of principle", a "true leader" and a great hire with ties to Pennsylvania, PSU and Pennsylvania Football that go back to his childhood.

You absolutely are attempting to "walk on Joseph Vincent Paterno's grave" with your repeated declarations that "The Grand Experiment is dead....blah, blah, blah" bloviating. You don't speak for Coach Franklin or what he "stands for" or "believes in" and you most certainly don't speak for The Pennsylvania State University and her many constituencies - in fact, you're nothing more than an arrogant, pus-filled, bloviating windbag who thinks his proclamations have some gravity to them when they are nothing more than the proclamations of a soulless loudmouth who "believes in nothing and will stand for anything" as a rationalization for his own narcissistic, zero-principle shallow existence.

;);):p:(
My post never mentions CJF nor does it remotely imply he's not doing a good job with the full intention of maintaining PSU's TRADITIONAL COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE & INTEGRITY to the use of bona fide "student-athlete" representatives true to the University's "core mission" and creed. In fact, from everything I've heard Coach Franklin say, he has far more respect for PUS's Tradition, "The Great Joe Paterno" and The Grand Experiment than you do. You first say Paterno had used former JUCO players at the same time as you admit that he had one of best track records in the classroom of any D1-A coach - IOW, the two are not mutually exclusive and you repeatedly contradict yourself in your effort to create strawman arguments via placing words in my mouth that I never spoke. Coach Franklin has repeatedly said that he is committed to honoring the age-old traditions of PSU and none of those traditions speaks louder of PSU's tradition and commitment to success with honor and integrity than The Grand Experiment and I have NO REASON to believe that Coach Franklin is not a "man of substance", his word and his commitments - quite the contrary, unlike yurself, Coach Franklin seems like a "true man of principle", a "true leader" and a great hire with ties to Pennsylvania, PSU and Pennsylvania Football that go back to his childhood.

You absolutely are attempting to "walk on Joseph Vincent Paterno's grave" with your repeated declarations that "The Grand Experiment is dead....blah, blah, blah" bloviating. You don't speak for Coach Franklin or what he "stands for" or "believes in" and you most certainly don't speak for The Pennsylvania State University and her many constituencies - in fact, you're nothing more than an arrogant, pus-filled, bloviating windbag who thinks his proclamations have some gravity to them when they are nothing more than the proclamations of a soulless loudmouth who "believes in nothing and will stand for anything" as a rationalization for his own narcissistic, zero-principle shallow existence.

No, you're reading into something that isn't there. You can grandstand all you want to, but anyone with half a brain knows what I am saying. There was zero disrespect to Joe and in fact it was more complimentary to Joe as Franklin will never Joe. You live in a fantasy land where realistic statements about today's game make you cringe.

For someone who tries to maintain principles, you certainly struggle with simple respect on opinions. You cannot even debate what I said because you know it is the truth. No wins and coach is gone. We all want him to win and win big. There is no issue there. What I replied to was someone saying he shouldn't be taking JUCOs when Joe did. How can you honestly say that is a fair statement. You make so much crap up about what you think people say, you lose your credibility. It's as if you say one lie and can't help yourself from saying 20 more. This idea I'm bashing Joe here is a joke.

This thread is about players making an impact. I know that stuff isn't interesting to you so maybe you should take your tired act elsewhere. You can't even quote me where I said the GE dead you liar. Why do you lie? You apparently don't model yourself after Joe.

Last edited:
PSU fans would never accept a 60% graduation rate.

I don't think anybody is hung up on Palmer. We were just discussing his readiness to step in and make an immediate impact. Yes, Joe took a couple of JUCO kids over the years.

One thing is going to be interesting. I think that Joe would tell a 5th year senior that it's time to move on if he didn't think he would make a contribution on the field during his senior year. But I don't think he ever told that to kids that were going to be juniors and didn't have time to graduate. PSU is heavy with underclassmen and doesn't have as many scholarships available during the next two years. It will be interesting to see which kids are going to leave early to open up some spots.

PSU fans wouldn't accept an annual 7 win season post sanctions either. You don't win and you're out of a job. That is how it works now. You think he wins 7-8 games a year for 4 more years and he still has a job? Only one person was hung up on Palmer as most hope he can make an impact or at least start. He looks night and day bigger from when he arrived. Hope that continues. If he isn't the answer, well than the next man up. Most know why Franklin went there, but one guy doesn't like it. Oh well, that milk is spilt already.

Last edited:
PSU fans wouldn't accept an annual 7 win season post sanctions either. You don't win and you're out of a job. That is how it works now. You think he wins 7-8 games a year for 4 more years and he still has a job? Only one person was hung up on Palmer as most hope he can make an impact. He looks night and day bigger from when he arrived. Hope that continues. If he isn't the answer, well than the next man up. Most know why Franklin went there, but one guy doesn't like it. Oh well, that milk is spilt already.

I think Franklin has another 2 years on his honeymoon. This year we're still reeling from the sanctions and next year we probably lose Hack. I agree that he has to win 9+ games in 2017 & 2018 or he could be in trouble. I doubt that he has to win the B1G. He will, however, have to sustain an 80%+ graduation rate and avoid scandals.

Yes the game has changed. I miss the days when the head football coach earned < $1 million and gave a lot of it back to the school. Joe was one of the few coaches that could withstand 4 consecutive bad years. He built up a lot of goodwill over an extended period to earn that ability.

I hope Palmer can make an immediate impact but I'm skeptical that he can grow physically and improve that fast. We'll see. Barney was a JUCO and he looked pretty good in limited action last year (I wish he'd redshirt because we've got a problem at DT next year).

Here are a few that I'm looking forward to seeing.

1. Sickels as a starter. I think he approaches double digit sacks with the DT's forcing QB's inside out.
2. I hate to list frosh, but the buzz around Barkley is pretty big and he just got there.
3. Allen as a soph at safety. He was hitting pretty damn hard as a frosh and I think he will only get better. He's just got to make sure they keep the laundry in the pocket.
4. Mike G and Adam B "should" give Hack to big athletic mismatches no matter where they line up.
5. All 3 of the RS frosh RB's as all 3 have different skill sets. Allen could be our Sproles type of player. His attitude is second to none.
6. Thompkins (KR and in space). Is he the speed piece this offense has been missing?
7. Haley, Campbell, and Reid . Some talent there, which one steps up and owns that second spot? Who is in on Nickel?

Edited as Lucas is at safety.

I'm going to go the other side and pick Nassib as a breakout player.
I agree about Barkley and add J. Thomas.
Agree about the DB's I think we finally start to see some INT's. As good as our defense was last season they just didnt' get many Turnovers.
I'm also going to pick one of the incoming WR's either Juwan Johnson or Irving Charles. Those guys are too big and too good to sit.

Players I want to see massive improvement from.

The Punter.
Mangiro, his shotgun snaps were all over the place and could be timed with a sundial.
The Kick return units. We need to start getting some of the hidden yardage out of it. and if the kick is in the EZ, just down
the damn thing. I swear our avg. starting position after kickoffs was about the 23.
and Hack I want to see better decision making from him. There were a lot of times last year where he had guys open
underneath and tried to go for the big play.
and some of the coaches, Donovan specifically needs to do a better job.
I hope they let Hack run some of the huddle himself.

I'm going to go the other side and pick Nassib as a breakout player.
I agree about Barkley and add J. Thomas.
Agree about the DB's I think we finally start to see some INT's. As good as our defense was last season they just didnt' get many Turnovers.
I'm also going to pick one of the incoming WR's either Juwan Johnson or Irving Charles. Those guys are too big and too good to sit.

Players I want to see massive improvement from.

The Punter.
Mangiro, his shotgun snaps were all over the place and could be timed with a sundial.
The Kick return units. We need to start getting some of the hidden yardage out of it. and if the kick is in the EZ, just down
the damn thing. I swear our avg. starting position after kickoffs was about the 23.
and Hack I want to see better decision making from him. There were a lot of times last year where he had guys open
underneath and tried to go for the big play.
and some of the coaches, Donovan specifically needs to do a better job.
I hope they let Hack run some of the huddle himself.

I hope they let Hack run with the ball more often.
No idea what we have punting and kicking.
KR cost us games vs. MD & ILL last year. Hope for better.
No opinion on Nassib but somebody has to step up big.
Only 2 RBs will get meaningful carries but 3rd will see some time

;);):p:(

No, you're reading into something that isn't there. You can grandstand all you want to, but anyone with half a brain knows what I am saying. There was zero disrespect to Joe and in fact it was more complimentary to Joe as Franklin will never Joe. You live in a fantasy land where realistic statements about today's game make you cringe.

For someone who tries to maintain principles, you certainly struggle with simple respect on opinions. You cannot even debate what I said because you know it is the truth. No wins and coach is gone. We all want him to win and win big. There is no issue there. What I replied to was someone saying he shouldn't be taking JUCOs when Joe did. How can you honestly say that is a fair statement. You make so much crap up about what you think people say, you lose your credibility. It's as if you say one lie and can't help yourself from saying 20 more. This idea I'm bashing Joe here is a joke.

This thread is about players making an impact. I know that stuff isn't interesting to you so you should take your tired act elsewhere. You can't even quote me where I said the GE dead you liar. Why do you lie? You apparently don't model yourself after Joe.

No dip$hit, this thread is about bona fide PSU STUDENT-athlete REPRESENTATIVES making a contribution. Your continued insinuation and assertion that Coach Franklin needs to use "players" regardless of whether they are bona fide PSU Student Representatives OR clearly fraudulent students who are great athletes and "players" (but not bona fide students and therefore not bona fide "STUDENT-athlete representatives) is rubbish - it is a call to abandon all integrity and honor and prioritize the creeds of the cheater rather than "the champion" (e.g., the only thing that matters is the outcome regardless of how you achieve it....win at all cost regardless of means including pitching honor and integrity out the door....the ends justify the means regardless of means especially where self-interest and shameless, soulless, self-serving justification is involved, etc. ad naseum....).

There is zero evidence that Coach Franklin needs to become a narcissistic, unprincipled, zero-integrity, "sellout" such as yourself - success with honor and integrity via the "old fashion" principle of hard work and applying onesself to excellence in everything we do and getting the absolute most out of ourselves regardless of whether it is on the practice field or in the classroom, because "personal excellence" is all about the inputs - hardwork, dedication, commitment, accountability, self-discipline, humility (e.g., the proper attitude that one can always improve themselves regardless of endeavor), etc.. - it is NOT ABOUT OUTCOMES. Outcomes will take care of themselves if the inputs are correct - focusing on, and attempting to "control" the outcome via manipulation and cheating is the "loser sellouts" creed hence the saying, "Winners never cheat; and, cheaters never win". The Grand Experiment of academic and athetic excellence is not "mutually exclusive" as you would have us believe, nor is their a shred of evidence to support your claim that Coach Franklin believes in prioritizing "success" over "honor and integrity" - not a shred of evidence to support this disgraceful accussation and shot at CJF's character, just your sorry-azz, arrogant "hot air" and gums flapping in the breeze.

Glad to see Bushwood hasn't changed.

McAndrew bans people for calling out weak scheduling by Tim Curley, and calling out disgusting idiots while allowing people like Bushwood, pnnylion and Michael Felli to continue posting.

Neither one adds an ounce to the board or can engage in intelligent debate.

Good job, Tom. Keep at it. You've ruined this board. Keep promoting the tinfoil hat crowd with your "information that you can't share". You're no better.

Glad to see Bushwood hasn't changed.

McAndrew bans people for calling out weak scheduling by Tim Curley, and calling out disgusting idiots while allowing people like Bushwood, pnnylion and Michael Felli to continue posting.

Neither one adds an ounce to the board or can engage in intelligent debate.

Good job, Tom. Keep at it. You've ruined this board. Keep promoting the tinfoil hat crowd with your "information that you can't share". You're no better.

Too funny, rather arrogant of your sorry-azz self to proclaim who adds what to the Board considering it isn't "your forum" and this your FIRST POST. You arrogant, servile, douche-bag BOT-bot drone boot-lickers are a sad, sorry, self-impressed without cause, comical bunch.

Too funny, rather arrogant of your sorry-azz self to proclaim who adds what to the Board considering it isn't "your forum" and this your FIRST POST. You arrogant, servile, douche-bag BOT-bot drone boot-lickers are a sad, sorry, self-impressed without cause, comical bunch.

If you had half of a brain, Bushwood, you'd realize this is far from my first post.

If you had half of a brain, Bushwood, you'd realize this is far from my first post.

Ah well if you had a single brain cell you might realize that the board reflects a each poster's statistics on this board next to their "board handle"....and the statistics published for super-twit "johnsonguy45" is "New Member" and this post I am responding to is your 2nd all-time post. Yea, you've posted her before dumb@ss, that would be your FIRST post - the one I responded to dip$hit.

Glad to hear your a "johnson guy"....can you take your nonsense to the scUM board now?

No dip$hit, this thread is about bona fide PSU STUDENT-athlete REPRESENTATIVES making a contribution. Your continued insinuation and assertion that Coach Franklin needs to use "players" regardless of whether they are bona fide PSU Student Representatives OR clearly fraudulent students who are great athletes and "players" (but not bona fide students and therefore not bona fide "STUDENT-athlete representatives) is rubbish - it is a call to abandon all integrity and honor and prioritize the creeds of the cheater rather than "the champion" (e.g., the only thing that matters is the outcome regardless of how you achieve it....win at all cost regardless of means including pitching honor and integrity out the door....the ends justify the means regardless of means especially where self-interest and shameless, soulless, self-serving justification is involved, etc. ad naseum....).

There is zero evidence that Coach Franklin needs to become a narcissistic, unprincipled, zero-integrity, "sellout" such as yourself - success with honor and integrity via the "old fashion" principle of hard work and applying onesself to excellence in everything we do and getting the absolute most out of ourselves regardless of whether it is on the practice field or in the classroom, because "personal excellence" is all about the inputs - hardwork, dedication, commitment, accountability, self-discipline, humility (e.g., the proper attitude that one can always improve themselves regardless of endeavor), etc.. - it is NOT ABOUT OUTCOMES. Outcomes will take care of themselves if the inputs are correct - focusing on, and attempting to "control" the outcome via manipulation and cheating is the "loser sellouts" creed hence the saying, "Winners never cheat; and, cheaters never win". The Grand Experiment of academic and athetic excellence is not "mutually exclusive" as you would have us believe, nor is their a shred of evidence to support your claim that Coach Franklin believes in prioritizing "success" over "honor and integrity" - not a shred of evidence to support this disgraceful accussation and shot at CJF's character, just your sorry-azz, arrogant "hot air" and gums flapping in the breeze.

I started the thread dope. You really do just make crap up. You're now telling me what this thread is about when it's clear you never read the title or most of the thread. It just goes to show how ignorant you are. Joe would be embarrassed by you, but at least you show everyone how truly delusional you are. Hell, you couldn't talk football here if you had to.

Last edited:
Grand experiment never went through sanctions and JUCO's were still used. Sorry times change, but they have for better or worse. If CJF graduates 90% and wins 7-8 games a year for 4-5 years he will be fired. If he wins 10+ a year, MNC, and graduates 60%, he gets a huge raise. I don't care if you don't like it or can't accept it. That is how it works now. You're while hang up is Palmer, but if Joe was the one giving him a ride it would be just fine. He never did anything wrong ever even though he did the same things.

I am a huge fan of Joe, but there is a smaller older group who are complete and utter GD hypocrites when it comes to every other coach. Some things that Joe did himself are taboo for the new coach which is BS. There will not be another Joe Paterno and the new coaches will not probably match what Joe did. That doesn't mean you single out on player for a lack of success. PSU was short 5-7 OL due to the sanctions so that is why they had such depth issues last year. Joe certainly took academic risks. He certainly recruited kids that turned out to be bad eggs. He also helped turn a ton of kids around. Franklin needs to win games and make his own name on and off the field. Hopefully he does. If that means taking JUCO's when needed so be it. So far it's about 2% of his roster and it was the #1 player in a position of need.

I didn't bring up JVP relative to JUCO players, you did. In fact when JVP brought in JUCO's I said the same thing I am saying here, go back and check. JUCO's belong at bandit schools like Kansas State or Marshall, perhaps the SEC, not classy schools like PSU. JUCO's are like heroine, once you start down that road, its awfully hard to quit. The reason is they leave holes, gaps in recruiting especially if they do not work out.
Go back and look at my original post, all I said was PP needed a break out season. that was it, I justified that statement by saying, if PP has a break out year, PSU will probably be pretty good on offense. If he's a stone wall at LOT, I think we'll have a good season because Hack will have time to throw, we'll run the ball as well. I think the D will be good. If PP doesn't become that stone wall, then where are we left?? Still looking for the LOT, a key on the OL, and perhaps struggles on the OL again. So where does that leave us going into to '16?? Still looking for that LOT.

You need to understand, it's not always about JVP. It took Marshall a long time before they could quit the JUCO stuff, they finally did, and are now building a program for the long run. when SRS leave, they have underclassman step up, and are ready to play because they've been in the program 2-3-4 yrs, they don't have to go look for help to save their jobs. Yes they take non-qualifiers, but they're different than JUCO's. I'll let you guys figure how.

I didn't bring up JVP relative to JUCO players, you did. In fact when JVP brought in JUCO's I said the same thing I am saying here, go back and check. JUCO's belong at bandit schools like Kansas State or Marshall, perhaps the SEC, not classy schools like PSU. JUCO's are like heroine, once you start down that road, its awfully hard to quit. The reason is they leave holes, gaps in recruiting especially if they do not work out.
Go back and look at my original post, all I said was PP needed a break out season. that was it, I justified that statement by saying, if PP has a break out year, PSU will probably be pretty good on offense. If he's a stone wall at LOT, I think we'll have a good season because Hack will have time to throw, we'll run the ball as well. I think the D will be good. If PP doesn't become that stone wall, then where are we left?? Still looking for the LOT, a key on the OL, and perhaps struggles on the OL again. So where does that leave us going into to '16?? Still looking for that LOT.

You need to understand, it's not always about JVP. It took Marshall a long time before they could quit the JUCO stuff, they finally did, and are now building a program for the long run. when SRS leave, they have underclassman step up, and are ready to play because they've been in the program 2-3-4 yrs, they don't have to go look for help to save their jobs. Yes they take non-qualifiers, but they're different than JUCO's. I'll let you guys figure how.

You have to understand it's Franklin's call to make with regards to Palmer. You brought up the Grand Experiment, not me. This was about breakout players, but football talk gets hijacked because some don't like the idea coach isn't rolling his pants up yet. All coaches hit and miss on recruits, but you have been hung up on a JUCO who is a Nitany Lion now. Treat him just the same as his other teammates.

Reactions: johnsonguy45
You have to understand it's Franklin's call to make with regards to Palmer. You brought up the Grand Experiment, not me. This was about breakout players, but football talk gets hijacked because some don't like the idea coach isn't rolling his pants up yet. All coaches hit and miss on recruits, but you have been hung up on a JUCO who is a Nitany Lion now. Treat him just the same as his other teammates.

you're the guy that keeps going back to JVP, you hijacked your own thread, not me, go back and look. In my first post, I was responding to who do I think can have a break out year. All I said, was, I think PP needs to have a break out year. One sentence, one. You are the one that brought up JUCO's not me. You are the one saying CJF needs to win this year or he'll get fired (which I disagree with, I think he has at least 3 seasons most likely 4, but that's not the discussion here), and thus my comment about the Grand Experiment. And as I've stated, it's not PP I am hung up on, it's all JUCO's. The reason is, I don't think PSU needs them, nothing against them as people. And as I have stated, I know it is CJF call to make (go look). But this is an opinion board, and I offered mine. In no way did I hi-jack a football discussion thread, you did that to yourself.

you're the guy that keeps going back to JVP, you hijacked your own thread, not me, go back and look. In my first post, I was responding to who do I think can have a break out year. All I said, was, I think PP needs to have a break out year. One sentence, one. You are the one that brought up JUCO's not me. You are the one saying CJF needs to win this year or he'll get fired (which I disagree with, I think he has at least 3 seasons most likely 4, but that's not the discussion here), and thus my comment about the Grand Experiment. And as I've stated, it's not PP I am hung up on, it's all JUCO's. The reason is, I don't think PSU needs them, nothing against them as people. And as I have stated, I know it is CJF call to make (go look). But this is an opinion board, and I offered mine. In no way did I hi-jack a football discussion thread, you did that to yourself.

Now you are going BODE and making things up. I did not say he would be fired this year. I said he needs to win as you only get 4-5 years as a new HC. Learn to comprehend the overall message.

I hope they let Hack run with the ball more often.
No idea what we have punting and kicking.
KR cost us games vs. MD & ILL last year. Hope for better.
No opinion on Nassib but somebody has to step up big.
Only 2 RBs will get meaningful carries but 3rd will see some time

"Only 2 RBs will get meaningful carries but 3rd will see some time"

.... but then one of them "gets a knee" or "has a shoulder", or fumbles, and suddenly we see the next Curt Warner emerge......

EDIT:
Sorry, I responded to a post on the 1st page, and didn't mean to break into your cat fight......

Last edited:
Now you are going BODE and making things up. I did not say he would be fired this year. I said he needs to win as you only get 4-5 years as a new HC. Learn to comprehend the overall message.
Sorry, when you said, 'They aren't worried about 2017 right now because that is how coaches get fired and they all know this. This isn't triple A for the NFL and the coaches are paid to win now. Franklin gets a bit of a pass due to what he walked into, but that pass is up after this year for the most part. I thought you were concerned about this year, and thus the justification of taking a short term view of building a program. I now learn you have a much longer term view of 2 yrs instead of one ('15 & '16 not worried about '17, his pass being up after this year,), but hey I'll trying to comprehend the overall message, thanks for the lesson!!

After this year which means his 3rd year. I also stated most coaches get 4-5 years, do keep digging. Bottom line all coaches are trying to win now. Only PSU blue hairs get mad at those statements.

After this year which means his 3rd year. I also stated most coaches get 4-5 years, do keep digging. Bottom line all coaches are trying to win now. Only PSU blue hairs get mad at those statements.
as always you are correct..

You are the king of self-serving strawman arguments and tautologies. Could you show me all these coaches that are attempting to lose as much as possible in the current season as well as the next 3 or 4 as a strategy for long-term success (your definition of must urgently win today or else)??? Your over-thought mental diarrhea put forth as some form of sophisticated deep thinking is comically absurd.

Nahhh, coaches don't try to win and keep their jobs. My bad.
You are the king of self-serving strawman arguments and tautologies. Could you show me all these coaches that are attempting to lose as much as possible in the current season as well as the next 3 or 4 as a strategy for long-term success (your definition of must urgently win today or else)??? Your over-thought mental diarrhea put forth as some form of sophisticated deep thinking is comically absurd.

Your next comment relating to the OP will be your first rantman!!!

Nahhh, coaches don't try to win and keep their jobs. My bad.
Really?? Huh I did not know that. Thanks for keeping me up to date. I wonder if that's why coaches say, 'if you aint cheatin', you aint tryin''?? I guess that's why many take short term solutions, like hiring JUCO's to come in for a yr or two, and see if they help. I guess that's why some of those coaches give kids cars, or money to their Dad's church and that sort of thing. Hmmm I did not know. I always thought the reason PSU gave CJF such a long term deal (2019) for such a large amount ( $4 Mil+) was because they wanted to give him time to do things the right way, not take short cuts, not be the NFL. But as you point out he has to win now, although he may not have to win this year, he better win next or he may lose his job??? is that what you are saying?? sure seems that way to me, but thanks for straitening me out.

What part do you not get. Taking a JUCO was his choice to fix a hole this year possibly. It's not a huge risk as the other option was a RS frosh. I stated numerous times big time coaches have 4-5 years to prove them selves or they are out. That is preet much the norm no matter the school. I hope like hell Franklin wins 8-9+ this year. I love his youth and enthusiasm and I expect him to do well going forward. I expect the OL to be better. He's killing it on the recruiting front. Great time to be a PSU fan right now unless you want to piss and moan over him choosing to take a JUCO.

Reactions: royboy
What part do you not get. Taking a JUCO was his choice to fix a hole this year possibly. It's not a huge risk as the other option was a RS frosh. I stated numerous times big time coaches have 4-5 years to prove them selves or they are out. That is preet much the norm no matter the school. I hope like hell Franklin wins 8-9+ this year. I love his youth and enthusiasm and I expect him to do well going forward. I expect the OL to be better. He's killing it on the recruiting front. Great time to be a PSU fan right now unless you want to piss and moan over him choosing to take a JUCO.

what dont you get?? I dont like taking JUCO's. I think PSU should be above that. I get that you think it's a great move, fine move on. I hope PSU( not just Franklin) wins them all !! Not just 9!!!! do you root against them?? But if CJF is killing it in recruiting, why not find the the next Michael Ohr and have him start for 4 yrs?? I didnt say a word in this thread about JUCO's until your brought it up, go check, for the third time.

what dont you get?? I dont like taking JUCO's. I think PSU should be above that. I get that you think it's a great move, fine move on. I hope PSU( not just Franklin) wins them all !! Not just 9!!!! do you root against them?? But if CJF is killing it in recruiting, why not find the the next Michael Ohr and have him start for 4 yrs?? I didnt say a word in this thread about JUCO's until your brought it up, go check, for the third time.

Actually your first post in this thread singled out Palmer only who was the only JUCO brought in last year.

Four year starters are the exception at OL, not the rule. How many true frosh OL started and played all 4 years in the last few decades? Very few and that isn't just at PSU. I don't see CJF making it a habit once he gets the depth back. You saw the product last year and he is trying for a solution. I could see the gripe if he bought in 3-4 last year and had a few this year. That simply is not the case. A wise man once said he would rather start a young player a day late than to early. In this case it may by a RS frosh some more time.

Last edited:
Paris Palmer needs to have a break out year, not just start.

This was my first post of this thread, that was it. You are the one that injected the JUCO conclusions.
I happen to think he is the key to '15 for PSU, the reasons why are in my other post. (of course Hack had to stay healthy)

Paris Palmer needs to have a break out year, not just start.

This was my first post of this thread, that was it. You are the one that injected the JUCO conclusions.
I happen to think he is the key to '15 for PSU, the reasons why are in my other post. (of course Hack had to stay healthy)

Jesus Christ, will you guys give it a rest.

Last edited:
Impact player this year .... the Offensive Line !!

Looking at the class Franklin brought in last and the one this year plus the expected class next year. . Yes, hold him accountable in the next few years to win 9+ each year. That is how it should be, if you have the talent to win 9+ then WIN 9+.
We WILL be that good and do it the right way.

WE ARE !!!!

I sure hope we get to see Saquon Barkley. I don't think Lynch is a very exciting runner and I'm dying to see a real PSU running back again, it's been too long

It will be interesting to see what happens. Besides Barkley we've heard good things about Jonathan Thomas too.
This is the first time since Redd fled that we have some depth and quality at the RB position.
Lynch will have his work cut out for him to remain the starter.
If I were to guess I think we will see Lynch and then a combination of 1 of the other backs.
I would also not be surprised to see any of the RS backs or Barkley used in the kick return unit.

He must be a woman ...... as in my 34 years of marriage, that is the one thing I have learned ...... the woman is always correct and the man is always wrong! Words to "live (survive)" by!

He must be a woman ...... as in my 34 years of marriage, that is the one thing I have learned ...... the woman is always correct and the man is always wrong! Words to "live (survive)" by!

“If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?”

Steven Wright

Jonathan Thomas could be a break out player spelling Lynch. 5'11", 215 lbs. and loves to run over people.

Barkley is also 5'11" 215 with much better speed. Thomas certainly got hyped a bit last year on the scout team for his hits, but size wise, he's right on par with Barkley as of right now. Barkley might actually get up to 220 by the start of the season. With his speed, agility, and vision I really believe he's going to be very good here. Maybe not this year, but I think he'll get his shot to earn time and by mid season, he could easily be the #2 guy IMO.

I think the original post pretty much nailed it with one exception.... Worley. Shoop is a big fan of that kid and he won scout team player of the week an astounding SIX times last year. That's basically 50% of the season he was awarded for being the best player on the scout team. I'm excited about Reid and also Taylor, but I suspect Worley will easily start the season ahead of both on the depth chart.

The other guy I would keep an eye out for is Jarvis Miller at Safety. PSU's depth at Safety certainly leave the door open for him to see some PT. He's probably a guy to watch more for next year, but I think he's a future star at Safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT