ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold vs. CStar

It is him or Swafford. I would assume that he will go this year. As far as Arnold vs Carter?

giphy.gif

Odds on Gabe getting dinged up the week before the dual meet?
If he’s their starter, why duck the bout? The freshman has nothing to lose and only lifelong legend to gain by taking the mat. An unhinged crowd screaming bloody murder for stall calls at a possibly intimidated ref only aids the fairy tale. That, and a legitimate talent whipping himself into “Vision Quest” mentality due to his own misguided boast. All that said, I assume we have no concern about Arnold’s tank-like, bowling ball physique giving Carter trouble?

If he’s their starter, why duck the bout? The freshman has nothing to lose and only lifelong legend to gain by taking the mat. An unhinged crowd screaming bloody murder for stall calls at a possibly intimidated ref only aids the fairy tale. That, and a legitimate talent whipping himself into “Vision Quest” mentality due to his own misguided boast. All that said, I assume we have no concern about Arnold’s tank-like, bowling ball physique giving Carter trouble?
Arnold is a good wrestler and has great defense. He is difficult to score on. You're correct. I can't see Gabe ducking him and yes, it is the perfect set-up for an upset. However, there is that skill gap...

Arnold is a good wrestler and has great defense. He is difficult to score on. You're correct. I can't see Gabe ducking him and yes, it is the perfect set-up for an upset. However, there is that skill gap...
I think the bout happens . . and I'm "really" counting on that gap.

All that said, I assume we have no concern about Arnold’s tank-like, bowling ball physique giving Carter trouble?
You could easily be describing Mekhi Lewis too. I would rate Lewis above Arnold, and Lewis's record against Carter is 0-2. It will be interesting to see how he does in the All Star match too.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
The best thing for us is to let Arnold get hyped up and Carter becomes focused on him. He'll punish him.

There have been a couple matches where CStar was going to punish a guy and he didn't wrestle well in those matches.

If he stays focused, Gabe isn't there yet. He is good though.

I saw this in Film 180 in Eisenhower. Fond memories of a useless class for an Econ Major.

I think we'll get a good sense tomorrow (later today) of just how much of a leap Carter's taken. Lewis always was a tough out before. Don't see Wittlake as much of a measuring stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
And something tells me Wittlake - after a pretty rough and tumble tenure at Ok St - found his way back home and isn’t exactly as engaged as he once was. He’s been pretty average for 2 years as it stands anyway.
like I said I am still waiting for Wittlake to show me something,anything?never lived up to his hype!

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Gabe is very much like a more athletic Nelson Brands. Hard to score on defensive wrestler. He will take his one or two attacks per match and play defense most of the time. It works and is the "Iowa Style" If ever any recruit was meant to be at a school it is the match of Gabe and Iowa. He may already be the most boring wrestler in the NCAA.

Gabe is very much like a more athletic Nelson Brands. Hard to score on defensive wrestler. He will take his one or two attacks per match and play defense most of the time. It works and is the "Iowa Style" If ever any recruit was meant to be at a school it is the match of Gabe and Iowa. He may already be the most boring wrestler in the NCAA.
He has what 3 matches? A TF, MD, and a decision against a top ten opponent. Seems a little harsh already.

He has what 3 matches? A TF, MD, and a decision against a top ten opponent. Seems a little harsh already.
i didn't just start watching him this year. He has great speed and is very good but you will see as he wrestled top 15ish guys he will remind you of Nelson. Way quicker but same style.

CStar easy major over Gabe. He will have a solid career but a puppy right now
Puppies bite, too. So many comparisons to Brands (who Carter only beat by a point last time out) but also called more athletic, is part of what worries me. Hope it happens. Will only add more drama to that wild night in February.

But will he bite someone like the one true Brands?

Reactions: AgSurfer
How many PSU fans gave freshman “GABE” Dean a chance in his second match against Ed Ruth. Disclaimer: I’ll still bet a bundle on CStar.

How many PSU fans gave freshman “GABE” Dean a chance in his second match against Ed Ruth. Disclaimer: I’ll still bet a bundle on CStar.
Why would have anyone outside the Dean family? Ed pinned him in under 1:30 in the first match.

Reactions: horraybeer
Anything can happen. It is wrestling. Arnold is a quality wrestler. CStar has been known to let people hang around. Not saying it will happen but anything can happen. CStart by 4.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
Anything can happen. It is wrestling. Arnold is a quality wrestler. CStar has been known to let people hang around. Not saying it will happen but anything can happen. CStart by 4.
Starocci has let people hang around and he's never lost in those scenarios. He got big moved against Washington coming off the COVID layoff and Kemerer didn't hang around during their first match, he kicked his ass lol

No, that Minnie guy is.

Agreed. To dismiss the kid is foolish. To cite past events as future gospel is iffy. To guarantee victory is arrogant. Freshmen are far better prepared for D1 than in the past (see Levi and others). Anything “can” happen, including a missed footfall, bad shot, unfair stalling calls, etc. The crowd, underdog karma, and likely the ref will be on Arnold’s side. Carter’s make-up and iron will seem able to counteract such advantages, and I expect his skill and experience to win the day. By 4 is fine with me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT