ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Wrestling Stats

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
I wanted to create this thread so that it can be a centralized resource for wrestling stats (with a focus on Penn State) and a place for people to add additional information.

Penn State Wrestling team site > Click Here
Current season stats and archived stats back to 2007-08 can be accessed here.

Penn State Wrestling Club > Click Here
There's a wealth of historical information here that goes back to the beginning of Penn State wrestling.

Wrestlestat > Click Here
@andegre has created a masterpiece for wrestling stat nerds with information for all D1 programs going back to the 2013/14 season.

@LemonPie has also done some great work with Penn State wrestling stats over the years and has shared the info through Google sheets. These can be found in various places on this board (just do a search on stats & lemonpie).

Wow, RBY had about 22% of the teams TD’s and he only had 4 less than what our entire team gave up to their opponents, ironically the same number he gave up. If he hadn’t given up a TD he would have matched what the entire team gave up.

Reactions: hlstone
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm reviving this one. The base data comes from Alex Steen's article <link> on The Open Mat listing the top 200 scoring wrestlers through the 2017/2018 season. On my version I included the top 50 and updated the list with Nolf and Nickal and the wrestlers this season who could break into the top 50. I also added a column for # of titles.

Top 50 NCAA tournament wrestlers

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm reviving this one. The base data comes from Alex Steen's article <link> on The Open Mat listing the top 200 scoring wrestlers through the 2017/2018 season. On my version I included the top 50 and updated the list with Nolf and Nickal and the wrestlers this season who could break into the top 50. I also added a column for # of titles.

I find myself frequently looking for this. Thank you!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Interesting that Yianni only has 2 bonus points at NCAA's. He scored Major Decisions in his first two tournament bouts as a Freshman in 2018, and hasn't sniffed a bonus point since.

Thanks for posting this excellent reference.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Interesting that Yianni only has 2 bonus points at NCAA's. He scored Major Decisions in his first two tournament bouts as a Freshman in 2018, and hasn't sniffed a bonus point since.

Thanks for posting this excellent reference.
He did sniff a bonus point since then -- had a 9-2 win. Just didn't get it.

He had strong brackets in 2019 and 2022. McKenna, Eierman, Demas, Red, Lovett, Sasso, Murin. Still, 3 opponents he should've bonused and did not.

Reactions: royboy

Most of you have probably used this site but it’s a great history/ statistical site for PA high school wrestling.

There is a wrestler search that is especially complete for the last decade. See each year’s record, state placement, match by match results, etc.

Also has an all-time win list, high school team pages, district pages, state championship brackets, etc.

Click on “Main Menu” in top left of home page to easily navigate to where you want to go.

With a 5th year, Starocci has a real chance at #1. Fix could be a 5 time 2nd placer and be #1.
There could be additions to the list with an asterisk for the Covid year. Also did the Covid year keep anyone off the list? CStar said at the banquet he was not staying for 5 but time will tell.

There could be additions to the list with an asterisk for the Covid year. Also did the Covid year keep anyone off the list? CStar said at the banquet he was not staying for 5 but time will tell.

Great question. Our guys got hosed the most. Cenzo had 62 points and Hall had 60 points going into 2020. 2nd place finishes would've put them right on the edge of the top 50. 1st place finishes would've definetly got them in. If Hall matched his freshman year with 22.5 points, he would've ended up at 30th in a tie with IMar. Joseph got 23 and 21 in his championship runs so lets add 22 for him. That would've got him to 28th. Kolin Moore had 51 points. He would've needed a 1st place finish with a lot of bonus.

Reactions: creamery freak

I updated the scoring list at the link above. Spencer Lee finishes at #18. Yianni, despite being a 4 timer, because of his lack of bonus points finishes at #30. I also added at the bottom the list of wrestlers that can break into the top 50 next year.

I was totally wrong. I thought Keegan was a sophomore. I edited my nonsense

I was totally wrong. I thought Keegan was a sophomore. I edited my nonsense

He has sophomore, now going onto junior eligibility. He has a free covid year like CStar so he can have two more tourneys and end up at the top of the list (with an * by his name).

Reactions: zzs006
I think that was his 3rd NCAA tournament...
I went back and looked at the 2021 165 bracket he was in. Interesting looking back and seeing a lot of big names. Peyton Robb was at 165 that year. Joe Lee was the PSU rep. Amine beat Kennedy Monday first round and of course Marinelli lost in the quarterfinals. Keegan was undefeated coming in as a freshman but ended up 3rd

Reactions: BoHunter0210
I updated the scoring list at the link above. Spencer Lee finishes at #18. Yianni, despite being a 4 timer, because of his lack of bonus points finishes at #30. I also added at the bottom the list of wrestlers that can break into the top 50 next year.
8 guys on the list that are part of the NLWC.
If DT was a 4 timer, he'd still be ½ point behind Cael.

Reactions: danoftw

Alright everyone, I added more info. NCAA placement each season, weight class each season, Career W/L record, Career W/L % and home state.

In 13 national tournaments under Cael PSU has put 5 into the finals 8 times!! In all 13 years PSU has had at least 1 finalist. 5 in the finals is unbelievable but doing it 8 times in 13 years is mind boggling
6 out of the last seven tournaments have had 5 PSU finalists on Saturday night and the other had four! Cael will beat you with Five Guys…

I forget which thread and who posted it but there was a video link discussing Penn State's excellent winning % in finals matches compared to other schools. This gave me the idea to dig a little deeper. The base data from 2012 through 2023 comes from the Penn State Wrestling Club website. 2010 and 2011 came from other sources. In the spreadsheet below, you'll find the following:

>NCAA tournament team scores during the Cael Era. You'll see a few different tiers with obviously Penn State at the top by themselves and Iowa, a clear 2nd. For cells that are blank, that means either the school didn't have any NCAA qualifiers or the school didn't have a D1 team.

>The All-American totals during the Cael Era. Note how close behind Iowa is to Penn State in the total number of AAs. I added a column for % of AAs that finished 1st or 2nd. Penn State's % of high placing AAs is impressive.

>The win-lose and % columns is for final AA matches. I wanted to see who was finishing the tournament on a win (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th). We already know about Penn State's impressive championship match %, their 3rd, 5th and 7th place win %s are just as impressive.

>The last columns, I was just playing around with the stats a little bit. You'll see the placement points and advancement points for the AA wrestlers. Note, the advancement points aren't perfect. A wrestler who loses his first match and then finishes as an AA loses .5 advancement points.

(Here's a link to view the below better: link )

I forget which thread and who posted it but there was a video link discussing Penn State's excellent winning % in finals matches compared to other schools. This gave me the idea to dig a little deeper. The base data from 2012 through 2023 comes from the Penn State Wrestling Club website. 2010 and 2011 came from other sources. In the spreadsheet below, you'll find the following:

>NCAA tournament team scores during the Cael Era. You'll see a few different tiers with obviously Penn State at the top by themselves and Iowa, a clear 2nd. For cells that are blank, that means either the school didn't have any NCAA qualifiers or the school didn't have a D1 team.

>The All-American totals during the Cael Era. Note how close behind Iowa is to Penn State in the total number of AAs. I added a column for % of AAs that finished 1st or 2nd. Penn State's % of high placing AAs is impressive.

>The win-lose and % columns is for final AA matches. I wanted to see who was finishing the tournament on a win (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th). We already know about Penn State's impressive championship match %, their 3rd, 5th and 7th place win %s are just as impressive.

>The last columns, I was just playing around with the stats a little bit. You'll see the placement points and advancement points for the AA wrestlers. Note, the advancement points aren't perfect. A wrestler who loses his first match and then finishes as an AA loses .5 advancement points.

(Here's a link to view the below better: link )

Thanks a lot for the effort!! There were a few interesting numbers on there.

Any stats for team takedowns by year by team for the past decade? It will be interesting to speculate about the positive impact the three point takedown will have on certain teams.

Reactions: mcpat
Any stats for team takedowns by year by team for the past decade? It will be interesting to speculate about the positive impact the three point takedown will have on certain teams.

Not that I know of. That would be quite a bit of data to collect. And it would be immensely time consuming to collect.

Penn State keeps excellent records for dual meets that include takedown data and they keep data archived all the way back to 07/08. So it wouldnt be that difficult to compile just for Penn State. Other schools are another story. For example, Iowa posts some good stats from last season but they don't post takedown data and they don't post archived season stats.

Also, keep in mind, it would be only dual meet data. Tournament data is not tracked at nearly the same detail at the school level.

Not that I know of. That would be quite a bit of data to collect. And it would be immensely time consuming to collect.

Penn State keeps excellent records for dual meets that include takedown data and they keep data archived all the way back to 07/08. So it wouldnt be that difficult to compile just for Penn State. Other schools are another story. For example, Iowa posts some good stats from last season but they don't post takedown data and they don't post archived season stats.

Also, keep in mind, it would be only dual meet data. Tournament data is not tracked at nearly the same detail at the school level.
Adding zeros and ones doesn't seem that hard. They should be able to figure it out.

Here's an updated top NCAA tournament scoring list. Entering the ranks this season:

>Aaron Brooks finishes in a tie at 10th with Ed Ruth
>CStar at #26
>O'Toole at #33
>Carr at #46
Arujau just missed the rankings with 76 career points.

I'm most likely going to keep the 5th year guys separate from the overall ranking list and only list the first 4 years for O'Toole.

Link

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT