ADVERTISEMENT

OT seeking Denver, Colorado vacation advice

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I have a short business trip to Denver in July and have never been there. I'm thinking of taking my wife and extending the stay for a few days. I'd like to find a nice resort convenient to both the city and to do some sight seeing if that's advisable. Not looking for any mountain climbing adventure - we are now of the relaxation generation. Any recommendations from this all knowing board would be appreciated.

I have a short business trip to Denver in July and have never been there. I'm thinking of taking my wife and extending the stay for a few days. I'd like to find a nice resort convenient to both the city and to do some sight seeing if that's advisable. Not looking for any mountain climbing adventure - we are now of the relaxation generation. Any recommendations from this all knowing board would be appreciated.
What you buy in Colorado stays in Colorado. ;) .

Reactions: fairgambit
Thumbnail_brown-palace.jpg

Check out the Brown Palace Hotel in downtown Denver. It is one of the oldest atrium style hotels. You can have drinks in the lobby bar or endulge in their well known afternoon tea service. Boulder is about an hour away and is a great college town.

Reactions: belair al

As posted the Brown Palace is very nice. Other in city options are the Hotel Monarch, the Hotel Teatro, and the Oxford Hotel. These are not resorts, they are high class hotels that offer excellent ambience and service. Resorts are the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, multiple options in Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) including the Stanley Hotel, Bed and Breakfasts abound in the area. Most resorts are located in ski areas - Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Telluride, et. al. Not convenient for a business trip. Option is to stay in Denver, conclude business, take in sights, and then take wife to a mountain resort. Distance and cost will be factors.

If you are extending your stay, you have a lot of options outside of Denver to consider. Colorado Man listed some good ones. My suggestion would be to check out what mountain resorts might have a nice event that weekend, Most have beer, wine, music, and/or food festivals throughout the summer. Breckenridge, Keystone, and Winter Park are about an hour from Denver. Vail and Beaver Creek are about 1.5 to 2 hours from Denver.

Aspen is about 4 hours from Denver and Steamboat Springs is about 3 hours from Denver, which might be a little further than you want to go for your first time in the area.

Overall, my recommendation would be to head up to Vail with your wife and stay somewhere in town. You will be a hero with her if you do this. Since you indicated that you don't want to climb mountains, you can take the gondola up to mid-mountain in Vail and have lunch at the chalet at the top of the gondola called The 10th. Beautiful views of the Gore mountain range from there, and then you can take the gondola back down and enjoy the town of Vail as well. Have a great trip!

When you're in Denver, you should consider staying in the Larimer Square area. Lots of good restaurants, bars and clubs. Stays open late, and car traffic is limited to promote a more laid back and pedestrian friendly ambience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT