ADVERTISEMENT

Heard another roster spot is opening up at duhOSU

Big 0

Jun 28, 2001
Neighbor of mine, who is originally from my home town, has a nephew who has a full ride scholarship with the Buckeyes. Both his father and his uncle (my current neighbor's brothers and guys I knew back in high school in Warren, OH) played for OSU back in the late 70's. He is from the Columbus area and jumped at the chance to play for OSU and was an early commit, obviously because of his family ties to the program. He is an excellent student and turned down a full ride scholarship to Stanford. Now Urbie tells him that he has two choices - dedicate himself full time to football, as in there is no time for academics but only football (now you know where Cardale was coming from) or quit the program to continue his academics "because there is no time for both." Apparently there are many hours of practice activities that are off the books so to speak (unorganized team activities) but are considered mandatory. This particular player had to miss a couple of these activities to pursue his academics and word got back to UM, so he called him into his office to lay down the law. UM wants only players who came to play football and not play school, so it makes it easier for him to clear a roster spot when oversigning, especially for a player is a true student athlete and on the field contributor, but not one of the superstars on the team.

This has soured the whole family on Meyer and OSU football as it exists currently. They were massive OSU FB fans and now could care less what the team does. They actually would like to see OSU fail and lead to UM's demise. They now call him Urban Liar.

The player is now looking to transfer to another Big 10 team, and there is one of the better teams in the league extremely interested in him, but I am not going to comment on that further except to say it's not Penn State.

As an aside I got confirmation from my neighbor here in the Columbus area what I was told by my neighbor in FL (I spend about a quarter of the year down south) with regard to Mike Vrabel leaving the OSU staff and joining BOB down in Houston. My neighbor in FL is good friends with Vrabel's mother and heard from her that he left under very bad circumstances with much bad blood between him and Meyer. This was after he had just built his million dollar dream house, which is located about a mile from me, and is still for sale if you are interested. That is just how bad the relationship got. My neighbor here in C'bus said UM and Vrabel got into a physical altercation after the Michigan State loss a couple of years ago, eye-witnessed by her nephew.

That's very interesting, and I believe every word of it, not making light of it at all. It sounds similar to what Rich Rod was doing at UMich before he got into trouble. Depending how pissed they are and how far they want to take it. They should report it to the faculty rep, a media person and or the ncaa.

It most likely OSU, " requires" their players to come in for extra film study on their own or has then walk thru the plays with the qbs w/o the coaches and other stuff.

Concerning transferring to another B1G team - wouldn't he have to sit two years? Or is he looking to give up football? If I were him, I'd see if Stanford still had any interest...

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Concerning transferring to another B1G team - wouldn't he have to sit two years? Or is he looking to give up football? If I were him, I'd see if Stanford still had any interest...

Nope, sits one, per NCAA rule, but loses one year of eligibility, per conference rule.

Neighbor of mine, who is originally from my home town, has a nephew who has a full ride scholarship with the Buckeyes. Both his father and his uncle (my current neighbor's brothers and guys I knew back in high school in Warren, OH) played for OSU back in the late 70's. He is from the Columbus area and jumped at the chance to play for OSU and was an early commit, obviously because of his family ties to the program. He is an excellent student and turned down a full ride scholarship to Stanford. Now Urbie tells him that he has two choices - dedicate himself full time to football, as in there is no time for academics but only football (now you know where Cardale was coming from) or quit the program to continue his academics "because there is no time for both." Apparently there are many hours of practice activities that are off the books so to speak (unorganized team activities) but are considered mandatory. This particular player had to miss a couple of these activities to pursue his academics and word got back to UM, so he called him into his office to lay down the law. UM wants only players who came to play football and not play school, so it makes it easier for him to clear a roster spot when oversigning, especially for a player is a true student athlete and on the field contributor, but not one of the superstars on the team.

This has soured the whole family on Meyer and OSU football as it exists currently. They were massive OSU FB fans and now could care less what the team does. They actually would like to see OSU fail and lead to UM's demise. They now call him Urban Liar.

The player is now looking to transfer to another Big 10 team, and there is one of the better teams in the league extremely interested in him, but I am not going to comment on that further except to say it's not Penn State.

As an aside I got confirmation from my neighbor here in the Columbus area what I was told by my neighbor in FL (I spend about a quarter of the year down south) with regard to Mike Vrabel leaving the OSU staff and joining BOB down in Houston. My neighbor in FL is good friends with Vrabel's mother and heard from her that he left under very bad circumstances with much bad blood between him and Meyer. This was after he had just built his million dollar dream house, which is located about a mile from me, and is still for sale if you are interested. That is just how bad the relationship got. My neighbor here in C'bus said UM and Vrabel got into a physical altercation after the Michigan State loss a couple of years ago, eye-witnessed by her nephew.

Couple of comments:

1 - The whole "extra hours" thing: I am shocked! Shocked!!!! LOL
This is the norm at just about every big-time program. This has been discussed at length several times, particularly back in the "should the players be paid" days. Many folks still cling to the fairy-tale that the "student-athlete" receives this valuable academic scholarship - and should be happy with that.

In most cases - for the $$$$ sports especially - the value of that "scholarship" is near $0. The likelihood, even for a motivated student, to earn a meaningful degree at MOST of the big-time $$$ programs is near zero......for just the kind of stuff your friend's kid just witnessed. This is the norm, not the outlier, at big-time programs.
It is also not a new paradigm. Bear Bryant was known to lecture his boys on what their purpose was - to play football for the University of Alabama. He made sure that they all knew that - once their playing days were over - they would all be welcomed back if they wanted to go to classes and get an education. He and the fellas would take care of that. But, while they were playing ball, he didn't expect any distractions - like classes - to get in the way.

2 - What percentage of PSU fans would have LOVED it if Urby had signed on at PSU? I think we all know the answer.
Thank God that fate intervened. Gotta' find your silver linings where you can.

Urby.....the poster child for the "League of $10,000,000/year Gym Teachers".

Actually, upon further consideration......Urby would have been THE PERFECT FIT at PSU for the band of scoundrels and hypocrites running the place.

BTW - The player you are talking about......sounds an awful lot like the situation with the WR (long greek last name).....but I think he already left the Buckeye program (a year or so ago), so this must be ANOTHER one. Alas.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownLion
This is why I continue to say, despite Franklin's recruiting successes, that Penn State will rarely compete for a National Championship unless we play by the same rules as OSU and the SEC. If we want to maintain "Success With Honor", we will have some very good teams, and go to some very good bowls, but will only have a title shot every 7-10 years when everything falls into place. That's OK with me. It may not sit well with others.

This is why I continue to say, despite Franklin's recruiting successes, that Penn State will rarely compete for a National Championship unless we play by the same rules as OSU and the SEC. If we want to maintain "Success With Honor", we will have some very good teams, and go to some very good bowls, but will only have a title shot every 7-10 years when everything falls into place. That's OK with me. It may not sit well with others.
I'm with you. I'd like to think that maintaining some semblance of a "student-athlete" model can still be congruent with being pretty successful on the field.
I expect that programs like Stanford - which has won a fair bit over the last decade - still at least allow for kids to get a legit education.........and I think the same holds true for PSU, Northwestern, and several other programs.
Certainly, it makes it a lot easier to win - and to win at a higher level - when you use the OSU model.

I hope that enough others agree that it would be far better to win 2 out of 6 against OSU......win 9 or 10 games in a typical year.....and be in the running for a conference crown a couple of times per decade..............all while providing a legitimate college experience for the kids - rather than being an "equal" to a program like Urby's OSU, both on and off the field.

Probably true but who can put any stock in an anonymous poster citing an anonymous source?

There is anonymous DBag RU grad on RU board who claims to be a PSU prof and constantly rips PSU.

Reactions: PSU_Nut

It would sit with me just fine. The way Franklin is recruiting, I think he will win a lot of games, but he may not bring in the level of talent to compete with the likes of Tosu and Bama. However, if Franklin continues to graduate his players, I will be fine with it.

Probably true but who can put any stock in an anonymous poster citing an anonymous source?

There is anonymous DBag RU grad on RU board who claims to be a PSU prof and constantly rips PSU.
I hear what you're saying......but it's kinda' like someone saying "water is wet", and then someone else challenging that statement because they "didn't attach a link". :)

Urban will win the next 10 national titles .
His recruiting is better than any SEC team, plus he can coach.

Urban will win the next 10 national titles .
His recruiting is better than any SEC team, plus he can coach.

That's cute. Yes, urban will continue to have success, but let's get real. Given his track record, he may not even be coaching in 10 years.

That is what happens in BT CFB. If you want to challenge for the top spot, you have got to operate like the SEC teams, Texas, Oklahoma, Nike U, U$C, F$U, Clemson, and O$U. The only difference between what UM is doing at O$U and what RichRod tried to do at scUM is that UM won and RR didn't. I luv my Nits but I hope Franklin doesn't subscribe to that formula.... the class 2017 will tell as he will have to "thin the Herd" to get a full class of recruits in. How he does that will be interesting. His natural out is that there will be alot of OB's boys who have been at PSU for 4 years. Graduate and move on....

I'm with you. I'd like to think that maintaining some semblance of a "student-athlete" model can still be congruent with being pretty successful on the field.
I expect that programs like Stanford - which has won a fair bit over the last decade - still at least allow for kids to get a legit education.........and I think the same holds true for PSU, Northwestern, and several other programs.
Certainly, it makes it a lot easier to win - and to win at a higher level - when you use the OSU model.

I hope that enough others agree that it would be far better to win 2 out of 6 against OSU......win 9 or 10 games in a typical year.....and be in the running for a conference crown a couple of times per decade..............all while providing a legitimate college experience for the kids - rather than being an "equal" to a program like Urby's OSU, both on and off the field.
+1000

I love winning as much as anyone... But if I was asked... Would you rather have PSU mentioned in the same category as Teams and Academic institutions like Stanford and Northwestern versus schools like Ohio State , Alabama or Oregon( built for just winning National Titles)... I'd take the former any day. Not a second thought.

Also... Will be very interesting to see what the long term effects are of what's happened at North Carolina on college sports and the NCAA...how serious is the NCAA and for that matter University Presidents really on academic integrity...

I get that college sports are big business however... Once a school starts to lose its academic reputation... That's a very hard thing to come back from.

Look at UNC... Actually a very good academic institution... With now a tattered reputation in regards to higher learning... At least with most of the GP.

Couple of comments:

1 - The whole "extra hours" thing: I am shocked! Shocked!!!! LOL
This is the norm at just about every big-time program. This has been discussed at length several times, particularly back in the "should the players be paid" days. Many folks still cling to the fairy-tale that the "student-athlete" receives this valuable academic scholarship - and should be happy with that.

In most cases - for the $$$$ sports especially - the value of that "scholarship" is near $0. The likelihood, even for a motivated student, to earn a meaningful degree at MOST of the big-time $$$ programs is near zero......for just the kind of stuff your friend's kid just witnessed. This is the norm, not the outlier, at big-time programs.
It is also not a new paradigm. Bear Bryant was known to lecture his boys on what their purpose was - to play football for the University of Alabama. He made sure that they all knew that - once their playing days were over - they would all be welcomed back if they wanted to go to classes and get an education. He and the fellas would take care of that. But, while they were playing ball, he didn't expect any distractions - like classes - to get in the way.

2 - What percentage of PSU fans would have LOVED it if Urby had signed on at PSU? I think we all know the answer.
Thank God that fate intervened. Gotta' find your silver linings where you can.

Urby.....the poster child for the "League of $10,000,000/year Gym Teachers".

Actually, upon further consideration......Urby would have been THE PERFECT FIT at PSU for the band of scoundrels and hypocrites running the place.

BTW - The player you are talking about......sounds an awful lot like the situation with the WR (long greek last name).....but I think he already left the Buckeye program (a year or so ago), so this must be ANOTHER one. Alas.
If you think PSU coaches are not paying close attention to the "voluntary" off season workouts and paying close attention to who is participating and who is not, you are fooling yourself!! And that "voluntary" participation figures into playing time decisions and roster position. But I do think certainly in the Paterno era PSU did not run guys off like the SEC or Ohi state. Not sure yet about Franklin, keeping in mind he is an SEC coach and was brought to PSU for some reason.......

That is what happens in BT CFB. If you want to challenge for the top spot, you have got to operate like the SEC teams, Texas, Oklahoma, Nike U, U$C, F$U, Clemson, and O$U. The only difference between what UM is doing at O$U and what RichRod tried to do at scUM is that UM won and RR didn't. I luv my Nits but I hope Franklin doesn't subscribe to that formula.... the class 2017 will tell as he will have to "thin the Herd" to get a full class of recruits in. How he does that will be interesting. His natural out is that there will be alot of OB's boys who have been at PSU for 4 years. Graduate and move on....
I'm no fan of RR, but what did he try to do at UM that's comparable to Meyer?

If you think PSU coaches are not paying close attention to the "voluntary" off season workouts and paying close attention to who is participating and who is not, you are fooling yourself!! And that "voluntary" participation figures into playing time decisions and roster position. But I do think certainly in the Paterno era PSU did not run guys off like the SEC or Ohi state. Not sure yet about Franklin, keeping in mind he is an SEC coach and was brought to PSU for some reason.......
Of all my faults, being naive wrt the operation of big money college sports programs is not one of them. I certainly have seen enough to know that the PSU football program of 2010s is - from a student athlete perspective - HUGELY different from the program in the 70s or 80s
I will also tell you:
1 - I HATE that it has come to that
2 - the LAST people to benefit from those changes are the "student athletes" (as opposes to the coaches, administrators, tv networks, and the NFL and NBA.....among others)

3 - "we", the fans, are as responsible as anyone for enabling, supporting, and - in many cases - demanding those changes.

I will also say that with all of those changes, from a relative standpoint, I believe that PSU has, and continues, to do it more "right" than all but a handful of programs........ It is a shame that - nationwide - making even a token effort to enable the true student athlete model is now an outlier.

Reactions: step.eng69
I seem to recall U of M got written up for practices where non-coaches where coaching... some of the players complained about Sunday practices versus study time. or does that not sound like what UM is doing??? My daughter and my money went to U of M so don't go thinking I am a Michigan hater.

I seem to recall U of M got written up for practices where non-coaches where coaching... some of the players complained about Sunday practices versus study time. or does that not sound like what UM is doing??? My daughter and my money went to U of M so don't go thinking I am a Michigan hater.
Honestly, completely forgot about all that. But it was a bunch of BS. Which ever position was watching over practice is now required by NCAA. And I don't ever recall players not havin enough study time.

The key in that is the work Graduate in last partial sentence. I have no issue with thinning the herd provided the student is given the opportunity to earn his degree. If thinning starts with 3rd year juniors, I'll have a huge problem and suspect I won't be alone.

Joe had many a conversation with 3rd or 4th stringers who had earned their degree.

1. Not many "OB's boys" left in 2017
2. Not sure why who recruited them would be an "out"
3. OB's boys who will be left in 2017 will include Mahon, Sickels, Breneman, Gesicki, Godwin, Hamilton, Cabinda, Allen, and Nelson (assuming they don't leave before their fifth year). Since they are all 2015 starters, I doubt Franklin will want to run off players in 2017 with 2-3 years starting experience.
4. That leaves only Apke, Cothren, and Cothran.
5. Hard to see how Franklin has more than 13-14 Scholarships in 2017 if he takes 25 this year.

Well I just found out that what I initially reported was old news. My neighbor acted like it recently happened but my sister, a huge OSU fan with some ties to the program said this happened at the beginning of the last season. Apparently the player in question has been looking to play big time Div. I football somewhere where there is a good medical school for him to apply (the athletes pretty much have an "in" to get into professional school at the university where they played - this is from my own personal family experience).

Bjf was right about who it is, so if you look up the article about a player leaving OSU football for academics last fall you will know who my neighbor and source is. So zwick99, don't criticize what you don't know. I have never posted information on this site without revealing the source, only have done it when the time was right - as in when my daughter's best friend from college graduated from UF and no longer worked for the football program. When she was working for the program I would not reveal the who she was because if word got back, she more than likely would have lost her job, and she needed the money to help defray her college expenses.

Probably true but who can put any stock in an anonymous poster citing an anonymous source

If this is what Myers is doing, word will soon get out and hurt the Program in the long run.

This post is garbage. Seriously. You know a guy, who knows a guy, who says Meyer doesn't care about academics? Well then, I guess it's settled. Urban Meyer is a terrible human!

This post should be deleted and OP should be ashamed for evening posting it.

And let me add, that anybody responding in this thread that says they believe it, you're intellectually bankrupt. If somebody posted something like this about PSU and Franklin on their board all of you who say you believe every word would be dismissing it as rumor and nonsense. The people who believe this kind of stuff posted on the internet are the worst kinds of fans, including all of the PSU fans here who now feel superior because some guy knows a guy who says UM is a terrible person.

This post is garbage. Seriously. You know a guy, who knows a guy, who says Meyer doesn't care about academics? Well then, I guess it's settled. Urban Meyer is a terrible human!

And let me add, that anybody responding in this thread that says they believe it, you're intellectually bankrupt. If somebody posted something like this about PSU and Franklin on their board all of you who say you believe every word would be dismissing it as rumor and nonsense. The people who believe this kind of stuff posted on the internet are the worst kinds of fans, including all of the PSU fans here who now feel superior because some guy knows a guy who says UM is a terrible person.
Really?

Do you really think that it is UNUSUAL for Coaches at "big-time" football and basketball programs to make it clear that the sport is #1.....and that academics need to take a back seat?

Are you even a little bit surprised that Urby would be among those who place sport above school? Hell, I'd bet a goodly number of the PARENTS would steer their kids in the same direction.

Really?

I don't know if Urby is a "terrible human".....and I don't recall anyone making any similar claim (I may not have read ALL of the posts). But - if I had a kid who was a D1 level ballplayer, and wanted to play that sport in college - I most certainly would try to steer him to one of the handful of programs that is NOT run by a guy like Urby.

Sounds like Danny Ocean(George Clooney) when he tells Andy Garcia that, " I know a guy who knows a guy" and this is supposed to be taken seriously.

Reactions: jrd23psu
Really?

Do you really think that it is UNUSUAL for Coaches at "big-time" football and basketball programs to make it clear that the sport is #1.....and that academics need to take a back seat?

Are you even a little bit surprised that Urby would be among those who place sport above school? Hell, I'd bet a goodly number of the PARENTS would steer their kids in the same direction.

Really?

I don't know if Urby is a "terrible human".....and I don't recall anyone making any similar claim (I may not have read ALL of the posts). But - if I had a kid who was a D1 level ballplayer, and wanted to play that sport in college - I most certainly would try to steer him to one of the handful of programs that is NOT run by a guy like Urby.

Yes, really. This guy has a source, which is a guy he knows, who knows a guy. It's garbage. It's nothing but rumor and here you are, believing it. Why? Why would any reasonable person think this is credible? You do because you WANT to believe it because it's reinforces your own view that UM is a shady guy. And yes, the purpose of the OP was to paint Urban Meyer as a terrible person, along with OSU as a shady institution.

If I told you that a guy I know knows a guy who said James Franklin pays recruits to come to PSU, would you give it any credibility?

Yes, really. This guy has a source, which is a guy he knows, who knows a guy. It's garbage. It's nothing but rumor and here you are, believing it. Why? Why would any reasonable person think this is credible? You do because you WANT to believe it because it's reinforces your own view that UM is a shady guy. And yes, the purpose of the OP was to paint Urban Meyer as a terrible person, along with OSU as a shady institution.

If I told you that a guy I know knows a guy who said James Franklin pays recruits to come to PSU, would you give it any credibility?

LOL. Actually, I "knew" about it long before the OP made this post.

So.....yeah.....I have every reason to believe he is relaying accurate information. (a good bit of it I know is accurate, and the rest certainly is congruent with what I know).....not to mention the fact that this kind of stuff is common knowledge to anyone who follows college sports and doesn't have his head buried in the sand.

LOL. Actually, I "knew" about it long before the OP made this post.

So.....yeah.....I have every reason to believe he is relaying accurate information. (a good bit of it I know is accurate, and the rest certainly is congruent with what I know).....not to mention the fact that this kind of stuff is common knowledge to anyone who follows college sports and doesn't have his head buried in the sand.

Well then, when I said that anybody who believes this is the worst kind of fan, I was talking about you.
It's really no wonder why people read BWI and think every PSU fan is delusional. It's because of posters like you who give the rest of us a bad name because you believe every single rumor any message board warrior posts about another school while at the same time thinking PSU is literally the only program being run with integrity. You would never believe this kind of nonsense about PSU that was posted on a rival team's message board.

Reactions: Rutgers85
yawn1.gif

[QUOTFrank EpitropoulosE="Big 0, post: 273489, member: 800"]Well I just found out that what I initially reported was old news. My neighbor acted like it recently happened but my sister, a huge OSU fan with some ties to the program said this happened at the beginning of the last season. Apparently the player in question has been looking to play big time Div. I football somewhere where there is a good medical school for him to apply (the athletes pretty much have an "in" to get into professional school at the university where they played - this is from my own personal family experience).

Bjf was right about who it is, so if you look up the article about a player leaving OSU football for academics last fall you will know who my neighbor and source is. So zwick99, don't criticize what you don't know. I have never posted information on this site without revealing the source, only have done it when the time was right - as in when my daughter's best friend from college graduated from UF and no longer worked for the football program. When she was working for the program I would not reveal the who she was because if word got back, she more than likely would have lost her job, and she needed the money to help defray her college expenses.[/QUOTE]
Frank Epitropoulos

Stuff I can confirm:
- This particular player has expressed a desire to continue playing and recently visited MSU.
- This particular player is still currently enrolled at OSU.
- The Vrabel/Meyer thing was very real.

Stuff I have heard but cannot confirm, so take it FWIW:
- This player should have enough credits to graduate this summer (mid-August), at which point he could enroll as a grad student at MSU (or elsewhere).
- The coaching staff at this kid's HS have a very good relationship with the MSU staff, especially Mike Tressel and Mark Dantonio, and there have been whispers that the coaches "trust" Dantonio more than Meyer. Perhaps this is a reason why.

Stuff I have heard nothing about:
- I have heard nothing about Urban "pressuring" the kid to switch majors or quit. Nothing at all. Not saying it didn't happen, but I have heard nothing about it. However, about the time this kid left the OSU team is the same time I heard rumors that his old HS coaches were kinda "souring" on OSU. At the time, I did not assume the two to be related, but perhaps they could be. I just don't know for certain.

Pure speculation on my part:
- I'm almost certain this kid had a full-ride academically, and I think the pressure wasn't for him to "quit" per se, but rather to give up his athletic scholarship to free it up for someone else, knowing that he'd still have an academic scholarship. My basis for this is that I personally know of other kids on the team who were purposely not offered athletic scholarships because they already had academic full-rides and had expressed interest to willingly join the team as preferred walk-ons instead of accepting a football scholarship elsewhere.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Stuff I can confirm:
- This particular player has expressed a desire to continue playing and recently visited MSU.

- This player should have enough credits to graduate this summer (mid-August), at which point he could enroll as a grad student at MSU (or elsewhere).
- The coaching staff at this kid's HS have a very good relationship with the MSU staff, especially Mike Tressel and Mark Dantonio, and there have been whispers that the coaches "trust" Dantonio more than Meyer. Perhaps this is a reason why.

- I have heard nothing about Urban "pressuring" the kid to switch majors or quit. Nothing at all. Not saying it didn't happen, but I have heard nothing about it. However, about the time this kid left the OSU team is the same time I heard rumors that his old HS coaches were kinda "souring" on OSU. At the time, I did not assume the two to be related, but perhaps they could be. I just don't know for certain.

- I'm almost certain this kid had a full-ride academically, and I think the pressure wasn't for him to "quit" per se, but rather to give up his athletic scholarship to free it up for someone else, knowing that he'd still have an academic scholarship. My basis for this is that I personally know of other kids on the team who were purposely not offered athletic scholarships because they already had academic full-rides and had expressed interest to willingly join the team as preferred walk-ons instead of accepting a football scholarship elsewhere.
I don't know who you are talking about....so I can't comment on the first three parts of your post.

But - the 4th part - is pure nonsense. Just doesn't work that way......but its not worth debating.

url-88.jpeg

Stuff I can confirm:

B.S. Everyone knows the toughest thing about Ohio State's Pre-Med program is the fact that you need to buy the 24-pack of crayons, instead of the 16-pack you need for the other majors there. No one goes to that cow town for a real education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT