ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Martin coming off redshirt...

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
...or is he? This from tOSU Website...

PROJECTED MATCH-UPS 125: #1 Nathan Tomasello (9-0) vs. #8 Barlow McGhee (10-3)
133: #5 Johnni DiJulius (9-0) vs. #14 Zach Synon (10-3) OR John Erneste (7-2)
141: #8 Micah Jordan (12-0) vs. #13 Matt Manley (16-4) OR Le'Roy Barnes (6-2)
149: Cody Burcher (10-4) vs. #5 Lavion Mayes (11-0)
157: #14 Jake Ryan (9-0) vs. Matt Lemanowicz (4-3) OR Luke Fortuna (12-4)
165: #2 Bo Jordan (5-0) OR Justin Kresevic (7-6) vs. #9 Daniel Lewis (11-2) OR Nick DeLoach (6-3)
174: Myles Martin (18-2) OR Dominic Prezzia (13-7) vs. #9 Blaise Butler OR Cody Johnson (0-0)
184: #11 Kenny Courts (10-3) vs. #6 Willie Miklus
197: Mark Martin (12-3) vs. #2 J'Den Cox
285: #18 Nick Tavanello (11-2) vs. James Romero

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if Myles' father Gregory comments, since he recently stated on the tOSU board that he thought Myles should continue to redshirt this year, partly b/c tOSU was in a reload year, and partly b/c he felt Myles wasn't mentally ready.

...or is he? This from tOSU Website...

PROJECTED MATCH-UPS 125: #1 Nathan Tomasello (9-0) vs. #8 Barlow McGhee (10-3)
133: #5 Johnni DiJulius (9-0) vs. #14 Zach Synon (10-3) OR John Erneste (7-2)
141: #8 Micah Jordan (12-0) vs. #13 Matt Manley (16-4) OR Le'Roy Barnes (6-2)
149: Cody Burcher (10-4) vs. #5 Lavion Mayes (11-0)
157: #14 Jake Ryan (9-0) vs. Matt Lemanowicz (4-3) OR Luke Fortuna (12-4)
165: #2 Bo Jordan (5-0) OR Justin Kresevic (7-6) vs. #9 Daniel Lewis (11-2) OR Nick DeLoach (6-3)
174: Myles Martin (18-2) OR Dominic Prezzia (13-7) vs. #9 Blaise Butler OR Cody Johnson (0-0)
184: #11 Kenny Courts (10-3) vs. #6 Willie Miklus
197: Mark Martin (12-3) vs. #2 J'Den Cox
285: #18 Nick Tavanello (11-2) vs. James Romero

I dunno, but that lineup will have me worried in a PSU/OSU dual meet.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
If it happens Bo Jo would be locked in at 165. I think he has a better shot at 174 because Dieringer isn't there, but tOSU is definitely a threat with Myles at 174. We'll miss out on Bo v Bo too. But Dieringer v Bo Jo is more interesting than Dieringer vs pretty much anyone else at 165, so there's upside from a wrestling fan perspective.

Might force Smith's hand at 157 too, though he's got time to see how Blees/Marsteller develop.

This is the dual where we'll miss Nevills. My gut feeling on each matchup and napkin math have it tied going into the heavies.

Impressive that Martin already has 20 matches under his belt before Christmas Are unattached wrestlers restricted in terms of the number and of tourneys or matches they participate in (besides footing the bill for travel, registration, etc.)?

Here's how I would see it:
125: Toss-up
133: tOSU favored
141: Toss-up
149: PSU lock
157: PSU lock
165: tOSU lock
174: PSU favored
184: Toss-up
197: PSU lock
HWT: tOSU lock

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
I've got it 18-12 PSU going into HWT, maybe 18-13. NaTo Dec. 3-0, JDJ Dec. 6-0, Micah dec. 9-0, Zain MDec 9-4, Nolf MDec 9-8, BoJo Dec (or major) 12-8 (13-8?), Nickal dec. 12-11, Cutch dec 14-12, Smack MDec 18-12. Could see the first 3 going either way though

I've got it 18-12 PSU going into HWT, maybe 18-13. NaTo Dec. 3-0, JDJ Dec. 6-0, Micah dec. 9-0, Zain MDec 9-4, Nolf MDec 9-8, BoJo Dec (or major) 12-8 (13-8?), Nickal dec. 12-11, Cutch dec 14-12, Smack MDec 18-12. Could see the first 3 going either way though

One thing you can always count on in a dual meet, it will NOT go the way anyone expects it to go. See the VT dual for the latest example of this.

Like the VT match, 125 will be a big one. I'll breather easier if Nico wins that one.

Impressive that Martin already has 20 matches under his belt before Christmas Are unattached wrestlers restricted in terms of the number and of tourneys or matches they participate in (besides footing the bill for travel, registration, etc.)?
No, no restriction, though almost all available competitions for unattached wrestlers (RS's for example) end at the New Year Holiday.

Nevills may be back be then....Hearing he is ahead in the healing process which is great....
That'd be a super quick recovery, if he's gonna be back by then I hope they make sure that muscles is ready to go 100 pct (I'm sure they will)

Nevills may be back be then....Hearing he is ahead in the healing process which is great....

Heard something similar from a very credible source. I'd be careful about expecting too much too soon though. There may be an additional rehab process required for that kind of injury. Any PTs here know about this?

Reactions: Maddog
Heard something similar from a very credible source. I'd be careful about expecting too much too soon though. There may be an additional rehab process required for that kind of injury. Any PTs here know about this?
Sorry, but I missed a good description of Nevills injury? Details?
Sure would be nice to get him back even for late season.

I think he tore his pectoral muscle most of the way off the bone. I'm guessing it feels as nasty as it sounds.

Reactions: lionlover
Looks like Ryan just called out Martin and his family, publicly. Not that Ryan is shy about that, but still, wow.

Sorry, but I missed a good description of Nevills injury? Details?
Sure would be nice to get him back even for late season.

For privacy reasons, legal reasons, etc., there really has not been a full, public explanation of what happened. Nevills was a color analyst on a radio broadcast, and gave more details at that time that have been offered in any other setting. You can read a summary of what he said at THIS LINK. (It's at the bottom of the article.)

I believe the injury took place in late October. There have been hints that Nevills might make it back this season, though based on what we know (again, limited) about the injury, there is a lot of questions about whether he can make it back before the end of the season.

Looks like Ryan just called out Martin and his family, publicly. Not that Ryan is shy about that, but still, wow.

I guess with his being in uniform (but not wrestling) for the Mizzou dual, and the comments of his father, plus BoJo wrestling @165 against Mizzou, there have been a lot of questions asked about Martin. Still, I think they (Ohio State team) would have been best served by leaving things ambiguous, along the lines that they constantly are evaluating lineup options, and left it at that.

Related...

Ohio State Wrestling ‏@wrestlingbucks 1h1 hour ago

Is Bo staying at 165. #askcoachryan pic.twitter.com/bB7Sh9TsGH

CWSLgiDWIAAXSCN.jpg

9:40 AM - 15 Dec 2015 · Details
14 retweets 25 likes

Reactions: lionlover

I don't get that he called anyone out. It looks like a question was asked and he answered it. With the exception of Iowa, insert any other coach or redshirting wrestler from the contenders and I think the answer would sound similar.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Even ignoring Martin's father's message board comments about wanting Myles to shirt ... "first criteria" is saying Martin and his father aren't on board with winning a team title.

Even ignoring Martin's father's message board comments about wanting Myles to shirt ... "first criteria" is saying Martin and his father aren't on board with winning a team title.

If people were to be honest...this would read they are on board with winning a team title but not at the expense of personal goals.

Thats what I and many others witnessed at the NLO and then read (albeit into) in his various postings.

FWIW that aspect of an individual sport will never leave. Hard to find guys like Q, Morgan, etc that would put the team ahead of themselves.

This is a call out.....maybe a shout out. I am all for personal goals in this very individual of sports. You want to take an Olympic redshirt, no problem. You want to train for a year some place else and focus on personal goals, no problem. You want to stay in "The Room" but you don't want to help the guys you tangle with every day win a National Championship?

Whatever.

Reactions: LHavenlion
If people were to be honest...this would read they are on board with winning a team title but not at the expense of personal goals.

Thats what I and many others witnessed at the NLO and then read (albeit into) in his various postings.

FWIW that aspect of an individual sport will never leave. Hard to find guys like Q, Morgan, etc that would put the team ahead of themselves.
I guess I could've said "fully on board" or similar ... but I'll admit I'm a bit of an absolutist on the language. It's kinda like my friends who say they don't smoke except when they're drinking -- then you smoke.

But to be less stringent: if Martin isn't really on board, that's one thing. If he just needs some help accepting it, that's another. Either way, isn't that the coach's job? Saying this publicly is an admission. Plus, Ryan traveled Martin to Missouri and suited him up, even though Martin had not yet agreed to pull the shirt -- kinda hard to see the reasoning there -- motivational stunt? Just a strange situation all around.

Q and Morgan ... true enough, and maybe others have needed more (private) convincing than they did, but funny how the guys go along with Cael even if they're not 100% thrilled at the time. It's almost like they trust him or something.

Reactions: psualt
Maybe he didn't wrestle him in mizzou because he was worried if Jordan could be effective at 165 still, and maybe him and Jordan talked afterwards and he reassured coach Ryan that he can do it. if Martin wasn't completely on board he wouldn't have taken the trip no one can force him to go if his wrestlers didn't trust him they would have never went to Ohio State to wrestle for him in the first place

Last edited:
Maybe he didn't wrestle him in mizzou because he was worried if Jordan could be effective at 165 still, and maybe him and Jordan talked afterwards and he reassured coach Ryan that he can do it. if Martin wasn't completely on board he wouldn't have taken the trip no one can force him to go if his wrestlers didn't trust him they would have never went to Ohio State to wrestle for him in the first place
OK, great, but then why did Ryan say what he said about Martin wanting to wrestle and needing the family's support? At best it was a very clumsy thing to say publicly.

I guess the lesson is that I shouldn't couple Ryan's words with his actions.

OK, great, but then why did Ryan say what he said about Martin wanting to wrestle and needing the family's support? At best it was a very clumsy thing to say publicly.

I guess the lesson is that I shouldn't couple Ryan's words with his actions.

The nice thing to say is he has a different coaching philosophy

Honestly, from that statement, I can't understand what Ryan is or is not trying to get across. It's as clear as mud to me. I'd be cautious about drawing any definitive conclusions from that jumbled mess.

Honestly, from that statement, I can't understand what Ryan is or is not trying to get across. It's as clear as mud to me. I'd be cautious about drawing any definitive conclusions from that jumbled mess.

I think everybody is reading far too much into this message. From a recruiting perspective, Ryan would be crazy to say anything other than that the wrestler and his family have some say in such a decision. Doesn't mean he still wouldn't arm twist a kid a bit if it helps the team. Looks politically correct to me and is just answering the question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT