ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen King

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
3rd from the last pick in the draft. Should he have stayed another year? Seems like this happens to this program every year, somebody leaves too early?

Reactions: psu1969a
3rd from the last pick in the draft. Should he have stayed another year? Seems like this happens to this program every year, somebody leaves too early?
He flashed early in his career but never showed up in big games and got roasted against good players. And he was a penalty magnet.

Reactions: psu1969a and royboy
NFL Network guys also talked about how Harrison took his lunch money. If he could have held Harrison down even somewhat it would have helped him alot. Gotta show up when you get the chance to put something on film that will make you money.....
Harrison is an absolute beast. I said all year he was the best player in the NFL draft. He ate up King in the game and could do whatever he wanted.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Who did show up against Marvin Harrison Jr. ?
MHJr put up 185yds last year when porter was still here.

ND held him down last two years. O tds and not many yds. Rutgers held his yds down but he had 3 tds in two games.

He pretty much averaged a TD and 100yds a game vs everyone else.

MHJr put up 185yds last year when porter was still here.

ND held him down last two years. O tds and not many yds. Rutgers held his yds down but he had 3 tds in two games.

He pretty much averaged a TD and 100yds a game vs everyone else.
Comparing teams performance in containing M.H. Jr and that of an individual playing him man, for the most part, is different. I should have been more clear. I still think Kalen is mentally and physically suited more to playing safety than corner where he can time, control and deliver aggressive hits in space. He got called for over aggressively playing corner and drew flags at crucial times. I never understood the talk that he was a first rounder at corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
King's NFL future is yet to be determined but he may have made more money returning for NIL money and then taking his late round pick money and short stint in the NFL (if that is what it turns out to be).

At least he was drafted though. We had others leave early and go undrafted. Jacobs left as a JR. I know Dixon was a SR but I think he may have had a year of eligibility that he gave up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Early in his career he got burned vs Michigan on Alt's game winning long TD. I remember watching him on the sideline and after the game. I was hoping a moment like that forges steel for the future.

After getting humiliated by OSU and Harrison Jr in State College, he mouths off to the press that he "wants him." Well, he got him. I'm typically not one to worship in the rearview mirror, but Joe NEVER would have put up with that yapping- until possibly AFTER the game (like vs Miami in 87).

Maybe there was a reason UM and MSU didn't recruit them as hard as we did. In hindsight, as prior poster stated, Kalen could have gotten paid significant NIL, built some tape, shown leadership on and off the field, and had the chance to play with his brother one more season.

Wish him well. At least he was picked. Will root for him in NFL if he sticks.

I thought Dixon outplayed King and that Dixon would get drafted......did see that he may have an injury. Did Dixon get an invite to be a FA for an NFL Team? could not find it if he did.

Dixon was excellent at blitzing and although not the fastest guy, was very good at breaking up passes.

Reactions: 81b&w
King's NFL future is yet to be determined but he may have made more money returning for NIL money and then taking his late round pick money and short stint in the NFL (if that is what it turns out to be).

I hate to say it, but King seems to be a victim of hype. Returning is irrelevant. If he's good enough to stay in the league, he'll get to his 2nd contract sooner. Thousands return for an extra year. Less than 300 get drafted every year. Returning doesn't guarantee improved draft stock. It just means teams get an older player one year longer, which is fine for our cheering interest.

Other than divine intervention or losing a few pounds, are there training routines or specific exercises that can significantly improve the 40 time of an athlete? I know obviously a big guy can improve the 40 time by simply losing weight, but I would imagine that it would be very difficult for a player at the size of King. In today’s NFL this is a safety or linebacker 40 time from King.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
People said the same thing about Rasheed Walker going in the 7th and he's been fine. King returning wasn't going to fix his flaws. He has an opportunity to make a team and have a career. He didn't make a mistake.

I hate to say it, but King seems to be a victim of hype. Returning is irrelevant. If he's good enough to stay in the league, he'll get to his 2nd contract sooner. Thousands return for an extra year. Less than 300 get drafted every year. Returning doesn't guarantee improved draft stock. It just means teams get an older player one year longer, which is fine for our cheering interest.
My point wasn't that he'd improve his stock although one could argue that he was more likely to modestly improve than to lose ground.

My point was that by returning and getting his best NIL to date, he would get that plus his small stint in the NFL money. I don't see him likely to get a 2nd nfl contract. That is low probability. He maximizes his total earnings from football by putting his best NIL year on top of that 6th round money (or 5th or higher if he has modest improvement).

Last edited:
King returning wasn't going to fix his flaws

Not necessarily true by its lonesome, but he can fix his flaws on an NFL roster vs a college one. Perhaps the key points is his flaws, even if improved, won't likely result in getting drafted higher regardless.

Not necessarily true by its lonesome, but he can fix his flaws on an NFL roster vs a college one. Perhaps the key points is his flaws, even if improved, won't likely result in getting drafted higher regardless.
He wasn't going to get faster. His tape could have been better or worse but that wouldn't be significant. It's now about proving in camp that his limitations can be overcome. He made the right choice

Every NFL pick PSU CB lately is a penalty magnet. In the B1G, wonder why? You don't see Michigan and Ohio St CBs with this tag.

Because Porter and King both committed lots of DPI. Let's be objective here. They used their hands a LOT. Great corners, but most of the calls that I can remember were justified.

My point wasn't that he'd improve his stock although one could argue that he was more likely to modestly improve than to lose ground.

My point was that by returning and getting his best NIL to date, he would get that plus his small stint in the NFL money. I don't see him likely to get a 2nd nfl contract. That is low probability. He maximizes his total earnings from football by putting his best NIL year on top of that 6th round money (or 5th or higher if he has modest improvement).

He went from 1st rd hype to 7th rd pick between sophomore and junior year. Why would anyone argue that he was more likely to improve when he clearly just displayed that he wasn't up to the original thought hype?

If anything, he could have another bad year, not get drafted, not get signed at all, perhaps even get hurt.

If you don't foresee a 2nd nfl contract, that is you saying "he isn't good enough". Do you just wish he'd return to PSU in hopes we are better because of it? If so, perfectly fine, just disingenuous in your delivery.

Every NFL pick PSU CB lately is a penalty magnet. In the B1G, wonder why? You don't see Michigan and Ohio St CBs with this tag.

How many CBs did OSU have drafted the last two years? Over/under .5

Do you really know the Michigan and OSU cb penalty stats?

How many CBs did OSU have drafted the last two years? Over/under .5 Immaterial. No one brought up anything about this.

Do you really know the Michigan and OSU cb penalty stats? Name the Michigan and Ohio St CBs with the penalty magnet tag. Maybe I've missed them?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Harrison is an absolute beast. I said all year he was the best player in the NFL draft. He ate up King in the game and could do whatever he wanted.
Yep, it would have been better for King if he had faked an injury and sat out that game. Maybe worked on his 40 starts or something to help his draft stock... :oops:

Yep, great QB's make super bowl teams. But from an ROI perspective it will be out of ordinary if even 2 of the 3 QB's taken ahead of Harrison turn out to be great players. Whereas Harrison is about as much of a sure thing to have a big impact on the field as there is in the NFL draft. Drafting QB's is a roll of the dice. Drafting a talent like Harrison is what, a 95% success rate....?

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Early in his career he got burned vs Michigan on Alt's game winning long TD. I remember watching him on the sideline and after the game. I was hoping a moment like that forges steel for the future.

After getting humiliated by OSU and Harrison Jr in State College, he mouths off to the press that he "wants him." Well, he got him. I'm typically not one to worship in the rearview mirror, but Joe NEVER would have put up with that yapping- until possibly AFTER the game (like vs Miami in 87).

Maybe there was a reason UM and MSU didn't recruit them as hard as we did. In hindsight, as prior poster stated, Kalen could have gotten paid significant NIL, built some tape, shown leadership on and off the field, and had the chance to play with his brother one more season.

Wish him well. At least he was picked. Will root for him in NFL if he sticks.
He may have demanded too much NIL and Penn State said no so he went the draft route.

He may have demanded too much NIL and Penn State said no so he went the draft route.
When did he become them. Your post was wild unfounded speculation... Full of inaccuracies..and not worth the time I wasted reading it.

When did he become them. Your post was wild unfounded speculation... Full of inaccuracies..and not worth the time I wasted reading it.
Rip- the "he to them" was in my post referring to us recruiting him and his brother. During their recruitment it was reported that they wanted to go to college together. Most top schools only wanted Kalen.

Traditionally we haven't had much luck recruiting Detroit- but part of why it was theorized that we got the King brothers was that we were the only top tier BIG 10 program to agree to the package.

When Kalen became an immediate factor and his brother was buried on LB depth chart it still seemed like a good deal. In the end they both will be remembered as starters, but not stars, and neither got a W over the U of Michigan, which I'm sure they will hear about for the rest of their lives.

Rip- the "he to them" was in my post referring to us recruiting him and his brother. During their recruitment it was reported that they wanted to go to college together. Most top schools only wanted Kalen.

Traditionally we haven't had much luck recruiting Detroit- but part of why it was theorized that we got the King brothers was that we were the only top tier BIG 10 program to agree to the package.

When Kalen became an immediate factor and his brother was buried on LB depth chart it still seemed like a good deal. In the end they both will be remembered as starters, but not stars, and neither got a W over the U of Michigan, which I'm sure they will hear about for the rest of their lives.
Somewhat.... Kobe was injured the end of his junior year and into his senior year and many recruiting services ranked him significantly higher than Kalen before his injury. Programs backed off recruiting Kobe during that period. Additionally, their highschool coach has not welcomed UM and MSU on campus for a while (this is a mild representation of the relationship). Furthermore, Kobe has never had nor shown the attitude and lack of emotional control on field that Kalin has and Kobe remains with the team. So lumping them together as if they were/are one person does a disservice in many ways to Kobe in my opinion.

Somewhat.... Kobe was injured the end of his junior year and into his senior year and many recruiting services ranked him significantly higher than Kalen before his injury. Programs backed off recruiting Kobe during that period. Additionally, their highschool coach has not welcomed UM and MSU on campus for a while (this is a mild representation of the relationship). Furthermore, Kobe has never had nor shown the attitude and lack of emotional control on field that Kalin has and Kobe remains with the team. So lumping them together as if they were/are one person does a disservice in many ways to Kobe in my opinion.
General rule, always lump twins together as if they are one person. It is only courteous to treat twins this way and they seem to love it.

EdwardoCarrachio said:
How many CBs did OSU have drafted the last two years? Over/under .5 Immaterial. No one brought up anything about this.

Do you really know the Michigan and OSU cb penalty stats? Name the Michigan and Ohio St CBs with the penalty magnet tag. Maybe I've missed them?

Name the OSU CBs without penalties who were drafted. Maybe I missed them.

Tim Banks was the Michigan recruiting connection although I would say that agreeing to take both certainly helped as well.

EdwardoCarrachio said:

Name the OSU CBs without penalties who were drafted. Maybe I missed them.
I never stated that anything about Ohio St CBs that were drafted. That is something you have brought to this thread. I've never brought that up nor do I see why you care about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT