ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State players offer their appreciation to James Franklin (article)

LMTLION

Mar 20, 2008
His players seem to love him. Article indicates 89% graduation rate.

Penn State players offer their appreciation to James Franklin [opinion]​

Nittany Lions express their support for their head football coach​

Penn State football coach James Franklin is flanked by offensive linemen Sal Wormley, left, and Caedan Wallace as the Nittany Lions take the field before Saturday’s win over Rutgers. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)

Penn State football coach James Franklin is flanked by offensive linemen Sal Wormley, left, and Caedan Wallace as the Nittany Lions take the field before Saturday’s win over Rutgers. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)
Author

By RICH SCARCELLA | rscarcella@readingeagle.com | Reading Eagle
PUBLISHED: November 19, 2023 at 1:09 p.m. | UPDATED: November 19, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.

Theo Johnson was one of 25 Penn State football players to be recognized Saturday on Senior Day and who received hugs from their head coach.
After Penn State dispatched Rutgers 27-6 at Beaver Stadium, Johnson, a team captain, turned the tables on James Franklin in the locker room and thanked him after his rough week.
“After every game, Coach Franklin tells us how much he loves and appreciates us,” Johnson said. “I feel like sometimes he doesn’t get that in return and we don’t express that to him.
“I just wanted to tell him how much we love and appreciate him because he gave everyone in that room a chance, an opportunity.”

Franklin became emotional, according to Johnson and other players, a week after the Nittany Lions lost another big game to Michigan and six days after he fired offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich.
“Honestly, he was speechless,” defensive end Chop Robinson said. “He was tearing up a bit. I had never seen him cry before.”

Some of Franklin’s in-game decisions can be criticized. Some of his press-conference comments can be questioned. But one thing that can’t be doubted is the strong bond he has forged with his players.
Former Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki, who’s now with the New England Patriots, returned Saturday to serve as honorary captain with former Lions defensive end Aaron Maybin. Gesicki wore a hoodie screened with an image of Franklin in support of his coach.

“Penn State is lucky to have a leader of men like @coachjfranklin,” Gesicki posted on social media. “Best in the business.”
The Lions have had few off-the-field problems during Franklin’s 10 seasons. They’re graduating at an 89% rate, according to the most recent NCAA report. That’s 7% higher than the average of teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision.
Safety Keaton Ellis, who grew up in State College, dreamed of playing for Penn State like his father, Bruce, did. He spoke Saturday about the gratitude he has for Franklin.
“He trusted in me, he believed in me,” Ellis said. “That’s really all I could ask for. He stuck with me all these five years. I love him. I appreciate him for just being there, not only for me but for my teammates.
“I think the biggest thing is, he set me up to be a man. He set me up for after football. He gave all of us, especially me, a blueprint of how to be a man.”
Franklin, of course, has his detractors who are cynical about the way he talks about the team and the staff being a family and about almost anything else.
He’s not a saint. He’s not above criticism.
For example, many of us still have questions about why Yurcich was allowed to call plays if he wasn’t following Franklin’s instructions and for how long it went on.
He shouldn’t have waited four days to accept responsibility for the offense’s dreadful performance in the 24-15 loss to Michigan.
But take a step back and admire the healthy relationships he has with Penn State players, who he never rips in public.
“In college sports, you just spend so much time with these guys,” Franklin said, “through the recruiting process, through their academic experience, through their football experience, with the highest highs and lowest lows. It’s everything from their girlfriends breaking up with them, to divorces, to deaths.
“Really, you experience it all. These are real, significant relationships. They know how much I care about them.”
Which is why several players stood up for their coach Saturday, including defensive tackle Dvon Ellies, who also thanked Franklin in the locker room.
“He puts up with a lot and has to go through a lot,” Johnson said. “He always protects us and shields us from stuff. People have a lot of opinions on our coach, but in our locker room everyone has tremendous love and respect for him and who he is.”

Honestly, how often have you heard a player not say they love their coach while the coach is still there?
I'm glad they love Franklin and they should--he's a great dude. Not sure how you think this proves others wrong...

Reactions: 91Joe95 and hoflane
Honestly, how often have you heard a player not say they love their coach while the coach is still there?
I'm glad they love Franklin and they should--he's a great dude. Not sure how you think this proves others wrong...
I think you just proved his point......

It doesn't, everyone not drinking the kool aid knows Franklin has hit his ceiling. He was the laughed at for his poor in game decisions last week by anyone not a PSU fan.

Please remember those people who said this was a good offense before OSU disappeared after the Michgan loss, so we know who was right.

Nothing here is surprising. Or what people believe themselves. Everyone says he is a great guy.

But he needs to vastly improve the offense. And he needs to win big games.

Sports is just about the last true meritocracy. Win big. Or move on.
Agree and disagree. Joe certainly didn't win big games during large swaths of his tenure.

The school also needs to consider the brand. The prolific winners of the B1G are Tressel (fired for tattoo-gate), Meyer (fired for covering up a staffer's alleged spousal abuse), and now Harbaugh (on their fourth coach suspension/firing this year).

Given the events of 2011~2014, the national media would view the firing of good guy Franklin as "Penn state goes back to win football games at any cost, hide your kids!" pronto.

Agree and disagree. Joe certainly didn't win big games during large swaths of his tenure.

The school also needs to consider the brand. The prolific winners of the B1G are Tressel (fired for tattoo-gate), Meyer (fired for covering up a staffer's alleged spousal abuse), and now Harbaugh (on their fourth coach suspension/firing this year).

Given the events of 2011~2014, the national media would view the firing of good guy Franklin as "Penn state goes back to win football games at any cost, hide your kids!" pronto.
Joe was two or three generations ago. And he also won a lot of big games. No one says CJF has to win all or even most but he has won only one. And in big games the offense has been horrific. Watching every big game is like hanging on the edge of a cliff….hanging on as long as you can but eventually you tire and fall. .

As for brand it was and should be the Grand Experiment, excellence both on and off the field. If Franklin is let go….which won’t happen, nor should it happen, this year no one will go back to the Sandusky scandal. People know he hasn’t performed well at all in big games. The offense is putrid, he ….or someone…makes terrible game time decisions, and he goes through OCs like crazy.

This will be his last OC hire if it isn’t successful. He has two years to win a couple big games or at least have a credible offense in them. If this hire fails then he will be gone too.

• Love
Reactions: hoflane
Joe was two or three generations ago. And he also won a lot of big games. No one says CJF has to win all or even most but he has won only one. And in big games the offense has been horrific. Watching every big game is like hanging on the edge of a cliff….hanging on as long as you can but eventually you tire and fall. .

As for brand it was and should be the Grand Experiment, excellence both on and off the field. If Franklin is let go….which won’t happen, nor should it happen, this year no one will go back to the Sandusky scandal. People know he hasn’t performed well at all in big games. The offense is putrid, he ….or someone…makes terrible game time decisions, and he goes through OCs like crazy.

This will be his last OC hire if it isn’t successful. He has two years to win a couple big games or at least have a credible offense in them. If this hire fails then he will be gone too.
I don't disagree but CJF only recently got our overall skill level up to acceptable standards. Barkley was the only exception. CJF's first five years were horribly handicapped due to sanctions. the next several years hurt recruiting due to our poor records and the ghosts of Jerry Sandusky. The kids we have on the field now were a result of the Barkley, McSorely, Parsons, and Miles Sanders years. Frankly, (pardon the pun) we hit lightning in a bottle with #26 and would have been blown out by tOSU. UM really has only been good the last two years but still had better talent than PSU. And I mean all 22 players plus their backups for recovering from injury.

This year, the WRs have been awful and Allar has deteriorated (on his own, MY, WRs? IDK). Last year, we played tOSU tough but an injury to LT (lack of depth) let to a tOSU DE having a game that made him a tOSU legend (hasn't played up to that before or after). Giving up 41 to tOSU and 44 to UM wasn't the offense's fault.

Reactions: 81b&w
Players don't come out and criticize a coach while still there.

But not all players will come out gushing like this.

He is a very well liked coach which is part of why he does so well with recruiting.

The 89% grad rate also refutes earlier reports that academics were declining.

Players don't come out and criticize a coach while still there.

But not all players will come out gushing like this.

He is a very well liked coach which is part of why he does so well with recruiting.

The 89% grad rate also refutes earlier reports that academics were declining.
I feel like this is very typical--but I also agree and have never disputed he's well liked--it's the level of success that has to improve.

If grad rate was disputed great--not sure why people are still focused on that. With the portal and everything else its misleading.

Yep Gitzit, Tom Brady
No, I was thinking of this guy.

“He’s my right-hand man,” O’Brien said. “I think a head coach has to have somebody that’s been around them a long time, that’s been around him when he was a young guy, been around him as he was growing up in coaching. That’s what Jimmy is.”

“He’s my right-hand man,” O’Brien said. “I think a head coach has to have somebody that’s been around them a long time, that’s been around him when he was a young guy, been around him as he was growing up in coaching. That’s what Jimmy is.”

Excellent article. Every top executive needs someone to keep them grounded , to tell them when they are wrong, someone they can 100% trust.

Good read....Gitzit

How

how many years into his career before his first undefeated season? An undefeated season is a precursor to being considered both “great” and a “champion”.
And didn’t play a ranked team until the bowl game. Franklin would have been undefeated with that schedule too.

Reactions: LMTLION
And didn’t play a ranked team until the bowl game. Franklin would have been undefeated with that schedule too.
Assumptions are just that, assumptions. Franklin has had and will have a few more opportunities to prove his greatness or lack thereof. It’s up to him and him alone. Joe proved his greatness over several decades, he didn’t talk about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT