ADVERTISEMENT

Just looked at the

schedule. It might be the easiest of any division one team in the land-should be ashamed

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: bdgan and bison13
schedule. It might be the easiest of any division one team in the land-should be ashamed
I see Alabama, Michigan, Florida on the ND future schedules, yet nobody wants to talk why PSU can't/won't schedule ND.

Why is that? Taboo topic?

Delaware/Nova is better for recruiting?

No sell outs/TV money?

Hilarious.

These guys that come over from the Liar have a way of getting me very angry. We can't all be Pitt Evenattheturn.

Reactions: bison13
That's a frequent theme; yet, somehow we will miraculously have a significantly higher SOS than them.

2022 SOS ranking

It's possible to play weaker teams OOC and at the "bottom" end of a schedule and still play a much harder SOS overall. Particularly if you're not playing in the ACC Coastal.

ESPN has Penn State ranked 89th. We play two pre-season top four teams in tOSU and UM. Our SOS is harder than MD, Wisconsin, Miami, Nebraska, Iowa and Oregon.

Interestingly, tOSU is ranked #9. If you swap out ND for WVU (and, of course, they play us and we play them) they are basically the same.

Reactions: tboyer
The reality is Ohio State and Michigan save our SOS. Best part of expansion so far is that Washington Oregon and USC are all better and more interesting matchups than anything we have now outside Michigan and Ohio State. I don't know why we're fighting so hard to defend this. We all know there should be 10 wins on this schedule. Doesn't mean upsets can't happen but it's very weak.

I see Alabama, Michigan, Florida on the ND future schedules, yet nobody wants to talk why PSU can't/won't schedule ND.

No sell outs/TV money?

Hilarious.
Penn State played 12 games against ND in the 80s and early 90s. Penn State won 8 of those games and wanted to extend the series. ND said no. Get your facts straight before you post nonsense. By the way, I see that Michigan has the easiest non-con schedule and Georgia the second easiest this year.

The reality is Ohio State and Michigan save our SOS. Best part of expansion so far is that Washington Oregon and USC are all better and more interesting matchups than anything we have now outside Michigan and Ohio State. I don't know why we're fighting so hard to defend this. We all know there should be 10 wins on this schedule. Doesn't mean upsets can't happen but it's very weak.
So, are you ashamed? The OP thinks you should be.

Here's the thing about SOS...JF is in it to win a championship. SOS doesn't matter if you play a BIG schedule and win. You will probably have to play a conferecence championship game; and, once you're in the final 4, you have to beat 2 of the top four to win anyway. If GA wins it all, nobody will care about their soft schedule in September.

ESPN has Penn State ranked 89th. We play two pre-season top four teams in tOSU and UM. Our SOS is harder than MD, Wisconsin, Miami, Nebraska, Iowa and Oregon.

Interestingly, tOSU is ranked #9. If you swap out ND for WVU (and, of course, they play us and we play them) they are basically the same.

They don’t have Northwestern in the cross division games. There’s a not insignificant chance Northwestern screws us in the tiebreakers at the end of the year.

No sell outs/TV money?

Hilarious.

If ND wants to come to Penn State and play a game without a return game the way Delaware and Nova does, sign them up.

So, are you ashamed? The OP thinks you should be.
I'm disappointed with it and certainly not "proud" of it. But it is what it is and if the playoff committee penalizes us for it in a 3 way tie with Michigan and Ohio State I'll understand. Though Michigan's schedule is also garbage.

Penn State played 12 games against ND in the 80s and early 90s. Penn State won 8 of those games and wanted to extend the series. ND said no. Get your facts straight before you post nonsense. By the way, I see that Michigan has the easiest non-con schedule and Georgia the second easiest this year.
You beat me to the ND answer. ND refused to reschedule PSU back then when PSU wanted to extend the series.

Georgia’s schedule this year is easy. I’ll be shocked if they aren’t undefeated again. Non con schedule is University of Tennessee- Martin, Ball State, UAB, and Georgia Tech.

Also, Big Ten supposedly will go to a 10 game conference schedule which is the best news ever if it happens.
If that happens we'll never play an interesting non conference opponent again. Those 2 games will always be against the crappy schools that will agree to a road game with no return trip by PSU in exchange for $1M. Pass.

If that happens we'll never play an interesting non conference opponent again. Those 2 games will always be against the crappy schools that will agree to a road game with no return trip by PSU in exchange for $1M. Pass.
Is that different than now? We always have 2 or 3 crappy schools

We often play one quality non conference opponent, see Auburn the last 2 years. That matchup never happens with a 10 game conference schedule.
Auburn was good those years? I'd gladly replace Auburn with Washington or Oregon
Look at our current future schedules--we need 10 conference games. Through 2028 we have nothing even decent.

This is exactly right. The revenue from the 7 home games is never going to be abandoned by any major school. Nine conference opponents right now anllows only 1 home-and-home like WVU or Auburn. Go to 10 and every school in BIG will just buy 2 home games.

You can prefer that or not, but it’s a fact.

Auburn was good those years? I'd gladly replace Auburn with Washington or Oregon
Look at our current future schedules--we need 10 conference games. Through 2028 we have nothing even decent.
The home game vs Auburn was awesome. Came down to last play.

The away game at Auburn was about as good an away game atmosphere as most of us who have been to dozens of away games have experienced.

Maybe, maybe, the first trip to Oregon would be as great. After that, no way it matches the fun of going to a big game (the Auburn game last year was talked up all week on ESPN and Sirius and whatever) at a new place or a place we haven’t been to for decades.

Eliminating that possibility would suck.

Reactions: psu00 and Sullivan
The home game vs Auburn was awesome. Came down to last play.

The away game at Auburn was about as good an away game atmosphere as most of us who have been to dozens of away games have experienced.

Maybe, maybe, the first trip to Oregon would be as great. After that, no way it matches the fun of going to a big game (the Auburn game last year was talked up all week on ESPN and Sirius and whatever) at a new place or a place we haven’t been to for decades.

Eliminating that possibility would suck.
Was Auburn good either of those years?

Irrelevant. The game was scheduled during a period they won a title and lost a title. Was we supposed to buy it out because they weren't UGA the year before?
I'm not mad about us scheduling them but let's not pretend they were good or use them to justify not wanting 10 conf games when we all know the non-conference schedule through 2028.

I'm not mad about us scheduling them but let's not pretend they were good or use them to justify not wanting 10 conf games when we all know the non-conference schedule through 2028.

Again, irrelevant. We scheduled them. We can't help how good or bad they were.

Future schedules are weak in name quality. Some previous ones as well. Whining about Auburn on the schedule is whining to whine.

Again, irrelevant. We scheduled them. We can't help how good or bad they were.

Future schedules are weak in name quality. Some previous ones as well. Whining about Auburn on the schedule is whining to whine.
It's not though--someone tried to use that as a reason we shouldn't go to 10 games. Auburn's not a reason. It's not even close to win. I've never once complained about scheduling Auburn but I'm not going to pretend they're better than adding another conference game especially with the expansion--that was the point trying to be made.

It's not though--someone tried to use that as a reason we shouldn't go to 10 games. Auburn's not a reason. It's not even close to win. I've never once complained about scheduling Auburn but I'm not going to pretend they're better than adding another conference game especially with the expansion--that was the point trying to be made.

Auburn is a better name than Oregon, Washington, and UCLA. They just weren't very good last year. The future west coast opponents will be fun, but after 10 years they will fall somewhere between Michigan and Northwestern as far as impact.

I'm all for good OOC games. I'm good for 10 conference games. But much like the TV deals and realignment, money drives the bus and we are along for the ride.

Auburn is a better name than Oregon, Washington, and UCLA. They just weren't very good last year. The future west coast opponents will be fun, but after 10 years they will fall somewhere between Michigan and Northwestern as far as impact.

I'm all for good OOC games. I'm good for 10 conference games. But much like the TV deals and realignment, money drives the bus and we are along for the ride.
We disagree on Auburn being a better name than Oregon and Washington.
Auburn falls between Michigan and Northwestern as far as impact, right? So, at worst, there's no difference.
Money does drive everything--unfortunately that also drives our weak non-conference schedule. 9 or 10 conference games results in 2 weak non-conference but at least 10 doesn't result in 3 weak non-conference games.

We disagree on Auburn being a better name than Oregon and Washington.
Auburn falls between Michigan and Northwestern as far as impact, right? So, at worst, there's no difference.
Money does drive everything--unfortunately that also drives our weak non-conference schedule. 9 or 10 conference games results in 2 weak non-conference but at least 10 doesn't result in 3 weak non-conference games.

Why do you consider Oregon and Washington above Auburn? Nike money? Affinity for Puget Sound?

If Auburn came to the Big 10, they would suffer the same fate as well. USC likely will. They are just a touch more "premier" program than the others.

You made a comment before about Ole Miss being a better opponent than WVU, but what if they are 5-7? Are you gonna change your tune? Because you sure have put Auburn down.

At the end of the day, USC, Oregon, and or Washington are not going to be yearly 9-3 type teams playing a Big 10 schedule unless PSU and Michigan and OSU fall off hard. Look at Nebraska. Powerhouse for 25 years. 9 win team in the Big 12. 7 and less in the Big 10. With every coaching hire, it's "he'll bring em back!" And everyone has seemingly gotten worse.

Why do you consider Oregon and Washington above Auburn? Nike money? Affinity for Puget Sound?

If Auburn came to the Big 10, they would suffer the same fate as well. USC likely will. They are just a touch more "premier" program than the others.

You made a comment before about Ole Miss being a better opponent than WVU, but what if they are 5-7? Are you gonna change your tune? Because you sure have put Auburn down.

At the end of the day, USC, Oregon, and or Washington are not going to be yearly 9-3 type teams playing a Big 10 schedule unless PSU and Michigan and OSU fall off hard. Look at Nebraska. Powerhouse for 25 years. 9 win team in the Big 12. 7 and less in the Big 10. With every coaching hire, it's "he'll bring em back!" And everyone has seemingly gotten worse.
Ole Miss is better than WVU not Auburn
Auburn has always been an inconsistent program. They haven't won 10 games since 2017 before that 2013. Even after 2010 they won 11 games the next 2 sessons. Oregon was dominant under Kelly then slipped under Helfrich and Taggart but have rebounded nicely. Way more consistent. Washington was garbage under Lake but seem to be to where Perersen had them.

Ole Miss is better than WVU not Auburn
Auburn has always been an inconsistent program. They haven't won 10 games since 2017 before that 2013. Even after 2010 they won 11 games the next 2 sessons. Oregon was dominant under Kelly then slipped under Helfrich and Taggart but have rebounded nicely. Way more consistent. Washington was garbage under Lake but seem to be to where Perersen had them.

I'm not comparing Ole Miss to WVU (although WVU is probably better all time, just not recent time).

I'm saying had we scheduled OM, then they stunk, you are still going to harp on the OOC.

Auburn has a national title, and 2 title game appearances in the past 13 years. They also play in the SEC. They also have had Saban in their way every year. Their inconsistencies are because the SEC is tougher than the PAC 12.

USC has been down since Pete skipped town and neither of their brethren have won a title in their stead. In the weakest power 5, neither dominated. Oregon overall far above Washington though.

I'm not comparing Ole Miss to WVU (although WVU is probably better all time, just not recent time).

I'm saying had we scheduled OM, then they stunk, you are still going to harp on the OOC.

Auburn has a national title, and 2 title game appearances in the past 13 years. They also play in the SEC. They also have had Saban in their way every year. Their inconsistencies are because the SEC is tougher than the PAC 12.

USC has been down since Pete skipped town and neither of their brethren have won a title in their stead. In the weakest power 5, neither dominated. Oregon overall far above Washington though.
Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not mad that we scheduled Auburn but playing a team like Auburn isn't a reason to keep 3 non-conference games over 10 conference games.

We disagree on why Auburn had down years. Yes the SEC is more difficult but that doesn't justify how inconsistent they are.

Does it matter if WVU was good when Major Harris was there? We aren't scheduling them then...we're making a schedule for now. Scheduling WVU and Syracuse were huge mistakes.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not mad that we scheduled Auburn but playing a team like Auburn isn't a reason to keep 3 non-conference games over 10 conference games.

We disagree on why Auburn had down years. Yes the SEC is more difficult but that doesn't justify how inconsistent they are.

Does it matter if WVU was good when Major Harris was there? We aren't scheduling them then...we're making a schedule for now. Scheduling WVU and Syracuse were huge mistakes.
Everyone knows a weak OOC schedule has killed Michigan 😕

Reactions: doctornick
Everyone knows a weak OOC schedule has killed Michigan 😕
Yet another great reason to go to 10 conference games. They're schedule is a joke too.

Again, the argument was a 10 game conference slate prevents us from playing Auburn. That's not a great argument. Or even a decent one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT