ADVERTISEMENT

On a slow day how about a question? Who's been a member of this board the longest. I joined

Also lost CBOT Kevin/FUN160, who was an early member of plotit.com. He died suddenly and unexpectedly about a year ago in August, from a heart condition.

I don't remember CBOT but I do remember FUN160. IIRC he had a "dog is my co-pilot" pic or something in his sig. pic.
Thats too bad.

I remember the old Plotit board, there was no way to ban posters. So EVERY SINGLE THREAD had the Pitt mental patients trolling. EVERY SINGLE THREAD. It was like going to a picnic and being covered with flies. I think Mary Anne was a monitor back then. She'd tell people not to fire back because it just drew more responses, more posts to delete.

I can't really upload pictures so I used my avatar for one, and here's a link to the 'wayback' time machine where you can look at old versions of websites. This capture is plotit from July 3, 1998.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980703105141/http://www.plotit.com/cgi-shl/webboardfast.exe

LOL, thanks for that link. Some names on there I remember. HappyJohn and OptionBob.
And drum roll...FrankfromAllentown. Who was ok until he got a couple drinks in him and then all hell would break loose.
But that was later on during the dark years.

Here's January 1998
https://web.archive.org/web/19980113101606/http://www.plotit.com/PSU/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Shamar Finney, Jeff Smoker, Drummond, Tyler Lenda.

Enjoy!
MA
Wow, that should be in the Smithsonian or something!
wow_emoticon.gif

Last edited:
I also go back to the plotit.com days. Some time in 97 or 98 I think. Back then it was generally so civil many used their actual names as their handle and had their emails made public. I posted as Brian Mc back then.

Pretty sure Judge Smails did the Kournikova Fridays. HappyJohn did the look to the south for the Blue Band on home game days.

Similar experience. In the 90s, but don't recall the year. It was much more civil in the plotit.com days.

Lots of humor from the beginning. Front Range and others were active with the "Portland Cement Crack of the Week Award." Posters kept things interesting and fun. The Crack of the Week was a recap of some of the more clever comments of the week, ranked in order. The best won the weekly award. It was a fun tradition that focused on positive contributions and fun posts.

Tom McAndrew has supplied many many years of level-headed contributions. Besides posting about some his own interests, he has been a patient and caring supporter of posters who have had questions about Penn State, BWI services etc. He set the stage for a helpful environment. Many others have followed that example. That has made for a more inclusive community, where new posters could feel welcome, as they learned answers to the questions important to them.

Saw that Mary Anne posted in this thread. Not sure why she doesn't post more, but she was a legendary contributor. As a huge Penn State fan, she helped many individuals with their concerns. Her knowledge, humor and gracious support were greatly appreciated by many other posters.

I don't remember CBOT but I do remember FUN160. IIRC he had a "dog is my co-pilot" pic or something in his sig. pic.
Thats too bad.

Haha... That's right BBrown. Good memory. Fun160 had fun with that line. His family trained competition quality dogs and a family member served as a judge for dog competitions around the country.

He also worked many years for the Chicago Board of Trade, in New York City and was a professional trader most of his life, in various ventures. Great guy and a die-hard Joe Paterno and PSU football fan.

He was very active basketball player in team competition every week. But apparently his family has had a history of a heart condition for which there isn't an effective emergency room treatment, known by some as "The Widow Maker."

Very smart, had a great sense of humor and he loved to do research on Penn State topics, to provide info for the board. He died way too early at the age of 52.

LOL, thanks for that link. Some names on there I remember. HappyJohn and OptionBob.
And drum roll...FrankfromAllentown. Who was ok until he got a couple drinks in him and then all hell would break loose.
But that was later on during the dark years.
Who could ever forget FrankfromAllentown? Always the optimist. A real half-full glass type of guy.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Mine is May 29, 2001 too. A very popular day.
There must have been some sort of software update that day since so many of us have an identical date. I too read a bit in the old Plotit days but I don't know if I actually registered and posted back then. I think I may have lurked until the McAndrew board was formed.

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. We had a discussion about this in the past year, and somebody did correctly identify who was responsible for Kournikov Fridays. I'm drawing a blank, but I think it was something like anthony42 who made those posts.

That was me in the other post. I believe it was anthony42. I love how I can remember pointless stuff like that but I don't know what I ate for lunch yesterday. o_O

in Nov of 2001. That really makes me sound old. I guess I am. I remember some of the posters from back then and some of the ones we've lost since then. Carol, who changed to Carol1, and can't remember his name but he and his wife were killed in a car accident. Very sad. I always enjoyed their perspective. Life goes on but don't forget the past.
October 30, 2001...wow.

There must have been some sort of software update that day since so many of us have an identical date. I too read a bit in the old Plotit days but I don't know if I actually registered and posted back then. I think I may have lurked until the McAndrew board was formed.

Pretty sure thats what I did as well. At least I don't remember posting.
I know I lurked here for a while before I posted and at that time I was also getting the print edition of BWI so I didn't see the
need to join both the Den and have the print edition. (sorry Phil)

That was me in the other post. I believe it was anthony42. I love how I can remember pointless stuff like that but I don't know what I ate for lunch yesterday. o_O

Yea we remember pointless stuff like this but some see and hear life altering sights and sounds and can't even remember the year.o_O

Used to frequent Plotit and the ESPN College Football Message Boards (I think Tom used to post there as well) back when I was a student at PSU (would use the labs in Chambers to get online). I had a different handle there (no name nitts) too.

Member since '01, but I got banned in '11 only for saying I thought Northwestern would beat us. I never could figure out why I got banned for that...hell, I'm a Penn State grad and fan. So I changed to this name when everything went down and I needed rationale people to discuss the situation with.

Yeah, I got stuck,in that traffic too. Sat on N. Atherton for 50 minutes and didn't move. Turned around and came in through Toftrees and got there about 2 hours late.

Was Front Range responsible for Kournakova Fridays? How about the Portland Cement Crack of the Week?

Thought that was Kassandro....?

in Nov of 2001. That really makes me sound old. I guess I am. I remember some of the posters from back then and some of the ones we've lost since then. Carol, who changed to Carol1, and can't remember his name but he and his wife were killed in a car accident. Very sad. I always enjoyed their perspective. Life goes on but don't forget the past.

I was 2003 but lurked for years... finally made the jump. Agree some of my favorite posters were Front Range and Kasandro and the one killed in the car crash with his wife was the mighty Bayline! Man I miss his late night posts.... Some of the funniest posts I have ever seen. So sad he and his wife were taken in a automobile crash. EDIT: I do miss Carol posts as well.... yes she was trying at times but her homerism and her knowledge of things to do for people visiting state college for the first time she should of been made ambassador of state college.

and lets not forget the AustinNit thread/ day!!

I go back to 2000 or 2001 but I will say the day this became a community for me was Sept. 11, 2001 and the weeks afterwards.

It was pretty amazing the info that came via this board (in thread view) and the information I was able to pass along being in the city at the time (at a major bank).

LdN

I was on this board when the first plane hit. I recall somebody on the board reporting that a plane just hit the WTC. I immediately went to a TV to watch the events unfold.

Reactions: cronk
I think you were in a newspaper article once about the chat rooms, and the article said something like 'There was one guy, NedfromYork, in there at midnight on a Saturday nite.

Dang, that hurts! That was like '99 or '00. We used to chat ALL THE TIME and yeah, some Penn State newsletter or mag published that blurb. I believe we sat in seats directly in front/back of each other in the early '00s Mary Anne?

My profile says May 2001. I joined TOS in 2000. I was reading this Board on 9/11/01 --- my first day back in the Army office after my honeymoon when I saw the thread --- "a small plane hit the WTC"

I have been a member since 2005 I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT