ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Penn State MBB @ Northwestern

I don't know.. we've beaten Illinois twice, Michigan, Indiana, and Nebraska by double digits.. our biggest issue was not being able to win the close tough games where one or two play make the difference. The team is evolving with different contributors each night. If Cam keeps playing the way he is this could be one of the surprise teams of the tournament if we get in.. Guard play and the 3 point shot rule the tournament. Maryland has one Big Ten road win. Let's not let them get two.
You may be right about that. But it's more a consequence of hot/cold perimeter shooting when that's all you really have.

Reactions: bdgan
You may be right about that. But it's more a consequence of hot/cold perimeter shooting when that's all you really have.
I don't think it's just a matter of being hot or cold. I think it's the quality of shots we get. When Pickett can back his defender down in the paint he often kicks it out to open 3 pt shooters. When he can't do that the shooters are coming off screens, not squared to the basket, and have a hand in their face. Then the percentage is much lower and it's not a matter of simply being cold. But I agree 100% that we don't have a L. Stevens type who can score at the basket. We don't even have a J. Harrar type who can put back an offensive rebound.

I don't think it's just a matter of being hot or cold. I think it's the quality of shots we get. When Pickett can back his defender down in the paint he often kicks it out to open 3 pt shooters. When he can't do that the shooters are coming off screens, not squared to the basket, and have a hand in their face. Then the percentage is much lower and it's not a matter of simply being cold. But I agree 100% that we don't have a L. Stevens type who can score at the basket. We don't even have a J. Harrar type who can put back an offensive rebound.
There is truth to that as well. But sometimes, like the 2nd half of Rutgres, we hit all the wide open looks as well.

Reactions: OzLion
WOuld love to see some early offense quick hitters for a shooter. Just something to change it up so defenses cant double PIckett with 10 sec on the shot clock. Dont need it every possession but every couple trips after a stop try to run a quick rub or pin down for Funk or Wynter.

Reactions: Online Persona
Just watched the BTN interview with Micah. Really, really like him. Extremely likable guy. He is great representative for PSU basketball. We did well to get him.
Agree. Just watched that - allot from the Paterno playbook: praised the other team - admitted his own coaching errors - praised the work ethic of his players.

He's a keeper!. In the past PSU fans have wanted the admin to fire our hoops coach, but this time we'll be hoping we can keep our coach around.

Next year will be very interesting, we'll see how he rebuilds with the seniors leaving, dealing with the situation he inherited where there were zero recruits in one year, and working this years freshmen into more prominent roles.

Reactions: bison13
Agree. Just watched that - allot from the Paterno playbook: praised the other team - admitted his own coaching errors - praised the work ethic of his players.

He's a keeper!. In the past PSU fans have wanted the admin to fire our hoops coach, but this time we'll be hoping we can keep our coach around.

Next year will be very interesting, we'll see how he rebuilds with the seniors leaving, dealing with the situation he inherited where there were zero recruits in one year, and working this years freshmen into more prominent roles.
Loved his interview. Always seemed like a great guy. But the team doesn’t look well coached. To much standing around watching Pickett try to score. Disorganized. Hope he picks it up.

Mahaffey and Wynter!!!!!
Wynter has stepped up the last three games. He is showing senior leadership. I like Mahaffey. Yes he makes Freshman mistakes at times but he gives great effort and is an aggressive rebounder. He will be much better next season as will Kebba Njie after a year in the weight room.
If this team can beat Maryland @ home and win a first round game in the B1G tourney I think they might be one of the "first four" (play-in round @ Dayton, OH)

Reactions: bison13
Does Maryland have a guy or a type of defense that can shut Pickett down like Rutgers did? Although I think the Rutgers debacle was more about us missing every single shot, literally, versus some kind of incredibly innovative defense they employed. I think we had open looks and did knock any of them down.

I would like to see Pickett get back to scoring more although his 11 assists last night was huge. If Wynter continues his stellar play. Funkmeister knocks down 3s and Pickett is the maestro facilitator/playmaker then I like our chances especially at home in front of hopefully a raucous crowd.

Does Maryland have a guy or a type of defense that can shut Pickett down like Rutgers did? Although I think the Rutgers debacle was more about us missing every single shot, literally, versus some kind of incredibly innovative defense they employed. I think we had open looks and did knock any of them down.
They've generally got size at the 3-5, so the game is about trying to get Pickett matched up on Young/Martinez via switches. They did a decent job keeping him in check in the first meeting, although it was more about our defense costing us that one. They went to the line 23 times to our 4...that was the difference.

I would like to see Pickett get back to scoring more although his 11 assists last night was huge. If Wynter continues his stellar play. Funkmeister knocks down 3s and Pickett is the maestro facilitator/playmaker then I like our chances especially at home in front of hopefully a raucous crowd.
I think most guards and small forwards at that level can hit open 3s consistently. I bet in practice can easily hit 16 out of 20. Things change when you're tired, not square to the basket, the pass isn't good, or you're rushed by a defender.

I was impressed with Wynter's game winner because the pass was below his knees which often messes up a shooter's rhythm.

I'd like to see Pickett get into the paint again. The last two games he was double teamed 20 ft from the basket. I don't know if that's the quality of the defenders or a new found strategy. Regardless I think the key is for Pickett to reverse the ball quickly. We have 3 guys who can shoot and Wynter can penetrate into the space vacated by the double team.

They've generally got size at the 3-5, so the game is about trying to get Pickett matched up on Young/Martinez via switches. They did a decent job keeping him in check in the first meeting, although it was more about our defense costing us that one. They went to the line 23 times to our 4...that was the difference.
We were in that game until the 9-0 run at the 6 minute mark of the 2nd half ruined us.

I think most guards and small forwards at that level can hit open 3s consistently. I bet in practice can easily hit 16 out of 20. Things change when you're tired, not square to the basket, the pass isn't good, or you're rushed by a defender.

I was impressed with Wynter's game winner because the pass was below his knees which often messes up a shooter's rhythm.

I'd like to see Pickett get into the paint again. The last two games he was double teamed 20 ft from the basket. I don't know if that's the quality of the defenders or a new found strategy. Regardless I think the key is for Pickett to reverse the ball quickly. We have 3 guys who can shoot and Wynter can penetrate into the space vacated by the double team.
Wynter getting to the hoop is huge for us. Funk and Lundy cannot so we need that to put pressure on the D.

So I would think that a win Sunday would solidify it
I've said I think it makes us a coin flip (if we also lost on Thursday). A win, and we might meet up with Maryland again on Thursday. Going 1-1 over two more Quad 1 games won't hurt us, and should even give us a little bit of a bump. However, we have to assume that at least 1-2 bids get stolen via surprising conference tourney winners and/or a team getting hot.

Two scenarios that I think make it a tossup are the win Sunday and loss Thursday in Chicago, or the loss Sunday and a loss on Saturday in Chicago. Do more that that and we should feel pretty safe. Less, and we're hosting an NIT game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT