ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold vs. CStar

Last night may not be indicative. We saw Lewis live on Friday night at Rutgers and he did not look good. Seems like too many miles on the tires. Physically, he looks kinda shot.

Otoh, I don't know how smart it is to poke the bear. Lewis may be dinged up, but Carter looks primed for a great year. He does seem to have jumped a level, which for a 3 time champ is scary.

We saw Brooks at Final X against DT and it was obvious how much more comfortable he is up a weight. 197 field better be prepared for an onslaught.
I don't think Brooks is close to Taylor. Taylor seems to back off a bit when wrestling his brother's from Penn State and his world team members. He doesn't have near the aggression that he does against other opponents. I'm a Hawk fan but I love Taylor and team USA.
I'd have to see what Brooks could do with Yaz before I believe he's anywhere near Taylor.
Yaz destroys anyone in the world not named Taylor.
With that said, when Taylor retires, I'm very excited to see Brooks take over 86kg
I think he's an Olympic and multi time world champion in training.

Last edited:
Hoping Bo Nichol gets back in the mix someday!!!
My .02 cents as a rival fan. Never happen, Bo tested the waters and unfortunately his competition is David Taylor. He's all in on MMA and he's not looking back.
Met Bo in Niceville and again in Vegas this spring.
Nicest , most polite guy. Took selfies and signed for 30 minutes in Vegas.
Classy guy, many mistake his confidence for arrogance. As a Hawk fan I did the same, until I met him.

My .02 cents as a rival fan. Never happen, Bo tested the waters and unfortunately his competition is David Taylor. He's all in on MMA and he's not looking back.
Met Bo in Niceville and again in Vegas this spring.
Nicest , most polite guy. Took selfies and signed for 30 minutes in Vegas.
Classy guy, many mistake his confidence for arrogance. As a Hawk fan I did the same, until I met him.
You mean 'Ol Noodle Arms?

Reactions: danoftw
Gabe Arnold was just on clash of combat podcast. Did not watch it all yet but in his own words pretty much said he will be wrestling Carter at Iowa at 174. He said he wants to see if Carter can back up his words what he said in front of his mom and dad. Said a few other things too but nothing but respect. I watched Gabe's interview with Bader a few weeks ago also. Honestly he is a very nice down to earth young man. He is funny and loves wrestling and had some great stories from HS. Bartlett used to headlock him and whoop on him. Can not remember whole interview but he always smiling and laughing. Can tell he really wants to wrestle Carter. They need to make that the final match of the dual!!

Gabe Arnold was just on clash of combat podcast. Did not watch it all yet but in his own words pretty much said he will be wrestling Carter at Iowa at 174. He said he wants to see if Carter can back up his words what he said in front of his mom and dad. Said a few other things too but nothing but respect. I watched Gabe's interview with Bader a few weeks ago also. Honestly he is a very nice down to earth young man. He is funny and loves wrestling and had some great stories from HS. Bartlett used to headlock him and whoop on him. Can not remember whole interview but he always smiling and laughing. Can tell he really wants to wrestle Carter. They need to make that the final match of the dual!!
He said he uses starocci as tape to learn from and knows he is the guy to beat if he wants to achieve his goal of being a NC in 2024. There’s an island at the top of 74 that I don’t think anyone will reach but I do think Gabe can plant himself in that 2nd tier of guys.

No chance in hell. Brands will sit him.
It makes more sense for him to bump up and wrestle 184 against us. He has zero shot at Starroci! Nor does anyone at this point. And he will be light at the end of the year. He’s probably gonna start descending at some point too as he has his eyes set on the Olympics at 74kg. He’s the Hodge winner and it’s not close. Especially if they win at 125,141, 149, and 1 of 157 or 165. It’s not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen. And if they bring in AJ Ferrari which appears possible then bonus will be tough at 197. Bonus at 174 and HWT will be important.

It makes more sense for him to bump up and wrestle 184 against us. He has zero shot at Starroci! Nor does anyone at this point. And he will be light at the end of the year. He’s probably gonna start descending at some point too as he has his eyes set on the Olympics at 74kg. He’s the Hodge winner and it’s not close. Especially if they win at 125,141, 149, and 1 of 157 or 165. It’s not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen. And if they bring in AJ Ferrari which appears possible then bonus will be tough at 197. Bonus at 174 and HWT will be important.
I don’t think he’s bumping nor will brands sit him if they decide he’s not redshirting. This is a great experience for Gabe to learn from. Starocci will
Pick apart every weakness Gabe has and it will show where he needs to improve for next year when the weight really opens up.

I don’t think he’s bumping nor will brands sit him if they decide he’s not redshirting. This is a great experience for Gabe to learn from. Starocci will
Pick apart every weakness Gabe has and it will show where he needs to improve for next year when the weight really opens up.
Don't be surprised if the only person who potentially may be the only five-timer ever returns. If he wins this year, imo he'd be crazy not to attempt to come back for that title.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Don't be surprised if the only person who potentially may be the only five-timer ever returns. If he wins this year, imo he'd be crazy not to attempt to come back for that title.
I dont see it happening it’s meaningless after he gets 4. He seems ready to move on from college from the interviews he gives, it just doesn’t offer him any opportunity for better competition like freestyle would.

I dont see it happening it’s meaningless after he gets 4. He seems ready to move on from college from the interviews he gives, it just doesn’t offer him any opportunity for better competition like freestyle would.
Mostly I agree, but having the opportunity to distinguish yourself "forever" is something that should be seriously considered. Without deep thought, if he were my son, I'd strongly encourage him to go for five.

After that, I'd encourage my wife to encourage him to go for five. It would then be over as he'd be going for five...assuming he wins four.

Iowa isn’t sweeping all of those weights. In fact, it’s much more likely they lose all of them.

Mostly I agree, but having the opportunity to distinguish yourself "forever" is something that should be seriously considered. Without deep thought, if he were my son, I'd strongly encourage him to go for five.

After that, I'd encourage my wife to encourage him to go for five. It would then be over as he'd be going for five...assuming he wins four.
If by "my wife" you mean your checkbook, then maybe he'd listen. Maybe. Even then, not a given that he'd listen.

He's said repeatedly that he was on the fence about the 4th title, doesn't see any point in 5, and doesn't want to keep taking classes.

Plus he wants to get his MMA career underway.

If by "my wife" you mean your checkbook, then maybe he'd listen. Maybe. Even then, not a given that he'd listen.

He's said repeatedly that he was on the fence about the 4th title, doesn't see any point in 5, and doesn't want to keep taking classes.

Plus he wants to get his MMA career underway.
I hear ya, but let's see what happens. One of us will be wrong.

I'm not sure it's a true distinguisher if he gets five as there will probably be an asterisk beside it. I mean if Cael could have wrestled five does anyone think he wouldn't win a fifth. I get what you are saying but the conversation has always been four timer.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I'm not sure it's a true distinguisher if he gets five as there will probably be an asterisk beside it. I mean if Cael could have wrestled five does anyone think he wouldn't win a fifth. I get what you are saying but the conversation has always been four timer.
So, lets go there….. how would Cael have fared at NCAA’s in his RS (5th) year just for giggles and shits.

Reactions: District four
Cael didn't wrestle his true freshman year...
Regardless - is there an asterisk besides team scoring once it changed? Will there be one with all the tech/major's this year if someone sets a record? Lots of criteria change but the asterisks don't last...

Cael didn't wrestle his true freshman year...
Regardless - is there an asterisk besides team scoring once it changed? Will there be one with all the tech/major's this year if someone sets a record? Lots of criteria change but the asterisks don't last...
The question was “how would he have fared at nationals in his RS year“ HYPOTHETICALLY

he most certainly wrestled (and lost) in his first year of college.

You can't hate on Gabe for what he said about Carter when saying you will beat everyone ahead of you is Carter's MO. It's bold, it's risky but it's how these guys hold themselves accountable in some ways.

You can call Gabe out (like I did when he lost to Singleton) for when he loses but you can't hate on him overall. They also understand if they dish it, they need to take it and Gabe certainly seems willing to do that.

Reactions: PASLP2 and Ski
Right. Lots of kids had that chance at the start of the 21 season. Exactly one did at the end of that season. LOL.
Technically AJ Ferrari had the opportunity as well until midway through the following season when his injury forced him out of competition for the year

Why does everyone act like its inconceivable that Starocci could be upset.
By a very strong, very defensive, difficult to score on youngster.
Isnt that how Starocci got started.
Crookham over Vito.
Zain over Stieber
etc

That is not so say that one should put money on it
It’s a weight without quality depth. Mekhi hasn’t gotten any better, Griffith is cooked. I don’t see kharchala, devos, Arnold, or Wittlake being a problem for Carter, unless Gabe’s going to visionquest his way to a major upset.

Crookham over Vito.
Zain over Stieber
etc

That is not so say that one should put money on it.
It’s not inconceivable. Nothing should be inconceivable after watching Spencer counting lights last year. Gabe is very good. He’s on the short list of people with the ability to pull it off. With that said, don’t bet the farm on it. LOL.

Reactions: PASLP2
It’s not inconceivable. Nothing should be inconceivable after watching Spencer counting lights last year. Gabe is very good. He’s on the short list of people with the ability to pull it off. With that said, don’t bet the farm on it. LOL.
Matt Ramos showed he was Spencer’s kryptonite at the Purdue duel last year. When I saw Matt Ramos won in the quarters last year I knew it was very bad news for Spencer.

Matt Ramos showed he was Spencer’s kryptonite at the Purdue duel last year. When I saw Matt Ramos won in the quarters last year I knew it was very bad news for Spencer.
That dual if anything showed me how tough it is to beat Spencer under any circumstance. You can get a 15-1 lead and he can erase that in a period or he can just pin you. However I did see a long shot path to beat Spencer from that, basically you take him to the 3rd when the tank is empty and then you hit that move. I put the odds of it at under 1% but rest is history ….

Unthinkable upsets happen

Owings over Gable
80 Olympic hockey
86 Fiesta Bowl
Douglas over Tyson
App St vs Michigan
Argentina over United States
UMBC over Virginia
Farleigh Dickinson over Purdue
Joseph over Martinez
Ramos over Spencer

I fully expect 3x champ 5th Yr Senior Starocci to win his 4th and that a true freshman won’t stop him. But sh!t happens sometimes.

Reactions: Goathead88
Crookham over Vito.
Zain over Stieber
etc

That is not so say that one should put money on it.
"Thats what we do!"

Owings over Gable
80 Olympic hockey
86 Fiesta Bowl
Douglas over Tyson
App St vs Michigan
UMBC over Virginia
Joseph over Martinez
Ramos over Spencer

I fully expect 3x champ 5th Yr Senior Starocci to win his 4th and that a true freshman won’t stop him. But sh!t happens sometimes.
Douglas/Tyson, damn that was historic. The odds on that ending were enticing and subsequent payout on that outcome was astronomical.

Last edited:

Owings over Gable
80 Olympic hockey
86 Fiesta Bowl
Douglas over Tyson
App St vs Michigan
UMBC over Virginia
Joseph over Martinez
Ramos over Spencer

Chaminade vs Virginia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT