165 Daniel Lewis (Missouri) TF Austin Reese (Ohio) 17-1, 7:00
174 Blaise Butler (Missouri) dec Cody Walters (Ohio) 5-4
184 Willie Miklus (Missouri) dec Andrew Romanchik (Ohio) 9-3
197 Phil Wellington (Ohio) WBF J`Den Cox (Missouri) 3:26
285 James Romero (Missouri) dec Jesse Webb (Ohio) 8-4
125 Barlow McGhee (Missouri) dec Shakur Laney (Ohio) 3-1
133 Zach Synon (Missouri) dec Cameron Kelly (Ohio) 8-4
141 Matt Manley (Missouri) dec Noah Forrider (Ohio) 6-5 TB1

I don't know which is more unbelievable...Cox getting pinned or Brewer getting pinned. WOW!!!

Well, that'll teach me to rely on Track. The match is on ESPN3 streaming archives. I'll check it out as soon as I can get past the buffering.

Reactions: lionlover
Finally saw it. Cox drove Wellington into the scorer's table from the center of the mat. Cox did a crotch lift when they were already at the boundary, after a 6-step running start. Wellington came down vertically, with his head landing directly on the exposed basketball hardwood. Wellington's knee hit the front of the table, dislodged it by about 3 feet, and broke the glass ad.

Wellington eventually was able to walk off on his own power. I hope he's OK, and if so their rematch at the MAC tourney should be interesting.

Here it is:

Extremely scary moment. I don't think Cox was trying to hurt him, but Wellington was lucky that he didn't appear to be seriously injured. When Wellington decided he couldn't continue, Cox was not happy about it and let his emotions get the best of him. Can't say I've seen anything like that before.

Extremely scary moment. I don't think Cox was trying to hurt him, but Wellington was lucky that he didn't appear to be seriously injured. When Wellington decided he couldn't continue, Cox was not happy about it and let his emotions get the best of him. Can't say I've seen anything like that before.
I agree with this take. The tweet doesn't show how bad it was. For that, need to see the side replay on the ESPN video stream (a little over 1 hr into the dual). Wellington is very fortunate to not be paralyzed with a broken neck.he

I don't think it was intentional -- have never heard of Cox being dirty. I do think it was reckless, and Cox probably didn't notice how close he was to the floor when he did the crotch lift.

I'd bet Cox would feel pretty bad about it if he sees the replay. It's a tough sport where things happen, but this was a bit more than "things happen."

This match victory by Missouri sets them up to participate in the Dual Championship Series. Ohio U. was the closest ranked MAC team. It's early, but I don't see them losing in their conference.

The two have a history. Cox has actually lost to him before. The way Wellington's head hit the floor is very scary. Cox has been really jacked up this year. He would be best served getting his emotions under control. His behavior afterward should have him miss a match or two. I think his coach needs to do something.

The two have a history. Cox has actually lost to him before. The way Wellington's head hit the floor is very scary. Cox has been really jacked up this year. He would be best served getting his emotions under control. His behavior afterward should have him miss a match or two. I think his coach needs to do something.
It was at the very least, a complete lack of awareness of his position on the mat....and for as far off the edge he went, even a bit more unusual. No way to assess intent, but the stall call and DQ was the correct call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT