ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Nebraska dual - Sun, Feb 18

I think the good news is that there isn't anybody Kasak can't go with at 149. Every week he gets smarter, hopefully he's peaking at the right time.
I agree. I also thought he was super conservative last year maybe I was wrong. He seems to think a lot on the mat I like his trajectory

Reactions: RB-Old
what do we think about bartlett getting injury time to bail him out of the go ahead takedown with 30 seconds left?

i’m sure he’s being pilloried like rathjen, right @RB-Old ? is bartlett the new desanto?
That wasn't a guaranteed takedown. Desanto on the other hand was locked in a cradle. Typical Iowa fan what aboutism

Especially when you consider they won't need him again until 25-26
I said this the other day if he takes a red shirt he will be a beast. Something like Zain did coming off a red shirt. This kid is good no doubt I don't think there's a big fall off between him and Van Ness just different styles

Reactions: RB-Old
Still like what I see out of Davis. I watched a lot of Davis matches his senior year and thought he was going to be a really good wrestler for us. It’s interesting to see how the roles change. In the beginning, he was the unknown guy and the hunter. Then with his success, he became the hunted. Now he can go back to being the hunter. I still think he is every bit a dangerous guy to have to go up against.
He had riding time. If it were tournament time, he probably takes neutral in third and has four minutes to score. But our coaching staff considers the regular season as “practice” and probably wanted him to work off bottom.

Reactions: hlstone
I feel like any kid who starts screaming on a head inside single leg would get a PD call.

Look I think everyone knows what you’re saying and probably thinks it shouldn’t be blown. But they’re always blowing that dead in 2024 when a wrestler starts screaming in pain (and have for years).

It’s like complaining that the NFL throws flags for unavoidable head hits. It’s just what’s going to happen now, accept and move on.
Agreed on all points. If only Jason Nolf would've screamed out against John Van Brill of Rutgers at their match in 2018. I remember watching that bout and could see that situation developing a mile away with a need for a PD call asap and the ref totally missed it. Fortunately, Nolf being Nolf was able to miraculously overcome that injury and win the NCAA championship later, basically on one leg. The refs need to protect the wrestlers at all costs, erring on the side of caution in every situation.

From Tim Owens, Staff Writer of the Happy Valley Insider:
"The Nittany Lions were trailing, 9-7, at the time. After dropping two of the first four bouts in front of an audience of 8,319 at the RAC, Jason Nolf took the mat against John Van Brill at 157 pounds. Nolf held a 1-point lead in the second period and appeared to be in control of what was supposed to be his 47th-straight win. But when he attempted a low single leg early in the period, it turned into yet another funk scramble. As they rolled, Nolf’s right leg got caught awkwardly in between the legs of Van Brill, who also was locking the foot. Nolf abruptly called for injury time. A situation that often draws a stalemate or potentially dangerous, a protest from head coach Cael Sanderson and his bench drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, which negated a team point."

Side note: I was surprised reading that article how tight some of the bouts were in that 2018 RU meet. Even some of our hammers had close matches. Really makes you appreciate our current talent throughout our entire lineup. Seems somewhat timely with all the recent posts about our current lineup lacking excitement in comparison to the past.

https://pennstate.rivals.com/news/wrestling-nolf-injured-at-rutgers-as-psu-prevails-25-15

I said this the other day if he takes a red shirt he will be a beast. Something like Zain did coming off a red shirt. This kid is good no doubt I don't think there's a big fall off between him and Van Ness just different styles
I think Kasak is a 141 and he's going to be a beast down there.

Reactions: District four
I made the photo with my sister. Top right corner with masks on. Had a great time thanks to @82bordeaux.

Might make Edinboro, but definitely can’t wait for our boys to celebrate a similar picture in KC next month!
Looks like Carter’s hat is elevated and not touching his head.

It'll be tricky for him to ever crack the lineup then since SVN has 3 years left.
Youre assuming Van Ness comes back and beats Kaysak. Beau had all he could do to beat Kasak this year as a Freshman. Kasak's frame will give Van Ness trouble. I stood near Van Ness after match yesterday. He had a knee brace on and held Big Ten trophy. He's not that tall.

Last edited:
I'm fine with people saying they think the ref made a mistake in calling PD. That's normal venting, and misconception of a situation in real time is bound to happen. Maybe he was quick on the whistle--but he did his most important job and protected the athletes. What starts to annoy me is when people start thinking it's a conspiracy, or that the sport is failing because of widespread incompetence. The refs are pros--not above reproach, but I think wrestling fans love to talk about the falling sky when in fact these guys are typically doing a very difficult job very well.
My personal pissing and moaning about refs story. My oldest daughter played fastpitch softball from elementary to college. So I spent a lot of time at the softball fields. I was not shy about complaining to umpires about calls made. A few years later I decided to become a PIAA fastpitch umpire. I passed the written test, attended local umpire meetings and umpired little league, junior high and jv games for several seasons. I will never give a ref a bag of crap about a call anymore! I am not saying refs always make good calls (I had my fair share of mistakes) but I now have walked in their shoes. Maybe some in our crowd should try them on, I would encourage others to seriously consider becoming a ref!

Last edited:
Side note: I was surprised reading that article how tight some of the bouts were in that 2018 RU meet. Even some of our hammers had close matches. Really makes you appreciate our current talent throughout our entire lineup. Seems somewhat timely with all the recent posts about our current lineup lacking excitement in comparison to the past.

https://pennstate.rivals.com/news/wrestling-nolf-injured-at-rutgers-as-psu-prevails-25-15
That was the Rutgers Fight Club match. Mike Tyson thought there was excessive head clubbing.

go look at how posters on here were reacting when it happened in the other thread. that’s what i was responding to.
On a Penn State message board? You don’t say?
Meanwhile, social media was 10-1 getting on BB and mostly not even bringing up the Iowa instance. I didn’t even know about it until FRL today and I watched a lot of that duel (admittedly I missed the 149 match).

I haven't seen Rathjen get remotely as much crap as Beau has anywhere but yes same situation there if you think Rathjen was faking.
That’s mostly (at least on social media) because everyone likes to come at the king, let’s be honest. If the identical thing happens in any other top 10 ranked matchup not involving Penn State, Adam Tirapelle (who I think is smart) and Corby don’t act like the Mona Lisa was just stolen

This is not a sensical take IMO. Wrestlers are looking to escape, stalemate, or score. Surely it is less than 1% of wrestlers who think, “I’m gonna risk injury and put myself in danger here to get a PD call.”

And despite your list of recent examples of “bad” PD calls, PD calls really don’t get called that often for this to be an issue. And when they do, I’m in favor of deferring to the ref on the mat who is seeing and hearing data points I don’t have, including history with specific wrestlers. I say err on the side of caution and prematurely call PD ever time rather than run the risk of torching a wrestler’s season, or worse, their career.
I remember Nolf against Rutgers and wishing the ref would have called PD. I get pissed sometimes when PD is called when it looks like our guy was about to get a TD or turn. Then I remember a couple of guys (from various teams) who got hurt when no PD was called and I calm down and continue rooting. It happens. I would rather see it called too often and/or too soon than not enough or too late.

I remember Nolf against Rutgers and wishing the ref would have called PD. I get pissed sometimes when PD is called when it looks like our guy was about to get a TD or turn. Then I remember a couple of guys (from various teams) who got hurt when no PD was called and I calm down and continue rooting. It happens. I would rather see it called too often and/or too soon than not enough or too late.
I remember the clubbing and slapping by the RU wrestlers in that match. Then the look on Jason's face when he got injured. I immediately felt sick to my stomach, on top of already being po'd at the extra curriculars being allowed.

Reactions: danoftw
There was a really loud guy behind us in N4U who loved to call out for "stalling" incessantly. I think it was a refugee from Iowa.

One match he was calling for stalling, I kid you not, less than 5 seconds into the first period of one match. SMH.
I just re-watched the dual meet. The match where I yelled for stalling was at 165. The Nebby guy off the whistle backed up to a foot of the outer circle within 3 seconds. That is stalling.

When I reffed I have made that call many times.

Cael asked the fans at a recent presser to get more vocal and I am just doing my part. 🙂

If a wrestler has shown a pattern of taking injury time then people would have a case, but Beau has wrestled over 80 matches and never before took injury time.

Reactions: mcpat
I have officiated at both the high school and collegiate levels and coaches just want consistency, maybe u just go to step out rule as in freestyle to avoid judgement call

I have officiated at both the high school and collegiate levels and coaches just want consistency, maybe u just go to step out rule as in freestyle to avoid judgement call

I have seen situations where one wrestler voluntarily leaves the wrestling area with both feet without being touched or pushed (in fact, it happened Sunday - a Nebraska wrestler voluntarily left the wrestling circle with both feet without being pushed or shoved there) - this is permitted to happen in Folk because action is not stopped unless both wrestlers go fully out of circle. This is not permitted in Free (fleeing the mat) and should not be permitted in Folk (but it is permitted in Folk where Stalling is called very subjectively and often in the favor of only one of the wrestlers). It is absurd that Folk gives a defensive advantage to a wrestler who voluntarily chooses to leave the mat and wrestle from OB! Any wrestler who voluntarily puts both their feet OB without being touched while the other wrestler is still inside the circle, should instantaneously generate a Stall Call for fleeing the mat.

A wrestler should be put on a count if either foot, or both, go OB while being pushed by opponent - they should have a 3-count to return fully in-bounds or be hit with stalling. Wrestlers should not be permitted an advantage by wrestling the edge - quite the contrary, they should be penalized as it is a clear form of stalling. What Smith did to avoid being taken down while in the grasp should generate a stall call 100% of the time for "fleeing the mat" while engaged and using OB to avoid being taken down. A wrestler should be forced to scramble and defend toward in-bounds - using the edge as a defense mechanism should not be permitted and should be penalized 100% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT