ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketology

KidNittany

Jun 26, 2012
Alright folks it's time for the chip. I like our chances as much as everyone but you still gotta go out an get it. Ya gotta want it! Here's how I think things shake out. (Fair warning it’s long)

125:

1. Nathan Tomasello, Ohio State
2. Nico Megaludis, Penn State
3. Joey Dance, Virginia Tech
4. Thomas Gilman, Iowa
5. Darian Cruz, Lehigh
6. Barlow McGhee, Missouri
7. David Terao, American
8. Dylan Peters, Northern Iowa
R12: Paul Petrov, Bucknell ; Sean Fausz, NC State ; Tim Lambert, Nebraska ; Ronnie Rios, Oregon State

So far from what I’ve seen Tomasello is my favorite. The work he put in the offseason has been good for him, he’s just an ox and has gotten the better of everyone. Nico I think beats Dance in the Semi’s. Nico I like a better head-to-head with Gilman in the finals but either is going to be tough. I like Cruz and McGhee this year. I have Rios vs Terao and Peters vs Rios in R12, so those match results could easily be reversed. Fausz is my dark horse. My upsets here are Fausz over Rodriguez and Youtsey over Klimara round 1. You’ll notice Klimara isn’t in my R12 – Way I have it Millhof drops down to meet him.

1. Nahshon Garrett, Cornell
2. Zane Richards, Illinois
3. Cody Brewer, Oklahoma
4. Cory Clark, Iowa
5. Jordan Conaway, Penn State
6. Ryan Taylor, Wisconsin
7. Earl Hall, Iowa State
8. Dom Forys, Pittsburgh
R12: Anthony Giraldo, Rutgers ; George DiCamillo, Virginia ; Eric Montoya, Nebraska ; Nathan Kraisser, Campbell

Garrett has been amazing this year. Don’t see anyone touching him. Richards reverses the B1G decision, and Brewer wins in WB vs. Clark for 3. That’s my top 4, some separation after that – Conaway I think puts it all out there. Yes I have him beating Taylor twice. Hall gets to the quarters. Forys is somewhat of a sleeper and I have him placing, have him beating DiCamillo in the topside. Lots of potential guys that could end up in that R12 range

1. Kevin Jack, NC State
2. Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers
3. Joey McKenna, Stanford
4. Dean Heil, Oklahoma State
5. Chris Mecate, Old Dominion
6. Joey Ward, North Carolina
7. Jimmy Gulibon, Penn State
8. Rick Durso, Franklin & Marshall
R12: Solomon Chishko, Virginia Tech ; Matt Manley, Missouri ; Todd Preston, Harvard ; Tommy Thorn, Minnesota

Jack is my guy for this wild weight class. Just a crazy year and this is up for grabs. Ashnault has been beasting, McKenna is great, Heil is great, all these guys are good what can you say. Think Mecate goes out with a solid performance to end the career. I’m a Ward fan also. Jimmy I think catches a bit of fire here. He has a really tough road but that’s Nationals. Yes I am calling the upset over Manley but I think Mecate gets him. From there he’s gotta beat Nickell, Sabatello and Preston to AA. I’m calling it, tough but I’m calling it. I have Thorn upsetting Micah up top and with how crazy the brackets are you get Manley and Micah in the R24. Jimmy’s draw is just super rough. If he loses early he could get Finesilver or Thorn early on in WB. Jordan is the one pick I don’t like, could easily see him going far. I feel like a dirty dirty homer putting Jimmy on the pedestal and not Micah. Heck the argument could be made for a bunch of dudes to get on but that speaks to the weight. I’m just rambling at this point. Go Jimmy!

1. Zain Retherford, Penn State
2. Lavion Mayes, Missouri
3. Brandon Sorenson, Iowa
4. Alec Pantaleo, Michigan
5. Evan Henderson, North Carolina
6. Jason Tsirtsis, Northwestern
7. BJ Clagon, Rider
8. Laike Gardner, Lehigh
R12: Matt Cimato, Drexel ; Mitch Finesilver, Duke ; Mike DePalma, Kent State ; Tyson Dippery, Rutgers

Think Zain will be tested, I have him running into Clagon (calling upsets over Henderson early and Oliver) in the quarters. I just think he’s a cut above. Mayes will be too weird for Sorenson and I think he gets him. Pantaleo has had a great year and I think he translates that to a top 4 finish. Tsirtsis has just had a rough year and the way he’s wrestling is how I see his result being. Henderson is a stud. Gardner is my surprise AA pick here, if he wins his first match he has a very navigable road. The other R12 are all good but could easily see others. Have DePalma upsetting Sueflohn in the topside.

1. Jason Nolf, Penn State
2. Nick Brascetta, Virginia Tech
3. Isaiah Martinez, Illinois
4. Brian Murphy, Michigan
5. Thomas Gantt, NC State
6. Dylan Palacio, Cornell
7. Ian Miller, Kent State
8. Joseph Smith, Oklahoma State
R12: Chad Walsh, Rider ; Aaron Walker, Citadel ; Cody Pack, SD State ; Richie Lewis, Rutgers

Not a typo – I’m calling a Brascetta upset. Something crazy always happens and this is my big one. Just got a feeling on this one. IMAR could very easily win that match and if he does I’m putting him in the finals. My 1 is Nolf and I feel good about that, and would still call if I-Mar gets back to the finals. Nolf-IMar 3 would be an awesome to see. I have Murphy upsetting Miller and Palacio in wrestlebacks for a solid 4th. Gantt has the extreme disfortune of getting Nolf and IMar back-to-back in this scenario and gets 5th. Miller finishes over the superfrosh JoJo. I really like those R12s, and my R16s even too. Another deep weight here. I have Cooper 0-2 here. Other than that and the aforementioned it’s pretty standard.

1. Alex Dieringer, Oklahoma State
2. Zeke Jordan, Wisconsin
3. Daniel Lewis, Missouri
4. Bo Jordan, Ohio State
5. Anthony Perrotti, Rutgers
6. Steven Rodrigues, Illinois
7. Max Rohskopf, NC State
8. John Michael Staudenmayer, North Carolina
R12: Ryan Priesch, Lehigh ; Tanner Weatherman, Iowa State ; Jim Wilson, Stanford ; Devon Gobbo, Harvard

I was really tempted to go with Zeke here. Really like the way he’s wrestling right now. But, I just can’t pick against Ringer. He’s such a beast, I’m expecting a good match. I really like Lewis too and think he gets one over BoJo who has had another great year but something has seemed off for some reason. Perrotti gets back up and Rodrigues completes a great storyline moving up 3 weights (FWIW I think this would also be good for the sport as it shows the extreme opposite of cutting could actually lead to success). Think Staudenmayer gets on the stand which has eluded him, Rohskopf gets another likely 1pt victory. Could see Wilson or Gobbo get on easily. Only upsets I have early are Priesch over Glass and Wightmann over McFadden. Morelli I have 0-2 to Staudenmayer and Pickett. Hope he proves me wrong.

1. Bo Nickal, Penn State
2. Brian Realbuto, Cornell
3. Ethan Ramos, North Carolina
4. Zach Epperly, Virginia Tech
5. Blaise Butler, Missouri
6. Bryce Hammond, Cal State - Bakersfield
7. Cody Walters, Ohio
8. Casey Kent, Penn
R12: Zach Brunson, Illinois ; Myles Martin, Ohio State ; Nathan Jackson, Indiana ; Lelund Weatherspoon, Iowa State

Nickal is my man and I think he takes it. He has controlled every match this year sans Jackson, and I think that match actually helps him here as he doesn’t make that mistake. Realbuto will be tough, but think we see a Scuffle Repeat. Ramos and Epperly are two others who I really like. Butler I’m putting on upset watch. Hammond I’m a fan, Walters is just tough, Kent I think puts on for the tournament and caps his awesome year. Myles or Brunson could easily see the stand. Gordon Wolf over Alex Meyer is my upset here. Also Kent beating Ottinger on the backside.

1. Gabe Dean, Cornell
2. Tim Dudley, Nebraska
3. Nate Brown, Lehigh
4. Pete Renda, NC State
5. Sammy Brooks, Iowa
6. Vic Avery, Edinboro
7. Matthew Miller, Navy
8. Nolan Boyd, OK State
R12: Hayden Zillmer, NC State ; Lorenzo Thomas, Penn ; Domenic Abounader, Michigan ; Blake Stauffer, Arizona State

Gabe Dean just turns on in the postseason. He has those funky losses but he just gets it done here. Boyd could see him if he beats Miller and that would be interesting. Here I have Miller going to quarters instead. Dudley I think gets on it, he has to get through Brown, Brooks and Avery and I think he does. Brown I think gets back up high and Renda is just wrestling well. Brooks, Avery, Miller, these guys are all proven and Boyd is putting on. The R12s are all good, this is just another deep weight. I have Zillmer upsetting Zavatsky and Renda upsetting Abounader (Renda is a semi-finalist here).

I really really really want to put McCutcheon on the stand but I’m just staring at this bracket and I can’t. I’m asking him to shut me up. Prove me wrong! Please! I think he’s got some serious potential but that knee, as much as I hate admitting it, seems to be an issue. They’ve played it well all year but I just don’t like that B1G result. He has Dean early, then drops and gets Gravina and then either Boyd or Miller. Here I have Boyd dropping and that’s where it ends at R16.

1. Morgan McIntosh, Penn State
2. Brett Pfarr, Minnesota
3. J’Den Cox, Missouri
4. Nathan Burak, Iowa
5. Conner Hartmann, Duke
6. Phil Wellington, Ohio
7. Jared Haught, Virginia Tech
8. Jake Smith, West Virginia
R12: Brett Harner, Princeton ; Reuben Franklin, Cal State – Bakersfield ; Max Huntley, Michigan ; Aaron Studebaker, Nebraska

This is like 57 where I think McIntosh wins it if he makes the finals. Cox obviously could win it too but I just like Mac right now. Think Pfarr gets an upset. He has surprised me, wrestled well all year. Cox drops and beats Burak who is just solid. Hartmann scares the heck out of me and I think will keep me really edgy if he gets to the Semi’s. That said I think Burak helps out and is a better matchup. Hartmann gets 5 over Wellington, who upsets Haught in topside. Haught drops to 7 and Smith gets on the stand. Liking those R12s. Only upset I have early is Abro over Nye.

HWT

1. Nick Gwiazdowski, NC State
2. Kyle Snyder, Ohio State
3. Ty Walz, Virginia Tech
4. Adam Coon, Michigan
5. Amarveer Dhesi, Oregon State
6. Austin Marsden, Oklahoma State
7. Michael Kroells, Minnesota
8. Nathan Butler, Stanford
R12: Joe Stolfi, Bucknell ; Sam Stoll, Iowa ; Billy Smith, Rutgers ; Denzel Dejournette, Appalachian State

I honestly don’t know here. Gwiz is awesome. Snyder is awesome. They’re both awesome. Snyder will have the tougher road. It’s a toss. I’m going with the Gwizzly Bear. Really deep weight and I love the way these guys are all wrestling. Walz has been great and gets 3rd here over Coon. Dhesi is awesome. Marsden and Kroells are just solid. I like Butler and think he has success this year. I like Stoll in the future. Could see him here or dropping early. Dejournette is just a manbeast. I have Butler beating him and Wessell in WB. No other big upsets.

So that’s it. Thanks for reading if you got this far. Huge shoutout to LutherAce over at HR, used his interactive bracket since the NCAA didn't want to help out as much. If anyone wants an explanation, wants to correct me, call me names such as dumb-dumb or stinky go at it. Very excited for the tournament. I’m grateful!

I would love for these results to happen. Super pumped for Thursday to get here already. If the good guys wrestle to their ability, there are absolutely zero worries.

It's gonna be quite a tourney!!!!

Nice work, but between iowa and OK St you have 3 matching their seed and everyone else coming up short. You have every PSU wrestler matching or exceeding seed. Obviously it will be bias towards your team, but it might be excessive.

1. Kevin Jack, NC State
2. Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers
3. Joey McKenna, Stanford
4. Dean Heil, Oklahoma State
5. Chris Mecate, Old Dominion
6. Joey Ward, North Carolina
7. Jimmy Gulibon, Penn State
8. Rick Durso, Franklin & Marshall
R12: Solomon Chishko, Virginia Tech ; Matt Manley, Missouri ; Todd Preston, Harvard ; Tommy Thorn, Minnesota

Jack is my guy for this wild weight class. Just a crazy year and this is up for grabs. Ashnault has been beasting, McKenna is great, Heil is great, all these guys are good what can you say. Think Mecate goes out with a solid performance to end the career. I’m a Ward fan also. Jimmy I think catches a bit of fire here. He has a really tough road but that’s Nationals. Yes I am calling the upset over Manley but I think Mecate gets him. From there he’s gotta beat Nickell, Sabatello and Preston to AA. I’m calling it, tough but I’m calling it. I have Thorn upsetting Micah up top and with how crazy the brackets are you get Manley and Micah in the R24. Jimmy’s draw is just super rough. If he loses early he could get Finesilver or Thorn early on in WB. Jordan is the one pick I don’t like, could easily see him going far. I feel like a dirty dirty homer putting Jimmy on the pedestal and not Micah. Heck the argument could be made for a bunch of dudes to get on but that speaks to the weight. I’m just rambling at this point. Go Jimmy!
Kid,
Look at 141 again. Jimmy beating Manley, then losing to Mecate gets him a likely match vs the Gil/Nickell winner, then probably #13 Bleise (NIU), followed by Chisko - VT (or maybe Preston - Harv) in the R12 to become AA. The next bout, to earn at least a 6th Place finish is a tough one (Jordan - tOSU, or Jack - NCState). All are winnable. Great work, I just happened to spend a lot of time looking at Jimmy's bracket...

I think Gilman finishes no worse than 3rd. If there is one guy who can beat NaTo it's Gilman out of the top four, which is a unique group. Gilman has had NaTo's number, Megaludis has had Gilman's number, and NaTo has had Megaludis' number. Then there is Dance.

Gilman is at least a top three guy, but could also just as easily win this weight. Also, Sorenson is a finalist. His ceiling is 2nd and he'll hit it. I believe Zain will widen the gap in the finals, though.

Corey Clark is at top three guy, too. I think it's 50/50 he beats Zane Richards, but I don't think anyone is beating Nashon this year. I think Clark beats Brewer if he loses to Richards.

I agree with Racer that you didn't give Iowa enough credit here.

Thanks for all comments thus far -

I try to be as non-biased as possible, and I'm a big fan of the matchups, but I'll admit seeing our guys in person probably skews my overall perception of things a little. They all just wrestle really solid. I'd like to think that the picks are all at least within the realm of possibility (hopefully better than that), albeit there are a lot of breaks going our way in this scenario.

So, I present my homerism rankings!
This is the order of most likely homerism going on, to least, in my own judgment of myself
1. Gulibon - he's a toss-up for this whole tournament and just going on my gut and how I know he can perform
2. Conaway - wrestling to seed will be tough. again, going off seeing his grit in person
3. Nickal - just a tough weight class
4. McIntosh - could easily seeing a guy pick him off in that top group
5. Nolf - has shown the stuff but will have Gantt and then potentially IMar
6. Nico - basically calling one upset of a guy he has beaten
7. Morelli
8. McCutcheon - went as objective as I could stomach. could even be an R24 if he loses to Gravina again
9. Retherford

That said I stand by my picks, and dare say even like them.

Iowa- recently has not done as well in the tournament and that could be factored in. I basically evaluate on the matchups, unfortunately the end result sometimes looks skewed. Lots of things could go either way, this year seems to be a lot of tight matchups. Can Brooks beat Dudley? Absolutely. Can Sorenson get to the finals? Totally. Just not what I'm calling right now.

Roar - that's how I have it. He drops to Mecate, then gets Nickell, Sabatello and Preston.

jrd23psu - the top four at 25 are definitely all legitimate contenders. Gilman is tough. On a given day I'd be comfortable saying any of them will win it. Sorenson again is just a matchup call. Love Clark, again just going with Brewer in that one.

Every PSU fan would love these predictions I'd think. Iowa with only 5 AA's and no finalists is unlikely. I'm curious what your final team scores were? LutherAce really did a great job with that spreadsheet.

Thanks Kid, I see where we are different...you have Sabatello winning against #13 seed Bleise, I have the seed winning. Also have Chisko winning against Preston...all's good, no one knows where the mass of upsets will come from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT