ADVERTISEMENT

Players that may make an impact this year.....

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
Here are a few that I'm looking forward to seeing.

1. Sickels as a starter. I think he approaches double digit sacks with the DT's forcing QB's inside out.
2. I hate to list frosh, but the buzz around Barkley is pretty big and he just got there.
3. Allen as a soph at safety. He was hitting pretty damn hard as a frosh and I think he will only get better. He's just got to make sure they keep the laundry in the pocket.
4. Mike G and Adam B "should" give Hack to big athletic mismatches no matter where they line up.
5. All 3 of the RS frosh RB's as all 3 have different skill sets. Allen could be our Sproles type of player. His attitude is second to none.
6. Thompkins (KR and in space). Is he the speed piece this offense has been missing?
7. Haley, Campbell, and Reid . Some talent there, which one steps up and owns that second spot? Who is in on Nickel?

Edited as Lucas is at safety.

Last edited:

1. Sickels as a starter. I think he approaches double digit sacks with the DT's forcing QB's inside out.
2. I hate to list frosh, but the buzz around Barkley is pretty big and he just got there.
3. Allen as a soph at safety. He was hitting pretty damn hard as a frosh and I think he will only get better. He's just got to make sure they keep the laundry in the pocket.
4. Mike G and Adam B "should" give Hack to big athletic mismatches no matter where they line up.
5. All 3 of the RS frosh RB's as all 3 have different skill sets. Allen could be our Sproles type of player. His attitude is second to none.
6. Thompkins (KR and in space). Is he the speed piece this offense has been missing?
7. Haley, T Williams, or Campbell (who ever is opposite Lucas). Some talent there, which one steps up and owns that spot?

I noted in the B/W game that Gescki looked much larger, more athletic. He simply stood out in the offensive huddle and when running. Then I read that he put on a ton of weight, dropped body fat and improved his 40 time. In June it was reported that he is up to 255. I look for a breakout year for him.

My concern is that PSU didn't use the TE's very much last year. I am not sure if it was the o-line, Hack or the new O system. But if I was OC, I'd be putting in plays to get Gesicki the ball...a lot.

I noted in the B/W game that Gescki looked much larger, more athletic. He simply stood out in the offensive huddle and when running. Then I read that he put on a ton of weight, dropped body fat and improved his 40 time. In June it was reported that he is up to 255. I look for a breakout year for him.

My concern is that PSU didn't use the TE's very much last year. I am not sure if it was the o-line, Hack or the new O system. But if I was OC, I'd be putting in plays to get Gesicki the ball...a lot.

I don't think they had much of a chance to use them as the OL was simply that poor and they needed to try and keep Hack upright. Now the interior OL and the RT all have some PT under their belts so we can expect these guys to get used a bit more. They may have to help Palmer out a bit more, but hopefully we'll see them catching some more balls this year. Carter, AB, and Mike G are a pretty damn strong group of TE's.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
As fans we all have a tendency to "think" our guys are the best. I think that is why we have high expectations for the team this year, as high as a 10 win season? Heck, I "expect" the same.
But, we do have REAL issues: on defense, no Hull. on offense, can the receivers get separation (they seem to lack "football quickness"). Special teams, field goals? punting?
AND THE BIG ONE - can a really awful OL be substantially better after losing their best player to the NFL?
On a very positive note we have 6 "easy" games to open the season. That should help us create better depth across the board and give even more time for the OL to improve.
But, be careful we are NOT good enough to look past any team. So, I expect 6-0 but we could lose a couple.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
As fans we all have a tendency to "think" our guys are the best. I think that is why we have high expectations for the team this year, as high as a 10 win season? Heck, I "expect" the same.
But, we do have REAL issues: on defense, no Hull. on offense, can the receivers get separation (they seem to lack "football quickness"). Special teams, field goals? punting?
AND THE BIG ONE - can a really awful OL be substantially better after losing their best player to the NFL?
On a very positive note we have 6 "easy" games to open the season. That should help us create better depth across the board and give even more time for the OL to improve.
But, be careful we are NOT good enough to look past any team. So, I expect 6-0 but we could lose a couple.

Outside of OSU every team we face has some issues somewhere. The OL was very green last year and yes OL's due tend to get better as they get older. They get stronger and smarter as time goes on. Last year PSU had two new OG's, C, and RT. This year they have a new LT, so yes they can be better as a unit this year and they should have a bit more depth. Nobody is looking past any team and the WR's will be fine IMO. Godwin was coming on as a true frosh. Hamilton has plenty of football speed. You also have a whole new batch of frosh plus Thomkins to push these guys. The lack of a running game kind of killed the passing game so if that gets going the separation will come.

OL and kicking game are the biggest concerns. Everything else (assuming health) should be ok. Tough to get a read on anything in the B/W game, but the OL looks like a struggle again. Hopefully, there is improvement and turn into a positive surprise.

7. Haley, T Williams, or Campbell (who ever is opposite Lucas). Some talent there, which one steps up and owns that spot?

Lucas is at Safety along with Allen.

In the secondary, it come down to who will be opposite Williams at CB. As well as who the 5th and 6th DB's that play will be. I believe Reid will be in the mix as well.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Lucas is at Safety along with Allen.

In the secondary, it come down to who will be opposite Williams at CB. As well as who the 5th and 6th DB's that play will be. I believe Reid will be in the mix as well.

You have to love the safety position on paper this year. I have it in my head Lucas is still a CB for some reason. Lucas and Allen are a pretty big step up in terms of what has been back there for years. Williams seems to make plays or is near the ball every time he plays. While this D will miss Hull, I think the DL and secondary will be pretty damn good. Who ever steps in for Hull is lucky as he has two All BT DT's sitting right in front of him.

7. Haley, Campbell, and Reid . Some talent there, which one steps up and owns that second spot? Who is in on Nickel?

Jonathan Thomas could be a break out player spelling Lynch. 5'11", 215 lbs. and loves to run over people.

1. Only one freshman or RS freshman will get significant reps at RB unless Lynch gets hurt. We'll have to wait to see which one. Another might play on special teams.

2, A couple from Sorrell, Writh, Beh, Palmer will have to step uo on the OL.

3. We'll count on Gesicki & Brenneman but I think you're optimistic to think they'll create huge mismatches for all opponents. The top schools have recruited as well as or better than us. This is probably the last chance for Wilkerson.

4. Two DEs from Sickels, Nassib, Brown, Cothran, & Schwan have to step up. It's a complete unknown. You're getting ahead of yourself saying that Sickels will get 10 sacks.

5. Campbell & Allen have already showed that they can play. Not as convinced about Haley and Reid might not be ready.

Let me add a couple:
  • Julius at K
  • We need to pick a punter
  • We need 2-3 LBs to step up (Cabinda, Kline, Farmer, Reeder). This is probably Wooten's last chance.

just checked on Barkley...wow, lifted 315 six times, up to 217 lbs and ran a 4.47 forty? Looking forward to watching him play.

3. We'll count on Gesicki & Brenneman but I think you're optimistic to think they'll create huge mismatches for all opponents. The top schools have recruited as well as or better than us. This is probably the last chance for Wilkerson.

Understand some of your points, but I think you're under-rating strength at TE. Carter, Gesicki, and Breneman -- that's some serious talent compared to any program.

Reactions: Hotshoe and BBrown
1. Only one freshman or RS freshman will get significant reps at RB unless Lynch gets hurt. We'll have to wait to see which one. Another might play on special teams.

4. Two DEs from Sickels, Nassib, Brown, Cothran, & Schwan have to step up. It's a complete unknown. You're getting ahead of yourself saying that Sickels will get 10 sacks.

5. Campbell & Allen have already showed that they can play. Not as convinced about Haley and Reid might not be ready.

Let me add a couple:
  • Julius at K
  • We need 2-3 LBs to step up (Cabinda, Kline, Farmer, Reeder). This is probably Wooten's last chance.

Actually I said Sickels will approach double digit sacks and I think he will. I've seen lesser DE's scrape up sacks when DT's are dominant as QB's roll into the DE's. We'll see if I'm right later on this year.

Let me add a couple:
  • Julius at K

1. There wii be carries availab

Let me add a couple:
  • Julius at K
1. More than 1 freshman RB (true or R.S.) will get carries this year behind Lynch. And given that the true freshman may be brought along more slowly, one or both of the true frosh could win playing time (away from one or more of the RS kids) as the season goes on. And if Lynch were to go down, CJF would likely go to the most talented RB on the roster for the majorityof carries and that may be a true frosh. The other potential for contribution by the 5 freshman backs may be returning kicks. We have been pathetic at returning kickoffs for years, and I envision Barkley being in the mold of Blair Thomas when he was a freshman. Maybe too optimistic, but we will see.
2. You missed Brosnan and I believe you meant Wright. I see potential for a couple of these young OL kids to in deed step up. Wright has been practicing at Guard and he is one big Guard, as well as being a year older due to his year at prep school. Palmer looked considerably bigger at LFL. The potential is there to have a developing and more than adequate OL given the skill of the reset of the O. The kids returning all are stronger and have experience going for them. But it's easy to be skeptical based upon last years performance.
3. I don't think it's optimism to believe our TE's will have an impact on offense. Carter was very good from his freshman year. Gesicki is a physical freek for the position, and Brenneman was turning into a top TE before his injury (remember the Wisky game?). But TE's can only do so much in the passing game. Their contribution will be equally judged by their ability to improve as blockers and help the running game, and as they are each bigger and stronger the potential is there for that to happen. JJ, now with the Steelers, was not a great blocker and improvement from JJ's performance is not a stretch at all.
4. Nassib and Sickels are the starters as of now. Nassib is a huge DE by PSU standards who will have no trouble being better against the run in comparison to last year's DE's, who were weak against the run vs. the better teams. Sickels is a talent and anyone who watched his production in limited snaps last year will not have trouble projecting him as a more than capable replacement for the two average DE's that started last year. And it is reported that the 3 backups (Schwan, Brown, and Cothran) have talent and have gotten stronger. I would not be surprised to see one of the true frosh DE's play if one shows a good ability to get to the QB in practice. Lots of weapons at DE. A kid like Carter may play DE and DT, just like Zettel did as a RS frosh.
5. Haley has the tools (speed and strength) to be a nice CB. Yes he is light on experience. Reid was deemed by most to be the more ready CB of any we have had come into the program in the last 10 years. In my opinion the only way he redshirts is if he gets injured or if the Smiths or others have improved dramatically in coverage, or if he gets beat out by Taylor (the other 4 star freshman CB). Plenty of talent at CB to have an elite secondary by mid season.
6. At LB, Kline does not need to step up from his previous play as he was at times the best PSU LB on the field when healthy, and Hull was on the field at that time as well. He just needs to stay healthy. Cabinda looked very good as a true freshman so why would we not believe he will improve and make a run at even more playing time this year. Baring injuries there is plenty of talent in the top 4 LB's (Bell, Warman, Kline, and Cabinda) to allow Farmer, Reed, and maybe a true frosh to develop during our weak non conference schedule and contribute to an exceptional 2-deep at LB. I have not seen Wooten do much in the opportunities he has gotten and agree he may be in his last year at PSU - but comments by Hull and others lead me to believe there is a chance he could surprise this year. I just have not seen it.....

Actually I said Sickels will approach double digit sacks and I think he will. I've seen lesser DE's scrape up sacks when DT's are dominant as QB's roll into the DE's. We'll see if I'm right later on this year.

Really, really intrigued by Sickels. Have been since he committed. IIRC, his commitment just sort of came out on a Sunday evening. Virtually no fanfare. I liked him immediately. I just have a feeling he's going to be a really good football player. Maybe not a lot of flash, but just someone who is always where he should be and makes every play he should. And some that he shouldn't. Not too high of expectations for him, huh? :)

Really, really intrigued by Sickels. Have been since he committed. IIRC, his commitment just sort of came out on a Sunday evening. Virtually no fanfare. I liked him immediately. I just have a feeling he's going to be a really good football player. Maybe not a lot of flash, but just someone who is always where he should be and makes every play he should. And some that he shouldn't. Not too high of expectations for him, huh? :)[/QUOTE
1. There wii be carries availab

1. More than 1 freshman RB (true or R.S.) will get carries this year behind Lynch. And given that the true freshman may be brought along more slowly, one or both of the true frosh could win playing time (away from one or more of the RS kids) as the season goes on. And if Lynch were to go down, CJF would likely go to the most talented RB on the roster for the majorityof carries and that may be a true frosh. The other potential for contribution by the 5 freshman backs may be returning kicks. We have been pathetic at returning kickoffs for years, and I envision Barkley being in the mold of Blair Thomas when he was a freshman. Maybe too optimistic, but we will see.
2. You missed Brosnan and I believe you meant Wright. I see potential for a couple of these young OL kids to in deed step up. Wright has been practicing at Guard and he is one big Guard, as well as being a year older due to his year at prep school. Palmer looked considerably bigger at LFL. The potential is there to have a developing and more than adequate OL given the skill of the reset of the O. The kids returning all are stronger and have experience going for them. But it's easy to be skeptical based upon last years performance.
3. I don't think it's optimism to believe our TE's will have an impact on offense. Carter was very good from his freshman year. Gesicki is a physical freek for the position, and Brenneman was turning into a top TE before his injury (remember the Wisky game?). But TE's can only do so much in the passing game. Their contribution will be equally judged by their ability to improve as blockers and help the running game, and as they are each bigger and stronger the potential is there for that to happen. JJ, now with the Steelers, was not a great blocker and improvement from JJ's performance is not a stretch at all.
4. Nassib and Sickels are the starters as of now. Nassib is a huge DE by PSU standards who will have no trouble being better against the run in comparison to last year's DE's, who were weak against the run vs. the better teams. Sickels is a talent and anyone who watched his production in limited snaps last year will not have trouble projecting him as a more than capable replacement for the two average DE's that started last year. And it is reported that the 3 backups (Schwan, Brown, and Cothran) have talent and have gotten stronger. I would not be surprised to see one of the true frosh DE's play if one shows a good ability to get to the QB in practice. Lots of weapons at DE. A kid like Carter may play DE and DT, just like Zettel did as a RS frosh.
5. Haley has the tools (speed and strength) to be a nice CB. Yes he is light on experience. Reid was deemed by most to be the more ready CB of any we have had come into the program in the last 10 years. In my opinion the only way he redshirts is if he gets injured or if the Smiths or others have improved dramatically in coverage, or if he gets beat out by Taylor (the other 4 star freshman CB). Plenty of talent at CB to have an elite secondary by mid season.
6. At LB, Kline does not need to step up from his previous play as he was at times the best PSU LB on the field when healthy, and Hull was on the field at that time as well. He just needs to stay healthy. Cabinda looked very good as a true freshman so why would we not believe he will improve and make a run at even more playing time this year. Baring injuries there is plenty of talent in the top 4 LB's (Bell, Warman, Kline, and Cabinda) to allow Farmer, Reed, and maybe a true frosh to develop during our weak non conference schedule and contribute to an exceptional 2-deep at LB. I have not seen Wooten do much in the opportunities he has gotten and agree he may be in his last year at PSU - but comments by Hull and others lead me to believe there is a chance he could surprise this year. I just have not seen it.....

It appears to be "ALL" about the OL. If they are just OK we will win a lot of games :)

I think the most important positions we need guys to step up at are the O-Line, which I believe they will based upon what I saw toward the end of last season, an off-season of getting stronger, and another year in the system; and the kicking game. I think Liebel will eventually wind up being the guy punting for us this season. On the line, I think Noah Beh may be the RS frosh to surprise and I also think Mahon will have a breakout year.

Wartman-White will capably fill the middle this season. I'm not saying he'll be Mike Hull, but I'm feeling confident the drop-off won't be quite as dramatic as some may believe.

I don't agree that only 1 RS frosh or true frosh will see pt at RB (unless Lynch gets hurt). Nowadays, teams use 2 as "starters" and I think we'll then see 2 others get pt as circumstances permit. I suspect Barkley will be the no. 2 guy (eventually) with Thomas and Scott also seeing the field a lot this season.

The guys I'm most interested in seeing this year are Reeder and Farmer at LB. The team speed on D will be very good, imo, and guys like Farmer will only add to that.

Breakout players this year--

1. Adam Breneman... I don't think we've really seen what all he is capable of, I expect we will this season

2. The DEs as a whole... we lost our 2 starters but I expect Nassib, Sickles, Cothran, Brown and Schwan to step up. I also would not be surprised to see one of the true frosh get some meaningful pt at DE this season.

3. Robby Lievbel... as I said above, I think he's going to be our punter.

4. Coa Farmer... filling that "star" position, he'll add speed to what I believe will be a solid defense this upcoming season.

5. CBs in general... Williams and Campbell are hte likely starters- guys like Haley, Worlie and the 2 frosh will provide young but talented depth.

6. Mr. Barkley at RB... arguably the next great RB at Penn State, I antiipate a nice start to his PSU career and I think he'll provide us with glimpses of what to expect over his career this upcoming season.

7. Mahon on the offensive line...he was highly touted out of HS, went through some growing pains last season but will step up and do a nice job on our improved offensive line in 2015.

Man, can't wait until this season starts already!

just checked on Barkley...wow, lifted 315 six times, up to 217 lbs and ran a 4.47 forty? Looking forward to watching him play.
I'm on the Barkley bandwagon because he is physically ready, has the desire and seems to be well rounded already. I was really impressed that he ran excellent routes and caught the ball so well on film too. One caveat - will he be able to block well enough?

I'm on the Barkley bandwagon because he is physically ready, has the desire and seems to be well rounded already. I was really impressed that he ran excellent routes and caught the ball so well on film too. One caveat - will he be able to block well enough?

One never knows (about blocking ability). A) most of these high end RB were never asked to block before. B) Its a new system, probably only the second system they've ever seen and C) kids are much more physical than they are used to.

DC's, seeing a frosh RB in a passing situation, will blitz 9 times out of ten to see if he picks it up. So, if he does get time, you'll see quickly if he can block. He should be up to 220+ by playing time so that's good size.

Reactions: mn78psu83
How will we know if the OL is any better? When we see the OL pushing people back on a 3rd and 1. Last year on such a play the OL was pushed into the backfield.
I am super excited for the season to start. AND right out of the gate the OL will be tested by what appears to be a really good Temple defense. I know it's Temple, but we can't take ANY team lightly !!!
Plus Vegas has us as a 4 point pick. Either they know something or they know nothing. 4 points is almost a tossup.

How will we know if the OL is any better? When we see the OL pushing people back on a 3rd and 1. Last year on such a play the OL was pushed into the backfield.
I am super excited for the season to start. AND right out of the gate the OL will be tested by what appears to be a really good Temple defense. I know it's Temple, but we can't take ANY team lightly !!!
Plus Vegas has us as a 4 point pick. Either they know something or they know nothing. 4 points is almost a tossup.

When you see something that slightly resembles a running game.

Paris Palmer needs to have a break out year, not just start.

Why just him...oh wait, he's a JUCO so a different set of rules I guess. Did Mangiro or any starter not named Smith have a breakout season last year in their first year? Not as far as I'm concerned. I just hope Palmer can get better each week as he's still making a big jump from JUCO to D1. Hopefully by week 5-6 he has some feet under him and the returning experience along the OL and at TE can help him get there.

I expect our kicking game to be atrocious. Hack will probably lead the team in punting stats.

Why just him...oh wait, he's a JUCO so a different set of rules I guess. Did Mangiro or any starter not names Smith have a breakout season last year in their first year? Not as far as I'm concerned. I just hope Palmer can get better each week as he's still making a big jump from JUCO to D1. Hopefully by week 5-6 he has some feet under him and the returning experience along the OL and at TE can help him get there.
everything you say is true, the difference is in the interpretation. If he comes in and merely plays, then 2 things, it means we are really hurting as none of our present guys were good enough to beat him out, which would be telling, and maybe doesn't bode well for PSU 2) if that's the case we should have gone with a HS kid, that has 4 to play 5.
Now if PP breaks out that's a good thing for you and PSU. 1) you can laugh at me 2) it means the OL has gotten a lot better, and if that's the case the Offense will be a lot better. PSU has a good year and everyone is happy.
If they kid comes in and is really a player, PSU made a good decision, if he comes in and is meh, PSU might want to re evaluate his situation .

everything you say is true, the difference is in the interpretation. If he comes in and merely plays, then 2 things, it means we are really hurting as none of our present guys were good enough to beat him out, which would be telling, and maybe doesn't bode well for PSU 2) if that's the case we should have gone with a HS kid, that has 4 to play 5.
Now if PP breaks out that's a good thing for you and PSU. 1) you can laugh at me 2) it means the OL has gotten a lot better, and if that's the case the Offense will be a lot better. PSU has a good year and everyone is happy.
If they kid comes in and is really a player, PSU made a good decision, if he comes in and is meh, PSU might want to re evaluate his situation .

Actually in the real world the coaches will play the best person this year regardless as they are paid 4-5 million dollars to win games now. They aren't worried about 2017 right now because that is how coaches get fired and they all know this. This isn't triple A for the NFL and the coaches are paid to win now. Franklin gets a bit of a pass due to what he walked into, but that pass is up after this year for the most part. The decision was made already as he is on campus and probably will be the #1 coming into the season, but you never know. If not, Nelson will slide to LT and they will shuffle AM to RT or find another one.

PSU isn't recruiting a ton of JUCO's and the depth situation warranted it because like I stated above coaches are paid to win now and not 3 years from now. I don't care whether a player is a JUCO or not, that is your hangup as I'm confident this staff will try and get the best 5 out there. They will play the best person on their roster to win games. There is no cheerleading for HS kids versus JUCO's on a staff.

Last edited:
LT is between Palmer and Surrell (sp?). I don't care much which one gets the nod, just so long as he's ready. I would think Chance is in a better position simply because he's spent one year in the system. If all things are equal, I'd rather see Franklin go with the younger guy. It's rare for a freshman or RS frosh to start but there are exceptions (see Nelson last season).

Here's my starting line going into the Temple game:
RT: Surrell
RG: Mahon
C: Mangiro
RG: Gaia
RT: Nelson

4 out of the 5 played significantly or started last season- if whoever starts at LT can simply hold his own, nothing spectacular, we should see overall improvement... but that's the big question, isn't it?

Yes agree, especially about Gescki, probably the hardest matchup for a secondary is a big, strong, fast, ultra-athletic TE - and not just in college, true in the pros as well, just look at Gronk. He's unstoppable because if you try to bring in a 3rd shutdown corner to cover him, that type of TE will typically just dominate this type of defender and well thrown passes to points where the coverage just can't get at the ball, but the TE can will consistently work. If you try to matchup in "size" and "strength" using a SS or OLB to match up, they just don't have the coverage skills in the open field, especially on downfield patterns.

No one is talking about Riener on the OL. 5th year interior linemen that could win Center or Guard spot and add experience to the OL.

Reactions: BBrown
LT is between Palmer and Surrell (sp?). I don't care much which one gets the nod, just so long as he's ready. I would think Chance is in a better position simply because he's spent one year in the system. If all things are equal, I'd rather see Franklin go with the younger guy. It's rare for a freshman or RS frosh to start but there are exceptions (see Nelson last season).

Here's my starting line going into the Temple game:
RT: Surrell
RG: Mahon
C: Mangiro
RG: Gaia
RT: Nelson

4 out of the 5 played significantly or started last season- if whoever starts at LT can simply hold his own, nothing spectacular, we should see overall improvement... but that's the big question, isn't it?
Palmer looked horrible in the BW game. Franklin talked about how much strength/weight he had to add. I'm not sure he can do that in just a few months.

Palmer looked horrible in the BW game. Franklin talked about how much strength/weight he had to add. I'm not sure he can do that in just a few months.

Go back and look at the pictures from Lift For Life. He already has a great start on getting to the 305 lb, and increased strength, that CJF said was the goal by Fall camp.....

Actually in the real world the coaches will play the best person this year regardless as they are paid 4-5 million dollars to win games now. They aren't worried about 2017 right now because that is how coaches get fired and they all know this. This isn't triple A for the NFL and the coaches are paid to win now.
So much for the Grand Experent I guess!!! Seeing how PSU is on the hook w CJF for around $16 mil for 4 yrs, I guess he could go 0-24 the next 2 yrs and still couldn't get fired!!! My God he has time to build, this isn't the NFL!! He doesn't have to mortgage the future but it is his decsion to make. At the end of the day, if PP is a player PSU has a great season and if he isn't player 1 of 2 things, 1) PSU found someone better on the roster or 2) PSU didn't have a very good season and back to the drawing board contract below

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/James_Franklin_Financial_Terms.pdf

So much for the Grand Experent I guess!!! Seeing how PSU is on the hook w CJF for around $16 mil for 4 yrs, I guess he could go 0-24 the next 2 yrs and still couldn't get fired!!! My God he has time to build, this isn't the NFL!! He doesn't have to mortgage the future but it is his decsion to make. At the end of the day, if PP is a player PSU has a great season and if he isn't player 1 of 2 things, 1) PSU found someone better on the roster or 2) PSU didn't have a very good season and back to the drawing board contract below

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/James_Franklin_Financial_Terms.pdf

Grand experiment never went through sanctions and JUCO's were still used. Sorry times change, but they have for better or worse. If CJF graduates 90% and wins 7-8 games a year for 4-5 years he will be fired. If he wins 10+ a year, MNC, and graduates 60%, he gets a huge raise. I don't care if you don't like it or can't accept it. That is how it works now. You're while hang up is Palmer, but if Joe was the one giving him a ride it would be just fine. He never did anything wrong ever even though he did the same things.

I am a huge fan of Joe, but there is a smaller older group who are complete and utter GD hypocrites when it comes to every other coach. Some things that Joe did himself are taboo for the new coach which is BS. There will not be another Joe Paterno and the new coaches will not probably match what Joe did. That doesn't mean you single out on player for a lack of success. PSU was short 5-7 OL due to the sanctions so that is why they had such depth issues last year. Joe certainly took academic risks. He certainly recruited kids that turned out to be bad eggs. He also helped turn a ton of kids around. Franklin needs to win games and make his own name on and off the field. Hopefully he does. If that means taking JUCO's when needed so be it. So far it's about 2% of his roster and it was the #1 player in a position of need.

Last edited:

Are you jealous of his contract? I couldn't care less how much he makes, and I'm thrilled that we got a coach that will turn over every stone to find the best players and build the best team he can, WITHIN THE RULES OF THE NCAA, just as JoePa did (i.e. just like Joe's Grand Experiment). He is not mortgaging anything by using a scholarship on a highly rated JUCO OT that may fill the biggest positional need on his team. He has time, but he's not wasting it. Instead he's working around the clock to solve build the roster and a team that will compete of B10 championships.

Reactions: m48tank
Grand experiment never went through sanctions and JUCO's were still used. Sorry times change, but they have for better or worse. If CJF graduates 90% and wins 7-8 games a year for 4-5 years he will be fired. If he wins 10+ a year, MNC, and graduates 60%, he gets a huge raise. I don't care if you don't like it or can't accept it. That is how it works now. You're while hang up is Palmer, but if Joe was the one giving him a ride it would be just fine. He never did anything wrong ever even though he did the same things.

If we ever have a program that graduates 60% then I'm done and MOST of "WE ARE" are done!! Winning a MNC with such a program is VERY hollow. I would NEVER want to be OSU or the like.
I believe WE ARE different. Not perfect but different :)

If we ever have a program that graduates 60% then I'm done and MOST of "WE ARE" are done!! Winning a MNC with such a program is VERY hollow. I would NEVER want to be OSU or the like.
I believe WE ARE different. Not perfect but different :)

There very well could be many like you, but the program won't fold. The point was the HC's from here on out will keep their jobs if they win. All of the PC crap can be shoveled around, but it is the reality of football today. Thankfully CJF is doing well in the classroom thus far. Now he needs to get back on top on the field.

Are you jealous of his contract? I couldn't care less how much he makes, and I'm thrilled that we got a coach that will turn over every stone to find the best players and build the best team he can, WITHIN THE RULES OF THE NCAA, just as JoePa did (i.e. just like Joe's Grand Experiment). He is not mortgaging anything by using a scholarship on a highly rated JUCO OT that may fill the biggest positional need on his team. He has time, but he's not wasting it. Instead he's working around the clock to solve build the roster and a team that will compete of B10 championships.

Deleted - posted to wrong msg.

Last edited:

Since when did you become PSU's Athletic Director or set what standards are, or should be, for The Pennsylvania State University's many Head Coaches? What a bunch of arrogant drivel - BTW a PSU Head Coach like Cael Sanderson demonstrates that these two goals of producing world-class National Chapionship caliber athletes in the most physically demanding sports while performing in the classroom is NOT a mutually-exclusive endeavor. You really are an arrogant, bloviating piece of work who takes every chance he gets to take unwarranted, classless swipes at an honorable and great man who has passed this earth - you truly are a douche, but sadly mistaken in your belief that you are the spokesman for the PSU Community, what it stands for and what it believes in.

Reactions: psengr82
Since when did you become PSU's Athletic Director or set what standards are, or should be, for The Pennsylvania State University's many Head Coaches? What a bunch of arrogant drivel - BTW a PSU Head Coach like Cael Sanderson demonstrates that these two goals of producing world-class National Championship caliber athletes in the most physically demanding sports while performing in the classroom is NOT a mutually-exclusive endeavor. You really are an arrogant, bloviating piece of work who takes every chance he gets to take unwarranted, classless swipes at an honorable and great man who has passed this earth - you truly are a douche, but sadly mistaken in your belief that you are the spokesman for the PSU Community, what it stands for and what it believes in.

You should learn to read. I wrote nothing of the sort. My comments had nothing to do with maintaining academic excellence, which I support completely - what Joe accomplished, as well as the standards that CJF has set for academics and player behavior..

What I was saying was that I couldn't care less how much CJF makes. PSU spent what it took to hire a great coach and his staff. CJF is aggressively assembling a talented team, as he said he would on the evening his hiring was announced.

I took no swipes at anyone, but you are the one that comes on strong with the unwarranted criticism. Read the words for what they are, and not for you pleasure in interpreting them so you can make an a$$ of yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT