ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate your favorite Western movies

I agree that No Country For Old Men is borderline western. I am hoping someone makes Blood Meridian into a flick. The Revenant looks great as does The Hateful 8 both coming out on Christmas. I have Slow West with Michael Fassbender and The Salvation with Mads Mikelsen both on my to see list.

Last edited:
Did a quick scan of the posts and did not notice listing of one of my favorites - The Gunfighter wtih Gregory Peck as Jimmy Ringo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042531/

Some great lines:

Jimmy Ringo: How come I've got to run into a squirt like you nearly every place I go these days? What are you trying to do? Show off for your friends?

Eddie: He don't look so tough to me.
Bit Part: Well if he ain't so tough, there's been an awful lot of sudden natural deaths in his vicinity.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I agree that No Country For Old Men is borderline western. I am hoping someone makes Blood Meridian into a flick. The Revenant looks great as does The Hateful 8 both coming out on Christmas. I have Slow West with Michael Fassbender and The Salvation with Mads Mikelsen both on my to see list.
So you're into Cormac McCarthy, eh? The only way Blood Meridian could work is if it were a miniseries, like Lonesome Dove, it's just too big, too epic.

Just so you know, Child of God got made into a movie and it's on Netflix. Imagine, a movie about an one-armed necrophiliac hillbilly serial killer. I've read all McCarthy's stuff, but I haven't screwed up enough courage to take that one on.

S
So you're into Cormac McCarthy, eh? The only way Blood Meridian could work is if it were a miniseries, like Lonesome Dove, it's just too big, too epic.

Just so you know, Child of God got made into a movie and it's on Netflix. Imagine, a movie about an one-armed necrophiliac hillbilly serial killer. I've read all McCarthy's stuff, but I haven't screwed up enough courage to take that one on.
Sounds like an entertaining evening! The Road was a pretty grim film too!

Watching Child of God now. Wow, what a disturbing flick! Fascinating, like rubbernecking a car wreck!

I don't know how the lead actor, Scott Haze, was not nominated for best actor. What a performance. He said he did everything in the role live except the necrophilia!
Too bad. If he had just made that one little sacrifice for his craft, he might been nominated and even won. I guess he wanted to avoid jail time.:eek:

1) The Wild Bunch
2) McCabe and Mrs. Miller
3) The Searchers
4) The Man With No Name trilogy
5) Butch Cassidy

SHANE (the best of the best)
High Noon
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
My Darling Clementine
Tombstone
1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2. Tombstone
3. The Magnificent Seven
4. Support Your Local Sheriff
5. Silverado
6. El Dorado
7. Support Your Local Gunfighter
8. The Good Guys and the Bad Guys
9. Hot Lead and Cold Feet
10. Shootout at Medicine Bend
I always considered Clint Eastwood's "The Pale Rider" to be a remake of "Shane". My movie book calls it a clone of "Shane". I liked "The Pale Rider" better.

A younger Marlon Brando, Brian Dennehey or perhaps John Goodman would have been perfect as The Judge if they filmed Blood Meridian. All villains today look like Jason Strathan, Tim Roth or Matt Dillon. I believe any director and script writer would have to modify the ending to get broader appeal from non McCarthy fans.

A younger Marlon Brando, Brian Dennehey or perhaps John Goodman would have been perfect as The Judge if they filmed Blood Meridian. All villains today look like Jason Strathan, Tim Roth or Matt Dillon. I believe any director and script writer would have to modify the ending to get broader appeal from non McCarthy fans.
Or James Gandolfini, rest in peace. And who the hell could play Toadvine? The problem with making a movie out of this is that take away the Judge and it still would be one of the most depressing, gruesome, Godforsaken films ever made, just try to imagine the scenes when Glanton takes over the ford. Then add the Judge and see where that takes you.

Reactions: rudedude
Or James Gandolfini, rest in peace. And who the hell could play Toadvine? The problem with making a movie out of this is that take away the Judge and it still would be one of the most depressing, gruesome, Godforsaken films ever made, just try to imagine the scenes when Glanton takes over the ford. Then add the Judge and see where that takes you.
Warren Oates, Jack Elam, Dirty Harry's nemisis or Geoffrey Lewis could have played Toadvine, coming up empty for a contemporary (or living) candidate. Lee Van Cleef could have been Glanton.

Warren Oates, Jack Elam, Dirty Harry's nemisis or Geoffrey Lewis could have played Toadvine, coming up empty for a contemporary (or living) candidate. Lee Van Cleef could have been Glanton.
I always thought the Gyro Captain from The Road Warrior would have made a good Toadvine, but that was 35 years ago. A younger Jack Nicholson would have been a great Glanton. But how do you film this: "...the old man raised the axe and split the head of John Joel Glanton to the thrapple."

Here is my list. I limited it to 4 John Wayne movies and the best one from the others.

1. Shane
2. Ride the High Country
3. The Angel and the Badman
4. The Oxbow Incident
5. The Searchers
6. The Magnificent Seven
7. Blazing Saddles
8. Stage Coach
9. Destry Rides Again
10. Outlaw Josey Wales
11 Fort Apache
12 The Professionals
13 High Noon
14 The Wild Bunch
15 The Gunfighter
16 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
17 Silverado
18. Little Big Man

I am surprised no one mentioned, The Westerner, Buffalo Bill, McClintock, Dodge City or Union Pacific. I almost forgot the Plainsman.

Last edited:
Here is my list. I limited it to 4 John Wayne movies and the best one from the others.

1. Shane
2. Ride the High Country
3. The Angel and the Badman
4. The Oxbow Incident
5. The Searchers
6. The Magnificent Seven
7. Blazing Saddles
8. Stage Coach
9. Destry Rides Again
10. Outlaw Josey Wales
11 Fort Apache
12 The Professionals
13 High Noon
14 The Wild Bunch
15 The Gunfighter
16 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
17 Silverado
18. Little Big Man

I am surprised no one mentioned, The Westerner, Buffalo Bill, McClintock, Dodge City or Union Pacific.

Agree that The Westerner is worthy of mention. Lilly Langtree..... Watched way back when and then a few weeks later went to a conference center outside Philly and ate at the Lilly Langtree saloon..... WoW.

A top 15 of true westerns that does not include at least 5 or 6 John Wayne films is a joke.....

Searchers, Red River, Stagecoach, Ft. Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Rio Bravo, Angel and the Badman...........

In fact, I just fired Verizon because Infinity offers the Western movie channel......

Last edited:
If you love westerns then definitely watch The Salvation with Mads Mikelsen. A great revenge tale and great scenery. Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the bad guy and Eva Green as the female lead.

If you love westerns then definitely watch The Salvation with Mads Mikelsen. A great revenge tale and great scenery. Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the bad guy and Eva Green as the female lead.

I was just watching Westworld and it made me think of three more to add to the list:

The Magnificent Seven
Hud
Junior Bonner

Yeah, Junior Bonner is very nice, a mellow Peckinpah. Of course, I'd watch any movie with Ben Johnson in it.

I am so glad you said that Ben Johnson is one of my favorite character actors too!

Junior Bonner is a mellow Peckinpah movie. Out of curiosity does anyone know the name of the huge cowboy in the bar room fight of Junior Bonner. I could never find out his name. Thanks.

I am so glad you said that Ben Johnson is one of my favorite character actors too!

Junior Bonner is a mellow Peckinpah movie. Out of curiosity does anyone know the name of the huge cowboy in the bar room fight of Junior Bonner. I could never find out his name. Thanks.
I haven't seen Junior Bonner for a couple of years, can't help with the identification.

One of my all-time favorite characters is Ben Johnson's Sam the Lion in The Last Picture Show. Damn, just a great portrayal of a good man who lived a good, full life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT