ADVERTISEMENT

Just looked at the

People get too caught up in record without breaking it down to determine the quality of wins. Not all wins are the same.

To an extent, sure. But you can't cherry pick these things either. Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Ole Miss, Miss St, they were all similar teams last year. But when the SEC teams got ranked, you cited them as good wins. You didn't break nothing down. Just the pollsters voted it, good enough for you.

But when it comes in handy, let's break it down to piss on something. And usually you build up non-PSU teams and piss on anything that could be construed as positive for PSU. That's not realistic; that's contrary.

Reactions: bono47
Pitt is 12-5 against interdivision teams since joining the ACC (15-8 counting the division-less 2020 Covid season), good enough for third best in the conference. We also have a 3-3 record against Clemson and FSU, the only two teams ahead of us during that timespan. I think we’ll be fine.
He stands corrected. The entire ACC minus Clemson is bad. It is the worst of the power five conferences. Sagarin had the AAC above the Coastal last season.

As I have said before, I love Pitt in ACC games. Have made good money betting with and against them the last 3 years. You will be fine against the bulk of the ACC. Haven’t looked at your schedule this year, but I think Miami and FSU are going to be better than normal ( that isn’t saying much though). Just a hunch.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He stands corrected. The entire ACC minus Clemson is bad. It is the worst of the power five conferences. Sagarin had the AAC above the Coastal last season.

As I have said before, I love Pitt in ACC games. Have made good money betting with and against them the last 3 years. You will be fine against the bulk of the ACC. Haven’t looked at your schedule this year, but I think Miami and FSU are going to be better than normal ( that isn’t saying much though). Just a hunch.
Getting rid of divisions might actually help us out; as you mentioned, it’s a weak conference in general but scrapping the Coastal could give us a slight boost in some of the ratings that people enjoy to use.

I’ll believe it when I see it when it comes to Miami, but I’m right there with you on Florida State. I like their QB and they were smart to be patient with Norvell, unlike Taggart.

On a side note: what’s sad about the ACC is that it should be right up there with the Big Ten and SEC. FSU was one of the best programs of the last 50 years, Miami and Virginia Tech were very strong when they joined the conference. Heck, Boston College was solid for a while. Most of the schools they’ve expanded to have been disappointments. We’re probably the second best post-FSU addition in terms of on-field results behind the Hokies, and we haven’t exactly set the world on fire.

Last edited:
So you view yourself as a messiah of sorts? Savings PSU fans and helping us come to grips with your version of reality. Now that is really comical.
No it’s not comical. But it is truly indicative of a megalomanic with delusions of grandeur. Okay throw in a messiah complex if you want. That only works through if he thinks truly suffering for the enlightenment of his readers is his mission in life. But it’s actually more clinically aligned with an individual with severe sexual inadequacies that “gets off” by endlessly arguing with anyone and everyone on anonymous message boards. Who knows maybe it’s everything and we’ve hit the jackpot!!!

Reactions: marshall23
Getting rid of divisions might actually help us out; as you mentioned, it’s a weak conference in general but scrapping the Coastal could give us a slight boost in some of the ratings that people enjoy to use.

I’ll believe it when I see it when it comes to Miami, but I’m right there with you on Florida State. I like their QB and they were smart to be patient with Norvell, unlike Taggart.

On a side note: what’s sad about the ACC is that it should be right up there with the Big Ten and SEC. FSU was one of the best programs of the last 50 years, Miami and Virginia Tech were very strong when they joined the conference. Heck, Boston College was solid for a while. Most of the schools they’ve expanded to have been disappointments. We’re probably the second best addition in terms of on-field results behind the Hokies, and that’s saying something because we haven’t exactly set the world on fire.
Holy jumping confluence of three rivers, are you still here? Shouldn’t you be out there in the rented stadium lining up paper cups for the free beverage give away for that brutal opening clash with the Woffard Terriers.😁
PS: I added the smiley face so that the board moron understands this is in jest.

Iowa OFFENSE. Under Brian in particular. Find me a comment that their defense or special teams are even less than average and I'll show you a fool.

The majority of the fan base that is over 30 years old are largely Paterno fans. I don't believe we have any posters under 30 here either, but I've not seen ages mentioned in awhile. Paterno and Penn State are near synonymous. The irony of it isn't lost on me. Heck, even the Iowa fan base doesn't want him. You pick strange hills to fight on. You can say it's because you are neutral, but you largely come off as arrogant, off-putting, and more like an ESPN talking head than a person who enjoys Penn State football.

Kind of how you talk about the schedule. If OSU and Michigan are the only good teams, we're doomed unless we go to a 16 team conference of just super power brands. USC, Oregon, Washington aren't going to be OSU and Michigan level all together. With the 6 of us in 1 conference, 2 are going to be 8-4 or worse almost every year. And that puts them on par with Iowa, who you say is not good.
If you think their offense is "the worst in sports" how are they beating a good team?

Right and we didn't want Jay.

They don't have to be Ohio State or Michigan--they better than the rest of the conference other than arguably us.
Iowa won't be winning 8 games as when they join.

To an extent, sure. But you can't cherry pick these things either. Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Ole Miss, Miss St, they were all similar teams last year. But when the SEC teams got ranked, you cited them as good wins. You didn't break nothing down. Just the pollsters voted it, good enough for you.

But when it comes in handy, let's break it down to piss on something. And usually you build up non-PSU teams and piss on anything that could be construed as positive for PSU. That's not realistic; that's contrary.
Ole Miss and Miss State were better than Purdue and Iowa for sure last year. I can listen to an argument for Illinois but we should beat all of those teams.

I'm confused as to where you see the lack of consistency. Michigan had 2 big wins last year, Ohio State has 1. It's not like i'm praising them for beating mediocre teams.

On a side note: what’s sad about the ACC is that it should be right up there with the Big Ten and SEC. FSU was one of the best programs of the last 50 years, Miami and Virginia Tech were very strong when they joined the conference. Heck, Boston College was solid for a while. Most of the schools they’ve expanded to have been disappointments. We’re probably the second best addition in terms of on-field results behind the Hokies, and that’s saying something because we haven’t exactly set the world on fire.
IMO you are the third best team in the ACC the last 5 years. Your coach blows too many winnable games, and those usually occur after a good win. The QB position has been Pitt’s problem for a lot of years. I think Pickett found the proverbial lightning in a bottle. Nothing against him but I don’t think he is going to succeed with the Steelers. Not rooting against him and don’t really care about the Steelers. Pitt has always lacked depth and quality at that position hence the heavy portal use. Until Pitt sures that up, you will mostly be a 4 loss team.

The Coastal was brutal for Pitt because it is viewed as awful by national media and rightly so. The Big west gets some of that treatment as well but no where near as bad as the Coastal. Can’t give you a tangible or coherent reason on why I think Miami will be trending up. As I said, just a hunch.

You're entitled to your opinion. The fact you think anything is "contrarian rhetoric" is comical. Not all Penn State fans want it to be 1986 still. Not all Penn State fans believe "success with honor" is relevant or was ever real. Many here are just mad about everything and hate change. When people stop crying over being in the Big Ten and expansion I'll be less argumentative.
There you go, inserting what you presume is my opinion and framing an argument that simply does not exist. I have literally no effing idea what you are talking about.

What I do know is that you make little sense and do a lot of double talk to hear yourself speak. For example, you talk about PSU's SOS as garbage, and argue PSU will be looked at differently than Mich and OSU. But then you state Mich SOS is garbage. So if Mich's schedule is garbage, why is PSU the odd man out and not Mich? My guess is, you cannot help but play contrarian on this board to argue with everyone with the hot take.

Same thing with your dumbass obsession over Auburn. Or frankly, every freaking response you have on here.

If you think their offense is "the worst in sports" how are they beating a good team?

Right and we didn't want Jay.

They don't have to be Ohio State or Michigan--they better than the rest of the conference other than arguably us.
Iowa won't be winning 8 games as when they join.

Where did I say worst in sports? I don't remember typing it, but quote it if I did. They were pretty weak last year, but even when they have talent they are old school, rock fight games. Who thought Iowa would be winning 8 games with Penn State and Nebraska in the conference?

Ole Miss and Miss State were better than Purdue and Iowa for sure last year. I can listen to an argument for Illinois but we should beat all of those teams.

I'm confused as to where you see the lack of consistency. Michigan had 2 big wins last year, Ohio State has 1. It's not like i'm praising them for beating mediocre teams.

Classic SEC overrating. Ole Miss got ranked for beating a mediocre Kentucky team that didn't live up to its projections. Miss State didn't beat anybody better than Iowa or Purdue that I remember. Splitting hairs at best.

If Ole Miss was a good win for Bama (an argument you made last year), then Iowa, Purdue, Illinois are good wins for Michigan. Crediting the SEC with 8 good win type teams and the Big 10 with only 3. That's the lack of consistency.

There you go, inserting what you presume is my opinion and framing an argument that simply does not exist. I have literally no effing idea what you are talking about.

What I do know is that you make little sense and do a lot of double talk to hear yourself speak. For example, you talk about PSU's SOS as garbage, and argue PSU will be looked at differently than Mich and OSU. But then you state Mich SOS is garbage. So if Mich's schedule is garbage, why is PSU the odd man out and not Mich? My guess is, you cannot help but play contrarian on this board to argue with everyone with the hot take.

Same thing with your dumbass obsession over Auburn. Or frankly, every freaking response you have on here.
Michigan has had more recent success...which shouldn't matter but if we're both 11-1 who do you think gets in given we also don't have a non-conference?

What obsession with Auburn? Someone else brought them up as an example of a game we'd miss out.

Where did I say worst in sports? I don't remember typing it, but quote it if I did. They were pretty weak last year, but even when they have talent they are old school, rock fight games. Who thought Iowa would be winning 8 games with Penn State and Nebraska in the conference?

Classic SEC overrating. Ole Miss got ranked for beating a mediocre Kentucky team that didn't live up to its projections. Miss State didn't beat anybody better than Iowa or Purdue that I remember. Splitting hairs at best.

If Ole Miss was a good win for Bama (an argument you made last year), then Iowa, Purdue, Illinois are good wins for Michigan. Crediting the SEC with 8 good win type teams and the Big 10 with only 3. That's the lack of consistency.
I have to find where I said that to answer it accurately but I don't believe that Purdue was even remotely close to the two SEC teams. Purdue lost to a horrible Syracuse team for starters.

IMO you are the third best team in the ACC the last 5 years. Your coach blows too many winnable games, and those usually occur after a good win. The QB position has been Pitt’s problem for a lot of years. I think Pickett found the proverbial lightning in a bottle. Nothing against him but I don’t think he is going to succeed with the Steelers. Not rooting against him and don’t really care about the Steelers. Pitt has always lacked depth and quality at that position hence the heavy portal use. Until Pitt sures that up, you will mostly be a 4 loss team.

The Coastal was brutal for Pitt because it is viewed as awful by national media and rightly so. The Big west gets some of that treatment as well but no where near as bad as the Coastal. Can’t give you a tangible or coherent reason on why I think Miami will be trending up. As I said, just a hunch.
I think Pickett’s success with the Steelers will be subjective. Personally, I don’t think he will ever be one of the top two or three QBs in the league. There’s some incredible talents in the AFC and I just don’t think he has the raw skills to match Mahomes, Herbert, etc. and that’s OK.

What he has going for him is that that Steelers are one of the best-run organizations in sports and excel at putting players in a position to succeed. In this way, I think he will be a great game manager who’s similar to Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. They won’t rely on him to win games, but also hope he doesn’t do anything to screw up what the defense and run games does for him. Can you win a Super Bowl that way in 2023? I honestly don’t know. We’ll see.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Michigan has had more recent success...which shouldn't matter but if we're both 11-1 who do you think gets in given we also don't have a non-conference?

What obsession with Auburn? Someone else brought them up as an example of a game we'd miss out.
What does Michigan's recent success have to do with a SOS? PSU at least has WVU in non conf compared to East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green.

You are full of shit dude.

Whoever wins the h2h would get in if both are 11-1. The non con slate would be irrelevant.

Whoever wins the h2h would get in if both are 11-1. The non con slate would be irrelevant.
He is just changing the argument to fit his agenda like he always does.

If he was the objective, analytical brain that, in his delusional mind, he believes he is, he would be shitting all over Michigan's SOS. Nope, now it is about recent success and how Michigan clearly is better than PSU, etc.

His act is so old and it is disruptive to the board.

How do I take the opposite view of things? Contrat to what you all want to believe I'm not in the minority on most of my opinions. Many here just don't want to see college football change from their glory days in the 70s and 80s. It has changed and will continue to and a lot of that is good but it's different and you all seem terrified of it.

Our schedule this year is garbage other than 2 games...we all know it but people feel like acknowledging that is hurting the team. Michigan is the exact same. 2 great games...the rest garbage.
Iowa is garbage? I guess that’s why they are ranked pre season.

Imagine playing heads or tails with him. Heads he wins, tails you lose!

Best 2 outta 3?! Lol

I think he's fun. He's all for "wholesale change."

I think Pickett’s success with the Steelers will be subjective. Personally, I don’t think he will ever be one of the top two or three QBs in the league. There’s some incredible talents in the AFC and I just don’t think he has the raw skills to match Mahomes, Herbert, etc. and that’s OK.

What he has going for him is that that Steelers are one of the best-run organizations in sports and excel at putting players in a position to succeed. In this way, I think he will be a great game manager who’s similar to Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. They won’t rely on him to win games, but also hope he doesn’t do anything to screw up what the defense and run games does for him. Can you win a Super Bowl that way in 2023? I honestly don’t know. We’ll see.
Hard to win with game managers today. His surrounding cast has to improve as well. Don’t know Pittsburgh well. Will they be patient because he played for Pitt? Or will they go after him if he is only a game manager. Meaning the fans.

Hard to win with game managers today. His surrounding cast has to improve as well. Don’t know Pittsburgh well. Will they be patient because he played for Pitt? Or will they go after him if he is only a game manager. Meaning the fans.
I don’t think where he played college at will impact anything, but they’ll definitely be patient with him because that’s who the Steelers are. Heck, they should’ve canned the play caller after last season but they place a high value on stability.

It’ll be interesting to follow the offense because there’s several players who could make a big leap. I predict they’ll thrive or die collectively as a group this season.

What does Michigan's recent success have to do with a SOS? PSU at least has WVU in non conf compared to East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green.

You are full of shit dude.
What are you talking about? Michigan was being discussed regarding getting into the playoff

If he was the objective, analytical brain that, in his delusional mind, he believes he is, he would be shitting all over Michigan's SOS. Nope, now it is about recent success and how Michigan clearly is better than PSU, etc.

His act is so old and it is disruptive to the board.
I've done nothing but bash Michigan's schedule. Follow the discussion

Pitt is 12-5 against interdivision teams since joining the ACC (15-8 counting the division-less 2020 Covid season), good enough for third best in the conference. We also have a 3-3 record against Clemson and FSU, the only two teams ahead of us during that timespan. I think we’ll be fine.
And a 51-6 loss to psu.

Not if Michigan beats Ohio State who wins the 3 way tie...at least IMO but I'd hope to be wrong. We already know H2H is everything.

So in your circumstance, we are saying:

OSU beats PSU
PSU beats Michigan
Michigan beats OSU

Then by way of tiebreaker, OSU wins the conference,

Then you see Michigan getting the nod over PSU, even though they lost the h2h? All because they were good in '21 and '22?

Or am I missing a detail (because I didn't see the OSU being 11-1 too anywhere)?

So in your circumstance, we are saying:

OSU beats PSU
PSU beats Michigan
Michigan beats OSU

Then by way of tiebreaker, OSU wins the conference,

Then you see Michigan getting the nod over PSU, even though they lost the h2h? All because they were good in '21 and '22?

Or am I missing a detail (because I didn't see the OSU being 11-1 too anywhere)?
And because they have a win over Ohio State. Ohio State in at 12-1. Michigan goes over us and people will be angry though it's obvious that they would.

And because they have a win over Ohio State. Ohio State in at 12-1. Michigan goes over us and people will be angry though it's obvious that they would.

Disagree. Same record, same conference, h2h will matter more.

But you do you there.

And a 51-6 loss to psu.
That’s the best you got? If you really wanted to stick a jab in, you should’ve gone with 45-44 Cincinnati or 78-76 Villanova. Hell, bring up Sid Bream. Now there’s a game I’m still not over.

Last edited:
schedule. It might be the easiest of any division one team in the land-should be ashamed
Not even close. How can we be playing two of the top 4 teams in the country and have the easiest schedule?

No excuse for Delaware. WVa is a decent game most years. The last 2 years we played Auburn.

Isn't Iowa bashed here constantly for their ineptness on offense? Isn't Ferentz constantly bashed as well? Now we think they're good? Iowa avoids Ohio State and Michigan so wouldn't it be a soft 10 wins if they pull it off?

What do you think the spread will be against Maryland?

Last year people were literally freaking out over close games and I said we'd be fine. If we take care of business against the other 10 I won't be critical. If we lose, that's unacceptable.

Just like if we lose to Michigan and Ohio State I won't be overly critical as that's expected. If we win I'll be giving a ton of credit to Franklin and his staff.

Iowa plays Joe Paterno football and it works for them -- they're physical, intimidating and play for field position and turnovers. I don't think anybody gets to disrespect a program that has beaten your team the last two games. And one of those games wasn't close.

PSU is a complete team this year with depth and (for a change) a solid OL. The game should play out more like the six games before 2020 when PSU usually had a little too much speed for Iowa. But if PSU gets behind or just makes enough little mistakes, missed blocks, dropped passes etc., then all of a sudden it's still tied late in the 3rd Q and it becomes a cage match and it's basically a coin flip who wins.

I'd like to think PSU has enough talent that the Iowas and Michigan States are not stressful games this year, but there's no way to know until you see what this year's team is made of.

I'd like to think PSU has enough talent that the Iowas and Michigan States are not stressful games this year, but there's no way to know until you see what this year's team is made of.
Fair enough--if those games are stressful I'm okay with that as long as they end in "W".

Reactions: AvgUser
It's not though--someone tried to use that as a reason we shouldn't go to 10 games. Auburn's not a reason. It's not even close to win. I've never once complained about scheduling Auburn but I'm not going to pretend they're better than adding another conference game especially with the expansion--that was the point trying to be made.
Auburn is one illustrative example. You know this and are being intentionally argumentative. You're like Collin Cowherd, just like picking fights for the sake of it and hoping it generates engagement.

Pick any non conference P5 (soon to be P4) school. We'll never play them again in the regular season if the conference goes to 10 conf games. ND, Bama, UGA, Texas, LSU, Florida, whoever. None of them would ever be a possibility.

Last edited:
Auburn is one illustrative example. Pick any non conference P5 school. We'll never play them again in the regular season if the conference goes to 10 conf games. ND, Bama, UGA, Texas, LSU, Florida, whatever. None of them would ever be a possibility.
Look at our future schedules...we weren't going to play teams like that anyway. Another conference game is far superior to WVU, Syracuse and Temple (yes sometimes Temple was going to be our big non-conference game) . Taking the control away from the athletic department is a win.

Look at our future schedules...we weren't going to play teams like that anyway. Another conference game is far superior to WVU, Syracuse and Temple (yes sometimes Temple was going to be our big non-conference game) . Taking the control away from the athletic department is a win.
Neither you nor I know what the future scheduling priorities are for Franklin and Kraft. Regardless, going to 10 games eliminates the option. No flexibility. That's bad.

Why do you think PSU would be open to playing more of the big, premier conference opponents if you also think they already don't want to do that with non-conf opponents?

The prelim 2024 schedule had each of the big 4 programs (PSU, OSU, UM, USC) playing only 2 of the possible 3 big opponents. That may have been by design, so they don't beat each other up too much and eliminate themselves from the playoffs. If that's true, they aren't going to suddenly replace the games against weaker opponents with the likes of Oregon and Washington, they are going to keep the schedule as light as the TV networks will allow. So the theory that 10 conf games will lead to better games could still be completely untrue.

Iowa plays Joe Paterno football and it works for them -- they're physical, intimidating and play for field position and turnovers. I don't think anybody gets to disrespect a program that has beaten your team the last two games. And one of those games wasn't close.

PSU is a complete team this year with depth and (for a change) a solid OL. The game should play out more like the six games before 2020 when PSU usually had a little too much speed for Iowa. But if PSU gets behind or just makes enough little mistakes, missed blocks, dropped passes etc., then all of a sudden it's still tied late in the 3rd Q and it becomes a cage match and it's basically a coin flip who wins.

Let's hope some of them aren't stressful. The ebb and flow of a season won't allow breathing easy in all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT