ADVERTISEMENT

More Upsets: Down goes Vito

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Vito was the hottest wrestler winning a NCAA and world title. Wrestling has always been crazy but this year the parity is unreal.

No one is safe at 125 and 133

• Wow
Reactions: OzarkLion
I'm someone who loves PSU wrestling, but I don't know who are all the player names at the other schools. I think others may have the same problem. I see the name Vito often but I would like full names with their school. If you don't care, I'm Gene Ott PSU 1966. Thanks

And the 125 reference is Matt Ramos, NCAA runner up who pinned Spencer Lee, lost to a (great) high school student and another wrestler this week. He was ranked #1 at 125.

Vito Arajou, Cornell’s returning NCAA champ at 133 - beat RBY last year in NCAA finals.
And also won the World Championships this year at 61Kg in Freestyle. Lost to a (very good, PSU wanted) Freshman:

Vito looked gassed. He truly is an enigma. He looked like a shadow of the Vito who dominated at NCAAs last year.

Reactions: matter7172
I actually think Vito looked okay--good even--but Crookham just looked a little better. Vito only "gassed," if that, at the very end, but I think that was perhaps more about the score than his tank. Crookham had a particular advantage inasmuch as Vito's game is known to him but the converse isn't true. I imagine the next time they face each other Vito will be better prepared.

In my mind that match is what is wrong with college wrestling. Vito chased and shot and Crookham backed up and backed up and no hint of a stall call. Crookham had some great counters and flurries, but if Vito could have gotten a couple well deserved stall calls and Crookham had to come into Vito, I think Vito wins by 6 or more?

I actually think Vito looked okay--good even--but Crookham just looked a little better. Vito only "gassed," if that, at the very end, but I think that was perhaps more about the score than his tank. Crookham had a particular advantage inasmuch as Vito's game is known to him but the converse isn't true. I imagine the next time they face each other Vito will be better prepared.
You thought Vito looked "good". I think if we saw that Vito at NCAAs RBY would have won easily. He looked completely different from NCAAs. JMO.

Reactions: Ski
In my mind that match is what is wrong with college wrestling. Vito chased and shot and Crookham backed up and backed up and no hint of a stall call. Crookham had some great counters and flurries, but if Vito could have gotten a couple well deserved stall calls and Crookham had to come into Vito, I think Vito wins by 6 or more?
Vito not attempting to put on a hard ride when he got the takedown w/47 sec left in the first period turned out to be a four point swing as Crookham got the counter takedown at the end of the first. Crookham did get a stall call w/23 sec left in the first (in the third period the announcer mistakenly said Crookham had no stall calls on him).

Don't disagree with you, but not sure I agree with the wins by 6.... The one thing Crookham showed was some pretty sick scrambling skills - Vito had him dead-to-rights multiple times, but couldn't finish. Two of the times Crookham got the takedown - he out-scrambled one of the bests scramblers out there. Again, don't disagree that with your point about Crookham getting away with too much stalling (especially in the first).

You thought Vito looked "good". I think if we saw that Vito at NCAAs RBY would have won easily. He looked completely different from NCAAs. JMO.
I agree that this Vito loses to RBY, but not easily. I think Crookham deserves some credit here. Vito lost the match on two exchanges where he typically prevails, the first because he appeared to concede rather than fight, the second because he stopped halfway through. He took Crookham lightly and paid.

Par for the course with Vito, he’s always been very inconsistent, come NCAA’s he might be on again and untouchable.
Agreed. Vito has some head scratching performances, close calls, and losses. Then he'll have times when he seems to flip a switch and looks unbeatable. I suspect we'll see something closer to the unbeatable version at NCAAs, assuming he makes it there healthy.

Vito looked gassed. He truly is an enigma. He looked like a shadow of the Vito who dominated at NCAAs last year.
Vito has always been inconsistent. We all saw the very best of Vito in the semis and finals of NCAAs last year, but he also has had a number of really ugly losses sprinkled throughout his career.

Reactions: crockster
I’m way more inclined to give credit to Ryan than wonder or try and guess what Vito did or didn’t do.

With that said it took alot of “luck” to win that match. “Luck” isn’t the right word but a lot of things had to break his way to get the upset.

I viewed the ending of the first period as a 5 point swing not 4.

As a casual observer I also thought Vito shot standing up and from farther away than usual. No clue how to put that in wrestling terms but lo center of gravity is what I’m thinking.

I haven’t seen too many people get walked back to the center of the mat with the leg in the air and still fend off the take down in the manner in how it happened. Frickin good stuff.

Makes me wonder how Nagao is going to match up. Getting a takedown is going to be challenging . My prediction here is bleak at the moment but one match does not make a season.

The article below provides a good deal of insight into Ryan probably old news for you PA high school buffs .

Reactions: danoftw
I don't think anyone doubts what Vito is capable of. But you have to admit he's a bit less consistent than most guys with his ability.
Are we arguing again?? Lol, im just guessing that Vito isnt worrying (maybe he just doesnt care haha) about matches in mid november. He’s had an amazing year and I fully expect that Vito too show back up when the lights are bright.

Reactions: bwfight
I’m way more inclined to give credit to Ryan than wonder or try and guess what Vito did or didn’t do.

With that said it took alot of “luck” to win that match. “Luck” isn’t the right word but a lot of things had to break his way to get the upset.

As a casual observer I also thought Vito shot standing up and from farther away than usual. No clue how to put that in wrestling terms but lo center of gravity is what I’m thinking.

I haven’t seen too many people get walked back to the center of the mat with the leg in the air and still fend off the take down in the manner in how it happened. Frickin good stuff.

Makes me wonder how Nagao is going to match up. Getting a takedown is going to be challenging . My prediction here is bleak at the moment but one match does not make a season.

The article below provides a good deal of insight into Ryan probably old news for you PA high school buffs .

Yeah, definitely not taking anything away from Crookham, either. He is the real deal.

Vito peaks in March, when it counts. Its early in the season, and Crookham was moving backwards a lot during the match, which I think confused Vito a little. Crookham didn't stay in ties long at all, which I think further confused/frustrated Vito. Big Crookham fan, but when they wrestle when it counts, my money is on Vito

Are we arguing again?? Lol, im just guessing that Vito isnt worrying (maybe he just doesnt care haha) about matches in mid november. He’s had an amazing year and I fully expect that Vito too show back up when the lights are bright.
Naw, I agree with you--I'd be very surprised if Vito doesn't make the finals at 133--provided he's not doing so at closer to 57kg in prep for OTT, anyway. Heck, it seems like just last week, I was picking him to win Olympic Gold at 57. 😂

If he is underweight, I think it gets more interesting, as power/gas against your Fix/Crookham types may be a real issue (See Gilman vs. him at Final X a while back, for another example).

Naw, I agree with you--I'd be very surprised if Vito doesn't make the finals at 133--provided he's not doing so at closer to 57kg in prep for OTT, anyway. Heck, it seems like just last week, I was picking him to win Olympic Gold at 57. 😂

If he is underweight, I think it gets more interesting, as power/gas against your Fix/Crookham types may be a real issue (See Gilman vs. him at Final X a while back, for another example).
If the Vito we saw at words can effectively make 57, I don't see how he is anything but the favorite at 57. But that is a big IF

What was the story or lack thereof with Crookham and PSU?

He was a huge recruit and us with an obvious gap after RBY, I was puzzled at the time why we didn't seem to be a front runner. Personality mismatch, grades, or does he or his family have a history with Lehigh?

I think Vito takes him the next time they meet, but you can't take anything away from that accomplishment and Ryan is likely a future national champion at some point.

PS, no evidence whatsoever, but I don't feel like Vito saw the best version of RBY last March. Something seemed off. Even so, Vito ran roughshod at worlds. Impressive!

He was a huge recruit and us with an obvious gap after RBY, I was puzzled at the time why we didn't seem to be a front runner. Personality mismatch, grades, or does he or his family have a history with Lehigh?

I think Vito takes him the next time they meet, but you can't take anything away from that accomplishment and Ryan is likely a future national champion at some point.

PS, no evidence whatsoever, but I don't feel like Vito saw the best version of RBY last March. Something seemed off. Even so, Vito ran roughshod at worlds. Impressive!
I work with his Dads cousin from time to time. Before Ryan made his choice, he told me he thought Ryan would choose PSU and then after the decision he was surprised. EL Jefe I believe was confident hed go to Lehigh. I can tell you though it wasnt grades. Hes a smart kid.

Reactions: hlstone
Vito has always been inconsistent. We all saw the very best of Vito in the semis and finals of NCAAs last year, but he also has had a number of really ugly losses sprinkled throughout his career.
Vito has eight losses in his college career, by a total of 28 points. This loss; a 3-2 loss to Latona last year (when Vito was battling something physical); two losses (one the only bonus loss he's ever had) to (eventual NCAA champion) Glory his soph year; and two losses to SeaBass, a loss to Glory, and a loss to Chaz Tucker who went 32-0 in the NCAA-cancelled season. That's the complete list of his collegiate losses. Which of those losses, in your estimation, were "really ugly losses?" And what is the "number" you are thinking of?

Vito peaks in March, when it counts. Its early in the season, and Crookham was moving backwards a lot during the match, which I think confused Vito a little. Crookham didn't stay in ties long at all, which I think further confused/frustrated Vito. Big Crookham fan, but when they wrestle when it counts, my money is on Vito
It was as if Arujau had never faced Lehigh before.

Oddly enough, this was only his third match against a Lehigh opponent.
NM, do you have any insight into Vito's weight plan this year WRT to trials, etc? It seems him and Carter particularly have a difficult choice in terms of when to descend. I obviously have no clue what Carter's plan is, but I figured I'd ask.

Reactions: bwfight
I work with his Dads cousin from time to time. Before Ryan made his choice, he told me he thought Ryan would choose PSU and then after the decision he was surprised. EL Jefe I believe was confident hed go to Lehigh. I can tell you though it wasnt grades. Hes a smart kid.

Generally speaking, Lehigh is more difficult academically to gain admittance than PSU. So of course it wasn’t grades.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Actually it was @Callthestall who's in the Lehigh Valley. I thought Crookham was headed our way almost until he committed.

I suspect staying local was a big factor. Both of Crookham's high schools are within 15 min of Lehigh. And several college teammates are locals, so he'd have more built-in familiarity.

Pretty sure Ryan was locked in on Lehigh very early. It's a fantastic school, with a great staff, great RTC and local to him.

Agree with everything you said above with the exception of "luck." (which you stated wasn't the right word). I would substitute tactics. Vito's tactics were for sh&t this match and Ryan's were elite (as usual).

As for Aaron, highly, highly doubtful that Crookham will take down against him (he didn't against McGonigle), so Aaron's going to have to win 1-0 or do something very difficult - get a TD against him.

Reactions: Bosox2004
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT