ADVERTISEMENT

Damon Sims obeys his masters, ignores IFC: KDR banned for 3 years

Really? It's appalling that I'm not willing to assume that someone is a criminal when the police and the "victim" are unwilling to take action? I guess you believe that Joe was a pedophile, too. I actually think that your credulous, sanctimonious attitude is appalling. Especially for a PSU person who should know all about media rushes to judgment.
Your ignorance to the concept that just because police can't proceed with charges or a victim chooses not to pursue charges means everything is fine. I don't think Joe is a pedophile. I just know that not every crime is prosecuted due to a variety of reason including lack of participation of the victim. Victims have many reason not to want to prosecute. Often they just want to move on. They may not want to see a friend or lover get in trouble. They may be scared of reprisal. They often blame themselves. However none of that means the crime didn't happen.

Oh, I don't know. Just spitballing here, but perhaps, jusssst perhaps fellow 18-22 year old fraternity brothers were reluctant to punish one of their own? Especially since they needed to have a unanimous vote to suspend. (Does mandatory unanimous votes ring any bells?) The punishment that IFC recommended was no punishment at all.

It would be interesting to see how many past suspensions were doled out by IFC and how many by the University.

Yea, their "punishment" was basically "ohh you rascals, don't be doing that,

People who think rush boobs are cool are probably the same one who think it no big deal to share photos of women passed out and naked. They would not view these women as victims and therefore not suspend the fraternity. You just are proving my point that fraternities often think disgusting things are no big deal.

You don't see a difference between, on the one hand, posting a picture you took of a nude, passed out woman, and on the other hand, posting a picture that a woman herself took of her boobs and sent to you to be shared with others? Let me guess: you're one of those people who think that sex should be prosecuted as rape unless that man obtains a signed release in beforehand.

Victims have many reason not to want to prosecute. Often they just want to move on. They may not want to see a friend or lover get in trouble. They may be scared of reprisal. They often blame themselves. However none of that means the crime didn't happen.
It does in the eyes of the law. Beyond that, feel free to keep making up any scenario you want.

You don't see a difference between, on the one hand, posting a picture you took of a nude, passed out woman, and on the other hand, posting a picture that a woman herself took of her boobs and sent to you to be shared with others? Let me guess: you're one of those people who think that sex should be prosecuted as rape unless that man obtains a signed release in beforehand.
If they were so freely given with a release why did they hide them? Why they delete the first page when someone find out about it? Why they delete the second one when the police were notified. Sorry but those don't sound like the actions of people who had permission to share.

I don't think it should be. I however believe that it require consent.

It does in the eyes of the law. Beyond that, feel free to keep making up any scenario you want.
It still a crime is just not a prosecutable one. It still occurred. The point is the university doesn't need criminal convictions to take action.

Yea, their "punishment" was basically "ohh you rascals, don't be doing that,

Hypothetically, what should your punishment be if your adult girlfriend takes a picture of her boobs and says "here's a picture of the girls for you to share with the boys", and you do so?

Hypothetically, what should your punishment be if your adult girlfriend takes a picture of her boobs and says "here's a picture of the girls for you to share with the boys", and you do so?

Considering that the police have stated that several women have been contacted and have the option of pressing charges, the REALITY is that not all of the pictures posted on the site were consensual.

Considering that the police have stated that several women have been contacted and have the option of pressing charges, the REALITY is that not all of the pictures posted on the site were consensual.

No, that's not the reality. The reality is that no woman has pressed charges so far as we know, the police and DA apparently have elected not to proceed on their own (although the investigation may still be open), and the IFC saw no cause to punish the fraternity. There might be nonconsensual pictures, but you have no idea whether there are, or are not.

No, that's not the reality. The reality is that no woman has pressed charges so far as we know, the police and DA apparently have elected not to proceed on their own (although the investigation may still be open), and the IFC saw no cause to punish the fraternity. There might be nonconsensual pictures, but you have no idea whether there are, or are not.

If the photos were consensual, the women would not have the option to press charges.

Other women who have stepped forward or been identified have been given their options as far as pressing charges of harassment and invasion of privacy, but none have rendered a decision yet, Robb said.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2015/05/...-of-kdr-investigation.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy
The Police and DAs very rarely proceed on their own in any crime. Just like they rarely proceed with murder charges if they haven't found the body.

Here is what we know also far about the investigation:

The investigation report issued on April 29 revealed a persistent series of deeply troubling activities within the fraternity. These activities included photographing individuals in extremely compromising positions and posting these photos to a private Facebook site accessible to the group’s members. Several instances of hazing, which included physical and emotional abuse, were uncovered, as were drug use and sales. And the investigation brought to light the persistent harassment of two female students, who were degraded through multiple postings to the organization’s private site over an extended period.

Personally, I think that Sims is a turd, but assuming that he correctly characterized the investigation's findings, I think that Penn State was right to suspend KDR.

Boys will be boys, but if a fraternity isn't teaching those boys to act like men, then it doesn't really serve a good purpose.

Reactions: simons96

Personally, I think that Sims is a turd, but assuming that he correctly characterized the investigation's findings, I think that Penn State was right to suspend KDR.

Boys will be boys, but if a fraternity isn't teaching those boys to act like men, then it doesn't really serve a good purpose.

I would tend to agree with you, if it weren't for the administrations absolutely abominable track record these last few years

I don't see how a 3 year suspension solves the problem, either

So you have nothing.

FYI, there are many ways to get nude pictures of women. There's even this thing now called "Google" and it will deliver them right to your computer screen. Also, in some cases, women will just send them to you. I've even seen some pictures that are pretty close right on this website.

So, your "suggestions" are worthless until you come up with something better, like a real victim.
You've no doubt seen all kinds of things (including the interior of your rectum) that have nothing to do with what happened in this case. Yet you speculate and toss out wild conclusions without anything to back them up. At least we know you've counseled your daughter to avoid fraternity parties, the back of police vans, and black neighborhoods. That pretty much addresses all of the problems. Well done.

II don't see how a 3 year suspension solves the problem, either
I know, from personal experience as an alumnus volunteer for my national fraternity, that this happens all the time. The suspension effectively cleans house. The guys who are undergraduate members at the time of the suspension are largely graduated by the time the chapter's suspension ends, and the premise is that an entirely new group of undergraduate members (members who are not afflicted by the attitude which caused problems in the first place) can be recruited.

As for the poster who opined that this solves nothing, and possibly motivates members of the suspended chapter to ignore even further any limitations on their conduct, I would note that a university rarely suspends a chapter of a national fraternity without some prior consultation and coordination with the national office staff of that fraternity. Typically, the national fraternity acts as well, suspending the chapter's charter and either expelling members or putting them on alumni status (meaning that they retain membership but cannot be associated with the chapter while they remain undergraduates). If the chapter is housed, the chapter house is typically owned by the local alumni housing corporation, which is also involved (typically prohibits the suspended undergraduate members from living in after the end of the semester in question, or boots them out mid semester in truly serious cases). The bottom line is that suspension generally can, and does, have a salutary effect, at least in terms of addressing the objectionable conduct..

Last edited:

The investigation report issued on April 29 revealed a persistent series of deeply troubling activities within the fraternity. These activities included photographing individuals in extremely compromising positions and posting these photos to a private Facebook site accessible to the group’s members. Several instances of hazing, which included physical and emotional abuse, were uncovered, as were drug use and sales. And the investigation brought to light the persistent harassment of two female students, who were degraded through multiple postings to the organization’s private site over an extended period.

It's an interesting statement. Let's break it down. The asserted violations are:

1) Maintaining a private Facebook page with photographs of "individuals in extremely compromising positions" and "multiple postings" constituting "harassment" of two female students.

2) Drug Use/Sales

3) "Physical and emotional abuse"

The drug use/sales doesn't impress me, as it seems to be an individual disciplinary issue unless it was fraternity-condoned, which the letter doesn't indicate.

Not sure what the "physical and emotional abuse" is, if something more than that house-cleaning that we heard about somewhere.

As to the Facebook page, first of all, it's Facebook. Secondly, "extremely compromising" may or may not mean nude--it could mean throwing up or passed out in public. The "two female" students thing sounds to me like they were privately making fun of a couple of students for some reason.

Although we don't have much detail, I keep coming back to the fact that IFC would have acted on these charges if they were actually as serious as the vagueness of Sim's letter allows them to be.

You've no doubt seen all kinds of things (including the interior of your rectum) that have nothing to do with what happened in this case. Yet you speculate and toss out wild conclusions without anything to back them up. At least we know you've counseled your daughter to avoid fraternity parties, the back of police vans, and black neighborhoods. That pretty much addresses all of the problems. Well done.

You can't even get basic facts right. I'm not the one speculating. I'm the one demanding that chicken littles like you produce some concrete facts before you comdemn someone as a criminal. Unfortunately, you learned nothing from what happened to Joe Paterno, so you just keep falling for the same dumb liberal memes over and over again. Don't worry, though--even though you've been wrong every time before, eventually you'll get one right. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

You can't even get your facts right on what I've said. I told my daughter not to pass out at fraternity parties. As for the Freddie Gray stuff, I see that you gratuitously threw in a "racism charge," which is a famous canard of weak-minded liberals when they inevitably get trapped by their stupidity, so bravo for falling back on the Al Sharpton play book. It must hurt you that every day that goes by proves me more right about the Freddie Gray situation. Remember the knife?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT