ADVERTISEMENT

More Upsets: Down goes Vito

I spoke to a family member that knows Crookham real well over Thanksgiving. I asked what his off season weight was and how much he's benching. He was around 160 pounds and benching 350. He is going to be a handful against anybody.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I spoke to a family member that knows Crookham real well over Thanksgiving. I asked what his off season weight was and how much he's benching. He was around 160 pounds and benching 350. He is going to be a handful against anybody.
When I graduated from high school at age 17 my weight was 125 and I benched 250. Now I weigh 250 and bench 125. I’m a hand full for my wife 😉

While anybody benching 2.2 X their body weight is impressive; it's good to remember a couple of things.

1.) The bench is like fishing. Everybody exaggerates.

2.) Wrestling is a pulling sport, not a pushing sport.

2,) High power to weight ratios are usually accompanied by shorter arms; which is a lot of cases a detriment in wrestling.

3,) Nobody has every had their arm raised because of their bench (or deadlift, if you are a tOSU lurker) and putting excessive pressure on shoulders that are already subjected to extraordinary stress for the sake of vanity is kind of dumb.

In 2016 NSCA All-American Strength and Conditioning Athletes of the Year | NSCA.com cited two 184 pounders for their bench. One was Gabe Dean (whose 365 bench didn't stop Nickal) and Ben Ralston of Michigan whose 345 didn't amount to anything like AA status.

Reactions: mn78psu83
When I graduated from high school at age 17 my weight was 125 and I benched 250. Now I weigh 250 and bench 125. I’m a hand full for my wife 😉

Damn, I feel better. I went from 180 to as high as 261, currently low 240's.

I figure as long as I can do 185 for 12, that's ok for for my age.

While anybody benching 2.2 X their body weight is impressive; it's good to remember a couple of things.

1.) The bench is like fishing. Everybody exaggerates.

2.) Wrestling is a pulling sport, not a pushing sport.

2,) High power to weight ratios are usually accompanied by shorter arms; which is a lot of cases a detriment in wrestling.

3,) Nobody has every had their arm raised because of their bench (or deadlift, if you are a tOSU lurker) and putting excessive pressure on shoulders that are already subjected to extraordinary stress for the sake of vanity is kind of dumb.

In 2016 NSCA All-American Strength and Conditioning Athletes of the Year | NSCA.com cited two 184 pounders for their bench. One was Gabe Dean (whose 365 bench didn't stop Nickal) and Ben Ralston of Michigan whose 345 didn't amount to anything like AA status.
So Gabe Dean (who, by the way, had a rib injury when he wrestled NCAAs that year) benched 365, and Crookham benched 350? Yeah, I'll buy that.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
As far as my comment about Crookham and his bench weight. I was told when he graduated high school he was benching close to 300.
2 years later I was told he was benching
quote " around 350" from someone that would have knowledge of it. It seemed a high number to me but even if it the story was stretched a little I am confotable in saying he's going to be stronger than 95% of his opponents. What's odd to me is that he has a pretty good gas tank . Most muscle guys sacrifice stamina in this sport.

As far as my comment about Crookham and his bench weight. I was told when he graduated high school he was benching close to 300.
2 years later I was told he was benching
quote " around 350" from someone that would have knowledge of it. It seemed a high number to me but even if it the story was stretched a little I am confotable in saying he's going to be stronger than 95% of his opponents. What's odd to me is that he has a pretty good gas tank . Most muscle guys sacrifice stamina in this sport.
He's benching about what I'm doing now. Question - which arm, right or left? :rolleyes:

Did anyone catch why Fix didn't wrestle Crookham tonight?
Duck Reaction GIF by PLAYMOBIL

Reactions: dbldoofus

So, "If they could've wrestled, they would've" and they "could have" wrestled, but were held out purely because of caution? I guess I don't quite understand that one. Smells like something is cooking at OKST!

bbc two cooking GIF by BBC

Last edited:
I saw Fix walking around with the Ok State guys at CKLV. He didn’t wrestle there either, but he wasn’t limping or doing anything that suggested he was nursing an injury. Hard to tell what is really going on with him right now.

To be fair, as I recall Fix has always wrestled just about anyone anywhere. I’m no particular fan of Fix/Ok State, but he has a pretty lengthy history of not ducking, if I recall correctly.

That said, Smith’s incongruous double speak above doesn’t help the situation a bit.

To be fair, as I recall Fix has always wrestled just about anyone anywhere. I’m no particular fan of Fix/Ok State, but he has a pretty lengthy history of not ducking, if I recall correctly.

That said, Smith’s incongruous double speak above doesn’t help the situation a bit.
I mean, he is 45 now. It takes longer to prepare his body and recover at that age.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT