ADVERTISEMENT

Just looked at the

The demise of the Coastal will kill Pitt.
Pitt is 12-5 against interdivision teams since joining the ACC (15-8 counting the division-less 2020 Covid season), good enough for third best in the conference. We also have a 3-3 record against Clemson and FSU, the only two teams ahead of us during that timespan. I think we’ll be fine.

Again, the argument was a 10 game conference slate prevents us from playing Auburn. That's not a great argument. Or even a decent one.

My point in the discussion was that Auburn was a good opponent to put on there, particularly for the time frame. Pre-2018, Auburn was better than UGA. Auburn's descent is probably attributed to UGA winning over the recruits they both vie for.

In this instance, I say you follow the SEC. Stay at 9 games until the networks pay for 10.

If you go to 10, what do you propose OOC? $1m cupcakes (probably closer to $2m now) or home/home with SEC/ACC/Big 12?

Pitt is 12-5 against interdivision teams since joining the ACC (15-8 counting the division-less 2020 Covid season), good enough for third best in the conference. We also have a 3-3 record against Clemson and FSU, the only two teams ahead of us during that timespan. I think we’ll be fine.
Only time will tell.

My point in the discussion was that Auburn was a good opponent to put on there, particularly for the time frame. Pre-2018, Auburn was better than UGA. Auburn's descent is probably attributed to UGA winning over the recruits they both vie for.

In this instance, I say you follow the SEC. Stay at 9 games until the networks pay for 10.

If you go to 10, what do you propose OOC? $1m cupcakes (probably closer to $2m now) or home/home with SEC/ACC/Big 12?
Home/home with the other programs. The TV contract brings in more than enough money and why are fans paying to watch us beat up on Delaware?

As conferences get larger and larger (things aren't done yet) one could even argue that all games should be conference games

And the discussion wasn't Auburn was a good game but that by going to 10 conference games we wouldn't play them and that's a reason to stay at 9

If the ACC breaks up I’m sure you’ll be fine. PITT will have the talent to handle most of their new conference mates in either the Sunbelt or the MAC. Or if you manage to join the BIG12 travel scheduling should be simple on all those trips to Texas. One jet for the team and a smaller prop plane for the legion of traveling fans. Free beverages for anyone who gets to the airport on time.

If the ACC breaks up I’m sure you’ll be fine. PITT will have the talent to handle most of their new conference mates in either the Sunbelt or the MAC. Or if you manage to join the BIG12 travel scheduling should be simple on all those trips to Texas. One jet for the team and a smaller prop plane for the legion of traveling fans. Free beverages for anyone who gets to the airport on time.
This is the weirdest attack yet. Who cares about travel. See what Stanford's coach said. Pitt would be fine in the Big XII. They'd be a solid mid-level program in the second tier.

We’ll remain steady until we have to start playing the Pony Express. Their old money will take over what’s left of the ACC… :oops:
My skepticism is based on 35 years. Your optimism, largely on the last 2. That's why I said...time will tell.

My skepticism is based on 35 years. Your optimism, largely on the last 2. That's why I said...time will tell.
Last two? I provided you a record spanning our entire time in the ACC. Replace the Dukes with the Wake Forests, they’re all the same. I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree…

Last two? I provided you a record spanning our entire time in the ACC. Replace the Dukes with the Wake Forests, they’re all the same. I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree…
Looking at Pitt since I was born. 1950. 73 years ...what is their record?

Looking at Pitt since I was born. 1950. 73 years ...what is their record?
Well it probably stinks compared to Penn State’s, but now you’re moving the goalposts. Can I move them a bit further and bring up national championships? Those would be just as relevant for predicting our performance in a division-less ACC.

You said we’d be toast without the Coastal, I provided evidence suggesting otherwise. Like I said, we can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m content with our situation. We’re in the third best conference right now and we’ll end up in the third best when it’s all said and done.

Personally, I hope that’s the Big 12 because that’d give me a lot of easy road-trips and the best basketball tournament in the country would be a streetcar ride away… I’m sure the rest of the fanbase doesn’t feel the same way, though. :)

Reactions: Thomas1945
Why do you consider Oregon and Washington above Auburn? Nike money? Affinity for Puget Sound?

If Auburn came to the Big 10, they would suffer the same fate as well. USC likely will. They are just a touch more "premier" program than the others.

You made a comment before about Ole Miss being a better opponent than WVU, but what if they are 5-7? Are you gonna change your tune? Because you sure have put Auburn down.

At the end of the day, USC, Oregon, and or Washington are not going to be yearly 9-3 type teams playing a Big 10 schedule unless PSU and Michigan and OSU fall off hard. Look at Nebraska. Powerhouse for 25 years. 9 win team in the Big 12. 7 and less in the Big 10. With every coaching hire, it's "he'll bring em back!" And everyone has seemingly gotten worse.
You are kidding right? You don’t think USC and Oregon can handle a Big10 schedule - USC will be right there with UM and OSU. and hopefully PSU. Oregon right behind.

This is the weirdest attack yet. Who cares about travel. See what Stanford's coach said. Pitt would be fine in the Big XII. They'd be a solid mid-level program in the second tier.
Not only are you an argumentative dipshit, but you also lack a sense of humor. Perhaps I should have included a 😀🤣😆😂😊🤣😇😑😄😅😀😁😂😇🤣😁😆 or two. That might have lessened your righteousness indignation. HailtoPitt725 is a nice guy that is welcome here, subject to some ribbing of course.

But I imagine that nothing will change, and you’ll just keep picking fights with people whose posts you are unable to grasp.

Not only are you an argumentative dipshit, but you also lack a sense of humor. Perhaps I should have included a 😀🤣😆😂😊🤣😇😑😄😅😀😁😂😇🤣😁😆 or two. That might have lessened your righteousness indignation. HailtoPitt725 is a nice guy that is welcome here, subject to some ribbing of course.

But I imagine that nothing will change, and you’ll just keep picking fights with people whose posts you are unable to grasp.
Maybe you need to get a better sense of humor

I’m content with our situation. We’re in the third best conference right now and we’ll end up in the third best when it’s all said and done.

Personally, I hope that’s the Big 12 because that’d give me a lot of easy road-trips and the best basketball tournament in the country would be a streetcar ride away… I’m sure the rest of the fanbase doesn’t feel the same way, though. :)
Big 12 is likely more highly regarded than ACC. Also, it's reasonable to fear the loss of FSU and Clemson...possibly Miami.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Big 12 is likely more highly regarded than ACC. Also, it's reasonable to fear the loss of FSU and Clemson...possibly Miami.
Maybe I’m bias, but I think I’d give the nod to the ACC simply because of the brands you mentioned… for now. I think they’re gone well before 2036, and at that point the Big 12 is the clear third best conference. We also need to prepare for North Carolina leaving as well. I think they’ll draw interest from both the Big Ten and SEC.

Well it probably stinks compared to Penn State’s, but now you’re moving the goalposts. Can I move them a bit further and bring up national championships? Those would be just as relevant for predicting our performance in a division-less ACC.

You said we’d be toast without the Coastal, I provided evidence suggesting otherwise. Like I said, we can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.
I also said 35 years...so I tried to use my reference point...my lifetime. 35 years or 73 years, I'll admit I'm wrong if during either span Pitt has a better than .500 record. What is Pitt's future? Like it has been for my lifetime or more like it has been for the last 2 years. As for the Coastal, IMO it's the weakest division in P5 football. Sans that friendly slate each and every year, IMO, Pitt will have problems. I understand you don’t agree. I can respect that.

Maybe I’m bias, but I think I’d give the nod to the ACC simply because of the brands you mentioned… for now. I think they’re gone well before 2036, and at that point the Big 12 is the clear third best conference. We also need to prepare for North Carolina leaving as well. I think they’ll draw interest from both the Big Ten and SEC.
OK. So let me put it this way. The Big 12 took its big hit and regained its equilibrium. Pretty competitive top to bottom. The ACC appears to have an impending storm to weather.

I think he's a chatbot - not quite Google level... maybe Atari.

Reactions: Thomas1945
You are kidding right? You don’t think USC and Oregon can handle a Big10 schedule - USC will be right there with UM and OSU. and hopefully PSU. Oregon right behind.

I'm saying that all 5 of them are not likely to end the year 10-2 and better, year in, year out.

Unless scheduling quirks are installed that separate them intentionally.

All 5 ended the year ranked in the top 15. Do you think that will occur in '24 with all under the same banner? '25?

What were the predictions for Penn State in the Big 10? If you were told 4 conference titles in 30 years, what would you have said?

I also said 35 years...so I tried to use my reference point...my lifetime. 35 years or 73 years, I'll admit I'm wrong if during either span Pitt has a better than .500 record. What is Pitt's future? Like it has been for my lifetime or more like it has been for the last 2 years. As for the Coastal, IMO it's the weakest division in P5 football. Sans that friendly slate each and every year, IMO, Pitt will have problems. I understand you don’t agree. I can respect that.
If I had to guess, we’re likely just above .500 for either timespan. And that’s the frustrating thing about being a Pitt fan… I’d rather have a few more “bust” years if it came with some “boom” years as well… instead it’s just above average. I think the last time we really bottomed out was 98, but then you also only have one 11-win season in 40 years.

Maybe it’s why I’m a Pitt basketball fan before I’m a Pitt football fan. :oops:

Reactions: marshall23
OK. So let me put it this way. The Big 12 took its big hit and regained its equilibrium. Pretty competitive top to bottom. The ACC appears to have an impending storm to weather.
I like what they’re doing. Those schools don’t have the brand recognition that other conferences do for football, but they all invest a lot into them. I think BYU and UCF will be great additions long-term because one has a national following and the other has the largest enrollment in the country.

I think they could’ve gone without Cincinnati and Houston, but do they still land a new TV deal and eventually the four Pac-12 schools without them? I’m not sure. They’re settled in the central region and finished their western expansion… now they can wait on the ACC’s eventual demise to create a truly national conference. I don’t like it, but that’s the world we live in. Might as well be part of it.

Reactions: marshall23
ESPN has Penn State ranked 89th. We play two pre-season top four teams in tOSU and UM. Our SOS is harder than MD, Wisconsin, Miami, Nebraska, Iowa and Oregon.

Interestingly, tOSU is ranked #9. If you swap out ND for WVU (and, of course, they play us and we play them) they are basically the same.

This will turn out to be a stronger schedule than it looks right now. Iowa has potential, Ill is on the rise, MSU prob due for a bounce back year. Indiana, NW, MD all could potentially be trouble on a given day.

He’s just a dipsh&t who takes the opposite side of any discussion to be a PITA.
How do I take the opposite view of things? Contrat to what you all want to believe I'm not in the minority on most of my opinions. Many here just don't want to see college football change from their glory days in the 70s and 80s. It has changed and will continue to and a lot of that is good but it's different and you all seem terrified of it.

Our schedule this year is garbage other than 2 games...we all know it but people feel like acknowledging that is hurting the team. Michigan is the exact same. 2 great games...the rest garbage.

How do I take the opposite view of things? Contrat to what you all want to believe I'm not in the minority on most of my opinions. Many here just don't want to see college football change from their glory days in the 70s and 80s. It has changed and will continue to and a lot of that is good but it's different and you all seem terrified of it.

Our schedule this year is garbage other than 2 games...we all know it but people feel like acknowledging that is hurting the team. Michigan is the exact same. 2 great games...the rest garbage
Iowa is hardly garbage and likely will win the west and perhaps 10 games. I wouldn't classify Illinois or Maryland as garbage either. However, I encourage you to be a man of conviction, don't watch and don't comment on any contests other than OSU and UM and we will all be better for it. Limiting your time here is a win - win.

Iowa is hardly garbage and likely will win the west and perhaps 10 games. I wouldn't classify Illinois or Maryland as garbage either. However, I encourage you to be a man of conviction, don't watch and don't comment on any contests other than OSU and UM and we will all be better for it. Limiting your time here is a win - win.
Isn't Iowa bashed here constantly for their ineptness on offense? Isn't Ferentz constantly bashed as well? Now we think they're good? Iowa avoids Ohio State and Michigan so wouldn't it be a soft 10 wins if they pull it off?

What do you think the spread will be against Maryland?

Last year people were literally freaking out over close games and I said we'd be fine. If we take care of business against the other 10 I won't be critical. If we lose, that's unacceptable.

Just like if we lose to Michigan and Ohio State I won't be overly critical as that's expected. If we win I'll be giving a ton of credit to Franklin and his staff.

Isn't Iowa bashed here constantly for their ineptness on offense? Isn't Ferentz constantly bashed as well? Now we think they're good? Iowa avoids Ohio State and Michigan so wouldn't it be a soft 10 wins if they pull it off?

What do you think the spread will be against Maryland?

Last year people were literally freaking out over close games and I said we'd be fine. If we take care of business against the other 10 I won't be critical. If we lose, that's unacceptable.

Just like if we lose to Michigan and Ohio State I won't be overly critical as that's expected. If we win I'll be giving a ton of credit to Franklin and his staff.
Since when is "here" the litmus test of football achievement? Iowa is 43-18 over the past 5 years, and any real football coach would approach them with caution and respect. Last years offense was often the butt of jokes and they still managed to finish 8-5. They've shored up their offense in the portal and they always produce a very competitive defense.
I'd be wary of Michigan State as well.
I wonder if any coach prepares his team based on "the spread?" I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for you. It would be better if you kept your mouth shut and assumed a fool..........
Hey fellows....the spread is 17 no practice Monday. LOL

Is it bashing a team to point out their deficiencies?

I think it's a lot more realistic to say that Iowa's offense is generally weak than the usual non-Lion posters who trash the Buckeyes defense because they arent '21 UGA. Iowa had trouble scoring on everybody last year; OSU just had trouble stopping 2 teams.

Ferentz is disliked, most recently, because he accused players of faking injuries in our last game vs them. He's generally respected here, but does get ridiculed for hiring and promoting his inept son to OC and retaining him.

If they win 10 games, I'd be hard pressed to say they aren't good. Particularly when 8 win Ole Miss was declared a good win by you last year. Unless the only good teams are Michigan and OSU and if that's the case, it's just potato and potato.

Is it bashing a team to point out their deficiencies?

I think it's a lot more realistic to say that Iowa's offense is generally weak than the usual non-Lion posters who trash the Buckeyes defense because they arent '21 UGA. Iowa had trouble scoring on everybody last year; OSU just had trouble stopping 2 teams.

Ferentz is disliked, most recently, because he accused players of faking injuries in our last game vs them. He's generally respected here, but does get ridiculed for hiring and promoting his inept son to OC and retaining him.

If they win 10 games, I'd be hard pressed to say they aren't good. Particularly when 8 win Ole Miss was declared a good win by you last year. Unless the only good teams are Michigan and OSU and if that's the case, it's just potato and potato.
You don't believe people "bash" Iowa? I don't think Ferentz is "generally respected here" at all. Those criticizing him for promoting his own inept son also largely huge Paterno fans so....

Also, the criticism of Iowa is different than Ohio State. Without Ohio State it's like "little brother" being happy "big brother" dropped a level somewhere. People act like Iowa is garbage until we play them. Against our D, how many points do you think people expect Iowa to score?

We can compare both team's wins Ole Miss from 2022 and 2023 Iowa when the year is over.

Since when is "here" the litmus test of football achievement? Iowa is 43-18 over the past 5 years, and any real football coach would approach them with caution and respect. Last years offense was often the butt of jokes and they still managed to finish 8-5. They've shored up their offense in the portal and they always produce a very competitive defense.
I'd be wary of Michigan State as well.
I wonder if any coach prepares his team based on "the spread?" I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for you. It would be better if you kept your mouth shut and assumed a fool..........
Hey fellows....the spread is 17 no practice Monday. LOL
Coaches should be "wary" of everyone. Doesn't alter the expectation is to win easily.
I don't care about your opinion of me--which I'm sure you know.
Look at Iowa's wins over that time. Break it down. People get too caught up in record without breaking it down to determine the quality of wins. Not all wins are the same.

No he is right. Your act is beyond old. A pattern of argumentative, contrarian rhetoric has emerged. You have a bona-fide issue in my opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion. The fact you think anything is "contrarian rhetoric" is comical. Not all Penn State fans want it to be 1986 still. Not all Penn State fans believe "success with honor" is relevant or was ever real. Many here are just mad about everything and hate change. When people stop crying over being in the Big Ten and expansion I'll be less argumentative.

You're entitled to your opinion. The fact you think anything is "contrarian rhetoric" is comical. Not all Penn State fans want it to be 1986 still. Not all Penn State fans believe "success with honor" is relevant or was ever real. Many here are just mad about everything and hate change. When people stop crying over being in the Big Ten and expansion I'll be less argumentative.
So you view yourself as a messiah of sorts? Savings PSU fans and helping us come to grips with your version of reality. Now that is really comical.

People act like Iowa is garbage until we play them.

Iowa OFFENSE. Under Brian in particular. Find me a comment that their defense or special teams are even less than average and I'll show you a fool.

Those criticizing him for promoting his own inept son also largely huge Paterno fans so....

The majority of the fan base that is over 30 years old are largely Paterno fans. I don't believe we have any posters under 30 here either, but I've not seen ages mentioned in awhile. Paterno and Penn State are near synonymous. The irony of it isn't lost on me. Heck, even the Iowa fan base doesn't want him. You pick strange hills to fight on. You can say it's because you are neutral, but you largely come off as arrogant, off-putting, and more like an ESPN talking head than a person who enjoys Penn State football.

Kind of how you talk about the schedule. If OSU and Michigan are the only good teams, we're doomed unless we go to a 16 team conference of just super power brands. USC, Oregon, Washington aren't going to be OSU and Michigan level all together. With the 6 of us in 1 conference, 2 are going to be 8-4 or worse almost every year. And that puts them on par with Iowa, who you say is not good.

Coaches should be "wary" of everyone. Doesn't alter the expectation is to win easily.
I don't care about your opinion of me--which I'm sure you know.
Look at Iowa's wins over that time. Break it down. People get too caught up in record without breaking it down to determine the quality of wins. Not all wins are the same.
Here's a thought fanboy...you'll never be undefeated unless you win every game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT