Reactions: mn78psu83
My favorite six in order:

1. The Searchers
2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
3. High Noon
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
5. True Grit (original)
6. A Fistful of Dollars
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (one of the most underrated movies ever)
High Noon (classic)
Stage Coach (classic) - and several other John Wayne westerns
Jeremiah Johnson (classic)
Little Big Man (underrated)
The Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
My Little Chickadee (WC Fields, Mae West comedy)

I think you meant Sharon Stone (unless I missed Charlize in this.

Right, my mistake - I don't typically get those two confused...

9dff42a357c8904df8806654e7ded78b.jpg

tumblr_static_4p6nmtib29a8oc0kwcscgocgk.png

Many greats already listed: Searchers, Shane, Outlaw Josey Wales, Jerimiah Johnson, etc.
Here's a couple more that I like and I think not yet added:
Man of The West - Gary Cooper
The Ox-Bow Incident - Henry Fonda
Stagecoach - John Wayne
The Treasure of the Sierra Madres - this movie has one of the best movie lines for me ever:
Badges???????????????????????

Rio Bravo - Like the Duke and the Irish singers. Most great Duke westerns include the beautiful Maureen O'Hara
Last stand at Saber River and Crossfire Trail. Like Tom Selects penchant for authenticity of clothes, weapons etch and I'm a huge fan of Louis L'Amour books/stories - again authenticity of the period about which he wrote
Also favor westerns that include Sam Elliot and/or Ben Johnson e.g. Sachetts, Quick and the Dead
Angel and the Bauman

Many greats already listed: Searchers, Shane, Outlaw Josey Wales, Jerimiah Johnson, etc.
Here's a couple more that I like and I think not yet added:
Man of The West - Gary Cooper
The Ox-Bow Incident - Henry Fonda
Stagecoach - John Wayne
The Treasure of the Sierra Madres - this movie has one of the best movie lines for me ever:
Badges???????????????????????
Yes. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre! Waiting for that one too. A great John Huston film starring Humphrey Bogart. An all-time classic. There is some controversy over whether or not it is a true Western, but it appears on all of the top Western lists I've seen and I say it is.

I'm surprised that there aren't more Randolph Scott films mentioned. Has anyone mentioned his last, "Ride the High Country?" It's worthy for sure.

Have been in touch with a true film guru who I know concerning Westerns. I had asked him for his opinion on "Ride the High Country." This led to a discussion about the Randolph Scott Westerns. Here is his blurb. Good stuff in here.

The so-called "Ranown" westerns were produced by Randolph Scott and Harry Brown (RAN - OWN), and all directed by Budd Boetticher; there are seven in all, and 3 or 4 are truly excellent. Tarantino was a huge fan, and Clint Eastwood later worked with Boetticher and was influenced by his story telling techniques. The Ranowns were distinguished by good screenplays, deceptively simple story lines, good location shooting, Boetticher's singular sense of character, and by hand-picked casts. The straightforward story always features Randolph Scott as a tall-in-the-saddle lone wolf type, and the plot tends to hinge on the character of an ambiguously good-bad man, who sometimes turns out good, and sometimes turns out rotten. Most are under 90 minutes, and several are absolutely worth your time.

The first (and probably best) is "Seven Men From Now," co-starring a young Lee Marvin in the pivotal role; the simple story and traditional characters can't prevent Boetticher from adding amazing depth through dialogue and film technique. Tarantino likes to show his actors a scene with Scott and Gail Russell having a harmless conversation with erotic undertones that just smolders on the screen.

My personal favorite is "Ride Lonesome," with a grim story and a brilliant supporting cast, including Pernell Roberts, Lee Can Cleef, and a young James Coburn. The ending, I think, raises it a notch above the others in terms of story.

"Comanche Station" is perhaps the most representative of the lot, with a simple story that comes out in fits and starts, a solid cast comfortable in their roles, and a dramatic resolution. The tension Boetticher generates between characters is amazing.

The "Tall T" features a more amiable Scott and a great performance from Richard Boone; the story is a but more static, but the cast acquit themselves very well.

The others are "Buchanan Rides Alone," "Decision at Sundown," and "Westbound," which is a notch below the others. Forgotten and inaccessible for years, they have achieved a kind of vogue in recent years because of the loyal support of fans like Eastwood and Tarantino, and they should be readily available on DVD.

Anyway, worth adding to your film vocabulary.

Reactions: Option Bob
Dances with Wolves
Jeremiah Johnson
All of Clint's new or old etc
3:10 to Yuma (Russell Crowe)

The Undefeateday
A Muhl for Sister Sara
Each of the Eastwood "Man with No Name" Trilogies
Open Range
Just about every single Ford Western with John Wayne.

Does the younger generation still enjoy Westerns? I'm 41 and nothing beats a John Wayne Festival on AMC! Great movies!

The Undefeateday
A Muhl for Sister Sara
Each of the Eastwood "Man with No Name" Trilogies
Open Range
Just about every single Ford Western with John Wayne.

Does the younger generation still enjoy Westerns? I'm 41 and nothing beats a John Wayne Festival on AMC! Great movies!
Some of the stories are so good.

Have been in touch with a true film guru who I know concerning Westerns. I had asked him for his opinion on "Ride the High Country." This led to a discussion about the Randolph Scott Westerns. Here is his blurb. Good stuff in here.

The so-called "Ranown" westerns were produced by Randolph Scott and Harry Brown (RAN - OWN), and all directed by Budd Boetticher; there are seven in all, and 3 or 4 are truly excellent. Tarantino was a huge fan, and Clint Eastwood later worked with Boetticher and was influenced by his story telling techniques. The Ranowns were distinguished by good screenplays, deceptively simple story lines, good location shooting, Boetticher's singular sense of character, and by hand-picked casts. The straightforward story always features Randolph Scott as a tall-in-the-saddle lone wolf type, and the plot tends to hinge on the character of an ambiguously good-bad man, who sometimes turns out good, and sometimes turns out rotten. Most are under 90 minutes, and several are absolutely worth your time.

The first (and probably best) is "Seven Men From Now," co-starring a young Lee Marvin in the pivotal role; the simple story and traditional characters can't prevent Boetticher from adding amazing depth through dialogue and film technique. Tarantino likes to show his actors a scene with Scott and Gail Russell having a harmless conversation with erotic undertones that just smolders on the screen.

My personal favorite is "Ride Lonesome," with a grim story and a brilliant supporting cast, including Pernell Roberts, Lee Can Cleef, and a young James Coburn. The ending, I think, raises it a notch above the others in terms of story.

"Comanche Station" is perhaps the most representative of the lot, with a simple story that comes out in fits and starts, a solid cast comfortable in their roles, and a dramatic resolution. The tension Boetticher generates between characters is amazing.

The "Tall T" features a more amiable Scott and a great performance from Richard Boone; the story is a but more static, but the cast acquit themselves very well.

The others are "Buchanan Rides Alone," "Decision at Sundown," and "Westbound," which is a notch below the others. Forgotten and inaccessible for years, they have achieved a kind of vogue in recent years because of the loyal support of fans like Eastwood and Tarantino, and they should be readily available on DVD.

Anyway, worth adding to your film vocabulary.
How could I have forgotten Treasure of Sierra Madre?
I also agree on Randolph Scott. His image as a western idol may have been damaged by the rumor that he liked to ride side-saddle, not that there's anything wrong with that.

1. The Searchers
3. High Noon
5. True Grit (original)
6. A Fistful of Dollars

Director Sam Peckinpah seems to be a forgotten man sometimes! Here goes in no order:

Shane
Stagecoach (the original)
Ride the High Country
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
Red River (the original)

You guys ever see Big Country? Gregory Peck and lots of other stars. Very interesting Texas ranching movie.

You guys ever see Big Country? Gregory Peck and lots of other stars. Very interesting Texas ranching movie.
Long time ago. It's pretty long if I remember correctly. I think Charlton Heston is in it too. Is that the right one?

Rio Bravo over Magnificent 7 with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance coming in for the show.

1. The Searchers
3. High Noon
5. True Grit (original)
6. A Fistful of Dollars

Just about any John Wayne movie.

Long time ago. It's pretty long if I remember correctly. I think Charlton Heston is in it too. Is that the right one?

Yes, and in addition to Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives, Carroll Baker, and Chuck Connors,

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", Lee Marvin was the star :)
Shane
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Fastest Gun Alive
Tombstone

Just wish someone would make more westerns !!!

Didn't see Shane listed - one of the best westerns ever made, IMHO.

Silverado is one of those movies, though not great, is always enjoyable. I always find myself watching it if I find it while channel surfing.

Also, though technically not a movie, Lonesome Dove would be in my top ten.

- The 'Man With No Name' Trilogy
- El Topo (if you like your westerns with a dollop of surrealism)
- Tombstone
- Django Unchained
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (if you like your westerns with a dollop of existentialism)
- 3:10 to Yuma (Russell Crowe re-make)
- Kill Bill Vol. 2

SPOLIERS:
I like the remake of 3:10 to Yuma better. The acting is better. Both endings fail for me though. The original is too facile and easily tied together. The remake is more complex, but I don't see adequate character motivation for Ben Wade, notwithstanding that he had a measure of empathy for Dan Evans, to act in the way he did. It was a surprise though and Mangold put his own stamp on the film.

Last edited:

1. The Searchers
3. High Noon
5. True Grit (original)
6. A Fistful of Dollars
1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2. Tombstone
3. The Magnificent Seven
4. Support Your Local Sheriff
5. Silverado
6. El Dorado
7. Support Your Local Gunfighter
8. The Good Guys and the Bad Guys
9. Hot Lead and Cold Feet
10. Shootout at Medicine Bend

Didn't see Shane listed - one of the best westerns ever made, IMHO.

Silverado is one of those movies, though not great, is always enjoyable. I always find myself watching it if I find it while channel surfing.

Also, though technically not a movie, Lonesome Dove would be in my top ten.
The scene where Shane teaches Joey to shoot is priceless.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
True Grit (original)
Open Range
The Wild Bunch
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Pale Rider
The Cowboys
The Magnificent Seven
High Noon
The Unforgiven (Eastwood)

How could I have forgotten Treasure of Sierra Madre?
I also agree on Randolph Scott. His image as a western idol may have been damaged by the rumor that he liked to ride side-saddle, not that there's anything wrong with that.
"You'd do it for Randolph Scott."

Reactions: jj410
ADVERTISEMENT