ADVERTISEMENT

Football High School / College Games Thread (8/27)

Nebraska still with major problems. NW just ran it right down throats and take lead. They looked like did not want to tackle. Frost may not last this season.

Whipple's offense has sputtered since they scored b2b early in the 3rd.

I didn't like the PA Reverse on that last first down. He's went to #3 on the 1st down of every drive opening play. Maybe fake a tunnel, go for the weak side TE to play upon this.

Roberson career as UConn QB is underway, vs Utah St. It is on Fox Sports 1. Huskies up 7-0 on run game. Aggies are a good team. Won 10 last year.

Nebraska is pathetic. Have no idea how to win. That is coaching. Frost will be gone after this season and sooner if it turns into a total dumpster fire.

Roberson career as UConn QB is underway, vs Utah St. It is on Fox Sports 1. Huskies up 7-0 on run game. Aggies are a good team. Won 10 last year.
Might be over before it began. Taquon out with leg injury on run.

Nice win by Northwestern. Smart team vs not so smart team.

On side kick was pretty stupid. Hope Franklin was watching and that he actually learned something from watching.

NW Oline played very well in stretches. I just don't believe they will hold up against our DT's and DE's, but our LB's better know their coverage assignments........

Frost gets some momentum (and luck) with two TDs to take 28-17 lead in 3rd. He decides to get cute with on-sides and gives NW great field position. They scored and now 28-24 with Cats driving with strong running game. Sorry, but this is CJF's problem as well. Talent aside, these are usually best coached teams in Big Ten - OSU, IA, NW. You beat them physically and athletically, not being cute.
Maybe IA and NW but OSU wins only because of talent and then falls short on the national stage. They have more 5 stars than the rest of the conference combined and only Alabama and Georgia are in their league talent-wise. Of course Alabama and Georgia win natties with it.

Nice win by Northwestern. Smart team vs not so smart team.

On side kick was pretty stupid. Hope Franklin was watching and that he actually learned something from watching.

NW Oline played very well in stretches. I just don't believe they will hold up against our DT's and DE's, but our LB's better know their coverage assignments........

Watching NW is an example of why I don't understand all the highly rated kids going to 15 schools.

One play comes to mind directly. Hull/Hall, NW RB, broke free on a gaping hole and a cutback. Saquon, to the house. Miles, see ya. Journey, buh-bye! Singleton, would have outrun everybody.

Tough kid. Believe they said he squats 515x5. Nebraska got tired of tackling him by games end.

Reactions: royboy
Maybe IA and NW but OSU wins only because of talent and then falls short on the national stage. They have more 5 stars than the rest of the conference combined and only Alabama and Georgia are in their league talent-wise. Of course Alabama and Georgia win natties with it.
O$U has good coaching and better than PSU. Not just talent.

Watching NW is an example of why I don't understand all the highly rated kids going to 15 schools.

One play comes to mind directly. Hull/Hall, NW RB, broke free on a gaping hole and a cutback. Saquon, to the house. Miles, see ya. Journey, buh-bye! Singleton, would have outrun everybody.

Tough kid. Believe they said he squats 515x5. Nebraska got tired of tackling him by games end.
I'd take that Hull kid in a second

Reactions: lazydave841
Central Martinsburg and Bishop Guilfoyle are on our local CW station now. End of 1st Q, no score.

2 high ranked PA teams. Central lost in AAA semis last year and BG won A title.

I believe BG coach Wheeler played LB at PSU.

O$U has good coaching and better than PSU. Not just talent.
No they don't. They have overwhelming talent. There is not a team in the Big 10 that should be within 2 TDs of them going by talent. Yet, quite frequently they lose in conference and sometimes get blown out like against Purdue a couple of years ago.

Then when they do get matched up in post season against the big boys, they almost always embarrass the conference. You know why the SEC is seen as the best conference? Because whichever team makes it out, Alabama, Georgia, Lsu, all take care of business more often then not. Ohio St has as much talent as those teams but always falls short.

Even PSU almost always plays Ohio St tight and way better than our talent should allow. But I suppose PSU winning a few and mostly losing close ones to Ohio St means their coaches are better? Never mind that they have more 5 stars on the bench than PSU has in the last 10 years. I guarantee if you switch rosters that Franklin is making Day look like a HS coach.

No they don't. They have overwhelming talent. There is not a team in the Big 10 that should be within 2 TDs of them going by talent. Yet, quite frequently they lose in conference and sometimes get blown out like against Purdue a couple of years ago.

Then when they do get matched up in post season against the big boys, they almost always embarrass the conference. You know why the SEC is seen as the best conference? Because whichever team makes it out, Alabama, Georgia, Lsu, all take care of business more often then not. Ohio St has as much talent as those teams but always falls short.

Even PSU almost always plays Ohio St tight and way better than our talent should allow. But I suppose PSU winning a few and mostly losing close ones to Ohio St means their coaches are better? Never mind that they have more 5 stars on the bench than PSU has in the last 10 years. I guarantee if you switch rosters that Franklin is making Day look like a HS coach.
Ohio State has better coaching

Ohio State has better coaching
They've had a huge talent advantage that makes coaches look better but have clearly lost a number of games to lesser teams. Some of those teams have maybe a handful at best of players that Ohio St would even have taken in recruiting.

They haven't matched up once in recent years to any team of the same or better talent. That's poor coaching.

Reactions: IndyLion1
OSU has as many titles as UGA in the CFP era and is 1-1 vs. Bama in the CFP.

They beat a loaded Clemson team by 21 in the CFP like 2 years ago.

Ryan Day has 4 losses in 3+ seasons. Three to CFP teams and 1 to Oregon with a very young roster.

Unlike Big Game James, he trounces the weak Illinois-type teams and has several top -10 wins. Far more than James.

In head to head games, he’s 3-0 vs. Franklin with all 3 wins coming by multiple scores.

If having talent was all that mattered, then James should be losing no more than 1-2 games per year. He out talents every opponent minus OSU (and occasionally Michigan), but routinely loses to lesser teams.

CFB history is full of coaches who had loaded rosters but sucked. Coaching matters. The things you're saying about Ryan Day you'd probably say about Kirby Smart before last season. Fact is, while Smart didn't win a title until last year, he had his teams in the hunt. Just as Day does. And if you're not in the hunt, you can forget about ever getting a title. So what if their rosters are loaded? Recruiting is part of their job.

Does James have us in the hunt? LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryoder1 and fkkkjm
Ryan Day has 4 losses in 3+ seasons. Three to CFP teams and 1 to Oregon with a very young roster.

Unlike Big Game James, he trounces the weak Illinois-type teams and has several top -10 wins. Far more than James.

In head to head games, he’s 3-0 vs. Franklin with all 3 wins coming by multiple scores.

If having talent was all that mattered, then James should be losing no more than 1-2 games per year. He out talents every opponent minus OSU (and occasionally Michigan), but routinely loses to lesser teams.

LOL.
Ohio St team talent composition has been ranked anywhere from #1 to #3 in the last several years and the jump to #4 Clemson is much further. It's basically Alabama, Ohio St, and Georgia in a 3 way tie for talent the last several years. Only Ohio St has failed to win a title with that talent.

Last year Ohio St lost to Oregon but also was physically dominated by a much less talented Michigan. The year before in a shortened season Alabama dominated them 52-24 with the same talent level. The year before that Clemson toyed with them despite having a significantly lower talent composite. The year before that a Purdue team with likely not one player that Ohio St would have recruited out of HS dominated you 49-20.

There is no excuse for those types of losses to teams with much lesser talent. Ohio St seems to do that most years though and if they get matched with similar talent, it's an almost certain loss like Alabama's drubbing. Plus, your win against Alabama is almost 10 years ago. Not sure how that relates to Day. Heck, you guys almost lost a 3rd game last year to Utah who is #32 in team talent composite. That's not good coaching.

Ohio St team talent composition has been ranked anywhere from #1 to #3 in the last several years and the jump to #4 Clemson is much further. It's basically Alabama, Ohio St, and Georgia in a 3 way tie for talent the last several years. Only Ohio St has failed to win a title with that talent.

Last year Ohio St lost to Oregon but also was physically dominated by a much less talented Michigan. The year before in a shortened season Alabama dominated them 52-24 with the same talent level. The year before that Clemson toyed with them despite having a significantly lower talent composite. The year before that a Purdue team with likely not one player that Ohio St would have recruited out of HS dominated you 49-20.

There is no excuse for those types of losses to teams with much lesser talent. Ohio St seems to do that most years though and if they get matched with similar talent, it's an almost certain loss like Alabama's drubbing. Plus, your win against Alabama is almost 10 years ago. Not sure how that relates to Day. Heck, you guys almost lost a 3rd game last year to Utah who is #32 in team talent composite. That's not good coaching.

Who is "you guys"? This may come as a surprise, but being objective about Ryan Day vs. James Franklin hardly makes me a Buckeye.

Kirby Smart lost to South Carolina and Auburn in recent years. Not to mention the bowl loss to 4-loss Texas.

Dabo lost to Pitt the year Clemson won their natty. Saban has lost plenty of games to far less talented teams. Ole Miss and Texas A&M teams come to mind.

The greatest of all time have dropped games to lesser talent. It's true that OSU hasn't performed at Bama's level. Not even close. 6 titles in the Saban era vs. 1 for Ohio State in that same era speaks for itself. But nobody is on Saban's level. In the history of college football.

You're honestly suggesting James Franklin is better than Ryan Day because of the "OSU hasn't won as many natties as they should" argument. You're basically ripping OSU for not being on Saban's level. And yet James Franklin can't beat Kentucky or Arkansas.

"Almost lost to Utah"? They had 3 All-Americans opting out on offense alone. And still beat a team in the AP top 10.

You know, something Franklin hasn't done since 2016.

Reactions: KCLion
Who is "you guys"? This may come as a surprise, but being objective about Ryan Day vs. James Franklin hardly makes me a Buckeye.

Kirby Smart lost to South Carolina and Auburn in recent years. Not to mention the bowl loss to 4-loss Texas.

Dabo lost to Pitt the year Clemson won their natty. Saban has lost plenty of games to far less talented teams. Ole Miss and Texas A&M teams come to mind.

The greatest of all time have dropped games to lesser talent. It's true that OSU hasn't performed at Bama's level. Not even close. 6 titles in the Saban era vs. 1 for Ohio State in that same era speaks for itself. But nobody is on Saban's level. In the history of college football.

You're honestly suggesting James Franklin is better than Ryan Day because of the "OSU hasn't won as many natties as they should" argument. You're basically ripping OSU for not being on Saban's level. And yet James Franklin can't beat Kentucky or Arkansas.

"Almost lost to Utah"? They had 3 All-Americans opting out on offense alone. And still beat a team in the AP top 10.

You know, something Franklin hasn't done since 2016.
I've only seen you post as if you have a huge buckeye hard on and attacking PSU. So whether you are a buckeye fan or not, you basically are anyway. And you conveniently spend all of your time trying to make excuses for Ohio St always falling short with top 3 talent when the other 2 are winning national titles and not getting run over by teams with lesser talent. That happened to Ohio St twice last year. Michigan basically made them want to stop tackling.

And no Clemson was not at the same team composite talent as the Buckeyes, Bama, and Georgia but they got it done anyway.

Sorry, I did not make the initial claim about Ohio St coaching. You did and you were wrong. Then when shown why you were wrong, you lashed out at PSU. But you're not a buckeye fan so that's probably a normal reaction right?

And I'm being objective. I'm not making a claim that PSU has a better team. Look at the top 100 players in college football list that was just posted. PSU has 1 guy at #75. Ohio St has 3 of the top 7 players in all of college football. And the best they could do was 2 losses including one demasculating bludgeoning by their rival? Sorry man, good coaching takes that superior talent edge and wins natties.

Last edited:
I've only seen you post as if you have a huge buckeye hard on and attacking PSU. So whether you are a buckeye fan or not, you basically are anyway. And you conveniently spend all of your time trying to make excuses for Ohio St always falling short with top 3 talent when the other 2 are winning national titles and not getting run over by teams with lesser talent. That happened to Ohio St twice last year. Michigan basically made them want to stop tackling.

And no Clemson was not at the same team composite talent as the Buckeyes, Bama, and Georgia but they got it done anyway.

Sorry, I did not make the initial claim about Ohio St coaching. You did and you were wrong. Then when shown why you were wrong, you lashed out at PSU. But you're not a buckeye fan so that's probably a normal reaction right?

And I'm being objective. I'm not making a claim that PSU has a better team. Look at the top 100 players in college football list that was just posted. PSU has 1 guy at #75. Ohio St has 3 of the top 7 players in all of college football. And the best they could do was 2 losses including one demasculating bludgeoning by their rival? Sorry man, good coaching takes that superior talent edge and wins natties.

You need to read closer, then. I've taken plenty of shots at Ohio State. But I also take shots at really bad homer takes like yours.

You said that with OSU talent, James Franklin would make Ryan Day look like a HS coach. Your quote, not mine.

That's the epitome of the epically dumb homer take that I'll eviscerate with pleasure. Ryan Day is 34-4. In his last 38 games, James Franklin is 24-14. Day has enjoyed a talent edge, but not an edge THAT extreme.

James Franklin has had far more talent than Michigan State in 2018, Kentucky in 2018, Minnesota in 2019, Indiana in 2020, Nebraska in 2020, Maryland in 2020, Iowa in 2020, Iowa in 2021, Illinois in 2021, and Arkansas in 2021. Probably comparable talent to Michigan in 2018 and Michigan in 2021. How'd that work out?

If your claim is that Ryan Day isn't deserving to be crowned among the elite yet, that's a reasonable take. If your claim is that he's a poor coach -- you yourself said OSU was "poorly coached" -- or that Franklin is a far better coach, that's the kind of mind-numbing nonsense that you'd expect from James Franklin himself late in a game with the game on the line.

I'd trade Franklin for Day without hesitation. If some disagree so be it--it's all opinion.
I'd also take Patty Fitz in a heartbeat over Franklin...

You need to read closer, then. I've taken plenty of shots at Ohio State. But I also take shots at really bad homer takes like yours.

You said that with OSU talent, James Franklin would make Ryan Day look like a HS coach. Your quote, not mine.

That's the epitome of the epically dumb homer take that I'll eviscerate with pleasure. Ryan Day is 34-4. In his last 38 games, James Franklin is 24-14. Day has enjoyed a talent edge, but not an edge THAT extreme.

James Franklin has had far more talent than Michigan State in 2018, Kentucky in 2018, Minnesota in 2019, Indiana in 2020, Nebraska in 2020, Maryland in 2020, Iowa in 2020, Iowa in 2021, Illinois in 2021, and Arkansas in 2021. Probably comparable talent to Michigan in 2018 and Michigan in 2021. How'd that work out?

If your claim is that Ryan Day isn't deserving to be crowned among the elite yet, that's a reasonable take. If your claim is that he's a poor coach -- you yourself said OSU was "poorly coached" -- or that Franklin is a far better coach, that's the kind of mind-numbing nonsense that you'd expect from James Franklin himself late in a game with the game on the line.
You incorrectly quoted me twice in one post. And yes, Day has had that much of a talent edge. He has not coached even 1 game without more 5 stars on his bench than the rest of the big 10 has on the field combined. Nearly half of their current roster were top 100 overall players. PSU usually lands a couple of those but not half the class. The talent differential is ridiculous yet Day and the Buckeyes just can't seem to do even what they are supposed to with it.

And you better stop worrying about PSU and start paying attention to the Irish or you'll have another embarrassing loss out of conference to a team with much less talent to open just like last year.

Last edited:
You incorrectly quoted me twice in one post. And yes, Day has had that much of a talent edge. He has not coached even 1 game without more 5 stars on his bench than the rest of the big 10 has on the field combined. Nearly half of their current roster were top 100 overall players. PSU usually lands a couple of those but not half the class. The talent differential is ridiculous yet Day and the Buckeyes just can't seem to do even what they are supposed to with it.

And you better stop worrying about PSU and start paying attention to the Irish or you'll have another embarrassing loss out of conference to a team with much less talent to open just like last year.
Maybe Franklin should go out and get more 5 star players?

We're not underperforming?
Day > Franklin
We underperformed the last 2 seasons. We overperformed before that. I can see chalking the covid season up to irregularity but last year was a culmination of injuries at key spots where we lacked prepared depth and the team not shaking it off after high hopes. I think we bounce back this year.

We are not underperforming every season like Ohio St does with their talent for almost a decade now. They should be on par with Bama and Georgia but they clearly can't get it done.

We underperformed the last 2 seasons. We overperformed before that. I can see chalking the covid season up to irregularity but last year was a culmination of injuries at key spots where we lacked prepared depth and the team not shaking it off after high hopes. I think we bounce back this year.

We are not underperforming every season like Ohio St does with their talent for almost a decade now. They should be on par with Bama and Georgia but they clearly can't get it done.
Have we made a playoff? Then we haven't performed.
Stop making excuses. You hope we bounce back this year
Ohio State is not underperforming. They're consistently in the top 5 which is exactly where they should be.

Honestly, Penn State wins that are assuming this year will be different aren't any different than Nebraska fans that thought they'd beat Northwestern yesterday. Purdue could easily beat us. So could Auburn. Anything less than 10 wins this year is completely unacceptable and, truthfully, we shouldn't be accepting less than a conference title. The watered down expectations have carried over from the Paterno regime.

Have we made a playoff? Then we haven't performed.
Stop making excuses. You hope we bounce back this year
Ohio State is not underperforming. They're consistently in the top 5 which is exactly where they should be.
We have not had playoff talent, not even in 2016 when we should have been in the playoffs. The best talent composite we have had is mid-teens nationally. And again, we overperformed for a few years and underperformed the last 2. Those are the numbers, not your arbitrary we should be in the playoffs despite not having playoff team talent composite.

And yes, Ohio St has 100%, absolutely underperformed their team talent composite. They have been in a 3 way tie with Bama and Georgia for about a decade for most talent. Not even Clemson was close to their talent composite. One of those 3 teams with the top talent composite hasn't sniffed a natty and has always ended their season with an embarrassing loss if given a playoff spot. Can you guess which one? That is consistently underperforming year after year after year. Not by a ton, they are consistently top 10 with the absolute best talent in the nation. But it's still underperforming.

Honestly, Penn State wins that are assuming this year will be different aren't any different than Nebraska fans that thought they'd beat Northwestern yesterday. Purdue could easily beat us. So could Auburn. Anything less than 10 wins this year is completely unacceptable and, truthfully, we shouldn't be accepting less than a conference title. The watered down expectations have carried over from the Paterno regime.
Exactly. I would love to be under-performing like OSU. They get to CFP numerous times, win one..not to mention numerous title games with another win over last 20 years. Texas had several top classes with 5 stars and not sniffing CFP. OSU's coaching and talent are top notch, plain and simple. Not one or other alone.

We have a much, much harder task playing a good PU team on road, first game. Nebraska nearly had Cats on ropes before that on-side gaffe and TE got hurt. Without Brandon Joseph, that Cats secondary is very vulnerable. Nebraska could not exploit as QB and WRs got off-track in 4th. He was throwing ball too hard. Cats OL and DL are solid though. My takeaway for CJF, don't get cute like fake FG BS against UM. Let lines and run game do the talking. If we get man-handled then we will be miserable like Huskers fans. Need W here.

Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT