ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 2 - Match/discussion thread

This MF is a stud. 14 points (and counting) with 5.5 bonus (and counting) from a backup who was down at 141 to start the year. I need to see the replay but believe he was trying to turn 3 into 7 on the first takedown against Abas, which is the type of style you love to see.

One SVN injury from 7 finalists, and Kasak has been the most fun to watch for me.
Worth noting - Kasak as a recruit was ranked 10 by Flo; Patrick Kennedy 8. See how easy it is to win with top 10 recruits? You just throw them out there 🙄

Yes, I have inside info from Jeff Byers, who has stated that Bartlett intends to return next season.
I assume (don't know) that the plan next season is for 149 to be manned by SVN (the starter, before he got hurt).
I know that Kasak has a redshirt available, whereas SVN does not.
I assume (don't know) that Kasak could get back down to 141, if needed. However, other opinions about Kasak.
  • Not convinced that 141 is Kasak's "regular" weight. I think he was at 141 because SVN could be at 149 for three more seasons, and there is a greater team need at 141.
  • I think Kasak most natural and best weight is 149.
Crazy how many options Cael has. Iron shapes iron doesn't do this room justice, LOL.

Article about Penn State clinching the NCAA Title

If you missed Bernie's matches last night, then you can replay them on ESPN+. Both of Bernie's matches were on Mat 2. His first consi match against #10 Dylan Fishback (NCST) begins at the 1:25:00 mark. His second match against #7 Thomas Stewart Jr. (VT) begins at the 2:35:00 mark. Also, the first mat 2 match of last night was Davis vs. Volk, so that's there too.

If you don't have ESPN+, then here's some PBP:

184 consi R16: #6 Bernie Truax vs. #10 D.Fishback (NCST)
P1:
Both in center, circling, briefly tying up, then breaking apart
Bernie down on both knees in the center, then they're back into a tie on their feet
Fish half shot & Bernie too
Circling, faking, backing out, then engaging again
Fish moving forward & Bernie on the edge, but he circles back in
Back to center & tying up again, no committed shots by either, yet
Head slapping & semi shot by Bernie, nothing close
Back to tying up in the center
Fishback with a shot, but nothing
Tying up again & pushing against each other
More fakes & tying up & circling as the period ends
No score

P2:
Choice Bernie, he defers
Fishback takes down
Fishback quickly to his feet, but Bernie brings him back to the mat
Fishback on his feet again on the edge, but Bernie riding tough & brings him out of bounds, restart
Fishback to his feet, but Bernie brings him back again & they're on the edge, out of bounds, restart
Fishback to his feet right away, but Bernie throws in a leg & brings him back to the mat on the edge, out of bounds, restart, RT 58-sec
Fishback to his feet, tries for a reversal, but Bernie fights him off & they go out of bounds again, restart, RT 1:11
Fishback to his feet again, but Bernie brings him back down in the center of the mat
Bernie gets a leg in & has Fishback bellied out
Bernie rides him out, +2-min RT

P3:
Bernie takes down
Bernie to his feet, gets hand control & is out for the escape 1-0 (RT 1:52)
Bernie gets the ankle & works for the TD 4-0
Out of bounds, restart (RT 1:57)
Fishback to his feet, Bernie throws in a leg, Fishback fighting on the edge & they go out of bounds, restart
Fishback to his feet, but then back to his knees & Bernie wraps him up on the mat, stalemate
1-min left
Fishback to his feet again, Bernie trips him back down to the mat & now he is flat
Bernie riding like a beast in this match!
Fishback flat with Bernie cranking on him
Times going to run out with Bernie on top.
Riding time point Bernie 5-0

#6 Bernie Truax DEC #10 D.Fishback 5-0
Doing god's work this weekend Pete. Thank you.

Not saying you are wrong, but I thought you get a point for winning in the championship bracket. Then 4 for taking first. Then bonus. ?
1/2 point advancement on backside to determine 3rd vs 5th match. No more advancement points afterwards. Final matches are placement points + bonus - penalty only.

Reactions: mcpat
I miscounted before, and so did Basch. Have now done it in Excel so I can't miscount. The actual record is 54-9 = 85.7%. (EDIT: correction at the bottom.)

The data:
2010 = 1-1: W = Vallimont; L = Molinaro
2011 = 3-1: W = Molinaro, Taylor, Wright; L = Long
2012 = 5-0: W = Nico, Molinaro, Taylor, Ruth, Wright
2013 = 5-0: W = Nico, Taylor, Brown, Ruth, Wright
2014 = 2-2: W = Taylor, Ruth; L = Nico, Zain
2015 = 1-1: W = Brown; L = Gulibon
2016 = 5-0: W = Nico, Zain, Nolf, Nickal, McIntosh
2017 = 5-0: W = Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Hall, Nickal
2018 = 5-0: same 5 guys as 2017
2019 = 5-1: W = Nolf, Cenzo, Hall, Nickal, Cassar; L = Lee
2020 = no tourney
2021 = 4-0: W = RBY, Lee, Starocci, Brooks
2022 = 5-1: W = RBY, Lee, Starocci, Brooks, Dean; L = Kerk
2023 = 2-2: W = RBY, Levi; L = Bartlett, Van Ness
2024 = 6-0: Bartlett, Haines, Psycho, Starocci, Brooks, Kerk

EDIT: And I screwed up again. Read the brackets and somehow missed Carter and Aaron and Kerk in 2023.

Corrected:
2023 = 5-2: W = RBY, Levi, Starocci, Brooks, Kerk; L = Bartlett, Van Ness
Overall thru 2024 = 57-9 = 86.4%.

Last edited:
The way stalling has been called in this tournament will demand to be addressed in next year's rule changes. At the very least, the rules either need to be followed by the officials or need to be clarified/changed. Getting sick of seeing guys doing the work but getting dinged.
Rules are changed every 2 years, so there won't be rule changes this offseason.

There will be points of emphasis for next year, as there are every year. Hopefully this leads to more consistency. But it won't be rule changes.

Same for someone else's earlier thoughts of next year going to R3. There won't be any scoring changes next year for the same reason.

I miscounted before, and so did Basch. Have now done it in Excel so I can't miscount. The actual record is 54-9 = 85.7%.

The data:
2020 = no tourney
Looks like 2023 is missing AB and Carter in the win column.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Byers hinted at a redshirt for Davis next year saying he's unsure 125 is in the cards again (said it was tough this year but the kid was very disciplined)

Levi's winning sequence is exactly why you train all 3 styles.

To stand out of that sprawl and immediately take a Greco upper-body go-behind, then without blinking drop to a leg -- that's the kind of thing you don't do by training exclusively folk, and certainly not as fluidly as Levi did it.

And then kicking the back of Andonian's knee and going right to the half -- that has Jason Nolf written all over it.

Plus Levi might be the best I've ever seen at hooking the bottom leg while finishing a takedown. Did it again to finish the pin.

I miscounted before, and so did Basch. Have now done it in Excel so I can't miscount. The actual record is 54-9 = 85.7%.

The data:
2020 = no tourney

EDIT: And I screwed up again. Read the brackets and somehow missed Carter and Aaron in 2023.

Corrected:
2023 = 4-2: W = RBY, Levi, Starocci, Brooks; L = Bartlett, Van Ness
Overall thru 2024 = 56-9 = 86.2%.
I was combing through this data myself last night. Insane success rate. Also from 2023, Kerk DEC Hendrickson 4-2 in the semis before falling to Parris to make it 57-9 (86.4%), which I believe was the original number you quoted earlier in this thread.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I was combing through this data myself last night. Insane success rate. Also from 2023, Kerk DEC Hendrickson 4-2 in the semis before falling to Parris to make it 57-9 (86.4%), which I believe was the original number you quoted earlier in this thread.
Did I say I needed an editor? Make that several.

Some consolation that I was right in the first place ...

Will update the original.

Reactions: District four
The way stalling has been called in this tournament demands to be addressed in next year's rule changes. At the very least, the rules either need to be followed consistently by the officials or need to be clarified/changed. Getting sick of seeing guys doing the work but getting dinged.
true... I think trying to get out of a hold, like when being pulled onto the mat via an ankle, that the motion of crawling ob to get out of that hold is the same as backing out... no? Never see it called... or seldomly

true... I think trying to get out of a hold, like when being pulled onto the mat via an ankle, that the motion of crawling ob to get out of that hold is the same as backing out... no? Never see it called... or seldomly
It is rarely called, but specifically listed in the rule book, "Stalling by kicking out of bounds".
I'm not sure what the interpretation of the rule is, but it is pretty clear to me.

"A wrestler kicks out of a lower leg
hold and this kick out requires the referee to make an out-of-bounds call."

Byers hinted at a redshirt for Davis next year saying he's unsure 125 is in the cards again (said it was tough this year but the kid was very disciplined)
Lilledahl is coming in & he's an offensive juggernaut. He looks ready to go. Davis can bulk up & challenge for 133 or redshirt.

Reactions: Creek Side
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT