ADVERTISEMENT

Vacation in Wildwood, NJ

For some of us older folks recalling our youth, there used to be a famous bar in Somers Point called Tony Marts. If you go back and watch the movie Eddie and the Cruisers, about a shore bar band who played there (see attached video) you’ll get a good sense of it. It’s a fun movie with a lot of good music. A friend of mine, and Penn State alum, went in there once during happy hour and they had a special of 7 7oz draft beers for a dollar. He plunked $5 on the bar and they brought him 35 beers.
The bar has long since been replaced by Circle Liquors, a large liquor store. My friend later became a senior government official for the State of Maryland.

Last edited:
The bar has long since been replaced by Circle Liquors, a large liquor store.
I may or may not have bought large supplies of alcohol there and taken them for a ride over the bridge to a new home before consumption. 😉

Reactions: step.eng69
We could do a whole Jersey Shore playlist, but I promise to stop after this one. My golf league used to sing this after a few beers in the clubhouse. On the Way to Cape May.

sing it till ya learn it!

Last edited:
Reactions: WeARE
For some of us older folks recalling our youth, there used to be a famous bar in Somers Point called Tony Marts. If you go back and watch the movie Eddie and the Cruisers, about a shore bar band who played there (see attached video) you’ll get a good sense of it. It’s a fun movie with a lot of good music. A friend of mine, and Penn State alum, went in there once during happy hour and they had a special of 7 7oz draft beers for a dollar. He plunked $5 on the bar and they brought him 35 beers.
The bar has long since been replaced by Circle Liquors, a large liquor store. My friend later became a senior government official for the State of Maryland.

I tool have heard about this bar and the 7 beers for a dollar back when the NJ drinking age was 18. I do believe the place was legendary.

Reactions: aferrelli
Hmmmm, always knew about Ocean City but Wildwood Crest has the Crest Tavern which serves booze?? https://www.cresttavern.com/ May have to explore the area with a pub crawl this summer....
Here is the deal - I live a few blocks from the Crest Tavern and in fact had the Bayview/Brine Bar and restaurant at the end of my street in Wildwood Crest which as notes is dry, the Crest Tavern and the old Bayview (torn down now) were/are on Lower Township not Wildwood Crest so they can serve alcohol - you wouldn't know you left WW Crest when you went in - the same for Diamond Beach at the end of the Crest going towards the causeway Cape May - you can also serve alcohol there.

Loved Tony Marts. Went there when I was 17-22+, then it closed. Not sure what is there now, but Circle Liquor is on the other side of the circle from where Tony Marts was. The 7 beers for $1 was several blocks down from TM at the Anchorage 7. 7 Ortleibs for $1. The Bay Shores was across from TM and was a great bar as well. Good times.

The wife and I will be going on a 4 night vacation to Wildwood, NJ; we’ve never been there before. We love to eat and drink, and will also be going to Atlantic City to gamble a little. I’m looking for some recommendations on restaurants and hotels in the Widwood area. Also, any other suggestions on vacationing along the Jersey Shore will be much appreciated. Thank you!!
If you love to eat and drink, have you considered just staying in AC? The things other people have shared are very good. Some good Cape May restaurants have been suggested. I wouldn't stay in WW, but the Crest is nice.

Avalon and Stone Harbor probably have the nicest beaches, IMHO. There are decent restaurants. For the poster who said they pay a corkage charge at a BYO, I have never had that happen. I would like to know where that has happened, as I will be sure to check our bill next time!

Reactions: step.eng69
If you love to eat and drink, have you considered just staying in AC? The things other people have shared are very good. Some good Cape May restaurants have been suggested. I wouldn't stay in WW, but the Crest is nice.

Avalon and Stone Harbor probably have the nicest beaches, IMHO. There are decent restaurants. For the poster who said they pay a corkage charge at a BYO, I have never had that happen. I would like to know where that has happened, as I will be sure to check our bill next time!
I used to rent in Avalon and IMO the beaches aren't great - get really small at high tide and the beach patrol is more annoying than the sea gulls - beaches in the Crest are nice and not as long a walk to the water as in Wildwood - hey and they are free! I alwasy thought the beaches in Ocean City were terrible - like walking down a mountain to get to the water and you can only swim between the ref flagged poles.

Loved going to Wildwood in the 70’s. Shamrock, Courtroom, Bongo Room, Play Pen In Wildwood Crest. Bruce Willis was a bartender at the Bongo Room or Shamrock. Even then he had charisma. He must have been like 20. Sometimes then we’d drive up to the Dunes in Sommers Point for fun til dawn. Good times.
I stayed at a house in Avalon many years ago across the street from the Bongo Room. I guess there were multiple Bongo Rooms at the NJ shore, or perhaps you’re thinking of the one in Avalon?

I used to rent in Avalon and IMO the beaches aren't great - get really small at high tide and the beach patrol is more annoying than the sea gulls - beaches in the Crest are nice and not as long a walk to the water as in Wildwood - hey and they are free! I alwasy thought the beaches in Ocean City were terrible - like walking down a mountain to get to the water and you can only swim between the ref flagged poles.
At the north end of the island, that is true. Anything from 25th south is very nice. We are at 39th, and I think our beach is spectacular. Not too narrow, not too wide, not too crowded.

Reactions: Nitwit
Visit Wildwood if you want to go on a long hike across the sand desert to get to the ocean. I have heard it is the only beach in NJ gaining sand and it is just immense. The walk is rough in the hot sun. As mentioned, Wildwood is more of a place for those in their 20s or those with kids. Personally, I love Ocean City, NJ. Yeah it’s dry but who cares. Somers Point across the bridge is nice with a few nice bars and AC is next door. OC is a super nice town with a huge boardwalk, nice little main street, awesome beach, little to no crime, and very nice rentals. It is my favorite beach town in NJ, Delaware and MD.

I’m open to any area really. I picked Wildwood because Cape May and many other locations are dry towns. Can you drink alcohol at the restaurants in the dry towns?
Cape May is not a dry town.

I’m open to any area really. I picked Wildwood because Cape May and many other locations are dry towns. Can you drink alcohol at the restaurants in the dry towns?
Cape May is far from dry. Some restaurants are BYOB, but the majority have a full bar. Many great places to drink in Cape May.

Windrift in stone harbor is a great place, a few different bars, restaurants. Also, around 21st street in Avalon is a good area. Princeton, whitebriar, Sea Grill, qua hogs in stone harbor good place. Fred’s tavern in stone harbor is iconic, recently renovated.

We could do a whole Jersey Shore playlist, but I promise to stop after this one. My golf league used to sing this after a few beers in the clubhouse. On the Way to Cape May.

sing it till ya learn it!
Great old song! Do you know where to find a recording of the old song about Jersey girls and their great tomatoes? It’s a wonderful but unfortunately hazy memory — my now 97-year-old great uncle used to sing it at clubs and on the boardwalk at Ocean City. 😀

I stayed at a house in Avalon many years ago across the street from the Bongo Room. I guess there were multiple Bongo Rooms at the NJ shore, or perhaps you’re thinking of the one in Avalon?

It was the Red Garter. Sorry, I looked that up. My memory is very clouded on those Wildwood times.

Windrift in stone harbor is a great place, a few different bars, restaurants. Also, around 21st street in Avalon is a good area. Princeton, whitebriar, Sea Grill, qua hogs in stone harbor good place. Fred’s tavern in stone harbor is iconic, recently renovated.
Don't forget the Concord, right across the street from the Windrift! Also, the Sandbar Village at the Icona next to the Windrift. An outdoor bar, good music and food.

Loved going to Wildwood in the 70’s. Shamrock, Courtroom, Bongo Room, Play Pen In Wildwood Crest. Bruce Willis was a bartender at the Bongo Room or Shamrock. Even then he had charisma. He must have been like 20. Sometimes then we’d drive up to the Dunes in Sommers Point for fun til dawn. Good times.
Used to be a place that you got 7 beers for a dollar. I believe. Went there in the late 70's also.
Just read the whole thread and saw that it has been mentioned several times.

When we rented in Avalon we used to call the Windrift the wrinkle palace - now i fit would fit in just finethat description - they have a brewery right next door to the Windrift now - beers were good food a little pricey but typical for Avalon/Stone Harbor.

Great old song! Do you know where to find a recording of the old song about Jersey girls and their great tomatoes? It’s a wonderful but unfortunately hazy memory — my now 97-year-old great uncle used to sing it at clubs and on the boardwalk at Ocean City. 😀
Never heard of it but it sounds funny. Perhaps another poster can find it.

I also know a guy who is around 90 who sings in a men’s group on the boardwalk. Perhaps they are in the same group. They do the Cape May song and lots of patriotic music - god bless them. He also shoots his age in golf on occasion:).

Reactions: PSUPride1
We're going to spend a couple of days along the shore showing the kids the beaches we grew up on so these are great suggestions.

We're planning on dinner in Cape May then hitting the OC Boardwalk the next day. Trying to figure out dinner for the second night in and around OC or AC. Thoughts?

I updated my map of BWI recommended places that have been mentioned in this thread.

We're going to spend a couple of days along the shore showing the kids the beaches we grew up on so these are great suggestions.

We're planning on dinner in Cape May then hitting the OC Boardwalk the next day. Trying to figure out dinner for the second night in and around OC or AC. Thoughts?

I updated my map of BWI recommended places that have been mentioned in this thread.

Have fun, the wife and I will be there next Monday through Friday.

When we rented in Avalon we used to call the Windrift the wrinkle palace - now i fit would fit in just finethat description - they have a brewery right next door to the Windrift now - beers were good food a little pricey but typical for Avalon/Stone Harbor.
Always thought the windrift food ok not great.Their breakfast was good though.

Twisties in Strathmere is a cool little dive. Not that big but good enough food on the bay side.

Which of you posters regularly vacation in Cape May, New Jersey? Cape May is where I typically go to enjoy the beach and vacation with friends and family. Are there any specific watering holes that you all gather at? I like Rusty Nail, Cabanas, and Harrys on Beach Avenue, and Ugly Mug and Delaneys on the Mall.
Is the Mad Batter still open there in Cape May? It has been some years, but I had a really great brunch there.

A lot of restaurants in Avalon and Cape May are BYOB, which is fine with me. I can bring my wife's and my favorite wines, pay a small corkage, and the restaurant doesn't incur the burden of a liquor license for only about 8 months of business. However, there are a number of regular restaurants and bars in that area that offer alcohol.

We did AirBNB in Avalon in 2019, and it was great. Quite a few good places to eat in Avalon, and the town is very walkable, as is next door Stone Harbor. Very clean and uncrowded beaches, and our AirBNB was right around the corner from Brady's Hoagies, which is very good.
Buona vita is also in sommers point.A great Italian place.I am pretty sure you need a reservation.
I gave you the like for Buona Vita, which we've been to a couple of times and liked it very much. Gets crowded and loud are the only minuses. As far as I recall, Cape May is not dry.

Reactions: brupsu
The wife and I will be going on a 4 night vacation to Wildwood, NJ; we’ve never been there before. We love to eat and drink, and will also be going to Atlantic City to gamble a little. I’m looking for some recommendations on restaurants and hotels in the Widwood area. Also, any other suggestions on vacationing along the Jersey Shore will be much appreciated. Thank you!!
The guys above did a good job of describing the south NJ beach towns. As a kid, our parents took us to Wildwood for many years but none of my brothers or sister go there anymore. Cape May, Stone Harbor, Avalon, and Ocean City are all nicer.

I married into a Long Beach Island family and we've been going there for over 25 years and we now live there. It's the next island north of Brigantine. Other than the fact that there are too many damn Yankees fans, it's very nice here. Plenty of good restaurants, nice beaches (beach tags required), there is a small amusement ride area for kids but no boardwalk. 45 minutes to Atlantic City. There are no nice golf courses, however, you have to go 40 minutes or more south to pick up the good, but pricey, golf courses. Enjoy your trip.

The guys above did a good job of describing the south NJ beach towns. As a kid, our parents took us to Wildwood for many years but none of my brothers or sister go there anymore. Cape May, Stone Harbor, Avalon, and Ocean City are all nicer.

I married into a Long Beach Island family and we've been going there for over 25 years and we now live there. It's the next island north of Brigantine. Other than the fact that there are too many damn Yankees fans, it's very nice here. Plenty of good restaurants, nice beaches (beach tags required), there is a small amusement ride area for kids but no boardwalk. 45 minutes to Atlantic City. There are no nice golf courses, however, you have to go 40 minutes or more south to pick up the good, but pricey, golf courses. Enjoy your trip.
I have a place in Wildwood Crest - I am amazed by the number of New Yorkers here - Giants and Yankees hats everywhere - weird because it's such a long drive down to here and there are beaches like LBI much closer but until the pandemic a ton of French Canadians used to come here also - not so many now.

Have a place in the deep south end of OC. Marmora, Tuckahoe, Somers Point and Strathmere (Deauville Inn) are all close for dining/drinking.

I have a place in Wildwood Crest - I am amazed by the number of New Yorkers here - Giants and Yankees hats everywhere - weird because it's such a long drive down to here and there are beaches like LBI much closer but until the pandemic a ton of French Canadians used to come here also - not so many now.
I remember plentiful Canadian license plates in Wildwood many years ago but Canada is still busting chops with the COVID issue. When Canadians return to home they have to isolate for a week or more in a government approved facility on their own dime so not many are traveling yet. At least that’s my understanding.

LBI was almost all Philly area people 30-35 years ago but a few North Jersey beach towns went downhill like Wildwood, so the Yankee fans moved further south. 🤓🤨

I highly recommend Brittons Bakery in Wildwood Crest for morning pastries, donuts and coffee.

Reactions: mikeinpenna
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT