ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate your favorite Western movies

Anyone else excited to see Tarantino dip his toe in the western genre again this Christmas? Talk about a hell of a cast....

Walton Goggins....
Bruce Dern....
Samuel L. Jackson...
Michael Madsen....
Tim Roth....
Kurt Russell....
Damien Bichir....
and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

I love that Tarantino is going back to his 'Reservoir Dogs' roots with a bit of a 'closed room mystery' plot device. This just sound soooooo goooood.....

While racing toward the town of Red Rock in post-Civil War Wyoming, bounty hunter John "The Hangman" Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his fugitive prisoner (Jennifer Jason Leigh) encounter another bounty hunter (Samuel L. Jackson) and a man (Walton Goggins) who claims to be a sheriff. Hoping to find shelter from a blizzard, the group travels to a stagecoach stopover located on a mountain pass. There, they encounter four strangers, and soon learn that they may not make it to their destination after all.

NEnVTEWMmtd7rr_2_b.jpg

Wasnt a movie but a series....DeadWood...it was awesome. Some great lines in that series. My favorite was when Swearengin was getting a hummer from a waitress. She was going real fast. He yells at her, "Hey yo, slowdown. You got a stagecoach to catch or something!" As far as movies...Josey Wales...Unforgiven....Jeremiah Johnson

Reactions: mn78psu83
Wasnt a movie but a series....DeadWood...it was awesome. Some great lines in that series. My favorite was when Swearengin was getting a hummer from a waitress. She was going real fast. He yells at her, "Hey yo, slowdown. You got a stagecoach to catch or something!" As far as movies...Josey Wales...Unforgiven....Jeremiah Johnson
I loved Deadwood too. So disappointed that it stopped after 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Some memorable scenes going through my head:
  1. Wayne throwing aside his Indian rifle sheath as he sees his brother's home burning in The Searchers.
  2. Wayne, at the funeral in The Searchers: "Put an amen to it!"
  3. When Sharon Stone kills Gene Hackman in The Quick and the Dead, you see the look of shock on Hackman's face and then see his shadow with the sun shining through the little hole where his heart should have been.
  4. Warren Beatty dying in the snow in McCabe and Mrs. Miller.
  5. The great scene in The Wild Bunch, already mentioned in this thread, where Holden, Oates, Borgnine, and the great Ben Johnson walk to what they know will be their deaths.
  6. The ending of The Outlaw Josey Wales where John Vernon, very, very fine here, tells Eastwood that he's going to go to Mexico to keep looking for Wales. Great scene.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Red River."

In 1990, Red River was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registryby the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." John Ford—who worked with Wayne on many films (such as Stagecoach, The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance)—was so impressed with Wayne's performance that he is reported to have said, "I didn’t know the big son of a bitch could act!"[3] In June 2008, AFI listed Red River as the fifth-best film in the western genre.

In 1990, Red River was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registryby the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." John Ford—who worked with Wayne on many films (such as Stagecoach, The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance)—was so impressed with Wayne's performance that he is reported to have said, "I didn’t know the big son of a bitch could act!"[3] In June 2008, AFI listed Red River as the fifth-best film in the western genre.
One other person mentioned Red River:

Red River
Outlaw Josey Wayles
Pale Rider
Tombstone
Open Range
Magnificent Seven
Cat Ballou
The Searchers
The Shootist
High Plains Drifter

25 zappaa, Today at 7:41 AM

One other person mentioned Red River:

Red River
Outlaw Josey Wayles
Pale Rider
Tombstone
Open Range
Magnificent Seven
Cat Ballou
The Searchers
The Shootist
High Plains Drifter

25 zappaa, Today at 7:41 AM
Okay.

I'd also point out the series of excellent Westerns directed by Anthony Mann and starring Jimmy Stewart, including Bend of The River, The Naked Spur, The Far Country, and most especially Winchester '73. Mann had made his reputation directing film noir and his westerns, in which Stewart usually plays a morally ambiguous character, are often referred to as "noir" westerns.

Okay.

I'd also point out the series of excellent Westerns directed by Anthony Mann and starring Jimmy Stewart, including Bend of The River, The Naked Spur, The Far Country, and most especially Winchester '73. Mann had made his reputation directing film noir and his westerns, in which Stewart usually plays a morally ambiguous character, are often referred to as "noir" westerns.
Choosing Jimmy Stewart to be a hero with flaws turned out to be a great choice.

Reactions: ralpieE
Some memorable scenes going through my head:
  1. Wayne throwing aside his Indian rifle sheath as he sees his brother's home burning in The Searchers.
  2. Wayne, at the funeral in The Searchers: "Put an amen to it!"
  3. When Sharon Stone kills Gene Hackman in The Quick and the Dead, you see the look of shock on Hackman's face and then see his shadow with the sun shining through the little hole where his heart should have been.
  4. Warren Beatty dying in the snow in McCabe and Mrs. Miller.
  5. The great scene in The Wild Bunch, already mentioned in this thread, where Holden, Oates, Borgnine, and the great Ben Johnson walk to what they know will be their deaths.
  6. The ending of The Outlaw Josey Wales where John Vernon, very, very fine here, tells Eastwood that he's going to go to Mexico to keep looking for Wales. Great scene.
What a great scene. "I think I'll try to tell him the war is over." ...

"I guess we all died a little in that damn war."

Reactions: LionJim
You're really pulling them out now. I think Lee van Cleef was the star of Barquero. Not sure about the rest.

Lee Van Cleef was the Barquero.

Burt Lancaster was excellent in Lawman, Valdez Is Coming and Ulzana's Raid.

The Mercenary ...Franco Nero, David Musante (Toma TV Show), and Jack Palance as a "gay" bad guy.

My favorite six in order:

1. The Searchers
2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
3. High Noon
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
5. True Grit (original)
6. A Fistful of Dollars
My favorite six in order:

1. The Searchers
2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
3. High Noon
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
5. True Grit (original)
6. A Fistful of Dollars

High Noon
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
Tombstone
SHANE (the real number 1 !!!!!!)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
My Darling Clementine

SHANE (the best of the best)
High Noon
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
My Darling Clementine
Tombstone

great choices, though I have a little hate for DWW since it beat Goodfellas at the Oscars

however, Unforgiven is an anti-Western. In fact, it has one of the most unique narrative structures of any film. SPOILERS: the main character does not overcome adversity and learn from his mistakes. He slowly unrolls his defenses to return to the evil man he once was. frikkin brilliant.
Sorry, but DWW has got to be one of the worst and phoniest movies ever made. I can never watch the whole thing.

Reactions: simons96
This is a fantastic thread. I love Westerns ... so much so that I pay to get the Western Channel.

You guys have hit just about all the really good ones. The only one I think I've missed reading is John Wayne's Hondo.

This is a fantastic thread. I love Westerns ... so much so that I pay to get the Western Channel.

You guys have hit just about all the really good ones. The only one I think I've missed reading is John Wayne's Hondo.

One of the first 3-D movies made.

The Searchers number 1.
The Outlaw Josie Wales number 2
Open Range
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
The Wild Bunch
Rio Bravo
Joe Kidd
The Good The Bad & The Ugly
Silverado
Tombstone

Shane
High Noon
Magnificent Seven
Fistful of Dollars
Unforgiven
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I did - early afternoon.

Like to add two more:

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
The Man Without a Star

Here is my previous list:

Shane
Stagecoach (the original)
Ride the High Country
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
Red River (the original)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Not sure how many times I've seen it over the years.

One John Wayne classic I have not seen mentioned is War Wagon with Kirk Douglas. Always loved Rio Bravo - a young Angie Dickinson....whew. Also - I consider No country for Old Men a modern day western. Storyline with a good guy, a villain, and main character stuck in between

I think everyone connected to PSU should watch the Oxbow Incident and I am glad to see it mentioned.

The Angel and the Badman is a great little film and I am surprised only one person mentioned it. It is a feel good movie and should be in anyone's top 5..

What really surprises me is that no one mentioned Destry Rides Again or the remake with Audie Murphy. Did anyone mention Audie Murphy?

The original Destry Rides Again is a fine film and after watching it you will really appreciate Madeleine Kahn in Blazing Saddles. So go see what the boys in the back room will have. You will love it.

IMHO Once Upon a Time In the West. It starred Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale, Jack Elam, and Jason Robards. I think it was the best of all the Spaghetti Westerns and before the Clint Eastwood era.

one of the best, imo. good call.

If you have never watched The Gunfighter, with Gregory Peck and Millard Mitchell , also Karl Malden, you have not seen all of the top true westerns (i.e. no comedy's or spoofs).

As others have mentioned, Red River should be in any list of top true westerns.

ADVERTISEMENT